WHO ARE THE CALGARY FLAMES???

rickross

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Oh, Man...

Who ever went into battle listening to Uncle Kracker? I suppose it could have been on while someone got into a fight at a roller rink, but that was over a girl.

Love.

Lol but kinda fits this team, or at least what we have been seeing on the ice🤦🙄

Amen. Good. Thank you for those audio clips. And thank you to the broadcasters for calling it out like it is. 

I will still add that the flames play is on them, but there’s no excuse for the coach’s lineup decisions, lack of in game adjustments, and goalie decisions. Call Gerard Gallant already. Don’t waste this once in a lifetime season on buffoonery. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

That 2015 season might have been the worst thing to happen to this team, the year of the comeback. How many time did they comeback in that season? I think what that young core learned that season, is that they don't have to start on time because they can always just score a couple of goals in the 3rd. 

Unfortunately that's not how hockey works, and unfortunately they have never learned how to start on time.

On top of that, that’s how they came in first in the West the first year Peters was here. They had a lot of slow starts, comebacks and was one of the best third period teams then. 

no one else we see that season as problematic because they finished so high in the standings. But to me, there poor habits then that good teams just don’t typically do. I remember Peters was pissed going into the winter break because the team stopped playing the system then, and had poor efforts even though a good winning record.

But you’re right, I think learned these habits and they have been perpetrated in some way or another every year since 2015.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Amen. Good. Thank you for those audio clips. And thank you to the broadcasters for calling it out like it is. 

I will still add that the flames play is on them, but there’s no excuse for the coach’s lineup decisions, lack of in game adjustments, and goalie decisions. Call Gerard Gallant already. Don’t waste this once in a lifetime season on buffoonery. 

You forgot to add the music choices to the poor coaching decisions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree but only to a certain extent.  

At the end of the day, it's a tough league and everybody is trying to win.  To say the team doesn't care is to say we have the talent to go all the way and beat the best of the best as long as the team cares.  We don't.

And another thing comes down to X's and O's and we have a failure of a coach who cannot adjust properly and/or, fails to get the guys to play as a team.  He's lucky we have some talent on this team to carry the offense.

Agreed, i think it's unfair to say players don't care. if they didn't care why would they do this and why would they put the work in? They care and they care a lot they don't just show it the way people want. 

I am a firm believer that the talent is here. I wouldn't argue the Flames are a top 5-6 talented team in the league but I honestly believe they are not that far behind. They have the pieces where they can go toe to toe with anyone in the league. Would they need things to go their way to win a series against certain teams, for sure but it's there. 

But how talented you are is irrelevant if the group isn't pulling in the same direction, especially in todays' NHL with so much parity. For me the biggest problem with the Flames right now is they are not pulling in the same direction. It appears to me is you have a divided group in terms of how they should play and what this team needs to do to win. Warrner talked about this yesterday too and honestly it was more interesting to me than the clips posted here. He talked about how that team was a bit divided, you would have their forwards (Iginla/Tanguay) talk about scoring more goals to win and their d core more focused on hey how do we give up less. Just not on the same page. 

That to me is the issue here. What started it and who is responsible for it I don't know, but that's my biggest question for the Flames right now. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed, i think it's unfair to say players don't care. if they didn't care why would they do this and why would they put the work in? They care and they care a lot they don't just show it the way people want. 

I am a firm believer that the talent is here. I wouldn't argue the Flames are a top 5-6 talented team in the league but I honestly believe they are not that far behind. They have the pieces where they can go toe to toe with anyone in the league. Would they need things to go their way to win a series against certain teams, for sure but it's there. 

But how talented you are is irrelevant if the group isn't pulling in the same direction, especially in todays' NHL with so much parity. For me the biggest problem with the Flames right now is they are not pulling in the same direction. It appears to me is you have a divided group in terms of how they should play and what this team needs to do to win. Warrner talked about this yesterday too and honestly it was more interesting to me than the clips posted here. He talked about how that team was a bit divided, you would have their forwards (Iginla/Tanguay) talk about scoring more goals to win and their d core more focused on hey how do we give up less. Just not on the same page. 

