Oilers

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

So..right now, we are Literally in a race with Edmonton for the top pick.   Don't see either of us getting it ahead of the Sharks, but as things stand now we are neck and neck.

So.  Seriously...with their roster, should they be getting a top pick right now?

Should it even be allowed?

There should be some kind of rule against this.   Any elite prospect imho would be crazy to put their jersey on.  They should pull a Lindros.  If Bettman doesn't do it first.   They should be barred from the top 10.  For a long time.

I think it's hilarious.

Craig Button said it best. They added Connor Brown and now they're a cup contender? He also counts as a 3.25 bonus overage next year, which will minimize some benefit of the cap going up.

They don't have good goaltending. Campbell isn't gonna make it through the duration of his contract. Buyout.

They're so reliant on McDavid. He's been very good, as usual, but not super-human. The result is 2-7-1. He may not even be 100% healthy.

Is Woodcroft gonna make it through the year?

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it's hilarious.

Craig Button said it best. They added Connor Brown and now they're a cup contender? He also counts as a 3.25 bonus overage next year, which will minimize some benefit of the cap going up.

They don't have good goaltending. Campbell isn't gonna make it through the duration of his contract. Buyout.

They're so reliant on McDavid. He's been very good, as usual, but not super-human. The result is 2-7-1. He may not even be 100% healthy.

I would say it's a talent issue and D coverage.  They have nothing after the 2nd line and have to double up McD and Drai to just get close to a win.  The D is pityfull.  They have nobody that knows how to defend other than Ekholm, but he has to babysit Bouchbaby.  Bouch the Douche?  Anyway, they have a smart PP but deficient PK.  Some games they barely can score at 5v5.  

When you listen to their coach, it's like listening to a coach talk about teaching kids.  Basic stuff that they don't get.  McD is going to have his back, so the coach won't get fired.  Perhaps the GM should get fired for bringing this team to this state.

On 11/4/2023 at 3:31 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it's hilarious.

All of it is hilarious except McDavid getting injured.   That I don't like.   And I do believe very strongly, even if I don't know, that they knowingly played him injured in the playoffs.  Same way they injured all the other 1st overalls before him.

That is one of the top reasons why I don't think they should be able to pick in the first round.   Play a generational player injured on purpose (on a team with no goalies or D to boot), and I personally think you should be docked a first rounder for the general harm being caused to not only the player but the game of hockey.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

All of it is hilarious except McDavid getting injured.   That I don't like.   And I do believe very strongly, even if I don't know, that they knowingly played him injured in the playoffs.  Same way they injured all the other 1st overalls before him.

That is one of the top reasons why I don't think they should be able to pick in the first round.   Play a generational player injured on purpose (on a team with no goalies or D to boot), and I personally think you should be docked a first rounder for the general harm being caused to not only the player but the game of hockey.

I still think they’re gonna figure it out. But they need to string some wins together soon.

If, by some chance this ends up being a lost season. I doubt they can get a Draisaitl extension done before the start of next year.

I feel that there is a fair chance that both McDavid and Draisaitl will leave the Oilers before or when their contracts expire.

If Edmonton is smart, they will trade Draisaitl (10 team trade clause) before his contract expires for as much as they can get.

McDavid has a NMC, but might agree to a trade if the Oilers continue to suck.

If Edmonton can trade both for a good return, they will be ahead of Calgary by 2026/2027 because the Flames most likely will not be able to rid themselves of the Huberdeau and Kadri contracts without giving away draft picks which would crater a rebuild.

On 11/4/2023 at 3:31 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it's hilarious.

I don't think it's his fault but I would sense he's basically game by game now. Missing the playoffs is just not an option for the Oilers and I think Woodcroft will take the fall for it. 

This is a roster construction issue, highlighted by bad goaltending because when you have terrible goaltending like the Oilers have it's almost impossible to be a good team. But there is only so much deeper of a hole you can dig before he has to do something and fire the coach is normally the first card in that deck. I could see Bruce Boudreau as an option there. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't think it's his fault but I would sense he's basically game by game now. Missing the playoffs is just not an option for the Oilers and I think Woodcroft will take the fall for it. 

This is a roster construction issue, highlighted by bad goaltending because when you have terrible goaltending like the Oilers have it's almost impossible to be a good team. But there is only so much deeper of a hole you can dig before he has to do something and fire the coach is normally the first card in that deck. I could see Bruce Boudreau as an option there. 

They fired MacLellan and temp hired Hitch.  Got the new coach bump for a few months.

I don't know that it's something a new coach can fix without dumping half the roster.

