The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

@robrob74  Great find, 

https://insidetherink.com/report-the-flames-owner-is-done-and-wants-out/

I'm reposting here as it's the most positive development I have seen here in years.   True darkest before dawn kinda stuff.

If this was even a thing, it would be sale to a fund management company or Elon Musk.

How does that improve the lickelhood of the Flames ever rebuilding?

The positivity should be around the possible hiring of an independent GM.

One that has the stones to convince the ownership of the best path forward.

Balancing long term success and short term profits.

Neither of those point directly to a rebuild.

We can't be a team going into a new arena with a bunch of prospects and young guns.

So, the three year retool or progression from not contender to possible contender is more likely.

Aging out vets replaced with 29 year olds and some 25 year olds.

Plus the 1st rounders being a force.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If this was even a thing, it would be sale to a fund management company or Elon Musk.

How does that improve the lickelhood of the Flames ever rebuilding?

The positivity should be around the possible hiring of an independent GM.

One that has the stones to convince the ownership of the best path forward.

Balancing long term success and short term profits.

Neither of those point directly to a rebuild.

We can't be a team going into a new arena with a bunch of prospects and young guns.

So, the three year retool or progression from not contender to possible contender is more likely.

Aging out vets replaced with 29 year olds and some 25 year olds.

Plus the 1st rounders being a force.

What I want even more than a rebuild is an owner that's committed to the city.

If we had that 10 years ago, I don't think we'd need a rebuild.   The way I see it, a rebuild is something that will happen to us at this point and is no longer a decision the owners get to make.   But how long the rebuild is and what happens after and how well we do it all depends on having an owner committed to our city.

And so does finding the right GM.

I'd take that article with a massive grain of salt. 

As I mentioned in another thread I wouldn't be shocked to hear Edwards wants to move on. But one thing I know about Edwards is he as a shrewd and cut throat as it gets. There is no chance, IMO at least, he's going to sell the team before the get the arena started. He'd be selling at a fairly large discount and that's not how we works. 

I think that article took a flimsy idea/rumor and made up the rest. I would put no stock into it (and I don't). 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'd take that article with a massive grain of salt. 

As I mentioned in another thread I wouldn't be shocked to hear Edwards wants to move on. But one thing I know about Edwards is he as a shrewd and cut throat as it gets. There is no chance, IMO at least, he's going to sell the team before the get the arena started. He'd be selling at a fairly large discount and that's not how we works. 

I think that article took a flimsy idea/rumor and made up the rest. I would put no stock into it (and I don't). 

I think it was a sideshow rumor.  I didn't buy into it when it's sources were dubious at best.  If he was even considering it (which is possible), there is no way you would read about it.  A leak like that would only even be done by the person wanting to generate interest.  Wanting to increase a value of a team or whatever.

IT's not a signed deal yet as it stands.  A lot further on thana month ago, but nothing final.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:11 AM, bombcomputers said:

Ya. 

Sorry too for the sarcasm. I'm not a fan of Kadri. 

The 4th line with Duehr is clicking better than any of the others. 

Wish there were 3 more Duehrs, one for each line. Hopefully there are more Duehrs on the way. 

I expected more out of Huberdeau. Maybe the Habs will give up their first round pick for Huberdeau (for a first round lottery extravaganza). Maybe Jagr has quit drinking and he will trade Huberdeau for himself. 

Maybe Mcdavid will trade up to play with Duehr on the leagues premier 4th line 🤑👊 

Can't wait for the coming Massacre of Alberta that the league has planned again at Calgary's expense. 

Stay positive, stay positive now🤐

It's too early to think fishing. I want to see the first round. We haven't given up. 

24 minutes ago, oldschoolplayer said:

I was never giving up during their last push, so when the administration threw the towel in it was a blow to the liver. Flames organization are going to have to earn their way back into my good books. 

Baahaahaa. I'm so using that.

Went to London for game 5 of the OHL WC final.

London's goalie was magnificent in games 1&2 but is now injured and out. So Team Canada goalie Ben Gaudreau only has to be better than their backup. London wins 5-2 and we're down 3-2.

It's a blow to the liver.lol

If only we had a goalie.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Baahaahaa. I'm so using that.

Went to London for game 5 of the OHL WC final.

London's goalie was magnificent in games 1&2 but is now injured and out. So Team Canada goalie Ben Gaudreau only has to be better than their backup. London wins 5-2 and we're down 3-2.

It's a blow to the liver.lol

If only we had a goalie.

Guess we need another Finnish goalie; or a goalie that can finish; and some players that can finish; and an organization that can deliver a blow to the liver of the opponent, not the fans. 🤣

• 2 months later...

Right, doing one bad bump and one good 2001 vintage bump this am :)

IMHO this thread may have started 2 years early but then again it's good to get a jump on things :)

I am personally feeling more positive about the Flames than I have in...over a decade.   Possibly since 2004.

I'm not excited about our playoff chances next year, no sir.   What I'm excited about is our direction, and hope.

I'm excited to see trades that actually project favourably over a 10-year span.  The Toffoli trade was the first of those we saw in a long, long time.  Naturally, media hated it, but we became a better and brighter organisation with the trade.  More of these to come :)

I'm excited to see plans unfold for a Comprehensive arena and event center deal 

I'm excited to see Coronato score his first NHL goal

I'm excited to see Honzek play his first NHL game potentially, as well as rip the WHL apart.