That to me is the issue here. What started it and who is responsible for it I don't know, but that's my biggest question for the Flames right now. 

Ya '04 was easy man.  We had no talent on offense outside of one player.  So the game plan was to clutch and grab with Yelle, Conroy, Donovan, Lowry, Clark, Nilson, etc.  After that, we clutch and grab with Regehr, Warrener, Lydman, Ference, etc. And if they are still able to get passed all that muck, then they have to try and score on Kiprusoff.

Our team today is built to be a hybrid of everything (meaning we don't do one thing exceptionally well).  We run our lines in pairs... And the third guy on rotation is suppose to just understand and complement when called upon.  There is no unity as a team because of our talent diversity.

Listening to Friedman this morning, one thing they were talking about that really stuck out, was that during the players only meeting or after the Muzzin puck flip incident, the team may have told Tkachuk to calm down on the shenanigans. If true that explains why Tkachuk has been pretty invisible since that meeting. 

Telling the heart and soul and emotional leader of the team to stop doing those things, is exactly what's wrong with this team. I get that it can be tiresome that he stirs it up every game, but that's what this team needs and that's what Tkachuk needs to be effective.

I would really like to know which players want Tkachuk to stop being Tkachuk and those are the players I am looking to move out of town.

And not to let Tkachuk completely off the hook, he has to start fighting his own battles here too. If he is going to stir it up, then he has to be willing to fight the battles that come as a result.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Listening to Friedman this morning, one thing they were talking about that really stuck out, was that during the players only meeting or after the Muzzin puck flip incident, the team may have told Tkachuk to calm down on the shenanigans. If true that explains why Tkachuk has been pretty invisible since that meeting. 

Telling the heart and soul and emotional leader of the team to stop doing those things, is exactly what's wrong with this team. I get that it can be tiresome that he stirs it up every game, but that's what this team needs and that's what Tkachuk needs to be effective.

I would really like to know which players want Tkachuk to stop being Tkachuk and those are the players I am looking to move out of town.

And not to let Tkachuk completely off the hook, he has to start fighting his own battles here too. If he is going to stir it up, then he has to be willing to fight the battles that come as a result.

There has to be something to it. The guys on 960 have mentioned it the past few days. Gaudreau essentially said it on Spittin Chiclets too.

Very disappointing.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I'm the opposite, if Tkachuk needs the antics he needs to go.  He isn't the highest paid player because the rest of the league hates him, its because he can produce.  I don't see how the two go hand in hand, Marchand was told to cut his crap and he is still an all-star.

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm the opposite, if Tkachuk needs the antics he needs to go.  He isn't the highest paid player because the rest of the league hates him, its because he can produce.  I don't see how the two go hand in hand, Marchand was told to cut his crap and he is still an all-star.

I'm more in this camp too. The fact that this Muzzin thing, like the Kassian thing last year, is such a big issue is beyond silly to me. 

He has to find more of a balance and the if this incident is an issue for him or the team then shame on both for not figuring this out. 

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm more in this camp too. The fact that this Muzzin thing, like the Kassian thing last year, is such a big issue is beyond silly to me. 

He has to find more of a balance and the if this incident is an issue for him or the team then shame on both for not figuring this out. 

My stance on it is that this team lacks energy and emotion on the best of nights, but Tkachuk is the one player that seems to bring that more often than not. In a season where there isn't fans to pull that energy and emotion from, what Tkachuk brings is that much more important. Now I will admit that he can go over the line and he likes to be the center of attention, but overall I am fine with that because I would rather that then not bringing any emotion to the table what-so-ever.

