WHO ARE THE CALGARY FLAMES???

rickross

Is Tkachuk really ready to be captain?

I'm not in the room so I can't comment there but on ice, while I appreciate many, many ways of how he plays the games i still think his "antics" sometimes hurt the team as much as he helps it. 

I'm not sure that's the personality this team should really take on. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not in the room so I can't comment there but on ice, while I appreciate many, many ways of how he plays the games i still think his "antics" sometimes hurt the team as much as he helps it. 

The fact that between the pen flip during last years playoffs and the reaction to the Muzzin puck flip I think thats exactly the kind of leader the rest need. Someone who actually gets pissed when things dont go right, someone who actually looks like they care. He may not be everyones idea of a leader but I cant think of anyone else on the roster that would be any better.

27 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The fact that between the pen flip during last years playoffs and the reaction to the Muzzin puck flip I think thats exactly the kind of leader the rest need. Someone who actually gets pissed when things dont go right, someone who actually looks like they care. He may not be everyones idea of a leader but I cant think of anyone else on the roster that would be any better.

So throwing temper tantrums is a sign of leadership.  Carlos Zambrano I guess is the greatest leader in sports history.

There is a full career of his highlights of doing Satoshi Nakamoto like this.  Not so many of him leading teams to meaningful games

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The on ice antics aside, Tkachuk says the right things about the the team's play.

You are right, we don't know what happens in the locker room.

The only issue I even have with Gio is that it's been his team for years and we still have team issues.

Lead by doing is fine if you are doing.

We shouldn't hear the same lines after every no-show team game.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The on ice antics aside, Tkachuk says the right things about the the team's play.

You are right, we don't know what happens in the locker room.

The only issue I even have with Gio is that it's been his team for years and we still have team issues.

Lead by doing is fine if you are doing.

We shouldn't hear the same lines after every no-show team game.

At the same time, it was Tkachuk who challenged the team and said they were going to be much better. Went out and had one of the worst games he's had as a pro. 

That's nothing against Tkachuk, it happens. The point is talk is pretty cheap and the captain role is overrated. I don't see what this team gains by swapping letters. 

31 minutes ago, sak22 said:

So throwing temper tantrums is a sign of leadership.  Carlos Zambrano I guess is the greatest leader in sports history.

There is a full career of his highlights of doing Satoshi Nakamoto like this.  Not so many of him leading teams to meaningful games

It may not be all leadership material but at least it shows someone gives a s***. More than can be said for alot of the others alot of the nights.

Theres nothing I despise more than the tired, scripted excuses that get used after every lackluster performance.

And comparing Chucky to a career abuser of officials is hardly fair.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At the same time, it was Tkachuk who challenged the team and said they were going to be much better. Went out and had one of the worst games he's had as a pro. 

That's nothing against Tkachuk, it happens. The point is talk is pretty cheap and the captain role is overrated. I don't see what this team gains by swapping letters. 

I'm with you on this one.  I remember Burke calling out the refs back in '02 over how many Red Wings were able to talk to the refs after a call.  But how many guys were captains on other teams, I think leadership needs to go beyond the 1 guy with a C or 2 A's.  I'm biased because this is another of my teams, but its a team that's winning so its harder to criticize.  But I find this more inspiring than a stick slamming or door slamming.

But leadership on that team goes a lot deeper than just 2 players, some great leaders on the defense as well with Mathieu.  But the real difference between my two teams is one has a top 10 player in the league at most positions, some even the top player, and the Flames have a top 10 goalie and thats it.

19 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

It may not be all leadership material but at least it shows someone gives a s***. More than can be said for alot of the others alot of the nights.

Theres nothing I despise more than the tired, scripted excuses that get used after every lackluster performance.

And comparing Chucky to a career abuser of officials is hardly fair.

Just pointing out, he obviously cares if he is that intense.  His teams never performed and he was really only average, but can't say he didn't care.  Just think takes more to win than being angry over losses.

44 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Just pointing out, he obviously cares if he is that intense.  His teams never performed and he was really only average, but can't say he didn't care.  Just think takes more to win than being angry over losses.

Absolutely. For now I just dont see anyone who could be the heir apparent for the captaincy.

I’m not sure Tkachuk is ready for captain’s duty just yet either, but I suggested it because I think there needs to be a changing of the guard. Tkachuk is already the go to guy for media to talk to on game day, he always says the right things, he’s respectful of the game off the ice, he’s a student of the game and is always learning more and watching more, and he’s showing leadership already by telling the media they’re going to see “more emotion tonight”. 

Lindholm is definitely deserving of an A and I’d give him Backlund’s yesterday. Andersson may be premature for an A as well, but he’s definitely trending that way. Maybe we go no C and just A’s for now, but, I think the team may be better served with younger leadership and veteran support. 

my 2 pence. 

• Like 2

Why do letter's need to change for there to being a change of the guard though?

What's getting lost is Conroy didn't turn the C over to Iginla because he felt there needed to be a change of the guard. he did it because it was already happening and he felt wrong to be holding it back. 

so unless it's already happening in the locker room, I don't see what effect it will have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Why do letter's need to change for there to being a change of the guard though?

What's getting lost is Conroy didn't turn the C over to Iginla because he felt there needed to be a change of the guard. he did it because it was already happening and he felt wrong to be holding it back. 

so unless it's already happening in the locker room, I don't see what effect it will have. 

