Oilers

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I like Evan Bouchard a lot and he's blossoming quite a bit for them. He's got some defensive issues but he's a modern day dman whose gonna have a breakout year. 

The Nurse contract is the killer as are the goalies but it's really down to the fact that they just cannot draft at all. Cap system requires that waive of talent but if your going to be top heavy you really need those ELC contracts and Oilers have literally had almost no one come in and provide them any value. So they have to go and sign those vet minimums deals to guys past their prime. 

Incredible level of incompetency from their hockey ops.  

Drafting without a doubt.   But don't forget basic hockey operations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oilers+concussion

I'm not as big a fan of the player.  He's been with the Oilers for years now and plays a major role in the top pair.  The only reason why he isn't a total tire fire on defense is Ekholm covers for him.  Gregor is pretty critical in that EB never faces accountability.  His ice time is top 3 on the team.  He could be out for multiple goals against where a bad pinch lead to a goal, yet he never even misses a shift to walk through coaching ideas.

He's right up there with Nurse, who he basically replaced on the PP.

There are two first round picks that could have drastically altered the fortunes of the Oilers.

2019- they took Broberg 8th overall. That was a stacked year for the USNTDP. They passed on Zegras, Boldy and Caufield. Broberg has her to establish himself as an NHLer.

2021- they took Bourgault 21st. Still too early to tell whether or not that was a good pick. The issue is they traded down with Minnesota. The Wild selected Jesper Wallstedt. Not saying Wallstedt would be helping the Oilers right now, but it was known at the time, they needed help In net. They still do and they passed on an elite G prospect

Then you factor in they’ve gotten almost nothing out of their picks aside from first rounders. Skinner and McLeod.

20 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There are two first round picks that could have drastically altered the fortunes of the Oilers.

2019- they took Broberg 8th overall. That was a stacked year for the USNTDP. They passed on Zegras, Boldy and Caufield. Broberg has her to establish himself as an NHLer.

2021- they took Bourgault 21st. Still too early to tell whether or not that was a good pick. The issue is they traded down with Minnesota. The Wild selected Jesper Wallstedt. Not saying Wallstedt would be helping the Oilers right now, but it was known at the time, they needed help In net. They still do and they passed on an elite G prospect

Then you factor in they’ve gotten almost nothing out of their picks aside from first rounders. Skinner and McLeod.

Add in Wyatt Johnston goes right after.  I'd add Holloway in 2020 as a pick they could've done better on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

McDavid won't be going anywhere...

92bceee7227b6a5f5b9801460dcfcd19.png
https://gyazo.com/92bceee7227b6a5f5b9801460dcfcd19

As much as his former agent (and company) would hold a special place in his heart, you have to think that at some point 14M here or there might not matter to him.  He would get love anywhere he goes.  Holland may be on his way out soon (doubt it with the old boys club) so a new GM might not give as much consultation with McD for the team.  So far, it hasn't helped them with his advice.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

McDavid won't be going anywhere...

92bceee7227b6a5f5b9801460dcfcd19.png
https://gyazo.com/92bceee7227b6a5f5b9801460dcfcd19

A gimmicky way to keep McDavid long term.  Let's see if it works.  The key is to extend Draisailt this summer.

And I mean, Ovechkin and the Caps showed everyone how it's done.  Whole team plays team D and try to win 1-0.  OV was the only player given the green light to do whatever he wants.  And it worked.

For some reason the Oilers try to run and gun 4 lines.  Maybe Jeff Jackson can straighten them out but I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid has had enough and wants to try his luck elsewhere.

On 11/7/2023 at 2:19 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

And the best part about all of this, is those picks were bad when they made them. Can't hit 100% of the time at the draft but what hilarious about the Oilers is they make bad picks in the moment and they turn out like you expect. I too would include Halloway in that who i thought was a reach. Imagine Dawson Mercer with McDavid/Draisaitl. 

Just bad scouting. Really surprised so little has been done to correct it too as it's been the case for a decade

I'm skeptical that hiring his agent as CEO is going to sway McDavid. I think he cares more about the city he has to live in, his financial future, and winning more than "I have a good relationship with the CEO". 

Can the CEO impact enough change in less than 3 years to convince him the Oilers are the best team he can win with? Can the CEO make up for the fact that McDavid likely makes more money in a bigger market? 

