The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

This is the anti-pissing and moaning thread.

When you get beside yourself, as a fan, about what the Flames are doing or not doing, take solace in the fact that they know more than you do.

I'm excited to see what Vladar and Werner have to offer. Perfect age to acquire big goalies.

I love the Zadorov add. Reggie mach 2. Stats don't take into account fear factor. He can take all the penalties he wants. Opposing fwds will always know the threat is real.

Dude loves to hit, he's got a great attitude and personality. What I love most about Russians is that their interviews aren't choreographed, they're honest.

Coleman, Pitlick, Lewis.

Welcome and thanks in advance for joining us.

I'm thankful. This is starting to look like a blue-collar team. Detroit being my other team, their cups weren't fancy superstars. They were blue-collar hard work.

They call Datsyuk "The Magic Man", but the truth is he put the workboots on and wasn't afraid to get a little Satoshi Nakamoto on his shoes.

That's what we're building here, finally. Work ethic.

So before anyone wants to savage Lewis and Pitlick and all of that, "doesn't move the needle" crap, remember this.

Detroit wins zero cups without Maltby-Draper-McCarty.

We don't reach the finals without guys like Yelle and Nieminen and Nilson. Our D was laughable.

We're on a very good path of improvement right now.

Trading out the core was never going to fix anything.

Fix the real problems, particularly a pathetic bottom 6 and floundering D. Good start.

BT talked about changing the core. He might as well have just come out and said, "we're not protecting Gio". That was the reality.

Get over it.

So while many may not see the improvement, I guarantee, you're about to. In '04, adding Nieminen and Nilson seemed like "whatever" moves.

So welcome everyone. Welcome to having a coach that is one of the best hockey minds in the business.

Enjoy the ride. This season will be a blast. The funnest part is that all of the talking heads don't see it. So lets maybe not put much weight in what they think. They'll be wrong, as usual.

We are all (unfinished) business.

• Like 2

Good place for a positive message, for a change.

Frustration has been part of this community for many years and the blame shifts a lot.

We are lucky to have a team to support that tries every year.

The GM has his faults, but does the work to do something...every year.

Things don't always work out and sometimes they backfire, but he does the work.

Having Lucic and Zadorov and Tkachuk on the same team will make a lot of teams look over their shoulders.

Maybe that open up the game a bit for the skill players?

Maybe we don't see as many cheap shots?

Maybe teams react to our lineup and are forced to play in the gutter instead of river hockey?

Anyway, I will post more stuff over the coming days.

There are plenty of reasons to be positive. 

The first is that we have finally brought on one of the elite NHL coaches. The last time we have a competent coach we won the Western Conference, and this is a stronger roster then we had that season. 

Second, this is a young team. We don't have anyone on the verge if a big regression, and we do have a bunch of young guys that could take a big step. Valimaki, Andersson, Mangiapane, and Dube top the list, but there are some dark horse that could make the team. 

Third, we have cap space, assets, and are in our prime. Expect Treliving to do whatever he can to upgrade the team. If not before camp, then before the deadline. 

And last, the roster additions are a step towards mitigating this team's biggest issues. A lack of effort, and a lack of identity. Between the coach and the types of players I think the Flames are going to look very different this season. I think that's going to help guys like Monahan rebound, and help the kids learn to play the game the right away. 

I think by mid season fans are going to be behind this team. I get the summer frustration. Terrible season that followed a series of disappointing playoffs. We expected big change and we didn't get it. But I think they are going to be fun to watch and worth cheering for, even if their cup chances aren't where I want them to be. 

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

I Agree but the Issue Lastyear was we lacked Scoring that still hasnt been fixed were all the scoring is coming from is beyond me

The scoring is there.  It may not have been there the last couple years but the core has already proven they can score alot, and win.  Just gotta get the mojo back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

I didnt say we were but we couldnt even beat the senators last year and there not that good lol

Broken Monahan.

Poor coach with no buy in from players for half the year.

No idea of who to play with Gaudreau.

Nesterov?

Career worst seasons for a lot of players.

The SENS were as good as any team on some nights.

Same as the OIlers and Van.

And TO and MTL.