Aside from a trade - in a difficult season to do so - I’m not sure what options there are to try to wake the players up or get a consistent effort of them. Shortened season considered, 6 games in to have a players only meeting, and then still not put in a complete effort to win a game (Thank you Markstrom) it’s simply a suggestion on my part that’s not dissimilar from everyday workplace scenarios. One day, you’re the manager (Captain) and you’re running a team of employees. The employees learn how the manager works, what they need to do, what they can get away with, and find a “comfort zone”. Then, in comes a new manager. Unaware of how this new manager will operate in the role, the employees - for the most part - pick up their socks while they figure out how the new works. It could very well return to the same, but I imagine there would be a difference in the team while they’re figuring out their new comfort zone. 

The flames got complacent with Iggy - Gio modeled himself after Iggy and we have the same scenarios playing out. Maybe we need someone not afraid to lead the way they would lead - instead of following the same path. Again, a thought.

• Like 1

I think I finally figured it out....

Square Peg Round Hole Team

this team always try’s to make pieces fit where they clearly don’t belong, look at the lines, next to no change since the start of the season and 2-3-1 records to show for it, yet again same lines to start the WPG series 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Aside from a trade - in a difficult season to do so - I’m not sure what options there are to try to wake the players up or get a consistent effort of them. Shortened season considered, 6 games in to have a players only meeting, and then still not put in a complete effort to win a game (Thank you Markstrom) it’s simply a suggestion on my part that’s not dissimilar from everyday workplace scenarios. One day, you’re the manager (Captain) and you’re running a team of employees. The employees learn how the manager works, what they need to do, what they can get away with, and find a “comfort zone”. Then, in comes a new manager. Unaware of how this new manager will operate in the role, the employees - for the most part - pick up their socks while they figure out how the new works. It could very well return to the same, but I imagine there would be a difference in the team while they’re figuring out their new comfort zone. 

The flames got complacent with Iggy - Gio modeled himself after Iggy and we have the same scenarios playing out. Maybe we need someone not afraid to lead the way they would lead - instead of following the same path. Again, a thought.

Exactly why they really should try and move Gio and get a little something for him but he should have been traded right after he won the Noris...boy I took heat for that but as it turns out it was the right call and now we will get next to nothing for him, fitting he’s molded himself after Iggy cause he and the flames are definitely on the same track.

Hopefully Tackuck gets the C next year or even better, right after this years TDL...he’s definitely gotta be the next C and just the right guy for that job and should help build a tough identity for the team moving forward 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Exactly why they really should try and move Gio and get a little something for him but he should have been traded right after he won the Noris...boy I took heat for that but as it turns out it was the right call and now we will get next to nothing for him, fitting he’s molded himself after Iggy cause he and the flames are definitely on the same track.

Hopefully Tackuck gets the C next year or even better, right after this years TDL...he’s definitely gotta be the next C and just the right guy for that job and should help build a tough identity for the team moving forward 

mac?

As of next game , the flames better get their butts in gear and start playing desperate playoff type hockey from puck drop . Or else they will be out of the playoff picture before they know it . This division is to tough to be pus*y footing around any longer . Who on this team is gonna step up grab the boys by the scruff and lead them into god damn battle ?  whoever it is  better do it ASAP !

Well, the good thing is, all the Flames have to do to if they wanna make the playoffs is be better than Edmonton.

Ottawa is what they are, Vancouver should be competitive, but who knows what their ownership will do.

I don’t know that this Flames team is very good, but realistically, all they need to do is be better than Oilers, a team that a lot of us like to take shots at for not being very deep.

We’ll see

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Well, the good thing is, all the Flames have to do to if they wanna make the playoffs is be better than Edmonton.

Ottawa is what they are, Vancouver should be competitive, but who knows what their ownership will do.

I don’t know that this Flames team is very good, but realistically, all they need to do is be better than Oilers, a team that a lot of us like to take shots at for not being very deep.

We’ll see

Honestly, still way too early to say which teams are in or out.  The control your own fate takes extra meaning this year.  While Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal all seem in good spots now, those teams have also had very few head to heads to start.  To win this division you need to win the season series vs. all or most, and dominate in a couple of them.  So far we are up in 1 even in 1 and down in 2.  The Jets won their games against us at home, we need to return the favor in our home games.  

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

We’ll see

The goal should be to ensure that EDM is not one of the playoff teams.

Not that the idea of playing them in the playoffs scares me, just that it would put them in the rightful place.

As long as we are 3rd or 4th, we have a good chance of making it to the 2nd round.

I don't actually think that is that difficult.

I actually like our chances in a 2nd round.

We would be facing a team much like our own.

2nd round chokers.

So this topic is more about identity. I know some belive that this phrase is a term that really has no merit, however I disagree. Everyone everyting has an some form of an idenity whether it be subjective or objective. So we look at last years winners of the cup one could demise that they were a fast well structured skilled team, Dallas was a larger phsycal well structured team, those are Idenities. So when you have people, fans, former players making comments that Calgary has no Identity or lost its idenity is a huge problem. Calgary regardless of the ERA, was a tough building to play in. Hell it was a battle to scrap points out of here and if you did, it was with ice bags and bruises. Now I get hockeys gotten more like a teen age girls pillow fight, howver it doesn't mean we can't be tough to play against. Our idenity subjectively or objectively all points to these points We are a semi skilled poorly structured soft hockey club that belives they can win games because they have been lead to beleive their good. Prove me wrong