WHO ARE THE CALGARY FLAMES???

rickross

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

Not me i wasnt told i couldnt say a word it was someone else that was told this they told me they never said i couldnt tell no one cause i would if i was asked not to

Look, it's no big deal.  I find it odd that they singled out one player, when there are a lot more issues than Gaudreau.

He may have his faults.  I think the least of the worry should be him playing safe.

He's the least likely to take a hit to make a play.

Dump and chase and retrieve is not a wise idea to protect a player like that.

And after Pionk railed him into the boards, nobody was sent out to deal with him.

That's not doing anything to send a message or protect the player.

TBH, if he is being labeled as a cancer, there is old vs young issues on this team.

Gio and Lucic on one side and Tkachuk/Gaudreau on the other.

Just my opinion, but I think there are bigger issues than one player.

14 minutes ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

To me this looks like somebody trying to shift blame.  I find myself wondering if The_Snowbear doesn't have some truth to his posts.

Side note, how the heck to I post videos to the forum?

https://i.gyazo.com/639e49243288e3dab9f775fd4e351bff.mp4

Care to elaborate what you imply?

As far as posting videos, right click and copy video address.  It shows up like below:

On 4/4/2021 at 7:02 AM, The_Snowbear said:

So I was Talking to a Friend of mine that is Good Friends with Martin Gelina's, Now From what she Said to me the Problems With the Flames start with Johhny Gudreau He refuses to listen to Coaches He is the reason during his tenure on this team the coaches have been fired.. Now the Main Reason Brad treliving is Still the Gm of this Team after All the coaches at this time is Cause Himself Jim Bean(part-owner) Craig Conroy And Martin Gelina's Are Concerned for Johnny That he is literally Gonna Be serious injured out there and Cause he refuses to listen That is Why Darryl Sutter Was hired  Cause from What Gelinas Told her he is a Cancer in the locker room 

Johnny is not the reason Bill Peters got fired.  Neither Hartley because BT wanted his own guy and that guy was Gulutzan.

So Johnny got Ward fired?  Hardly true.  As time went on it became obvious Ward was not NHL material.  He should be fired simply on that basis alone.

And also, how is Johnny supposed to get "seriously injured out there cause he refuses to listen"?  Johnny is not training and weight lifting per coaches recommended schedules?  Any player can get seriously injured at any time.

2 minutes ago, bigfaninlethbridge said:

Thanks for that.  I'm implying that he is pulling the "it's not my fault it's these idiots I'm playing with that are to blame" 

Fair enough.  I think he also has a bit of a point.  🙂 

Too bad if that's what it came to.

We should have been doing things to make the team better.

Must be tough to watch your team implode after you get a lead.

Why we insist on trying to turn a attack on the rush line into a dump and chase line is beyond me.

It was well intentioned to have depth at C, but the impact is that Lindholm is supposed to be the shutdown C as well as the scoring line C.

The Monahan line is dump and chase.

Backlund is defensive starts and sump and chase.

You want Monahan's line to sump it, send in Mangiapane.

He's one of the best at flying into the zone.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Fair enough.  I think he also has a bit of a point.  🙂 

Too bad if that's what it came to.

We should have been doing things to make the team better.

Must be tough to watch your team implode after you get a lead.

Why we insist on trying to turn a attack on the rush line into a dump and chase line is beyond me.

It was well intentioned to have depth at C, but the impact is that Lindholm is supposed to be the shutdown C as well as the scoring line C.

The Monahan line is dump and chase.

Backlund is defensive starts and sump and chase.

You want Monahan's line to sump it, send in Mangiapane.

He's one of the best at flying into the zone.

Yup, Mango is one of our bright lights.  He's gonna be good.  (already good, gonna be great!)

We are lacking his type of tenacity for sure.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Johnny is not the reason Bill Peters got fired.  Neither Hartley because BT wanted his own guy and that guy was Gulutzan.

