2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Chychrun would be a nice add but not sure if BT will prioritize D at this point.  He has only 1 more bullet... the 2023 1st round pick.  He needs to use it on a RW.. maybe Patrick Kane at TDL.  Chychrun would be a nice add if we can get him for Hanifin+.. ARZ will probably ask for Coronato or something.

If BT could swing this I would be on board. Chychrun has term making him somewhat expensive but also attractive. With Kane I would like to see another contract to make it worth while. I believe the flames need to move out 2-3 defensemen on one way contracts to bring in another good defenseman which means losing a top 4 guy plus 2 others. In addition, the loss of at least one forward prospect. Perhaps a 3 way deal could work. What may be best is to trade Hanifin for picks to another team and flip them to Arizona and Chicago along with prospects and a first round pick. What is Hanifin worth anyway? A first and a second?

5 hours ago, 7wit said:

If BT could swing this I would be on board. Chychrun has term making him somewhat expensive but also attractive. With Kane I would like to see another contract to make it worth while. I believe the flames need to move out 2-3 defensemen on one way contracts to bring in another good defenseman which means losing a top 4 guy plus 2 others. In addition, the loss of at least one forward prospect. Perhaps a 3 way deal could work. What may be best is to trade Hanifin for picks to another team and flip them to Arizona and Chicago along with prospects and a first round pick. What is Hanifin worth anyway? A first and a second?

I’d stay away from US born players for a while, and with the Add of Wegs I don’t see a major issue for another D whatsoever….sure maybe we could upgrade Hanifin but really adding a #1 D at the cost of possibly thinking out the bottom pair D seems kinda like a poor option…more balance is better I think.

the real hole in the line up is and has been for years RW, ideally a top line RW, heck I’d be fine if they even traded Toffoil and Dube and did a complete re-haul of the RW…not that I don’t like those two guys but honestly they are kinda like square pegs in round holes with the current team build…

in an ideal world…

a net driving RW for Lindhom and Huby 

a playmaking passer RW for Manji and Naz

Promote Pelletier for 3rd line LW  if he’s ready and play him with Coleman and Backlund…or promote Ruzi and play him on 3rd line RW with bac and Coleman if he’s more ready than Pelletier…in either case the rookie gets sheltered mins and has 2 amazing mentors.

as for the 4th line I’d love to unload Lucic and make room for both Pelletier and Ruzi on the 3rd and 4th line respectively….Ruzi can alternate between RW and Ctr on the 4th with Rooney….only question is who to ply on LW if we unload Lucic…though this option would still work with Lucic in but he has a tendency to saddle a line…

obviously Lewis is your go to Spare, can’t complain about his play as a spare ore 4th line, he’s as good as you can ask for that role.

From Friedman. 

As much as I do like the fit of Rodriguez I do think plan A should be exploring to see if you can trade a D for a F. Obviously there is a surplus there but in addition to that I think Plan A would be trying to see if the Flames can add a forward for their middle/bottom 6 who has some control. With half of their forwards UFA in the next 2 seasons it would be ideal if a trade acquisition could give them some depth for more than just a year or 2. 

I don't think they have the assets to acquire someone who is a top 6 player but a good/above avg bottom 6 player would help too. Not super easy to do so for nothing but a contract I certainly understand the appeal to Rodrigues. 

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

From Friedman. 

As much as I do like the fit of Rodriguez I do think plan A should be exploring to see if you can trade a D for a F. Obviously there is a surplus there but in addition to that I think Plan A would be trying to see if the Flames can add a forward for their middle/bottom 6 who has some control. With half of their forwards UFA in the next 2 seasons it would be ideal if a trade acquisition could give them some depth for more than just a year or 2. 

I don't think they have the assets to acquire someone who is a top 6 player but a good/above avg bottom 6 would help too. 

I agree with both these statements.

Hanifin is a risk to overpay in 2 years when we need cap for other major pieces.

Re-signing Hanifin, deciding on Backlund, Tanev, Kylington, Toffoli, Zadorov, rtc.

Rodriguez would be an okay addition to supplement wha we have in the bottom 6.

But we maybe shouldn't go into the season with 5 x top 4 D.