I"m excited to see Morin rip the QMJHL apart

I'm excited to see the return of Kylington

I'm excited to see Wolf get his first NHL shutout

I'm excited to see Poirier potentially make the team

I'm excited to see Pelletier (and potentially Zary) get some NHL games in, and possibly much more

I'm excited to see one, possibly two surprises from prospects not listed here :)   (Stromgren?  Ronni? a goalie?)

I'm excited to see a potential "emergence" from Rasmus

I'm excited to see the younger Sharangovich out-play Toffoli :)

I'm excited to to see us finish the season with the same or more draft picks and prospects than when we started

This isn't Oceangate.  We don't implode when we hit rock bottom.   Rock bottom is when things get interesting, hopeful, and fun to watch.    The above are just a small, small taste of things to look forward to as things play out.   More than anything, I suspect each successive season for the next few years will continue to have more and more of this :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

IMHO this thread may have started 2 years early but then again it's good to get a jump on things :)

I am personally feeling more positive about the Flames than I have in...over a decade.   Possibly since 2004.

I'm not excited about our playoff chances next year, no sir.   What I'm excited about is our direction, and hope.

I'm excited to see trades that actually project favourably over a 10-year span.  The Toffoli trade was the first of those we saw in a long, long time.  Naturally, media hated it, but we became a better and brighter organisation with the trade.  More of these to come :)

I'm excited to see Honzek play his first NHL game potentially, as well as rip the WHL apart.

I'm excited to see Pelletier (and potentially Zary) get some NHL games in, and possibly much more

I'm excited to see one, possibly two surprises from prospects not listed here :)   (Stromgren?  Ronni? a goalie?)

I'm excited to to see us finish the season with the same or more draft picks and prospects than when we started

This isn't Oceangate.  We don't implode when we hit rock bottom.   Rock bottom is when things get interesting, hopeful, and fun to watch.    The above are just a small, small taste of things to look forward to as things play out.   More than anything, I suspect each successive season for the next few years will continue to have more and more of this :)

I'm excited Jigallow is excited!

I agree with everything stated, great post couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Who are you and what did you do with the real jj?  😜

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jjgallow said:

The chances on staying on a particular course are dependent on succes/lack of success.

The unfortunate thing is that we seldom stay on a trajectory.

More like a sine wave.

The NHL is like that too, though some teams take longer to hit the trough.

Predicting the Pacific is next to impossible for standings.

Anyway, it's good to seem to be making honest decisions instead of non hockey people making them.

It was like we we keeping together a cup winner, which we weren't.

Sutter was the throwaway coach you get when you couldn't push through.

Not the guy to build you up to contender year after year.

One shot is all he deserved and we didn't have the team to do it.

The love afair with some players should be over now.

We have some good pieces to build with, so let's build it.

We have a 3 year window for the over 30 crowd that is really good.

In 3 years they have to be the completer pieces.

Need new blood to become the stars.

I just can't seem to bolster up that positive attitude this time. For me, bending a spoon with my mind seems more plausible than getting behind a team... again and again and again... I get more enjoyment from playing shinny or tennis or... 

There are things that are far more important than hockey. Wait, remain patient, be alert. 

47 minutes ago, oldschoolplayer said:

I just can't seem to bolster up that positive attitude this time. For me, bending a spoon with my mind seems more plausible than getting behind a team... again and again and again... I get more enjoyment from playing shinny or tennis or... 

There are things that are far more important than hockey. Wait, remain patient, be alert. 

It takes a rebuild to get us back to where it's the most important thing, like it was in 2004

erx58g1vvvz81.jpg

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Look at all those old camera phones.

These days you get basically a TV studio on your camera, er, I mean phone.

Yeah, I was thinking that, too.

Flip phones, disposable cameras, a tramp stamp... you could flash your teets without ending up all over social media... gosh, that was a long time ago. Oh, the mammaries.

Love.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I was thinking that, too.

Flip phones, disposable cameras, a tramp stamp... you could flash your teets without ending up all over social media... gosh, that was a long time ago. Oh, the mammaries.

Love.

Rules these days...udder nonsense.

I remember my first Rogers cellphone.

Wasn't the Gordon Gecko brick phone, but it would have been useful if I wanted to take a subway in TO.

That sucker would leave a mark.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Looks like a ppv MMA event at a bar. 60 people, 3 girls...

This is totally unfair.  

I count 4.  Maybe 5 in the top right, hard to tell cause it's blury ( not hard to tell like things are hard to tell now ).

June 4th, if I remember correctly, I was out at this and met about a third of the team including Iginla.   None of them even had a beer in their hands, totally responsible Sutter team.    But it was pretty late at night.   Bet they wish they had gone to sleep given what happened the next day, there were other times to celebrate.

A generation later we're still looking to get back there.  But truthfully, I think this is the closest we've been since then, because we've stopped selling our picks and making short term moves (from what I can tell so far).   It's possible our next Iginla is already in the system.   I don't want to bank on it, but could Wolf be our next Kipper?  Iz possible.    And we have much more to to come there.