The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

As a team still trying to adjust to a new coach and new look lines, we are on track.  1-1-1 is not a lousy record.  We got a penalty (rinse and repeat?) in OT, but managed a tie.  Our PK is perfect so far and that included 5v3 PK.  We have shown the ability to dominate a period, so it's just getting that for 60 minutes or enough scoring to allow for the lapses that will come to any team.

Record wise we are where we were 2 years ago after 3, whereas last year we were 3-0 and 2-0-1 to start the 2021 season.  2018-19 new coach and the team started 5-5 and won the division, Gulutzan started 1-4-1 and made the playoffs, even the find a way Flames of 2015 didn't really find their way until November.  I think after last night there are more reasons to be positive about where the team may be going, I think the major issue with the mood after last night was who scored for them instead of the Flames actual performance.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Well the positive to this is we may get at top 10 pick this year and keep it…though it’s supposed to be a weak Draft, but maybe at this rate we could lad a top 5 which could be decent.

This is fine by me.

I will continue to cheer for the Flames, but a deep and lengthy rebuild would not bother me at all.

Pick Top 10 for 2 - 3 years in a row, I'm good with it.

I am even willing to lose trades to create Cap Space.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

This is fine by me.

I will continue to cheer for the Flames, but a deep and lengthy rebuild would not bother me at all.

They need the type of speed and skill

you can only find at the top of the draft.

I’n fine with some losing. It can’t be any worse than what they’ve been. Losing and boring. I’ll gladly watch them lose 5-4 if they’re fast, skilled and entertaining. Give the fan base some hope. Right now the outlook is bleak.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They need the type of speed and skill

you can only find at the top of the draft.

I’n fine with some losing. It can’t be any worse than what they’ve been. Losing and boring. I’ll gladly watch them lose 5-4 if they’re fast, skilled and entertaining. Give the fan base some hope. Right now the outlook is bleak.

I don't know exactly if losing is ever fun or entertaining, at least things I've never heard from Buffalo fans over the past decade.  I think there is a misconception because the 2013-2014 season brought decent entertainment, but it's only viewed as a "tank" year because they picked 4th, they still won 35 games and were 10 points ahead of 3rd last Edmonton and 25 over last place Buffalo and if Giordano didn't get hurt they could've been picking closer to 10th.  That season they exceeded expectations and that's why people have fonder memories of it, but I don't think that year Buffalo, Florida or Edmonton provided great entertainment value, despite having good young talent.

12 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

This is fine by me.

yeah and this next draft is heavy on defence.   Those drafts are always labelled as weak but then they tend to have a lot of cup winners in them after.  Some said 2020 was weak, but man oh man now it's looking like there's 3-4 bonafide stud D coming out of it, and this year Askarov is looking like he may have been worth it.

I hate the word stud.   It's too early to say elite.  I am stuck.

I feel the 2024 draft could be a lot like that.

And, also, Tij Iginla.   If we're selling at the trade deadline we should make an effort to target him.  I mean I'm all about building out from the net, but make some room for that kid.  

Question for smart people:  Do we have anyone left from the Loob-Niewendyk-Iginla line of trades that's been going on our whole lives?  If we have any remnant left of that we should purposely use it to trade for Tij in a package.  Just sayin.

On 10/31/2023 at 8:53 AM, jjgallow said:

yeah and this next draft is heavy on defence.   Those drafts are always labelled as weak but then they tend to have a lot of cup winners in them after.  Some said 2020 was weak, but man oh man now it's looking like there's 3-4 bonafide stud D coming out of it, and this year Askarov is looking like he may have been worth it.

I hate the word stud.   It's too early to say elite.  I am stuck.

I feel the 2024 draft could be a lot like that.

And, also, Tij Iginla.   If we're selling at the trade deadline we should make an effort to target him.  I mean I'm all about building out from the net, but make some room for that kid.  

Question for smart people:  Do we have anyone left from the Loob-Niewendyk-Iginla line of trades that's been going on our whole lives?  If we have any remnant left of that we should purposely use it to trade for Tij in a package.  Just sayin.

I think you mean Nilsson, not Loob. But I think that line is done!

56 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

9 back of 3rd in the pacific already.

5 back of the WC.

If this team is going to get off the mat, they need to string two or three together, pretty soon.

But, staying on theme,  

No boat anchor contract signings

No lost draft picks

Wolf

Zary

Pelletier when he recovers

Zadorov

Maybe add Lindholm

Better effort last game

I think effort should be a good metric going forward.

Stanley Cups are built on it.   And it can take a few seasons to instill.  May as well get started with that.

I look at it like we are building the base of players that will mentor the players who bring home the cup.   Attitude and effort become everything.   Last night was a good start.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

But, staying on theme,  

No boat anchor contract signings

No lost draft picks

Wolf

Zary

Pelletier when he recovers

Zadorov

Maybe add Lindholm

Better effort last game

I think effort should be a good metric going forward.

Stanley Cups are built on it.   And it can take a few seasons to instill.  May as well get started with that.

I look at it like we are building the base of players that will mentor the players who bring home the cup.   Attitude and effort become everything.   Last night was a good start.

They played well against Dallas. Deserved at least a point.

Seattle and Nashville next. If this group is going to make anything of this season, those are the types of teams they are going to need to beat.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

They played well against Dallas. Deserved at least a point.

Seattle and Nashville next. If this group is going to make anything of this season, those are the types of teams they are going to need to beat.

They took care of the Kraken and Preds.

Now it’s a big road trip.

If it’s a winning trip, they’re back in the mix. 

• Like 1