WHO ARE THE CALGARY FLAMES???

rickross

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We already made a mistake upgrading our coaching.  At this point, I hope we don't trade Giordano, Bennett, Gaudreau, and Monahan.  Save those trades for the off-season after they help us get lower in the standings.

Gio will be worth less than Jbow trade brought us.

Bennett a RFA with low value.

The others are your home run.

But you need them to play with a game-breaking player to realize their higher value.

The flames are a bunch of cry baby sore losers right now , they suck they know it and just cant handle the fact .That was down right pathetic and embarrassing, andersson and chucky should be ashamed , id sit both of them for a game or 2 , not like it would matter anyways . Ive never wanted to see a team blown up more than i want this group dismantled,  bunch of friggin bums 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

This was so petty and disappointing to see. This does not have the looks of a good group of players. Sure they may like each other but they sure don't act like a close knit team. 

Bush League! Just goes to show the true quality of players on this roster. Zero accountability, blaming everyone but themselves. Whatever the culture is in that locker room it needs a complete refresh! Cause whatever is in there now is just stinking up the place 

6 minutes ago, rickross said:

This seems like a good time to call a players only meeting 🙄

Better yet, call up Zary and a bunch of the Heat.  They scored 4 on 30 shots against this guy while a bunch of seasoned vets made him look like the next Lundqvist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

Better yet, call up Zary and a bunch of the Heat.  They scored 4 on 30 shots against this guy while a bunch of seasoned vets made him look like the next Lundqvist.

Zary has to play in the WHL due to being only on loan to the Heat and not on CGY's roster.

He will be available to AHL and NHL when the Dub is done for the year.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Zary has to play in the WHL due to being only on loan to the Heat and not on CGY's roster.

He will be available to AHL and NHL when the Dub is done for the year.

I know it was a joke because he had 2 on the guy.

Personally I think the whole puck thing from last night was way overblown. Are they supposed to be happy that the kid that just beat them got his first win and just hand over the puck? They just got beat, they didn't pull a Pronger and throw the puck in the garbage, they just threw it or shot it down the ice. I just don't see what the big deal is.

I really believe that the path forward for this team is through playing defense first hockey. Sutter is right when he says this team doesn't have the fire power to compete offensively with the Edmonton's and Toronto's, even the Jets in this division.

I think this has been the change they have been trying to make since the start of last season. The players just haven't bought in to what Peters and Ward were selling. I am seeing that they are moving in the right direction under Sutter. 

The issue lies with 3 players IMO, Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Monahan. They have been counted on for their offense for awhile now, and were allowed to slack off defensively. So it is taking them awhile to get used to this defense first mentality. I don't know if all of them will get there and that's where Sutter will help Treliving decide on the direction of the core going into the off season.

I don't see any gamebreaking players showing up any time soon, so they better get used to playing defense first hockey, if not this team needs to find offensive players who can play that way.

I don't see it the same way myself.  I actually think this club has been a solid defense club for several years now, and under multiple coaches, and for the most that area has been much improved under Sutter. They fall apart a bit under Ward

What I don't see is the commitment or buy in to what it takes to score consistently. They don't retrieve dump ins well, they don't rush the net anymore, they don't fight for space in the net/slot area, they tend to be quite stationary in the o zone and they seem very content to just move the puck around like a good time of possession is going to win them the game. They really settle for the easy areas and easy plays in the o zone. The only time this club exploded offensively is when Peters turned them into a rush team and they were lethal on counters, they drove the net, D drove down for multiple opportunities etc. Other than that though they've struggled to score for years because they don't do the little things well in the offensive zone. When it's easy they are good but when things get tight they fold. 

I'm not sure Sutter can change that mindset but that is what is needed IMO. I don't think defense first is the issue for me

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Personally I think the whole puck thing from last night was way overblown. Are they supposed to be happy that the kid that just beat them got his first win and just hand over the puck? They just got beat, they didn't pull a Pronger and throw the puck in the garbage, they just threw it or shot it down the ice. I just don't see what the big deal is.

They don't need to hand it to him, but why should they collect pucks of losses.  What it told me is that they have the worst team in the division and their 4th string goalie in their head, and that makes it more depressing.

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't see it the same way myself.  I actually think this club has been a solid defense club for several years now, and under multiple coaches, and for the most that area has been much improved under Sutter. They fall apart a bit under Ward

What I don't see is the commitment or buy in to what it takes to score consistently. They don't retrieve dump ins well, they don't rush the net anymore, they don't fight for space in the net/slot area, they tend to be quite stationary in the o zone and they seem very content to just move the puck around like a good time of possession is going to win them the game. They really settle for the easy areas and easy plays in the o zone. The only time this club exploded offensively is when Peters turned them into a rush team and they were lethal on counters, they drove the net, D drove down for multiple opportunities etc. Other than that though they've struggled to score for years because they don't do the little things well in the offensive zone. When it's easy they are good but when things get tight they fold. 

I'm not sure Sutter can change that mindset but that is what is needed IMO. I don't think defense first is the issue for me

Can you be both?

A defensive team that explodes in transition?

We were lethal back then.

But I do see the lack of going to the net as a big problem this season.

I think Sutter has said the same in maybe different words.

Not going to the tough areas.

Great at times on the boards, but teams will give that up to guard the house.

You need to attack both.