So Johnny got Ward fired?  Hardly true.  As time went on it became obvious Ward was not NHL material.  He should be fired simply on that basis alone.

And also, how is Johnny supposed to get "seriously injured out there cause he refuses to listen"?  Johnny is not training and weight lifting per coaches recommended schedules?  Any player can get seriously injured at any time.

it wasn’t just Johnny, it was many players, but I do believe he is a part of the reason Hartley was let go. 
im not a believer Johnny is part of the problem but I am pretty convinced he’s not part of the solution either. I get the reluctance to trade him but I’ve personally never really seen a player all in to do what it takes to win. 
not sure I’d go as far to say he doesn’t listen to coaches though and you’ve seen him change up his game under different coaches. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

it wasn’t just Johnny, it was many players, but I do believe he is a part of the reason Hartley was let go. 
im not a believer Johnny is part of the problem but I am pretty convinced he’s not part of the solution either. I get the reluctance to trade him but I’ve personally never really seen a player all in to do what it takes to win. 
not sure I’d go as far to say he doesn’t listen to coaches though and you’ve seen him change up his game under different coaches. 

Trading him makes sense to re-tool and find a player that can play regular season as well as playoffs.

I doubt we get one for him in trade.

But, I guess the point is that he was on a bargain deal, so we would need to pony up to keep him.

He's not a C.

He hasn't done much in the playoffs.

If you are keeping him, you better get him two players that can drag him into the fight.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, rickross said:

Can you still be a fan if you’ve lost full confidence in your team? 😬

Sure, and you should!

For me, I'm a hockey fan that happens to love the Flames. I don't mind watching them lose if I got to watch a great game, or a great series. This year it has been very frustrating because it has been no fun at all to watch them lose. It has only been marginally better watching them win.

That said, they're my boys, and my team! I'll always pull for them, but it's good to be an honest fan.

Love.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Sure, and you should!

For me, I'm a hockey fan that happens to love the Flames. I don't mind watching them lose if I got to watch a great game, or a great series. This year it has been very frustrating because it has been no fun at all to watch them lose. It has only been marginally better watching them win.

That said, they're my boys, and my team! I'll always pull for them, but it's good to be an honest fan.

Love.

What about too honest? 

I might be overly honest. :P

But I agree. Up until '04 I used to love watching them and watch them lose because it looked like they cared. When they don't care, it gets hard to watch. It has looked that way for around 5 years now? It was hard for me to get up for the 2018/19 team because they would start off a game (seemingly) asleep. They'd get down a goal or two and then start playing. They'd play a great 3rd period, but playing from behind too much isn't a recipe for success, nor is playing 1.5 periods of hockey. Also, I think there's a difference between a team pressing them while the Flames are standing on their heels and a team pressing them while the Flames are engaged in the play. The on/off switch can't always be flicked on when at will in the Playoffs or when games get hard later in the season. 

I really think teams know this about the Flames, that if they press, that's how to beat them, and they do press them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, robrob74 said:

What about too honest? 

I might be overly honest. :P

But I agree. Up until '04 I used to love watching them and watch them lose because it looked like they cared. When they don't care, it gets hard to watch. It has looked that way for around 5 years now? It was hard for me to get up for the 2018/19 team because they would start off a game (seemingly) asleep. They'd get down a goal or two and then start playing. They'd play a great 3rd period, but playing from behind too much isn't a recipe for success, nor is playing 1.5 periods of hockey. Also, I think there's a difference between a team pressing them while the Flames are standing on their heels and a team pressing them while the Flames are engaged in the play. The on/off switch can't always be flicked on when at will in the Playoffs or when games get hard later in the season. 

I really think teams know this about the Flames, that if they press, that's how to beat them, and they do press them.

I think it's hard to define where they struggles originate.  Pressing them is not the reason.  It may be a symptom of their play.

TBH, I see a team incapable some nights of completing a pass.

That's not another tea pressing them, that's a total inability to play a NHL game.