I think that's what it will come down to. Possible, if he fires Holland and overhauls their hockey ops, but the clock is ticking. 

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Edmonton gonna be looking for a new coach tomorrow? And they need a GM next year 

2-9-1. Tied for last in the league. 8 back of the WC.

They’re in big trouble.

To be fair, by virtue of games played they are 2nd last.

Sharks on a 2 game heater.

Oilers on a 4 game cooler.

If McD is not 100%, then what's the problem with the rest of the team?

Kane is lost.

Draisaitl can't hit the net and was on a 7 game goaless drought.

Can he only score when he plays with McD?

McD on a 7 games goaless drought.

There’s no way McDavid is 100%.

This is the least effective he’s looked as an NHLer. He’s still better than most players, but that whole operation is built around him as the best in the world.

Feels like they rushed him back to play in the

Heritage Classic. Can’t remember the exact timeline, but it was something like 1-2 weeks. He was out for 6 days.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There’s no way McDavid is 100%.

This is the least effective he’s looked as an NHLer. He’s still better than most players, but that whole operation is built around him as the best in the world.

Feels like they rushed him back to play in the

Heritage Classic. Can’t remember the exact timeline, but it was something like 1-2 weeks. He was out for 6 days.

He was playing the outdoor game even if he was on crutches.  His choice.  He says he is healthy...enough.  So, I doubt trainers or team doctors are going to overrule him.  I watched his board play and it didn't seem like he was favoring anything.  His speed looked fine.  So whatever it is, it's impacting his shot or passing more than anything.

But regardless, they played without him before and looked fine before.  Not this year.  Skinner wasn't the problem last night.  Of the 18 shots he faces, about a third were HD if not more.  The goals scored were team lapses.  They blamed Campbell for the losses before.  A better set of goalies would help, but it would be like us earlier in the season.  Good goalie in from of bad play.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He was playing the outdoor game even if he was on crutches.  His choice.  He says he is healthy...enough.  So, I doubt trainers or team doctors are going to overrule him.  I watched his board play and it didn't seem like he was favoring anything.  His speed looked fine.  So whatever it is, it's impacting his shot or passing more than anything.

But regardless, they played without him before and looked fine before.  Not this year.  Skinner wasn't the problem last night.  Of the 18 shots he faces, about a third were HD if not more.  The goals scored were team lapses.  They blamed Campbell for the losses before.  A better set of goalies would help, but it would be like us earlier in the season.  Good goalie in from of bad play.

Yeah can’t really fault Skinner for any of the goals. First one, they left a man wide open in the slot. Second, was a bad bounce. The GWG was Ryan Carpenter out working Nurse to give them the odd man.

The issue is, neither guy has made any big saves. Any breakdown ends up in the net.

Its gonna take a major turnaround for them to even be in the mix.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yeah can’t really fault Skinner for any of the goals. First one, they left a man wide open in the slot. Second, was a bad bounce. The GWG was Ryan Carpenter out working Nurse to give them the odd man.

The issue is, neither guy has made any big saves. Any breakdown ends up in the net.

Its gonna take a major turnaround for them to even be in the mix.

Personally I thought both both went of lucky streaks last year and weren't deserving of praise.  Skinner a Calder finalist?  Or was it Vezna?  Give me a break.  They weren't the reason why they made the playoffs and they aren't the reason why they are 2-9-1 today.  Not entirely.  Soup has lost any confidence he ever had.  

Let's just face it.  They suck.

43 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is it just me or NHL hasn't updated the Sharks win against the Oilers?

Screenshot_2023-11-10-11-47-58-68_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I read it wrong.  Tied with Zadina and the Sharks.  I read it as points by the player.  My brain deleted some words when I read it, but other than being a Sharks player, what does Zadina have to do with the comp?  

It's fun to watch from a far but I do think your going to see them turn it around and go on a run soon. They 100% have issues with how their team is built but at he same time this is more of a slump than some kind of reckoning. I've watched a few periods and they are not playing terrible hockey right now, just not getting the quality offense you'd expect out of their forwards but part of it is bad luck too.  There just a defeated team right now.

They'll get it going and I still think they'll find a way into the playoffs but massive holes are there and I think those who tried to argue they weren't are getting exposed right now.