As nice it is to have depth there, we lack the top 6 depth at F.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

I’d stay away from US born players for a while, and with the Add of Wegs I don’t see a major issue for another D whatsoever….sure maybe we could upgrade Hanifin but really adding a #1 D at the cost of possibly thinking out the bottom pair D seems kinda like a poor option…more balance is better I think.

the real hole in the line up is and has been for years RW, ideally a top line RW, heck I’d be fine if they even traded Toffoil and Dube and did a complete re-haul of the RW…not that I don’t like those two guys but honestly they are kinda like square pegs in round holes with the current team build…

in an ideal world…

a net driving RW for Lindhom and Huby 

a playmaking passer RW for Manji and Naz

Promote Pelletier for 3rd line LW  if he’s ready and play him with Coleman and Backlund…or promote Ruzi and play him on 3rd line RW with bac and Coleman if he’s more ready than Pelletier…in either case the rookie gets sheltered mins and has 2 amazing mentors.

as for the 4th line I’d love to unload Lucic and make room for both Pelletier and Ruzi on the 3rd and 4th line respectively….Ruzi can alternate between RW and Ctr on the 4th with Rooney….only question is who to ply on LW if we unload Lucic…though this option would still work with Lucic in but he has a tendency to saddle a line…

obviously Lewis is your go to Spare, can’t complain about his play as a spare ore 4th line, he’s as good as you can ask for that role.

I agree with Lucic and Toffoli they seem to be the ones that stick out the most. Dube has the speed but for some reason has just never taken that next step. Maybe Toffoli was hurt but man did he look slow last year especially towards the end and playoffs. When you look at the adds we made and than try to plug and play there are  apparrent voids in the roster.  I get the feel good story on Pelletier but I just don't see it. Unless he crushes  it  and than some out of at camp, he doesn't make the roster. Realistically and Sutter alluded to this is with Ruzica is he needs to play higher in the line up not 4th line.  Could he be a Nichuskin 2.0? These prospects  are going to have to reinvent themselves to make the team. We all know we need skilled wingers Ruzicka may have to play wing and if he can't that could be the end of his tenure with the Flames.  This is the part that gets iffy for me I hate hate the IF factor for me its when or don't even attempt it. I do belive when this club gels whcih maybe faster than one thinks, our new guys will excell. We know that Hubie and Kadri make players around them better. The If this player does this or IF this player steps up is not a direction of success. Far to often this club has brough in reclamation projects with the IF they find their game, never works. By inserting Ruzicka on to the wing is the play its when he finds his game not IF he finds it, and that has always been his problem its been IF, he nevers seems to be that when guy. WIth a Rodrigues its a when they gel not IF for me, he has a proven track record. Sutter is this way as well there are no IFs in his vocbulary, this is a tough league you cant rely on IFs to be successful. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

From Friedman. 

I don't think they have the assets to acquire someone who is a top 6 player but a good/above avg bottom 6 player would help too. Not super easy to do so for nothing but a contract I certainly understand the appeal to Rodrigues. 

Rodriguez is a worthy gamble at $1.5-mil but that's all he is.  Just a gamble.  He alone is not top 6 material.  I'm okay if we took a swing but I'd rather we go after a proven top 6 guy.

For depth RW, I'd like to trade Dube for Puljujarvi.  Dube is lost under Sutter... And he's all speed and nothing else.  Gets pinned along the boards and loses the puck too easily.  Puljujarvi could be the next Nichushkin.  He's got the size and style of game.  And Puljujarvi puts up good defense stats if I remember correctly.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Rodriguez is a worthy gamble at $1.5-mil but that's all he is.  Just a gamble.  He alone is not top 6 material.  I'm okay if we took a swing but I'd rather we go after a proven top 6 guy.

For depth RW, I'd like to trade Dube for Puljujarvi.  Dube is lost under Sutter... And he's all speed and nothing else.  Gets pinned along the boards and loses the puck too easily.  Puljujarvi could be the next Nichushkin.  He's got the size and style of game.  And Puljujarvi puts up good defense stats if I remember correctly.

Pulijuarvi evrytime I watche him play reminds me of this. Put an Olier Jesey on that. 