I would describe some of them play as being Peewee at best.

Then there are game where things click.

Passes crisp.

Smart decisions made.

For me, this has been a frustrating year.  So few games that they have it together.

When they do, they are dangerous.

If you use 5 years as a timeframe, there are some constants.

Gio, Backlund, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, Stone.

A year less than 5; Brodie, Janko maybe a few others.

A few of those may need to go to remake the team.

I can't even tell you what the team is.  What their model is.  What they are trying to do.

I can’t recall a time when I was this down on the Flames. Been through some embarrassing 1st rd exists for years but this season has almost been unbearable to watch. Like many of you, there’s no enjoyment in watching this team anymore.  That’s a huge hit to the Flames “brand”...whatever that is exactly. It’s at a point where I don’t even want them to make the playoffs at this point as we all know they’d lose in that 1st rd anyway.  Too much middling success with this franchise. Everything about us is so average if not below average. 

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think it's hard to define where they struggles originate.  Pressing them is not the reason.  It may be a symptom of their play.

TBH, I see a team incapable some nights of completing a pass.

That's not another tea pressing them, that's a total inability to play a NHL game.

I would describe some of them play as being Peewee at best.

Then there are game where things click.

Passes crisp.

Smart decisions made.

For me, this has been a frustrating year.  So few games that they have it together.

When they do, they are dangerous.

If you use 5 years as a timeframe, there are some constants.

Gio, Backlund, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, Stone.

A year less than 5; Brodie, Janko maybe a few others.

A few of those may need to go to remake the team.

I can't even tell you what the team is.  What their model is.  What they are trying to do.

its funny seeing all of our arguments and reasons for things, but you really sum up TmAc and Conundrum, how they view it there. I see it similarly but see other things that I tend to emphasize more. It’s kind of like a chef using herbs spices that don’t match and end up making something horribly wrong. The spices are usually really good and work with some of the other spices we use, but not with others. 

19 hours ago, robrob74 said:

its funny seeing all of our arguments and reasons for things, but you really sum up TmAc and Conundrum, how they view it there. I see it similarly but see other things that I tend to emphasize more. It’s kind of like a chef using herbs spices that don’t match and end up making something horribly wrong. The spices are usually really good and work with some of the other spices we use, but not with others. 

If it was a simple thing, they would have fixed it.  I don't think we have people capable of fixing it because they don't see the problems, or are so invested in the community that they can't possibly change things.  We saw a Norrris season from Gio playing with a player that wasn't credited for it.  And more than 50% of those points happened with Gaudreau on the ice.  That's simplistic of course, but the best thing Gio has done is that one season and his community involvement.  He's never done squat in the playoffs, and the one year we went past the first round, he wasn't even there for the end of the season or playoffs.  Yet, he's the captain and we would be loathe to trade or expose him in the draft.

Backlund was one of the best two-way players we had, yet the playoffs he was on the ice for game losing goals.  Or tying goals that we lose in OT.  

My point is they need to figure out who best fits.  Who is helping and who isn't.  Building on strengths and weaknesses.  But we add parts that don't fit.  And we don't look at who we are trying to fit them to.  Individually, we have some high level players that we can't find the right chemistry to use.  Coaching this year has made that even more difficult.  Steadfast refusal to look at the players and find the right lines.  It took until we were out of the mix to even consider Monahan away from Gaudreau.  Gio away from Ras.  

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If it was a simple thing, they would have fixed it.  I don't think we have people capable of fixing it because they don't see the problems, or are so invested in the community that they can't possibly change things.  We saw a Norrris season from Gio playing with a player that wasn't credited for it.  And more than 50% of those points happened with Gaudreau on the ice.  That's simplistic of course, but the best thing Gio has done is that one season and his community involvement.  He's never done squat in the playoffs, and the one year we went past the first round, he wasn't even there for the end of the season or playoffs.  Yet, he's the captain and we would be loathe to trade or expose him in the draft.