The Muzzin, Kassian, Doughty stuff makes the games interesting, I also think the media blows those things way out of proportion. I like super pests, Brad Marchand is one of my favorite players in the league, I thought the media blew the whole licking thing out proportion as well. I also didn't think the Sean Avery waving his stick in Brodeur's face was a big deal and I didn't think it warranted a rule change. I am all for guys doing whatever they can to gain a competitive advantage.

IMO if Tkachuk doesn't do that stuff then he isn't worth his contract, it's that extra stuff that he brings that makes him worth his contract. He isn't skilled enough, or fast enough to just be a skill guy, he needs to bring that super pest side to the table to be the full package.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I disagree, the antics are what makes him worth his contract, the production on top of that is gravy. Marchand is better defensively, he is more skilled and is a much better skater, he can cut the antics out and still be one of the best players in the league, I don't you can say the same for Tkachuk.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My stance on it is that this team lacks energy and emotion on the best of nights, but Tkachuk is the one player that seems to bring that more often than not. In a season where there isn't fans to pull that energy and emotion from, what Tkachuk brings is that much more important. Now I will admit that he can go over the line and he likes to be the center of attention, but overall I am fine with that because I would rather that then not bringing any emotion to the table what-so-ever.

The Muzzin, Kassian, Doughty stuff makes the games interesting, I also think the media blows those things way out of proportion. I like super pests, Brad Marchand is one of my favorite players in the league, I thought the media blew the whole licking thing out proportion as well. I also didn't think the Sean Avery waving his stick in Brodeur's face was a big deal and I didn't think it warranted a rule change. I am all for guys doing whatever they can to gain a competitive advantage.

IMO if Tkachuk doesn't do that stuff then he isn't worth his contract, it's that extra stuff that he brings that makes him worth his contract. He isn't skilled enough, or fast enough to just be a skill guy, he needs to bring that super pest side to the table to be the full package.

Really?? if you go around licking people in the world what do you expect to happen?  It was disgusting, and inappropriate behavior for society.  The Doughty stuff may be media driven, but Doughty sure looked like he got up for those games last year, the Flames sure didn't.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think this is harsh. I agree the physical stuff puts him over the edge but his skill set alone makes him worth it IMO. 

To be clear I think a happy medium needs to be found. I'm not advocating he dump it entirely but he needs to find a happy medium. i agree with the above example of guys like Marchand and burrows who took it took fair but once they found that happy medium become much more effective players. 

i would also suspect this is what the team was asking of him. I don't believe for  second the leadership group said to "Stop" they likely said " tone it down" and I agree with that. Pick your spots. 

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Really?? if you go around licking people in the world what do you expect to happen?  It was disgusting, and inappropriate behavior for society.  The Doughty stuff may be media driven, but Doughty sure looked like he got up for those games last year, the Flames sure didn't.

I get it, it was gross, but if it helps his team gain an advantage then I am fine with it. I mean if I am the other team I want to punch his face in, but I am sure he will gladly take the PP.

I might just be wired differently, hate watching the Flames play against Corey Perry, but I respect the hell out of him as a player. I love what pests bring to the game and I think every team should have one.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think this is harsh. I agree the physical stuff puts him over the edge but his skill set alone makes him worth it IMO. 

To be clear I think a happy medium needs to be found. I'm not advocating he dump it entirely but he needs to find a happy medium. i agree with the above example of guys like Marchand and burrows who took it took fair but once they found that happy medium become much more effective players. 

i would also suspect this is what the team was asking of him. I don't believe for  second the leadership group said to "Stop" they likely said " tone it down" and I agree with that. Pick your spots. 

Don't get me I like Tkachuk a lot, and you are right I was probably being a bit harsh in regards to his skill level. 

Personally I don't think he should tone it down at all. I would say he needs to tone down the "skill" plays, he does the between the legs passes and shots way too often. Instead of going that he needs to make the heavy play more often.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I get it, it was gross, but if it helps his team gain an advantage then I am fine with it. I mean if I am the other team I want to punch his face in, but I am sure he will gladly take the PP.

