The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Which is better?  Non-committal in excitement and good/bad?  

Or Nervously positive like Leafs and Oilers fans?

If I had to place myself, I would be where Buffalo is.

I mean, it's an interesting graphic because it's pretty close.  For me, I think the Flames are closer to the Habs.  There is a bit more negativity than positivity.  I'm personally not nervous nor excited due to an expectation the Flames will once again be 8/9/10 in the Conference.  This is a transitional year until we get long term commitment from Lindholm or we trade him.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

20230929_140521.jpg

I am the most apathetic I've ever been about the flames since I became a flames fan. They've been important in my life until Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. Maybe the Scorpio in me. I can only take them beating their heads against the wall of mediocrity for so long. 

if they don't care as an ownership group, why should I? They care about the money, only the money. So planning for the future is hard to do and it's happened over and over for too long that there hasn't been a replacement plan. I get it's tough to draft. 

there's more important things going on for me. It's tough.

I come here to see what's going on though. So thanks for that everyone. 

I honestly think they'll do well this year though. They're going to probably make the playoffs. I think they get the #7 spot, or the #3 in the div. A good start will cement the #3. Contract years...

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I am the most apathetic I've ever been about the flames since I became a flames fan. They've been important in my life until Gaudreau and Tkachuk left. Maybe the Scorpio in me. I can only take them beating their heads against the wall of mediocrity for so long. 

if they don't care as an ownership group, why should I? They care about the money, only the money. So planning for the future is hard to do and it's happened over and over for too long that there hasn't been a replacement plan. I get it's tough to draft. 

there's more important things going on for me. It's tough.

I come here to see what's going on though. So thanks for that everyone. 

I honestly think they'll do well this year though. They're going to probably make the playoffs. I think they get the #7 spot, or the #3 in the div. A good start will cement the #3. Contract years...

Yeah, I'm a bit sad that you feel that way, but I agree with some of this.

First of all, last year was absolutely brutal. It was really hard to watch, and I made the mistake of watching often. This summer has been really tough, too. I've been extremely underwhelmed by almost every move that they've made. I'll go on for a second - suck it, unconditional positivity.

• Darryl Sutter was a horrendous hire, and it's a damn shame that they did it. I get that they had a great season under him, but the eventual outcome was extremely predictable. I hear the people talking about how "the players got what they wanted", and "they let go one of the greatest coaches in NHL history." I call BS. What decisions did Darryl Sutter make last season that indicated that he should have kept his job? Even if what everyone is saying is correct - show me one goddamn decision that Darryl Sutter made last season that made any sense. We can go back further... how was he so badly outcoached by Jay Woodcroft in the series against the Oilers?
  • Mikeal Backlund was the right choice for captain two seasons ago. I'm not so sure anymore, but it's one of the long list of decisions that feels really milquetoast.
  • Ryan Huska is another decision that feels that way. It feels like an inexpensive, and safe choice. Maybe I'm wrong, but going with a guy that has been behind that bench for that long doesn't seem like cleaning house.
  • Picking up Nazem Kadri was, and was always going to be a big mistake. Again, no real issue with the player - but signing an aging player that will likely break down before his contract does seemed like a real knee-jerk decision to placate an ownership that demands that the team is in the playoffs. To add insult to injury, it meant giving away Sean Monahan for nothing (I'm aware of his condition), when his contract would have simply expired (wouldn't an extra 6 million in cap space have been nice this summer?), AND a first?!
  • The margin between the Flames and the playoffs last season was very slim. It's not unheard of that an undersized, highly skilled forward can score 10 goals in four months. I wonder if Matthew Phillips could have done that... speculation to be sure, but I always root for the local kid that grew up wearing Flames pajamas.
  • Mitch Love: Rising star
  • Everyone said that they wanted to leave. Now the rumour is they want to stay. I can't help but think that this isn't going to go very well.
  • Marty Necas would haved looked damn fine in a Flames jersey.
  • I miss 13 and 19. Last summer hurt so much, and it sucks so much that it came down to those two players.
  • I suspect the Flames might make the playoffs, but they will not be particularly competitive. It's hard watching the Oilers, for the second time since I've been paying attention, have the best player (and arguably best two players) in the world.

You can point to a lot of decisions that go back further than that, and in my opinion, it all comes down to the mandate to make the playoffs and be competitive. We all want that - I'm sure that even Murray Edwards wants that - but the way that the Flames have gone about their business for the last couple of years has been extremely questionable. As a fan, it has been very hard to watch, and even harder to be enthusiastic about. Whatever it is that they're selling this year, I'm not buying. I'm sure, dumba55 that I am, I'll probably still watch a ton of games this year, but I sure miss looking forward to a Saturday night Battle of Alberta. I miss the Matthew Tkachuk Friendship Tour, and I miss coming out of my seat when Johnny would dangle. I love Elias Lindholm, but if he's the best player, then I don't see the Flames being much of a threat. I'm a big fan of Jonathan Huberdeau as well, but if he doesn't have someone to dish the puck to, I can't see him doing it all himself.

Every time I watch the Flames play the Oilers, and Connor McDavid picks up the puck with speed in his own end, it gets harder to watch. Whenever they have a powerplay and score at will, it gets harder to watch. When the Leafs are in town, and there's more blue jerseys than red, I am a little bit more disappointed. And when Matthew Tkachuk thanks our former GM on Hockey Night in Canada on his way to the Stanley Cup Final, I have a little bit harder time supporting any of Murray Edwards' endeavours.

Love, with a Full Nodeling sense of apathy, but still here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldschoolplayer said:

That admin threw 8 mil$ out the windiw when they crucified Sutter. What's the big problem moving a hot cold Jacob? Wolf is ready to do back flips. I'm going to start following the Jets. Following the flames is oldschool😏 

Let's do this in pieces:

That admin threw 8 mil$ out the windiw when they crucified Sutter.