8 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

I Agree but the Issue Lastyear was we lacked Scoring that still hasnt been fixed were all the scoring is coming from is beyond me

Since this core came together we are in the middle of the pack in both goals for and against. Going into next season this is probably the strongest forward group, strongest goalies, and weakest D that we have had over that time. 

Can our star forwards rebound? Can the young D take a step forward? Will Sutter have the impact he has had in LA and his first run in Calgary? Will Treliving make a game changing move? 

Lots of questions for sure. But if things go well the team will be good. I will leave the if not for another thread. 

I'm generally optimistic in general but I see plenty to like going to into next season. 

I think Markstrom rebounds and plays like a number 1. 

They will be one of the top defensive teams in the league. This includes a strong PK. 

I think they will know what type of team they are going to be right from the get go. They never really found it under Ward last year. 

Scoring is a concern for sure but I can also see where they can get better. They've got more flexability in their lineup now so there is no reason to have the likes of Brett Ritchie on their top line. They can run a solid top 6 and a solid bottom 6 which wasn't the case last year. I think this should help some of their better players, namely Gaudreau, have better seasons. 

It really comes down to the PP for me. At 5 on 5, the Flames were good in a number of areas in terms of offence but their PP killed them. Getting that back on track is where the scoring increase would come from. Perhaps brining in Muller helps there. 

On 8/28/2021 at 12:19 AM, The_Snowbear said:

I didnt say we were but we couldnt even beat the senators last year and there not that good lol

Last year was such a lousy setup we should just forget the whole year. It sucked for everyone involved. Generated revenue, nothing else. Stupid little mini-tourneys, everyone's isolated in different ways. Schedule upended etc.

Let's just forget that mess. No rhythm to any of it. Let's just blame that.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Last year was such a lousy setup we should just forget the whole year. It sucked for everyone involved. Generated revenue, nothing else. Stupid little mini-tourneys, everyone's isolated in different ways. Schedule upended etc.

Let's just forget that mess. No rhythm to any of it. Let's just blame that.

But all of the Canadian teams had the same schedules and some were able to pull it off. Ours wasn't. They weren't able to when the schedules were normal either. 

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But all of the Canadian teams had the same schedules and some were able to pull it off. Ours wasn't. They weren't able to when the schedules were normal either. 

the schedules haven't been normal in 1 1/2 years. Not regular hockey seasons. Should have taken advantage and just practiced.lol

I agree with the idea that you have to be careful drawing conclusions off last season. Lots of anomalies that make it tough. I look at Edm. Based on points last season they look to be head and shoulders above the Flames. Look at their season and really the keg difference is Smith went on a great run. In a short season I think an older goalie can do that but can he do the again with 30 more games on the schedule and more travel?

It’s why I’d argue the gap between the Flames and Oilers is small. I’m fact I think you could argue the Flames are the better team actually and will finish higher than the Oilers if you look past last season.

I don’t really look at it that the Flames were more penalized last season. I think it’s more realizing there isn’t much to be learned from last season and it’s true of the Flames and the league imo. 

• Like 1

Well said cross. I wasn't alluding to it hurting one team more than another. Just, like you say,  not a season to draw conclusions from.

I'm sure you and I and everyone else was frustration overload last year. But I'm really happy with the moves BT made. There was more to fix than trading out stars.

I feel pretty comfortable that we are a better team overall now.

It’s hard to be positive when this team sings guys like Richardson 36 years old…Cgy just can’t help but sign a washed up player every year!  I know it’s only 800k but that little bit is the difference between 1.5 mil and 2.3 mil in cap space it can make a difference in trades.

anyway this is a positive thread so, on the positive side MacKey back for 2 years making under 1 mil..that’s a good signing! 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

It’s hard to be positive when this team sings guys like Richardson 36 years old…Cgy just can’t help but sign a washed up player every year!  I know it’s only 800k but that little bit is the difference between 1.5 mil and 2.3 mil in cap space it can make a difference in trades.

anyway this is a positive thread so, on the positive side MacKey back for 2 years making under 1 mil..that’s a good signing! 

He's not a plug.  Two years from scoring 15.  Does any player really score a lot in Zona?

If he can take C on the 4th line and win faceoffs, or play on the PK to replace Ryan, then we don't overuse guys like Monahan or Lindholm.