Oilers

6 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Seeing Coilers lose out and TO was like an early Xmas gift. These two teams I just can't stand at all, it's more the announcers and bloody annoying fans that drive me nuts. Anyway, I can't lie was a glorious week seeing them fall flat.

I have no love for Principe, and while I didn't mind Harnarayan Singh when he was calling the Flames games, I started to cringe every time I heard him yell about "a bouch-bomb!"

Love.

5 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I have no love for Principe, and while I didn't mind Harnarayan Singh when he was calling the Flames games, I started to cringe every time I heard him yell about "a bouch-bomb!"

Love.

Singh graduated from calling field hockey, IIRC.  He's got a decent tempo, but gets a little highstrung.  He doesn't always clue into what the reason for a stoppage is.  Suggests it's a penalty when it's a high stick or something else.  Not that all of the others on SN are that much better.  Ball is decent.  Douche from EDM is wound like a top.

Anyway it's good to not have to listen to the love in.  Could this possibly be Connor McD's best game ever?  Silky smooth Draisaitl.  Shooting mentality. McD is winding up and will not be enied.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:33 AM, conundrumed said:

Oilers obsession on a Flames board is always going to be a petty look...

Oilers suck, and will continue to suck until they figure out it takes more then one line to win a cup.

Can't wait to see Mclotto or Drysaddle ask to leave that horrible orginazation.

Latest rumor ... https://bostonhockeynow.com/2023/05/22/nhl-trade-bruins-need-centers-oilers-need-defense-a-match/

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Too funny

They (rumor) are reaching out to BOS for one of their goalies.  Yeah, sure.  Why does BOS do any trade where whey have the best tandem from last year in the NHL.  What are the Oilers going to offer?  Their topp players have NMC's.  Bouchard and Ekholm are the only other valuable pieces.  

Why did they wait until the gong show started to even think they should do something?

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

They (rumor) are reaching out to BOS for one of their goalies.  Yeah, sure.  Why does BOS do any trade where whey have the best tandem from last year in the NHL.  What are the Oilers going to offer?  Their topp players have NMC's.  Bouchard and Ekholm are the only other valuable pieces.  

Why did they wait until the gong show started to even think they should do something?

They are above defence and goaltending

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I like Ekholm, but even he wasn't enough to prevent scoring on 16 shots.

I also see they are loading up the top line with McD, Dria and Kane.

They haven't scored many at 5v5, so I guess this makes sense.

They will get some regular season runs and there will be much talk of cups when they do.  

Calgary will see the next cup in Alberta though.

Edmonton will need to get dismantled before they can seriously compete for one.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

They will get some regular season runs and there will be much talk of cups when they do.  

Calgary will see the next cup in Alberta though.

Edmonton will need to get dismantled before they can seriously compete for one.

Unfortunately, I think you're very wrong about this one.

Hot take: Edmonton wins the cup in the next three years, but they might just do it this year. 

Love.

17 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Unfortunately, I think you're very wrong about this one.

Hot take: Edmonton wins the cup in the next three years, but they might just do it this year. 

Love.

I really don't know how to take this criticism,  people usually agree with what I say.

10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I really don't know how to take this criticism,  people usually agree with what I say.

98%

I don't believe that the Oilers are close.  I say that because they fall into the exact same trap they always have and that is offense and nothing but it.  McD is good at stripping the puck on a backcheck, but that's due to his speed.  He excels in the D-zone by picks and holds.  He's getting better but they have nobody close to a Selke C.

The bigger issue is that they have one NHL D-man that actually understands defense.  

Oilers would need some big season acquisitions for me to put them in the cup contender conversation. I just don't think their D or goaltending is good enough. Bouchard - Ekholm is getting them closer and if they can pick up another player like Ekholm and get a goalie it would change my mind but until that happens I just don't think you can win a cup with Nurse playing 20 mins a night and Campbell/Skinner in net. 

Bigger question is do they have 3 years?  I think they've got 2 because Draistail is gonna be expensive and I think the odds of McDavid staying in Edm are miniscule. 

This year and next and then I think a tear down starts because you can't let McDavid walk for nothing. 

• Like 1

The Oilers are definitely in the "close" category.

Average goalies have won Cups before and shut down D do come available at TDL.  And if that's all the Oilers are missing then it's as close as any other team out there.  Not like they are missing a #1 Center.

Yes they need to upgrade goaltending but a top 12-15 type is enough.  They need two more depth D who focus on defending.  We're talking 4/5/6 type of D which shouldn't be hard.

But I do agree, they have two years.  After that, if Draisaitl and McDavid stay, they are going to eat up even more money than now.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Bigger question is do they have 3 years?  I think they've got 2 because Draistail is gonna be expensive and I think the odds of McDavid staying in Edm are miniscule. 

This is the part I'm not so sure about. Those two play really well together, and the Oilers are the only team where that's a possibility. They are two of the top five players in the world, and there's not a lot of ways to have that kind of firepower. There have also been a handful of players over the years who are able to put a team on their back, and will them a lot further than they should go. I realize that these are examples that have come up short, but Iginla/Kiprusoff in '04, and Pronger in '06. I have to think that after years of losing there has got to be some of that in McDavid/Draisaitl.

I wouldn't mind being very wrong about all this, though. It's weird - I'm one of those rare Albertans that generally likes both teams (obviously, I'm primarily a Flames fan), but this is not a likeable Oilers team, in my opinion.