Can you please show me ONE example of a decision made last season by Darryl Sutter to justify keeping his job? Just one... I'll wait.

What's the big problem moving a hot cold Jacob?

I would have no problem with that, and I'm sure that a lot of people on the board would have no problem with that. Still there are two BIG problems with that.

Wolf is ready to do back flips.

Jacob does those too. I very specifically recall him doing this twice last season, and while it looks cool, I don't think it's indicative of the correct way to play the position.

I'm going to start following the Jets. Following the flames is oldschool😏 

Seems like a sound plan... they're in much better shape.

Love.

3 hours ago, oldschoolplayer said:

That admin threw 8 mil$ out the windiw when they crucified Sutter. What's the big problem moving a hot cold Jacob? Wolf is ready to do back flips. I'm going to start following the Jets. Following the flames is oldschool😏 

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Let's do this in pieces:

That admin threw 8 mil$ out the windiw when they crucified Sutter.

Can you please show me ONE example of a decision made last season by Darryl Sutter to justify keeping his job? Just one... I'll wait.

What's the big problem moving a hot cold Jacob?

I would have no problem with that, and I'm sure that a lot of people on the board would have no problem with that. Still there are two BIG problems with that.

Wolf is ready to do back flips.

Jacob does those too. I very specifically recall him doing this twice last season, and while it looks cool, I don't think it's indicative of the correct way to play the position.

I'm going to start following the Jets. Following the flames is oldschool😏 

Seems like a sound plan... they're in much better shape.

Love.

Sutter displaced himself from the iced team, it became Sutter knows better and he started to coach and make decisions based on it, and it really seemed like it was to spite media or fans.

His responses made it seem that way.

And then rolling lines knowing that that strategy wasn't working, but blaming the GM for not enough talent, and not actually coaching by line matching and placing players in positions to succeed. 

there is so much more. 

On 9/30/2023 at 11:12 AM, robrob74 said:

Sutter displaced himself from the iced team, it became Sutter knows better and he started to coach and make decisions based on it, and it really seemed like it was to spite media or fans.

His responses made it seem that way.

And then rolling lines knowing that that strategy wasn't working, but blaming the GM for not enough talent, and not actually coaching by line matching and placing players in positions to succeed. 

there is so much more. 

That's one side of the argument.

On 9/29/2023 at 8:12 PM, Heartbreaker said:

• The margin between the Flames and the playoffs last season was very slim. It's not unheard of that an undersized, highly skilled forward can score 10 goals in four months. I wonder if Matthew Phillips could have done that... speculation to be sure, but I always root for the local kid that grew up wearing Flames pajamas.

Yes that is speculation.  He grew up a Wings fan.

Matthew Phillips on making the jump to the NHL (thewincolumn.ca)

Phillips grew up in Calgary, but his favourite team was actually the Detroit Red Wings. The fandom began because he shared a first name with former Wing Mathieu Schneider, but Phillips idolized Pavel Datsyuk, another an undersized forward who was coincidentally taken in the sixth round as well. Like Datsyuk, Phillips’ incredible hands, nose for the net, and ability to play against guys bigger than him have turned a lot of heads.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think the players still need to play. I think they gave a robotic effort, went through the motions last year.

You and I both robrob. That says a lot about the lousy attitude of some of the players that are still in that dressing room... conditional athletes... not the kind of athletes I would want on my team...

On 10/5/2023 at 2:15 AM, jjgallow said:

Things for this thread 

Etienne Morin

I have one. The A team loss vs the Oilers B team.

Last night, Toronto pretty much ran their starting roster, including goalie, at home vs the Wings.

The Leafs won 4-3 in OT in a very good game.

Here is the Wings roster for said game, zero top 9 forwards, zero Top 3, maybe 4 dmen, zero Top 2 goalies:

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I have one. The A team loss vs the Oilers B team.

Last night, Toronto pretty much ran their starting roster, including goalie, at home vs the Wings.

The Leafs won 4-3 in OT in a very good game.

Here is the Wings roster for said game, zero top 9 forwards, zero Top 3, maybe 4 dmen, zero Top 2 goalies:

Ha.   Oh I can just dream I guess.

Only on a prospect-spoiled team would nate Danielson and berggrem among others not be noticeable.

Had those guys been Flames we would have long threads about it.

Your wings are at an inflection point without a doubt.

Detroit is impossible not to pay attention to, they are magnetic right now.

With a little luck that'll be us in a few seasons. 

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Hey for today's positivity we are on pace for a 164 point season.  😆

I fail to see why your laughing;)

We were just sluggishly practicing D last night whilst knowing that we'll just score when we need one. No point in blasting them out of the building when we're just being appreciative that they'll be our practice partners.

I don't understand why we have to go practice in a bunch of other barns now, but I'm happy that I'll be at the Detroit practice in a fortnight.

Positives:

• We won a stinker game that Jets played with more speed and consistency
  • Markstrom , Markstrom, Markstrom
  • Coronato , looked really great for a youngster
  • Zadorovs bone crushing hits
  • New coach
  • Team Captain
  • Oilers got "blown out" (couldnt resist throwing that in)
  • Cheering for Detroit as a optional team for Conundrumed

Negatives:

• No time for this nonsense in here

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Positives:

• We won a stinker game that Jets played with more speed and consistency
  • Markstrom , Markstrom, Markstrom
  • Coronato , looked really great for a youngster
  • Zadorovs bone crushing hits
  • New coach
  • Team Captain
  • Oilers got "blown out" (couldnt resist throwing that in)
  • Cheering for Detroit as a optional team for Conundrumed

Negatives:

• No time for this nonsense in here

Here here.