Backlund was one of the best two-way players we had, yet the playoffs he was on the ice for game losing goals.  Or tying goals that we lose in OT.  

My point is they need to figure out who best fits.  Who is helping and who isn't.  Building on strengths and weaknesses.  But we add parts that don't fit.  And we don't look at who we are trying to fit them to.  Individually, we have some high level players that we can't find the right chemistry to use.  Coaching this year has made that even more difficult.  Steadfast refusal to look at the players and find the right lines.  It took until we were out of the mix to even consider Monahan away from Gaudreau.  Gio away from Ras.  

I agree~!

What BT talked about in his exit interviews was that they were going to make changes. He spoke to the fans as if he saw what we saw. Of course he's not going to say what he's going to do, and he said that they would analyze the tapes and determine it from there. So you'd think they would see it similarly. I think the lack of inaction in the off season is almost as bad as what happened with the coaching during the season. Like you said, changing up pieces to find the right mix, and neglecting to do so for the main pieces. 

And we all have our own ideas of who might work together. For now, I would like to see Tkachuk stick with Gaudreau and hopefully Lindholm. 

Tough call. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree~!

What BT talked about in his exit interviews was that they were going to make changes. He spoke to the fans as if he saw what we saw. Of course he's not going to say what he's going to do, and he said that they would analyze the tapes and determine it from there. So you'd think they would see it similarly. I think the lack of inaction in the off season is almost as bad as what happened with the coaching during the season. Like you said, changing up pieces to find the right mix, and neglecting to do so for the main pieces. 

And we all have our own ideas of who might work together. For now, I would like to see Tkachuk stick with Gaudreau and hopefully Lindholm. 

Tough call. 

I'm not going to call him out for failing to trade Gaudreau and Monahan and Gio (if that was his plan) this summer.

You don't just trade for the sake of trading.

Those are re-tool trades and have to be done 100% properly.

The NTC's kicked in for two of those three.

Where I have an issue is that he failed to make trades to free up cap and sign anyone that could make a difference.

We were not just a goalie and shutdown D away from being a contender.

He recognized that we lacked a top 6C, but raped the lines to get it.

That was never going to make us better, just give us another C to work with.

That's sounds backwards, but I don't think it was the right choice.

Not without immediately replacing a top 6 RW.

Expecting your best 2-way C to now carry a slower big guy, and not having that perfect complement RW was insane.

We would have been better off filling a line with players that complement Backlund.

Free agency was a fail; Leivo, Simon, Nordstrom, Nesterov, Domingue, Sparks, Rinaldo, Stone.... Just more of the same.

That's almost $6m spent on 4th liners that could perhaps provide some injury depth.

Not how you get better.

I would have preferred keeping Janko over Simon.  Lots of value deals for depth defense over a has-been KHL player and a player you buy out and re-sign twice.

And TDL was disappointing.  Shopping Bennett and Rittich was fine, but we should have had better pieces to shop than Ritchie and Leivo.

We didn't bring in anything prior to April when we still had a chance to make the playoffs.

We desperately needed a RD, yet Montour was available for a late 3rd.

I don't care if he was a pending UFA.

It's a rental you can re-sign.

Just a poor example off the top of my head.  

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Crazy as it may seem, the door is wide open for the Flames.

Obviously, Wednesday is huge, but MTL is reeling. They've had every opportunity to bury the Flames and haven't.

It could be a very interesting stretch run

Theres some good and bad points to the way the end of the season is shaping up.

The good:  Recently we've seen teams that finish the season and go into the playoffs on a hot streak do quite well in the post season. Up to which round would be considered a success is debatable. Any players that turn it up near the end increase their value for either trade or within the team next season.

The Bad:   A repeat of many years past. Either underachieve in the playoffs or miss then altogether, all while landing themselves of of a top 10 pick.  All the questions....... what the problem is? How do you fix it? Who goes who stays? Are still left unanswered.