Love.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Oilers would need some big season acquisitions for me to put them in the cup contender conversation. I just don't think their D or goaltending is good enough. Bouchard - Ekholm is getting them closer and if they can pick up another player like Ekholm and get a goalie it would change my mind but until that happens I just don't think you can win a cup with Nurse playing 20 mins a night and Campbell/Skinner in net. 

This year and next and then I think a tear down starts because you can't let McDavid walk for nothing. 

pretty much this.

It is true that once every 15 years a team wins a cup with a rental goalie.

It is true that once every 15 years a team wins a cup with rental defencemen.

I have never seen any team slap together rental goalies and rental D and come anywhere close to a cup.    It is...an outlier, when just one of these is successful.

Then you've got the contract nightmare.

Really, I think they need better everything except McDavid.  I'm not even really sure how good Draisaitl is without him.

Last but not least,  Gretzky, Crosby, Lemieux, Orr, Ovechkin, Lindros had All peaked before or during the age of 26.        So...okay, it's true I just listed off a lot of injured players.    But, in most cases, they got injured in the playoffs.   Like McDavid did in last year's playoffs.  And the Oilers aren't exactly the NHL's shining example of player safety.

I would actually love to be wrong and see the cup in Alberta.  but....

2 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

This is the part I'm not so sure about. Those two play really well together, and the Oilers are the only team where that's a possibility. They are two of the top five players in the world, and there's not a lot of ways to have that kind of firepower. There have also been a handful of players over the years who are able to put a team on their back, and will them a lot further than they should go. I realize that these are examples that have come up short, but Iginla/Kiprusoff in '04, and Pronger in '06. I have to think that after years of losing there has got to be some of that in McDavid/Draisaitl.

I wouldn't mind being very wrong about all this, though. It's weird - I'm one of those rare Albertans that generally likes both teams (obviously, I'm primarily a Flames fan), but this is not a likeable Oilers team, in my opinion.

Love.

Leon is going to be turn 30 the first month his next contract kicks in, I have my reservations that he will age well as bigger players tend not to, add in the mileage Edmonton puts on these 2 I think it will affect Leon more, what's the AAV on that next deal.  I know people in Edmonton believe they will both take HTD to stay and try and win, but players aren't doing that anymore.  Leon will probably land ahead of Matthews on the next deal, and I think McDavid is doing nothing for the league in Edmonton, I don't even think Edmonton making the finals will be great for ratings in the US unless its against the Rangers, Wings or Bruins.  He can build the leagues brand, build his own brand and have more privacy if he leaves Edmonton.  Although my tinfoil hat has both Leon and Connor joining Matthews in Toronto as the NHL's version of the big 3, as Leon is up at the same time as Tavares and Marner.

So I don't see much of a future for that team in the next 3 years, but for now saying they don't have a chance to win it all is silly, but I don't put them in my top 5 for favorites at the moment.

41 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

I may be wrong on this but so far basically all the buzz is that McDavid is not interested in playing in Edmonton for the duration of his career. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Draistail stays but it will shock me if McDavid does. 

I think McDavid is more likely to stay than Draisaitl.

I have a hard time seeing the German wanting to live in Edmonton from age 18-38. He feels like someone Chicago would pursue to play with Bedard.

If McDavid were to leave, I think he goes to Toronto. He seems like a guy that wouldn't be bothered by all the attention in his hometown.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think McDavid is more likely to stay than Draisaitl.

I have a hard time seeing the German wanting to live in Edmonton from age 18-38. He feels like someone Chicago would pursue to play with Bedard.

If McDavid were to leave, I think he goes to Toronto. He seems like a guy that wouldn't be bothered by all the attention in his hometown.

I tend to agree.

I think McDavid wants to win a Cup badly in EDM to shut up Oilers critics.  And he wants to win before he finishes his career with his hometown TOR.

Draisaitl is more likely to leave than McDavid.

To be more accurate i'm not sure either one stays. I sure as heck woudln't if I were them. City aside I'd be done with the "attempts" made to build a winner around me. 

I see no reason McDavid stays. He'll make more money elsewhere, he doesn't' have to live in Edmonton and he'd likely go to a better team. Even if he wants to stay I think his agent would talk him out of it. He's likely losing out on millions a year by playing in Edmonton. 

The only reason I could see Draisaitl staying is Oilers can make him THEE guy and give him a max deal. I don't think that will speak to McDavid, who like I said I think can make more elsewhere anyway, but it may speak to him. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To be more accurate i'm not sure either one stays. I sure as heck woudln't if I were them. City aside I'd be done with the "attempts" made to build a winner around me. 

I see no reason McDavid stays. He'll make more money elsewhere, he doesn't' have to live in Edmonton and he'd likely go to a better team. Even if he wants to stay I think his agent would talk him out of it. He's likely losing out on millions a year by playing in Edmonton. 

The only reason I could see Draisaitl staying is Oilers can make him THEE guy and give him a max deal. I don't think that will speak to McDavid, who like I said I think can make more elsewhere anyway, but it may speak to him. 

You know what, Man? All I'm seeing here is your failure to consider the really nice view.

Love.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

So..right now, we are Literally in a race with Edmonton for the top pick.   Don't see either of us getting it ahead of the Sharks, but as things stand now we are neck and neck.

So.  Seriously...with their roster, should they be getting a top pick right now?

Should it even be allowed?

There should be some kind of rule against this.   Any elite prospect imho would be crazy to put their jersey on.  They should pull a Lindros.  If Bettman doesn't do it first.   They should be barred from the top 10.  For a long time.