Oilers

11 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Been Announced Trent Yawney and Glen Gulutzan Have both been added To Oilers As Assistant Coaches They Feel GG and help with the pp

Funny thing here is even though we let GG go, the Oiler fans will view this as a "capture or steal" from the Flames.. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Could be totally bogus information, but I read elsewhere that Chia wanted to move Lucic and demanded a core piece with no salary retention. Someone should remind him that pot isn't legal until October.

Looch's agent denied that his player has even asked or been asked about a trade.

Considering that he has a NMC, there's no point on talking trades without his agreement.

The Oil have 10m in cap as of today with 10F, 5D and 3G signed.

Strome and Nurse have been qualified.

Strome will get at least $3m per year on his next deal.

Nurse will want more than 2 on a bridge deal or 4+ on a longer term deal.  Suspect he holds out for a long term deal.

Leaves them less than 5m to fill up on 2-3 forwards and 1D.

And yet they seem to be talking to every free agent.

I decided to snoop on their board. The hopeless feeling I read is @ least as bad as when they realized Hall, Eberle, RNH & Schultz didn't = Gretzky, Kurri, Messier & Coffey.

They now have 1 superstar (Gretz couldn't do it alone in LA but had a better supporting cast than McDavid), Draisaitl & RNH without a supporting cast up front. The D is a bunch of decent 3/4s without a 1/2 in sight. A year ago Talbot was a good (not great) goalie but they rode him too hard & probably ruined him (like so many players before) unless he fnds people to work with him to salvage his career like Dubnyk did. Step 1:get away from that poison environment.

After seeing so many players ruined there I feel bad for their draft picks. The early 1s like Hall came in with stars in their eyes but now you see disappointment. Poor kids are thinking "why couldn't I have been picked #11 or 12 instead of 10.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I decided to snoop on their board. The hopeless feeling I read is @ least as bad as when they realized Hall, Eberle, RNH & Schultz didn't = Gretzky, Kurri, Messier & Coffey.

They now have 1 superstar (Gretz couldn't do it alone in LA but had a better supporting cast than McDavid), Draisaitl & RNH without a supporting cast up front. The D is a bunch of decent 3/4s without a 1/2 in sight. A year ago Talbot was a good (not great) goalie but they rode him too hard & probably ruined him (like so many players before) unless he fnds people to work with him to salvage his career like Dubnyk did. Step 1:get away from that poison environment.

After seeing so many players ruined there I feel bad for their draft picks. The early 1s like Hall came in with stars in their eyes but now you see disappointment. Poor kids are thinking "why couldn't I have been picked #11 or 12 instead of 10.

Oh boy. After reading your post above and TD's post regarding their limited cap space, I decided to go over there myself. Optimistic is not a word I would use to characterize their board. How can they be so cash strapped after shipping out all of those high picks!? They only have McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH left. Lucic is struggling, Puljujarvi and Slepyshev are not exactly super stars. That club looks to be in ruins.

McDavid is a truly great player, but he sure eats up a lot of cap space. Chicago made that work for a bit and Pittsburgh have done well with one player eating up that much. I would rather have more second tier players myself. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Oh boy. After reading your post above and TD's post regarding their limited cap space, I decided to go over there myself. Optimistic is not a word I would use to characterize their board. How can they be so cash strapped after shipping out all of those high picks!? They only have McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH left. Lucic is struggling, Puljujarvi and Slepyshev are not exactly super stars. That club looks to be in ruins.

McDavid is a truly great player, but he sure eats up a lot of cap space. Chicago made that work for a bit and Pittsburgh have done well with one player eating up that much. I would rather have more second tier players myself. 

You need balance. For instance a Gaudreau/Monahan pairing comes in @ roughly = to McDavid's cap hit next season. If RNH is used on his wing that will be 18.5 so the Flames can add a 5,5 winger & come in cheaper than the Oiler 1st line even if they use a $1 million scrub on the other wing.

For contrast the Jets top line of Scheifele/Wheeler/Connor came in @ 13.5 after allowing for Connor's bonuses. That'll be the cap hit for McDavid & the scrub never mind RNH.

Add overpays like Lucic (who they mistakenly think will turn things around & become tradable) & they have no chance of adding a supporting cast.

After Pronger demanded out in 2006 & was quickly followed by the rest of the good players Lowe got desperate enough to try to buy loyalty from players. OSing Penner @ 10 times his salary started them down a road of overpayments. That was followed by throwing rookies into the fire for lack of players & handing out $6 million 2nd contracts. Instead of those high picks attracting UFAs wanting to play with those #1 picks they had to overpay even the desperate leftovers to go to Edmonton.

When you build a culture of losing being OK you reap what you sow. I figure Buffalo will find they have the same problem. Traded iler players talk about how different practices are with their new team. In Buffalo players like RoR talk about losing the will to play since the organization doesn't want to win either. Adding Dahlin won't turn around that culture.

Examples like that are why I'm adamant about not using the tank for future gain model. It's worked for Pittsburgh twice but they invented & then perfected it. That's rare so other teams are better off with maintaining a mindset of winning & expecting players to buy in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

You need balance. For instance a Gaudreau/Monahan pairing comes in @ roughly = to McDavid's cap hit next season. If RNH is used on his wing that will be 18.5 so the Flames can add a 5,5 winger & come in cheaper than the Oiler 1st line even if they use a $1 million scrub on the other wing.