Tkachuk should live in the blue paint and let whomever fight to get the shots on net.

He can be a non-factor on the boards, so I would put him where he earns his money.

Gaudreau isn't able to setup anyone in the slot.

And that transition is gone, somewhat due to his other linemates.

I don't think we expect him to be a Lucic on the boards.

For me, the games are won and lost on the special teams.

Need to do something with the style we play on PP.

The PP is pathetic - 19th.

I'm actually surprised that it's at 20% right now.

The PK isn't as bad - 13th, though a bad game kills us.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Can you be both?

A defensive team that explodes in transition?

We were lethal back then.

But I do see the lack of going to the net as a big problem this season.

The downsize to the system under Peters was two fold. 1 while they didn't give up a high volume of chances, when they did give up chances it was usually of high quality and in particular they gave up more odd man rushes. 2 the problem with being a team that lives off the rush if what's plan B when you shut it down? (see Colorado series). It's just not Calgary either that struggled with it as both Tampa and Winnipeg last year were teams that really lived off the rush and got exploited in the playoffs. It's tough to execute when space gets tight.

I'm not sure you can be great at both. While I do think Sutter's system is limiting offence for the Flames it's not stifling it completely. I think the Flames will be able to score under Sutter but they are going to have to really start pushing through checks in the offensive zone, be willing to initiate contact, drive the net and crash the net. 

it be great if the Flames could adopt more of the tampa style o zone play which involves more puck movement, player movement, and using open space but that would mean getting away from point shots and net front presence which are 2 Sutter staples. 

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The downsize to the system under Peters was two fold. 1 while they didn't give up a high volume of chances, when they did give up chances it was usually of high quality and in particular they gave up more odd man rushes. 2 the problem with being a team that lives off the rush if what's plan B when you shut it down? (see Colorado series). It's just not Calgary either that struggled with it as both Tampa and Winnipeg last year were teams that really lived off the rush and got exploited in the playoffs. It's tough to execute when space gets tight.

I'm not sure you can be great at both. While I do think Sutter's system is limiting offence for the Flames it's not stifling it completely. I think the Flames will be able to score under Sutter but they are going to have to really start pushing through checks in the offensive zone, be willing to initiate contact, drive the net and crash the net. 

it be great if the Flames could adopt more of the tampa style o zone play which involves more puck movement, player movement, and using open space but that would mean getting away from point shots and net front presence which are 2 Sutter staples. 

I think the biggest problem with the offence is that they don’t get the puck into high danger areas and when they do it is an easy stoppable puck. 

they need plays that get more net front chances and ones that provide 2nd or 3rd chances and ones that get the goalies moving. 

how often have I seen the goalie have to go side to side to score a goal? The last time I remembered that was a game against the Oilers a few weeks back and Smith looked average and slow on the play but the rest of the chances were all just straight ones and easy to stop. It’s like others and you’ve said earlier, everyone knows Johnny is going to shoot on odd man rushes and hold and hold and hold until the play dies. Someone said, why not pass more on those plays? Whatever happened to the weave coming into a zone?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Not sure I see the issue... Frankly I like the emotion it shows he at least gives a Satoshi Nakamoto. Really a none story, maybe to make everyone feel better they should have gone and given him a hug, Just to bad they dont show that emotion on the ice during the game

14-6-3 is what the Flames would need to close out the season and that’s to give us a 50% chance to make the playoffs. It’s not happening.  If we lose to the Sens again tonight I’d say it’s officially a wrap for this team. The morale and up and downs of this year let alone another change at coach have overwhelmed this team already. 

Based on what I’ve seen thus far , there’s no reason to believe this team can make the playoffs. Even if that miracle happens I don’t see them going far as usual. I’m probably even more confused about this teams’ identity then when the season began 😩

3 hours ago, rickross said:

14-6-3 is what the Flames would need to close out the season and that’s to give us a 50% chance to make the playoffs. It’s not happening.  If we lose to the Sens again tonight I’d say it’s officially a wrap for this team. The morale and up and downs of this year let alone another change at coach have overwhelmed this team already. 

Based on what I’ve seen thus far , there’s no reason to believe this team can make the playoffs. Even if that miracle happens I don’t see them going far as usual. I’m probably even more confused about this teams’ identity then when the season began 😩

You can look at it a different way.

If the Flames get to the playoffs, it means they are playing on fire.

You would be hard pressed to find a tougher team to play.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You can look at it a different way.

If the Flames get to the playoffs, it means they are playing on fire.

You would be hard pressed to find a tougher team to play.

Yeah I could look at it a different way but I have no reason to. This team isn’t a playoff team, not even close. At this point dreaming of the Flames as this playoff team riding a ton of momentum is pure fantasy. Never going to happen. The Sens destroyed us this season, I can’t even imagine what a playoff team would do. 

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

Yeah I could look at it a different way but I have no reason to. This team isn’t a playoff team, not even close. At this point dreaming of the Flames as this playoff team riding a ton of momentum is pure fantasy. Never going to happen. The Sens destroyed us this season, I can’t even imagine what a playoff team would do. 

I'm just suggesting what the team is, but what they could do IF they make the playoffs.

16 wins and very few losses means they have figured it out and are playing BIG BOY hockey.

You don't win in the playoffs by coasting in (see Oilers, Edmonton) like the Flames did in 2018/19.