The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Rules these days...udder nonsense.

I remember my first Rogers cellphone.

Wasn't the Gordon Gecko brick phone, but it would have been useful if I wanted to take a subway in TO.

That sucker would leave a mark.

We used a 5 watt Motorola bag phone until they discontinued the analog system. With an antenna on the roof we could get signal dang near anywhere.

The lead acid battery made that phone bag a formidable bludgeon. 

October 1st: They actually look pretty decent, but it's preseason.

November 1st: Well this is surprising. Who saw this without Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli and Hanifin? The real season is starting as teams get going. We'll see.

December 1st: Markstrom's possessed, where was this goaltending last year? Anyone want to complain about the Toffoli trade now? Sharangovich is intimidating, what was NJ thinking? Rosie wants to get paid, damn he's on a mission.

January 1st: I guess we just needed the right players around Huberdeau and Kadri. Damn BT, thanks. Talking heads: "I've always said..."

February 1st: Yikes. What is Dube's next contract going to look like? It's going to start with a 6, if not a 7.

March 1st: We can beat anybody on any given night. Who saw this coming in October?

April 1st: Man we've been consistent all year and hot at the right time.

May 1st: Backlund wanted to go to a "contender". Bwahahaha. Enjoy the early golf season. 

June 1st: This is Blockchained. Nobody, but nobody(including me) gave us a chance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

November 1st: Well this is surprising. Who saw this without Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli and Hanifin? The real season is starting as teams get going. We'll see.

December 1st: Markstrom's possessed, where was this goaltending last year? Anyone want to complain about the Toffoli trade now? Sharangovich is intimidating, what was NJ thinking? Rosie wants to get paid, damn he's on a mission.

January 1st: I guess we just needed the right players around Huberdeau and Kadri. Damn BT, thanks. Talking heads: "I've always said..."

February 1st: Yikes. What is Dube's next contract going to look like? It's going to start with a 6, if not a 7.

March 1st: We can beat anybody on any given night. Who saw this coming in October?

May 1st: Backlund wanted to go to a "contender". Bwahahaha. Enjoy the early golf season. 

June 1st: This is Blockchained. Nobody, but nobody(including me) gave us a chance.

Could happen.  

Sharangovich impressing, I see highly likely.

The goaltending situation is also possible,  whether it's Markstrom or Wolf.    I am not counting on it but if we get goaltending back,  everything changes

Backlund regretting, I also see as highly likely.

Honzek and Coronato and other prospects could also be bright spots wherever they end up.

Whatever happens, I will be happy as long as we keep seeing sensible long term decisions, which I think we have seen recently. 

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think that Conny does the re-signings this summer, after the rest of the issues are dealt with.  With that, Dube should be re-signed before the season starts.  He is arbitration eligible next summer.  It's a risk to sign now, but more likely his arbitration submission will be higher than what you can get him for longer term now.  With Rosie, I think he may finally get the right coach to motivate him.  Nothing he did last year seemed to get rewarded.  Top line production saw him get shuffled to bottom 6.  17 points in his first 20 games playing 10-17 minutes.  Immediately dropped to 8-10 minutes.  His last 5 minutes before the drop in minutes?  4 points in 5 games.

I'm not saying Rosie is the most consistent, but when you get dropped while producing, it sends a strange message.  Were there things about his game the coach noticed?  Can't tell.  

One thing I read and apparently Conroy talked about in a recent interview with Kerr, we could've hired Jon Cooper. 

I am not sure whether it would have been good or bad for us or for his career.  He would have come at a time when we were looking to get out of the build early. 

On 7/22/2023 at 3:28 PM, robrob74 said:

One thing I read and apparently Conroy talked about in a recent interview with Kerr, we could've hired Jon Cooper. 

I am not sure whether it would have been good or bad for us or for his career.  He would have come at a time when we were looking to get out of the build early. 

yeah coaching was just one piece.

One thing I did find telling, is that by Conroy mentioning it, there was an implication that he wishes we had hired staff capable of positivity, hope, occasionally smiling.   Cooper's a pretty good example of that translating into success.

Again I'm not a Sutter hater.   But...  back to the topic, a little positivity can go a long way.  We could use a few more Bob Johnsons.    I have liked basically all of Conroy's moves so far.    While the fans are in a panic, I'm actually seeing a pretty steady hand with him, and also a new message/direction that teams need.   If you're gonna be here then be here.  Be positive, contribute positively.        That's what I see in the hires.    I like it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

One thing I did find telling, is that by Conroy mentioning it, there was an implication that he wishes we had hired staff capable of positivity, hope, occasionally smiling.   Cooper's a pretty good example of that translating into success.

Again I'm not a Sutter hater.   But...  back to the topic, a little positivity can go a long way.  We could use a few more Bob Johnsons.    I have liked basically all of Conroy's moves so far.    While the fans are in a panic, I'm actually seeing a pretty steady hand with him, and also a new message/direction that teams need.   If you're gonna be here then be here.  Be positive, contribute positively.        That's what I see in the hires.    I like it.

good point on the message for the team.

I think Lindholm situation is so abstract that we all read it differently. I guess be flexible but not bend? It's hard to think flexible when we want to know what is next. 

@Sarasti made a good point about how horrible we can be as fans. I do want optimism. I used to be a huge optimist as a fan, cheered hard for the team win or lose, and saw the good in most of our players. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Yikes.....JJ being positive....

Amazon.com: Dr. Peter Venkman Human Sacrifice Dogs and Cats Living Together  Mass Hysteria! Cartoon Simple Vinyl Stickers Decals for Water Bottles,  Phone, Laptop, Car, Bumper Sticker Size 5" : Electronics

54 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Positive about the puck dropping in 72 days. 

Gonna be a rough year but gotta develop the youngens sooner then later...

Cant wait..

Yup. This is where it gets exciting. The AHL is such a crapshoot. You have players that light it up and own that league but can't translate it to the NHL, then you get guys that are kind of meh, move them to the NHL where the players are 5x better and it's, "oh, where did that come from"?

It's exciting times having ELC's and cheap contracts to move in under a coach that is very familiar with their strengths and how to motivate and utilize them.

maxresdefault.jpg

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. This is where it gets exciting. The AHL is such a crapshoot. You have players that light it up and own that league but can't translate it to the NHL, then you get guys that are kind of meh, move them to the NHL where the players are 5x better and it's, "oh, where did that come from"?

It's exciting times having ELC's and cheap contracts to move in under a coach that is very familiar with their strengths and how to motivate and utilize them.

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't tell from your comments and the pic if you are being sarcastic or not.

Which coaches are familiar with the ELC's and chepa contracts?

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I can't tell from your comments and the pic if you are being sarcastic or not.

Which coaches are familiar with the ELC's and chepa contracts?

That's the motivation pic. "Do it or the cute little bunny's a goner"! Huska has a good handle on what he has and how to use. I get he's 5 years removed from the A but would still have a great handle on it. I think he'll do well. Nobody wants to be the demise of a cute little bunny.lol