For contrast the Jets top line of Scheifele/Wheeler/Connor came in @ 13.5 after allowing for Connor's bonuses. That'll be the cap hit for McDavid & the scrub never mind RNH.

Add overpays like Lucic (who they mistakenly think will turn things around & become tradable) & they have no chance of adding a supporting cast.

After Pronger demanded out in 2006 & was quickly followed by the rest of the good players Lowe got desperate enough to try to buy loyalty from players. OSing Penner @ 10 times his salary started them down a road of overpayments. That was followed by throwing rookies into the fire for lack of players & handing out $6 million 2nd contracts. Instead of those high picks attracting UFAs wanting to play with those #1 picks they had to overpay even the desperate leftovers to go to Edmonton.

When you build a culture of losing being OK you reap what you sow. I figure Buffalo will find they have the same problem. Traded iler players talk about how different practices are with their new team. In Buffalo players like RoR talk about losing the will to play since the organization doesn't want to win either. Adding Dahlin won't turn around that culture.

Examples like that are why I'm adamant about not using the tank for future gain model. It's worked for Pittsburgh twice but they invented & then perfected it. That's rare so other teams are better off with maintaining a mindset of winning & expecting players to buy in.

All teams have their problems. Edmonton's almost seem impossible to fix. They better get things on track though because McDavid is unlikely to stay there losing forever.

11 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

All teams have their problems. Edmonton's almost seem impossible to fix. They better get things on track though because McDavid is unlikely to stay there losing forever.

That is the problem with offering max contracts to younger players who’ve not earned it. Some would say McDavid is the best so deserves it.

for me, it’s even hard to pay Kane and Toews because that’s what you get when guys are making too much.

Pits, they lucked out having great goaltending. There tandem allowed Fleury to rest and then allowed Murray too as well.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

That is the problem with offering max contracts to younger players who’ve not earned it. Some would say McDavid is the best so deserves it.

for me, it’s even hard to pay Kane and Toews because that’s what you get when guys are making too much.

Pits, they lucked out having great goaltending. There tandem allowed Fleury to rest and then allowed Murray too as well.

I suppose that there are different models of team structure. Vegas seems to roll relatively balanced lines/player talent whereas Chicago has a lot invested in just two players. Other teams seem to identify a core player and work around him. I kind of like the structure Treliving appears to be implementing. That is, have a top line, but spread out the rest of the talent over the other three lines. I find it interesting how Treliving seems to want two centres on every line for face-offs. Not a bad strategy given how they hand out penalties on the draw these days.

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it was a mistake to trade Hall and Eberle.  Need a number 1D, but trade for a 3/4 that provided little offence.

Need to shed cap, but take on a bad player that allows you to overpay on Russel.

Overpay for Lucic.

Have one good goalie and overplay him.

Pick the consensus #3 because you don't know how to scout anyone else.

Trade away good D that bring you back another pick to waste.

Trade picks for a D-man that can;t even make the NYI team.

I get PO'd when our GM's have made questionable calls, but at least we have not overpaid anyone important.

Gio and Mony = McDavid.

JOhnny and Bennett = Draisaitl

We get 4 players for the price of 2.  One has not earned a raise yet, but the others are tops on our team.  

Chia did some decent moves by signing Brodziak and Reider considering their cap issues. It's almost sad hearing Oil fans act as if these signings will magically tip their scale. There's a lot of hoping and "what if" scenarios they would need to return to the playoffs. Chia is banking on everyone having career years, looking at their depth chart it's going to take another miracle season for them to get back to the playoffs

• 5 weeks later...

Seth Rogen will be the voice of Vancouver Transit. Riders will hear him encourage passengers to be polite to one another. Edmonton, of course, chose Tommy Chong. I cannot think of a more fitting person to be the voice of Edmonton Transit. Well, maybe Andrew Dice Clay. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Edmonton was kind enough to lend us snow removal equipment during the last dump. I think that we should reciprocate by sending the Oilers our medical staff. Judging by how the Oilers are playing tonight and early on in the season, McLellan is going to lose a lot more weight. He is gonna need a medical doctor.

4 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Edmonton was kind enough to lend us snow removal equipment during the last dump. I think that we should reciprocate by sending the Oilers our medical staff. Judging by how the Oilers are playing tonight and early on in the season, McLellan is going to lose a lot more weight. He is gonna need a medical doctor.

But McDavid blowing by Chara.  Man, it wasn't even fair.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-already-facing-must-win-games-two-losses-open-season/sn-amp/

They are already talking about game 3 of the season being a "must win" for the Oilers.  But ya, if 0-3, then 0-4, and the season spirals out of control.  Talk about high pressure for a young team. 

(I hope they lose the next few in a row).

The Oilers missed an opportunity to clean house last summer. By saying they were comfortable with The Chia plan they made the hot seat for everyone that much warmer and imo have created an organization that's is too dysfunctional to win. 

Nightmare, and a nightmare that is basically 100% self inflicted. Oilers fans should be big fans of Jon Gruden because outside of the raiders I'm not sure there's is a worse run pro sports franchise then the Oilers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 5:43 PM, Cowtownguy said:

We already sent them GG. That is more than enough help......