But, you may be correct in saying that a playoff miss is a firing offence.

That is some roster mess.  Two emergency player adds to reach 14F.

They just signed Gagner and sent down Erne.

Brown pointless in 10 games and now injured.

The D is a one way mess, except Ekholm.

Same problem with Huska.  When you don't have much to work with then that's the results you get.  It shows how well Sutter was able to take a bunch of average players to almost making the playoffs.

The Oilers are top heavy and overspend on depth.  It's a classic disaster scenario.  That said, McDavid is still the most talented player in the world so he can single handedly will the Oilers into the playoffs. It's not over yet for them unless McDavid is sidelined for surgery or something.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Same problem with Huska.  When you don't have much to work with then that's the results you get.  It shows how well Sutter was able to take a bunch of average players to almost making the playoffs.

The Oilers are top heavy and overspend on depth.  It's a classic disaster scenario.  That said, McDavid is still the most talented player in the world so he can single handedly will the Oilers into the playoffs. It's not over yet for them unless McDavid is sidelined for surgery or something.

I think that's the same problem the Flames have, only now they've overspent on the top and the depth. It's a bad combo if trying to make the playoffs. 

44 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think that's the same problem the Flames have, only now they've overspent on the top and the depth. It's a bad combo if trying to make the playoffs. 

I have some different takes with that statement.  We have 8 forwards over $2M, but only 4 are over $5M.  On D, we have one D making more than $5M.

It's a pretty typical construction.  Not really overspending on depth.  Our biggest expenses have to do with UFA signings or trades where we needed to lock up the new players.  As many people were worried about letting Huberdeau walk his contract to FA and potentially not sign.  Weegar was a reasonable cost.  Markstrom and Kadri were market costs, and really the worst thing is term. 

Where we really differ is contracts signed with drafted or long term players.  Draisaitl got $8.5M before he proved anything.  Nurse got over 9 when all he was offering was scoring.  They overspent early, and had to bargain shop to fill a roster.  The top 2 players basically have to play together or they lose games or one doesn't score enough.  Draisaitl will command over $12M by the time he hits FA years.  McD will get whatever the top % of the cap will allow.  There doesn't seem to be any others earning their money unless they play with the top 2. 

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have some different takes with that statement.  We have 8 forwards over $2M, but only 4 are over $5M.  On D, we have one D making more than $5M.

It's a pretty typical construction.  Not really overspending on depth.  Our biggest expenses have to do with UFA signings or trades where we needed to lock up the new players.  As many people were worried about letting Huberdeau walk his contract to FA and potentially not sign.  Weegar was a reasonable cost.  Markstrom and Kadri were market costs, and really the worst thing is term. 

Where we really differ is contracts signed with drafted or long term players.  Draisaitl got $8.5M before he proved anything.  Nurse got over 9 when all he was offering was scoring.  They overspent early, and had to bargain shop to fill a roster.  The top 2 players basically have to play together or they lose games or one doesn't score enough.  Draisaitl will command over $12M by the time he hits FA years.  McD will get whatever the top % of the cap will allow.  There doesn't seem to be any others earning their money unless they play with the top 2. 

Ya, and that BT. He typically likes to overspend at UFA. I want to say Coleman is overpriced by about $1.5M. But of course, I am probably wrong about that. You're right. it's not many. Although, I Mange is over-priced too. I haven't liked Dube, but that's just because I don't like the player. I want to, but he's always disappointing.

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, and that BT. He typically likes to overspend at UFA. I want to say Coleman is overpriced by about $1.5M. But of course, I am probably wrong about that. You're right. it's not many. Although, I Mange is over-priced too. I haven't liked Dube, but that's just because I don't like the player. I want to, but he's always disappointing.

I mean when you are talking about UFA's then you are limited in what you can lowball them with.  He was coming off a Cup win and he was worth it (to TBL at least) to spend a 1st on in trade.  Some of that was the low cost of his contract at the time.  He's about par with NJ and TBL output.  So I don't know how much he is overpaid.  Is he or are we just complaining beciase he doesn't score 30. 

Mange got what Mange's production looked like he should get.  We bought into it, thinking it was more than a one off.  Perhpas last year's injury ruined his season or perhaps he's at best a 20 goal guy.  35 gets you 5, but 20 gets you what?  4?  3?  Dunno.

Dube is getting the Bennett results.  At times they are the same player.  The middle 6 player getting 2M.  I am more concerned with his play this year than what he has done in the past.  In other words whether he earned that deal.  Next year will be tough if he doesn't have a contract year set of numbers.  But really it doesn't matter to Flames beciase he gets arbitration if he does little to earn a big raise.  