As a still vaguely optimistic fan I still want them to do good, but either really good or really bad, not this middle of the road nonsense that has crippled this franchise for decades now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The good:  Recently we've seen teams that finish the season and go into the playoffs on a hot streak do quite well in the post season. Up to which round would be considered a success is debatable. Any players that turn it up near the end increase their value for either trade or within the team next season.

The Bad:   A repeat of many years past. Either underachieve in the playoffs or miss then altogether, all while landing themselves of of a top 10 pick.  All the questions....... what the problem is? How do you fix it? Who goes who stays? Are still left unanswered.

As a still vaguely optimistic fan I still want them to do good, but either really good or really bad, not this middle of the road nonsense that has crippled this franchise for decades now.

Tomorrow's game will go a long way in deciding where I'm at for this stretch run.

Flames win and you can see a path to the playoffs.

Flames lose tomorrow and it's 6 back with an MTL game in hand. Could be 8 back with only 8 games left. If that happens tomorrow I hope things go South down the stretch.

Where I'm at is I want anything other than 4-4-1 down then stretch here. That doesn't get you into the playoffs and it doesn't get you a top 10 pick

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Crazy as it may seem, the door is wide open for the Flames.

Obviously, Wednesday is huge, but MTL is reeling. They've had every opportunity to bury the Flames and haven't.

It could be a very interesting stretch run

I forget, what is Wednesday?  We play the Oilers on Thursday and Saturday.

MTL plays TOR Wednesday.  Is that what you refer to?

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

This is one year where there really isn't any coasting into the playoffs.  No meaningless games.  We need to be on a run to make the playoffs and need other teams to fail at the same time.  TOR has more issues going in than we do.  More of a spotlight on them for being a leader for the entire year and now looking mortal.  

It's difficult to point to the bad because you just don't know.  Was last year a poor effort in the playoffs?  Yes and no.  The players didn't show up in some cases, but I felt that coaching was a major reason for the loss.  Not excusing the players, but I don't think you can say that player X has to go because of the poor showing this playoffs.  If you did, then Gio, Backlund and Tkachuk are at the top of the list.  TBH, last playoffs was a gimick.  Season paused for over 4 months.  A play-in series and round 1 against a team with a buy.  

Let the chips fall as they may.  We are learning more about the players now than in previous years.  The going is tough.  They are doing the things they need to do to win.  If we come close but miss it, we won't be any worse than 10th likely.  Too many teams that haven't given up.  If we get in, then we face TOR most likely.  That would be a hard fought series, but no more so than Dallas was.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I forget, what is Wednesday?  We play the Oilers on Thursday and Saturday.

MTL plays TOR Wednesday.  Is that what you refer to?

This is one year where there really isn't any coasting into the playoffs.  No meaningless games.  We need to be on a run to make the playoffs and need other teams to fail at the same time.  TOR has more issues going in than we do.  More of a spotlight on them for being a leader for the entire year and now looking mortal.  

It's difficult to point to the bad because you just don't know.  Was last year a poor effort in the playoffs?  Yes and no.  The players didn't show up in some cases, but I felt that coaching was a major reason for the loss.  Not excusing the players, but I don't think you can say that player X has to go because of the poor showing this playoffs.  If you did, then Gio, Backlund and Tkachuk are at the top of the list.  TBH, last playoffs was a gimick.  Season paused for over 4 months.  A play-in series and round 1 against a team with a buy.  

Let the chips fall as they may.  We are learning more about the players now than in previous years.  The going is tough.  They are doing the things they need to do to win.  If we come close but miss it, we won't be any worse than 10th likely.  Too many teams that haven't given up.  If we get in, then we face TOR most likely.  That would be a hard fought series, but no more so than Dallas was.

After all the hype and expectations on the Laffs this year  can you imagine being the team that takes them out in the first round? I cant even fathom what would be going through the minds of Leafs nation then.