I might just be wired differently, hate watching the Flames play against Corey Perry, but I respect the hell out of him as a player. I love what pests bring to the game and I think every team should have one.

Well they lost that game and the series, sometimes it provides more fire to the other team.  Same when Marchand won in 2011, many of the Bruins had pointed to the Horton hit and Burrows biting as instances that got them more fired up.  Avery may have won his series vs. Brodeur, but it was really all downhill for his career after..  

• Like 1

Consider me wired differently as well then. I agree with everything you’ve written here JT. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

listening to ex players over the years and some would ask them the difference between making it and not making it. A lot of the time guys would say that there are a lot of players that are highly talented and they just don’t have the drive to make it. It’s that drive that gets you to the next level. 

so is drive the same as caring? I can go to work and slack off and at the end if the day be mad at myself. Or I can go to work teach all day but just go through the motions sharing knowledge but not have real emotions involved. That’s usually a fun day. The kids read off of that level of caring or emotion I put into it. When I am excited about something they feed off of that and it feels like the best class ever!

How can we define it?

are these the same things? 

drive

effort

engagement 

caring 

the thing about Perry is he’s also the type to stand up for others. It’s one thing to have a pest, it’s another to be like, he is what he is so he’ll do his thing and we let him do his thing like they are with Tkachuk. 

you know, the biggest issue I have with the team not standing up for tkachuk these past few weeks is, look at the stat - how many penalties has he drawn since the time he entered the league? It shows, to me, that no one has each other’s backs. Others should be following Tkachuk into those battles Thar he is trying wager. 

but you’re right, teams need those kinds of players

I see drawing PPs just as good as providing opportunities. It gives the team more opportunity to get goals. What do you need to win? What he does for the team is great, and we need more playing like him and sticking up for each other. 

I look at 04 and feel one of the best adds was Ville Nieminen. Players like these can bring others into the scrums. But it means they’re playing for each other. 

52 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the thing about Perry is he’s also the type to stand up for others. It’s one thing to have a pest, it’s another to be like, he is what he is so he’ll do his thing and we let him do his thing like they are with Tkachuk. 

you know, the biggest issue I have with the team not standing up for tkachuk these past few weeks is, look at the stat - how many penalties has he drawn since the time he entered the league? It shows, to me, that no one has each other’s backs. Others should be following Tkachuk into those battles Thar he is trying wager. 

but you’re right, teams need those kinds of players

I see drawing PPs just as good as providing opportunities. It gives the team more opportunity to get goals. What do you need to win? What he does for the team is great, and we need more playing like him and sticking up for each other. 

I look at 04 and feel one of the best adds was Ville Nieminen. Players like these can bring others into the scrums. But it means they’re playing for each other. 

What battles?  I'm perfectly fine with the Muzzin thing, it was unsportsmanlike for sure but hardly vicious, salt in the wounds whatever.  Old school thinking is that the way you get him back is beating him up then and there.  I don't agree he got his two points, the battle doesn't end there with a brawl the battle moves to the next game and the game after.  Winning the battles isn't a fight it's the games that matter we got them 7 more times, make them pay.  Take the L like men and move on.  

To be a fly on the wall during that closed door meeting. This is really looking like there is a major divide in the locker room. They are going to have to figure it out soon, or this team is destined for a lottery pick. They are playing as poorly as the bottom dwelling teams, they just have Markstrom to cover a lot of it up.

55 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

To be a fly on the wall during that closed door meeting. This is really looking like there is a major divide in the locker room. They are going to have to figure it out soon, or this team is destined for a lottery pick. They are playing as poorly as the bottom dwelling teams, they just have Markstrom to cover a lot of it up.

It sure seems like the room is broken. It’s tough, in a normal year maybe you go shoot each other with paintball or something, but this year you’re not even allowed to play a few rounds of CoD in a hotel room together. No team bonding, so problems can fester. I wouldn’t be shocked if we start hearing a few more trade requests soon, Tkachuk seems checked out for instance.