Cow Has Her Tongue Her Nose Stock Photo 1435317917 ...

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Pulijuarvi evrytime I watche him play reminds me of this. Put an Olier Jesey on that. 

Cow Has Her Tongue Her Nose Stock Photo 1435317917 ...

If we're going to have Kadri here for the next 7 years then we need to find him wingers who suit his play.  Build the second line around him.  Give him a Nichushkin-type winger.

We should do Kylington for Puljujarvi if the Oilers want D.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Kraken have 16 NHL forwards. Only 6 NHL D.

If there's a D for F swap, it could be with them. 

Vegas also has only 6 NHL D, just signed Kessel, are $8M over the cap, have the highest cap hit in the league, traded away so many prospects, and as far as I know only have Lehner’s $5M LTIR and Nolan Patrick’s $1.2M coming off the books. 

I’d love to help them out with their D and youth situation by sending them both Valimaki + Dube who both have term and will be RFAs under team control, for say… someone who’s older… is a UFA in 2 years… is more expensive… can now be replaced by Kessel at his much lower cap hit… you know, someone like… Marchessault? 😏

Man alive, if we could get Marchie out of VGK, we’d be set. $3.85M going out and $5M coming in. Plus, we’d still be left with about $1M in cap to sign Ruzie, and Vegas would get younger plus save about $1.2M on their cap. 

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Vegas also has only 6 NHL D, just signed Kessel, are $8M over the cap, have the highest cap hit in the league, traded away so many prospects, and as far as I know only have Lehner’s $5M LTIR and Nolan Patrick’s $1.2M coming off the books. 

I’d love to help them out with their D and youth situation by sending them both Valimaki + Dube who both have term and will be RFAs under team control, for say… someone who’s older… is a UFA in 2 years… is more expensive… can now be replaced by Kessel at his much lower cap hit… you know, someone like… Marchessault? 😏

Man alive, if we could get Marchie out of VGK, we’d be set. $3.85M going out and $5M coming in. Plus, we’d still be left with about $1M in cap to sign Ruzie, and Vegas would get younger plus save about $1.2M on their cap. 

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

Doesn’t LVK have Webber’s 8+ mil

contact on the IR books…I think that all but solves their 8mil cap issue? 

if not then I should think they would need to shave more than 3 in and 5 out? But that’s gonna be very hard for them to do with their larger contracts having TLNTC/NMC’s…Otherwise Stone would be an ideal conversation for

a Hanifin+ swap  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Kraken have 16 NHL forwards. Only 6 NHL D.

If there's a D for F swap, it could be with them. 

What a dicey team I can't figure out wtf Francis is doing there. $11.4 tied up in sketchy goaltending, same money as us at forward but it's all just random scatterings. Who wants Eberle at $5.5? A can't stay healthy Schwartz? An overpaid Burakovsky is a 3rd liner on a good team. Donskoi at $3.9 for a 3rd RWer is decent value. Their entire roster is built around everything we don't really need. Gourde? I love the player, but is he a top 6 RW? Probably, but also less than ideal. Weird that he is their best player.

Very strange setup going on there.

4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

if not then I should think they would need to shave more than 3 in and 5 out? But that’s gonna be very hard for them to do with their larger contracts having TLNTC/NMC’s…Otherwise Stone would be an ideal conversation for

a Hanifin+ swap  

True story. Almost $7.9 for 4 more years. They'll fill their roster with ELCs. Still without a goalie. What a mess.

Gave away both Fleury and Pacioretty in humiliating fashion. I hate Vegas as a town, they made it incredibly easy to hate their franchise.

Shallow af. What did we expect, it's Vegas.

Why any player not in their twilight would wanna play there is beyond me. Pacioretty talking about lack of accountability.lol

Dude, you're in the tackiest place on earth. It's hardly the place to go to looking for any semblance of character.

What did you expect? If you're going to give the Americas an enema, that's where you'd stick the tube. He'll be great with Carolina, what a culture shock for him. Happy for him.

Carolina has become one of the best additions to the league. Always quietly cheered for the Whalers. And they beat the Oilers out of a Cup, at which point the Oilers handed out bad contracts like candy. How can you not like the Canes?

