WHO ARE THE CALGARY FLAMES???

rickross

29 minutes ago, rickross said:

It didn’t take long but we are simply an older, slower and less skilled team all over again. We don’t have the right mix of players, hence why we can’t seem to put any effective lines together. The Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri contracts are already starting to look like cap anchors for this team. Sutter will be around for a couple more years and it appears we are heading towards another retool/rebuild. We’re a middling team once again, IF we even make the playoffs  we’re looking like 1st round exit fodder. This simple dump and chase, high shot volume with low efficiency tactic with a team littered with too many average players isn’t going to work. We simply are not good enough as a team or franchise right now. There is much work to be done here. 

Quoted for truth, but I'd argue that we're as good as middling. The scary part is the bad teams are coming around to being middling and good soon while we're likely getting worse with this plan.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Quoted for truth, but I'd argue that we're as good as middling. The scary part is the bad teams are coming around to being middling and good soon while we're likely getting worse with this plan.

If we were able to keep some picks over the years maybe there would be some depth youth to sustain it, but I think you and Rickross are right. I think we will be stuck in that middling area for awhile. Can Zary, Coranato, and others come up and help the middle 6 on the roster to keep us in a playoff spot? 

Could a line of Huberdeau, Zary, Pelletier/Coranato be a thing? 

Can we dream of a better future?

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If we were able to keep some picks over the years maybe there would be some depth youth to sustain it, but I think you and Rickross are right. I think we will be stuck in that middling area for awhile. Can Zary, Coranato, and others come up and help the middle 6 on the roster to keep us in a playoff spot? 

Could a line of Huberdeau, Zary, Pelletier/Coranato be a thing? 

Can we dream of a better future?

I think the point of those two posters is that we have created the Frankenstein of a team.  

I disagree that the three newest contracts are the problem.  At the very least we should try combos now.

There is nothing in any recent wins to suggest we are set up right.

He's an odd fact, when Kadri is a minus player for the night we are 4-16-6.

When he's a plus player, we are 14-0-3.

Doesn't take into account the even games.

For context, Kadri is a minus player 9 times since January 1st and plus player 4 times.

That signals to be that he should be with the top defensive players or a power foward like Nichushkin.

At the very least Coleman, maybe Duehr?

AT the very least we need to build around Hubey and Weegar.  

What we have is two different teams and neither of them is good.

I think I’ve figured out the root cause of this disappointing season. The inconsistency, all the posts and crossbars , the inability to close out games, the poor goaltending, the feeling of being snake bitten, why we outshoot the opponents but still lose..everything! The problem is Darryl Sutter!

He’s the defending Jack Adams winner from last year. It is a known fact..the coaches who win Jack Adams see a significant downgrade in their teams play the following season. Enter the Calgary Flames 

Who are the Calgary Flames we ponder? 
We are cursed!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think I’ve figured out the root cause of this disappointing season. The inconsistency, all the posts and crossbars , the inability to close out games, the poor goaltending, the feeling of being snake bitten, why we outshoot the opponents but still lose..everything! The problem is Darryl Sutter!

He’s the defending Jack Adams winner from last year. It is a known fact..the coaches who win Jack Adams see a significant downgrade in their teams play the following season. Enter the Calgary Flames 

Who are the Calgary Flames we ponder? 
We are cursed!

I know you are joking in a way, but it lines up.

The coach comes in and demands, demands.

We have a great season and a lousy playoffs.

The following year some changes and the demand, demand wears thin.

That happens when the results dont justify it.

Blame it on the team I get.  In some ways yes.

The coach sometimes needs to change to meet the team.

Especially when you get older vets in that have played very well elsewhere.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I know you are joking in a way, but it lines up.

The coach comes in and demands, demands.

We have a great season and a lousy playoffs.

The following year some changes and the demand, demand wears thin.

That happens when the results dont justify it.

Blame it on the team I get.  In some ways yes.

The coach sometimes needs to change to meet the team.

Especially when you get older vets in that have played very well elsewhere.

You know what TD…at this point I’ll reach for anything to make sense of this bizarre season. It’s been odd watching bad luck impact this team on top of our inability to play consistent and winning hockey. The Jack Adam curse exists for a reason, same thing happened to the team the year after Hartley took us to the playoffs. I don’t feel the players have tuned out Sutter but there are alot of good things this team did last year that just didn’t carry forward to this season. The team was cursed the moment we lost Gaudreau and Tkachuk after a successful season like that, seems like success seems to set this team back instead of progress it?

https://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/39987/ramblings-the-curse-of-the-jack-adams-award

The curse is real!!! 🤨

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rickross said:

You know what TD…at this point I’ll reach for anything to make sense of this bizarre season. It’s been odd watching bad luck impact this team on top of our inability to play consistent and winning hockey. The Jack Adam curse exists for a reason, same thing happened to the team the year after Hartley took us to the playoffs. I don’t feel the players have tuned out Sutter but there are alot of good things this team did last year that just didn’t carry forward to this season. The team was cursed the moment we lost Gaudreau and Tkachuk after a successful season like that, seems like success seems to set this team back instead of progress it?

https://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/39987/ramblings-the-curse-of-the-jack-adams-award

The curse is real!!! 🤨

Okay, so you have one line plus Mangiapane having career seasons.

3 of the 4 was their contract years.  

Play enough to the coach's ways, but more to the abilities of the line?

We were top heavy and the D scored more or assisted more in general.

Backlund is having a better year, but the team isn't.

I can't make sense out of it.

But I have my theory that the good stuff that Sutter brought was only efficient with two superstars.

For an less skilled team or maybe just a different set of players that doesn't work.