Oilers

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's fun to watch from a far but I do think your going to see them turn it around and go on a run soon. They 100% have issues with how their team is built but at he same time this is more of a slump than some kind of reckoning. I've watched a few periods and they are not playing terrible hockey right now, just not getting the quality offense you'd expect out of their forwards but part of it is bad luck too.  There just a defeated team right now.

They'll get it going and I still think they'll find a way into the playoffs but massive holes are there and I think those who tried to argue they weren't are getting exposed right now. 

That is likely, but as likely is they will overreact and make some dumb decisions.

Fire the coach may change the fortune short term, but I don't think he's that bad a coach.

Make some desperate trade.  They can't just trade picks, so big salary going out is needed for any deal.

Just signed Campbell so nobody is taking that deal.

Top 5 forwards have NMC and Nurse does too.

The rest is depth not making a ton.

Bouchard would get them a decent haul, but what does that solve?

As I said, more likely to panic than let it ride.

56 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's fun to watch from a far but I do think your going to see them turn it around and go on a run soon. They 100% have issues with how their team is built but at he same time this is more of a slump than some kind of reckoning. I've watched a few periods and they are not playing terrible hockey right now, just not getting the quality offense you'd expect out of their forwards but part of it is bad luck too.  There just a defeated team right now.

They'll get it going and I still think they'll find a way into the playoffs but massive holes are there and I think those who tried to argue they weren't are getting exposed right now. 

Depends on the reason.   

Remember "Oil Change"?   Great on youtube.

The actually go on and on about how it's so important for leaders to play injured.  That entire batch of players was lost to injuries.

Is this batch going to be different?

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Coffey going behind the bench. The old boys club still alive and well.

They go out and hire McDavid's coach from junior. 

So the team finally wins a game and they fire the coach and replace him with OBC (Old Boys Club).

If McD's injury is impacting Craisaitl, abbility to score, and the only scoring happens off his passes, then the problem is you built a one line team and have overspent on so called depth to play with him.  Woody didn't make the team, he made them try to play as a team.  I don't think he's good or bad, just the guys there can't seem to execute.

Not often do you fire a coach with a tilted win/loss record like he had.  Before McD's injury, he looked normal.  Now he looks like an everyday player that is struggling.  Again, not so much a coaching issue.  Every player on that team that got a big payday played with McD on the PP when they got career numbers.  Hyman excepted since he was paid to play with McD.  The rest like Nurse and Bouchard and Kane and Nuge were rewarded for being part of a passing play resulting in PP goals.  

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So the team finally wins a game and they fire the coach and replace him with OBC (Old Boys Club).

If McD's injury is impacting Craisaitl, abbility to score, and the only scoring happens off his passes, then the problem is you built a one line team and have overspent on so called depth to play with him.  Woody didn't make the team, he made them try to play as a team.  I don't think he's good or bad, just the guys there can't seem to execute.

Not often do you fire a coach with a tilted win/loss record like he had.  Before McD's injury, he looked normal.  Now he looks like an everyday player that is struggling.  Again, not so much a coaching issue.  Every player on that team that got a big payday played with McD on the PP when they got career numbers.  Hyman excepted since he was paid to play with McD.  The rest like Nurse and Bouchard and Kane and Nuge were rewarded for being part of a passing play resulting in PP goals.  

I am confused with the hire.

Coach Knob had success with stacked junior teams. His AHL record isn't amazing.

It's more pandering to McD.

- hire his jr coach

- hire his agent

- sign his buddy Connor Brown

- over pay to keep his buddy Nurse

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Interesting. Wasn't Bill Peters punted for old news racial slurs?

He wasn't punted per se.  He quit before the Flames decided it was a firing offence.  But, yes it's a double standard.  Babs punted. Q punted. Coffee hired and placed.  EDM is the biggest OBC team remaining in the NHL.  CHI still has issues but seems to escape criticism more than other teams.  

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I am confused with the hire.

Coach Knob had success with stacked junior teams. His AHL record isn't amazing.

It's more pandering to McD.

- hire his jr coach

- hire his agent

- sign his buddy Connor Brown

- over pay to keep his buddy Nurse

Gone from Woody to Knob.

How much until it becomes a problem.  I get that he is clearly the best part of the team, but he still has to be part of the team and not management.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cross16 said:

Oilers going full court press to keep McDavid. Which isn’t surprising given I think it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t want to stay. 

Definitely looks like Holland will be gone. No doubt in my mind he would not make these moves. But now he gets to tell his GM buddies that he's toothless.

That can't be good. Should have just fired him. I figured he would find a way to bring in a hard coach. I suddenly feel bad for him. Let Katz and Lowe run the team. What now when they get seriously out-coached?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Definitely looks like Holland will be gone. No doubt in my mind he would not make these moves. But now he gets to tell his GM buddies that he's toothless.