• Like 1

Vegas has about 13 mill going on LTIR next year with Lehner and Weber so they won't have any cap issues. While they do only have 6 day under contract the 7th is Hague who is an RFA without arbitration and I imagine they'll get him signed before the year. 

They did all their cap maneuvering this offseason and are pat the point they need to dump/players salary. They'll even have space to add during the year if they want. 

6 hours ago, MP5029 said:

a Hanifin+ swap  

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Vegas has about 13 mill going on LTIR next year with Lehner and Weber so they won't have any cap issues. While they do only have 6 day under contract the 7th is Hague who is an RFA without arbitration and I imagine they'll get him signed before the year. 

They did all their cap maneuvering this offseason and are pat the point they need to dump/players salary. They'll even have space to add during the year if they want. 

I don’t know how I missed that MAJOR detail… 🤦🏻‍♂️

backing up homer simpson GIF

Id still like to get my hands on Marchessault tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Id still like to get my hands on Marchessault tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

BT: We're winning a cup and we're doing it soon. Who wants their name on it?

Balls of steel. I can only describe this offseason as absolutely ridiculous. Monumental shift.

Honestly, I think we got a lot for JG. Cap space and respect for getting cold-dicked with no grease. Tkachuk follows but allowed us a return. A big part of that was Huberdeau getting cold-dicked with no grease.

Kadri $7 x 7. Really? In a rumoured escalating-quickly cap world, no one needed a bonafide 2 C at current price?

Seems suspect. Almost like the, "Calgary can't draw players" thing has done a 180.

Seems okay. lol

Can't wait to kick the excrement out of Florida and Columbus. "We brought friends".

And the entire West of course.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

BT: We're winning a cup and we're doing it soon. Who wants their name on it?

Balls of steel. I can only describe this offseason as absolutely ridiculous. Monumental shift.

Honestly, I think we got a lot for JG. Cap space and respect for getting cold-dicked with no grease. Tkachuk follows but allowed us a return. A big part of that was Huberdeau getting cold-dicked with no grease.

Kadri $7 x 7. Really? In a rumoured escalating-quickly cap world, no one needed a bonafide 2 C at current price?

Seems suspect. Almost like the, "Calgary can't draw players" thing has done a 180.

Seems okay. lol

Can't wait to kick the excrement out of Florida and Columbus. "We brought friends".

And the entire West of course.

Absolutely. I can’t wait for the season to begin. We’ve all got a chip on our shoulder for one reason or another. 🤘🏻

I think the West is wide-open this year.

Colorado is still the team to beat. It's hard to say they've improved, you could likely say they took a step-back. I know Kuemper wasn't great in the playoffs, but he was .921 for them last year and IMO he's significantly better than Georgiev. They also lost Kadri, obviously, he was a massive part of that team. They seem like a fit for Rodrigues.

Looking at the rest of the Central, there hasn't been much, if any player movement.

They've got two of the worst teams in the league in ARI and CHI

WPG 's biggest external addition has been Big Save Dave

MIN gets slapped with the Suter/Parise buyouts this year. Betting on Fleury at age 38.

STL has been quiet. Lost Perron, extended Thomas past this season.

DAL signed Marchment and Oettinger and Robertson are about to get expensive.

NSH got McDonagh and I think they've got the best goalie in the division.

EDM will be good. Interested to see what they get from Campbell. I think the Oilers and Flames will be the best two teams in the Pacific again this year. The "old core" of the Flames had a hard time with the Oilers, they haven't really played them well for the past handful of seasons. Really interested to see how essentially a new core plays against them.

VAN is toying with the idea of trading their best point-getter

VGK going with an un-proven tandem

LA could take a step, but they still really rely on older players in Kopitar/Doughty/Quick.

I think the Flames have a good team, but they may start slow, given the amount of turnover. If they are able to make the playoffs, I think they've got a shot to come out of the West. Feels like the flat cap really squeezed a lot of Western teams this summer.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the West is wide-open this year.

Colorado is still the team to beat. It's hard to say they've improved, you could likely say they took a step-back. I know Kuemper wasn't great in the playoffs, but he was .921 for them last year and IMO he's significantly better than Georgiev. They also lost Kadri, obviously, he was a massive part of that team. They seem like a fit for Rodrigues.