That can't be good. Should have just fired him. I figured he would find a way to bring in a hard coach. I suddenly feel bad for him. Let Katz and Lowe run the team. What now when they get seriously out-coached?

I wouldn't feel bad for him he was brought into a mess and will leave it a mess no matter what. I don't think Katz even cares or pays attention much for that matter unless it pushes more powder up his nose.  Lowe on the other hand lmao, "Must be something in the water"! Quoted by "Nicholson". Maybe they need a new water treatment plant lol.

All kidding aside, I feel the Oilers will rebound and we will be looking above them in the standing soon unless we get our own backyard mess cleaned up.  (I hope to be wrong) but a healthy Mclottoball will get the PP goals up and help them win games "the only way they typically can".

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/things-to-think-about-while-the-edmonton-olers-gasp-for-air

20 hours ago, cross16 said:

Oilers going full court press to keep McDavid. Which isn’t surprising given I think it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t want to stay. 

Winning is the best way to keep McDavid long term.  But since that's not going to happen, it's time for plan B.  Hire everyone around McDavid.

Calvin Pickard will make his Oilers' debut on Monday vs. Florida.Pickard has 116 NHL games under his belt but will receive his first start at the NHL level since the 2021-22 season when he was a member of the Detroit Red Wings. Jack Campbell's reassignment earlier this month triggered Pickard's call-up from Bakersfield (AHL), where he posted a sensational 2.03 GAA and .939 SV% in four games (2-2-0). Pickard will have his work cut out for him in his return to NHL action as the Oilers face off against a Florida Panthers team that has won six of their past seven contests (6-1-0).Source: Mark Spector

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

Calvin Pickard will make his Oilers' debut on Monday vs. Florida.Pickard has 116 NHL games under his belt but will receive his first start at the NHL level since the 2021-22 season when he was a member of the Detroit Red Wings. Jack Campbell's reassignment earlier this month triggered Pickard's call-up from Bakersfield (AHL), where he posted a sensational 2.03 GAA and .939 SV% in four games (2-2-0). Pickard will have his work cut out for him in his return to NHL action as the Oilers face off against a Florida Panthers team that has won six of their past seven contests (6-1-0).Source: Mark Spector

Honestly, could he be any worse?  Skinner looks good but gets burned too easily.

I can't tell how bad he is because the team plays zero defense.

Cassie was trashing the Oilers for their pooe D-play.  She said good thing they fired the coach cuz he was the problem.  LOL.  She made the same points that have been said every game this season.  They don't think protect the house.  They go for skates.

ANyway, they lose to FLA with Bennett putting the dagger in.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:08 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

E. Kane says they had a good practice and that they are only 7 games behind a playoff spot..... ???

So 10 days ago I mentioned they(E. Kane) said they were 7 points behind a playoff spot.

10 days later, a coaching change, all those good practices and they are now only 8 points behind. They need something like .625 win avg to make it now.......

Oh and American Thankgiving is this Thursday.  If you know you know...

It really gets tiring watching Cdn media and fans completely skewer individual players. Sucking at D seems to = completely blasting individual players. It’s so Blockchaining toxic. Then cry when players want out/fill NTCs with CDN teams.

Then they cry about that too and are unapologetic when, as usual, they were wrong. Just find a new whipping boy and never, ever relent. Open season, all season due to misplaced arrogance regarding hockey matters.

Don’t get me started on Markstrom and Huberdeau…fans/media will always end up with what they deserve.

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It really gets tiring watching Cdn media and fans completely skewer individual players. Sucking at D seems to = completely blasting individual players. It’s so Blockchaining toxic. Then cry when players want out/fill NTCs with CDN teams.

Then they cry about that too and are unapologetic when, as usual, they were wrong. Just find a new whipping boy and never, ever relent. Open season, all season due to misplaced arrogance regarding hockey matters.

Don’t get me started on Markstrom and Huberdeau…fans/media will always end up with what they deserve.

They keyed in on Bouch.  He's a symptom of the entire team.  They use their top player on the PK so that he can cheat to offense.  I can't imagine how they beat us.  I guess we were really struggling then, but it was a pond hockey game so doesn't mean a lot.  The latest commentary is that they move Bouch to 3rd pairing and only give him PP, while giving him preferred starts otherwise.  That's fine, but it means the other guys that can't execute will be given that responsibility.  Nurse?  Brobourg?  I like Ekholm, but he's a fish out of water there.  

The new coach is going to find it tough to break the culture of spoiled players there.  Perhaps the C just needs to shut up and let the coach run the room.  Agree with everything he says and do what he says.  Goaltending is the least of the worries right now.