Looking at the rest of the Central, there hasn't been much, if any player movement.

They've got two of the worst teams in the league in ARI and CHI

WPG 's biggest external addition has been Big Save Dave

MIN gets slapped with the Suter/Parise buyouts this year. Betting on Fleury at age 38.

STL has been quiet. Lost Perron, extended Thomas past this season.

DAL signed Marchment and Oettinger and Robertson are about to get expensive.

NSH got McDonagh and I think they've got the best goalie in the division.

EDM will be good. Interested to see what they get from Campbell. I think the Oilers and Flames will be the best two teams in the Pacific again this year. The "old core" of the Flames had a hard time with the Oilers, they haven't really played them well for the past handful of seasons. Really interested to see how essentially a new core plays against them.

VAN is toying with the idea of trading their best point-getter

VGK going with an un-proven tandem

LA could take a step, but they still really rely on older players in Kopitar/Doughty/Quick.

I think the Flames have a good team, but they may start slow, given the amount of turnover. If they are able to make the playoffs, I think they've got a shot to come out of the West. Feels like the flat cap really squeezed a lot of Western teams this summer.

To add to your post, there’s also been a lot of player movement from the West to the East. Burns, Pacioretti, Perron, Stastny, to name a few. Gaudreau and Chucky as well of course. As such, I concur that the west is as wide open as its ever been. 

9 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Absolutely. I can’t wait for the season to begin. We’ve all got a chip on our shoulder for one reason or another. 🤘🏻

Yep and so does BT when the eastern broadcasters/supporters were dumping on Calgary and how no one wants to play here. I hope he makes one more big move for a prime time winger. Don’t care if it’s Pasternak or Kane or whoever and we stick it to the doubters. Excited for the season to start and I think we moved one step closer already because we have players who want to be here. Players who want to be here don’t fade in the playoffs or when things get tough. Go Flames Go!!

• Like 1

IMO after losing a Tanev and having him at 50% in the playoffs, it showed that the depth really wasn’t good enough. Now that that has been addressed with the addition of Weegar it really doesn’t make a whole lost sense to move anyone from the top 6.

I still think you look to move Valimaki and see if he still has value around the league. 

Maybe a team like Montreal who could use a defenseman and might want to shed some salary. A Valimaki for Armia deal might make some sense for both teams.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

IMO after losing a Tanev and having him at 50% in the playoffs, it showed that the depth really wasn’t good enough. Now that that has been addressed with the addition of Weegar it really doesn’t make a whole lost sense to move anyone from the top 6.

I still think you look to move Valimaki and see if he still has value around the league. 

Maybe a team like Montreal who could use a defenseman and might want to shed some salary. A Valimaki for Armia deal might make some sense for both teams.

Ya I wouldn't have minded a pure defensive shut down guy as Tanev insurance.  This especially with Gudbranson leaving.  We are "easier" to play against swapping Weegar for Gudbranson.

I don't necessarily think this, but was listening to ( I think it was) Loubardias this past week and he suggested two areas of strength to trade from, and they were defence and goaltending. I'm with others who might want to keep the D as is. So could a Vladar deal net something decent, not him alone. But that might elevate a Wolf too early. 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:11 AM, conundrumed said:

True story. Almost $7.9 for 4 more years. They'll fill their roster with ELCs. Still without a goalie. What a mess.

Gave away both Fleury and Pacioretty in humiliating fashion. I hate Vegas as a town, they made it incredibly easy to hate their franchise.

Shallow af. What did we expect, it's Vegas.

Why any player not in their twilight would wanna play there is beyond me. Pacioretty talking about lack of accountability.lol

Dude, you're in the tackiest place on earth. It's hardly the place to go to looking for any semblance of character.

What did you expect? If you're going to give the Americas an enema, that's where you'd stick the tube. He'll be great with Carolina, what a culture shock for him. Happy for him.

Carolina has become one of the best additions to the league. Always quietly cheered for the Whalers. And they beat the Oilers out of a Cup, at which point the Oilers handed out bad contracts like candy. How can you not like the Canes?

Agreed.

The Hurricanes are great organization from top to bottom