I actually would not argue the Oilers overspent on depth. They only have 5 forward on the roster making over 3 million. McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Kane and RNH. I don't think 1 of those guys is overpaid (in terms of AAV). Foregele and McLeod are decent value at 2.7 and 2.1 accordingly. 

The Oilers make 3 massive errors that are sinking their cap. Milan Lucic (turned into James Neal and a 2 mil dead cap hit), Darnell Nurse and Jack Campbell.  I don't view that as overspending on depth, it's just miscalculation of player value and talent. 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

McDavid looks hurt and frustrated.  This is a situation where Nurse or an enforcer needs to step up and send the league a message.  Otherwise, cheapshots on McDavid will keep happening because it seems to be an effective strategy to throw McDavid off his game with no repercussions.

He's frustrated and it showed in him lashing out.  Maybe he was targeted, maybe he hates losing.  He's putting himself in situations where he's battling one on one.  Every player gets cheap shots.  

But, I think he was so keen on playing the BOA game that he decided he would play regardless of health concerns.  I suspect he is something like Monahan was in one of his many injuries.  Can't take faceoffs, so I will play with a C that wins draws.  Every hit is gonna take a toll and every player in the league knows about it.  Some respect him more than their desire to win, so they may back off.  The league is better with him than without him, so I get that some may pull punches.  But if McD hacks you or x-checks you, I think you are not going to look at the name on the back.  

What I saw last night was a lost team.  The calls weren't one-sided so there shouldn't be any excuses.  The F didn't come back fast enough, the D didn't defend well and the first couple of goals looked bad.  2 goals on 5 shots, but let's be real.  Up 19-2 in shots and you let a team walk in and score twice in 5 shots.  In one period.  

And I am starting to think that the coach will pay the price for this team.  GM should take most of the blame but he won't.

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

I actually would not argue the Oilers overspent on depth. They only have 5 forward on the roster making over 3 million. McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Kane and RNH. I don't think 1 of those guys is overpaid (in terms of AAV). Foregele and McLeod are decent value at 2.7 and 2.1 accordingly. 

The Oilers make 3 massive errors that are sinking their cap. Milan Lucic (turned into James Neal and a 2 mil dead cap hit), Darnell Nurse and Jack Campbell.  I don't view that as overspending on depth, it's just miscalculation of player value and talent. 

Trues enough.  It's really just Nurse being paid about $4-mill too much.  And they are not getting even $1-mil performance out of their $1-mil players.  Poor talent evaluation.  Also targetted the wrong goalies and wrong D.  Ekholm is the only legit blue liner they have.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's frustrated and it showed in him lashing out.  Maybe he was targeted, maybe he hates losing.  He's putting himself in situations where he's battling one on one.  Every player gets cheap shots.  

But, I think he was so keen on playing the BOA game that he decided he would play regardless of health concerns.  I suspect he is something like Monahan was in one of his many injuries.  Can't take faceoffs, so I will play with a C that wins draws.  Every hit is gonna take a toll and every player in the league knows about it.  Some respect him more than their desire to win, so they may back off.  The league is better with him than without him, so I get that some may pull punches.  But if McD hacks you or x-checks you, I think you are not going to look at the name on the back.  

What I saw last night was a lost team.  The calls weren't one-sided so there shouldn't be any excuses.  The F didn't come back fast enough, the D didn't defend well and the first couple of goals looked bad.  2 goals on 5 shots, but let's be real.  Up 19-2 in shots and you let a team walk in and score twice in 5 shots.  In one period.  

And I am starting to think that the coach will pay the price for this team.  GM should take most of the blame but he won't.

I am all for players healing their injuries. I played with a high ankle sprain where I couldn't walk properly for nearly 3 months. It was playoffs, so I get it. But I am older now, and I don't feel the repercussions yet, but listening to players like Kesler's stories, makes me question it. My brother is an addict, so it's hard hearing about players getting addicted to pain relievers. I just don't think it's good for players. And we will easily condemn a player for dwindling their careers and their money with more roots to the cause not taken into account. 

I think Crosby did it right. But I bet he plays through stuff, as do many.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

JT Miller popped McDavid pretty good when McDavid tried to toe drag to the front of the net.  But perfect hit.  Didn't target McDavid's head.  And things seemed to get out of hand after that.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

JT Miller popped McDavid pretty good when McDavid tried to toe drag to the front of the net.  But perfect hit.  Didn't target McDavid's head.  And things seemed to get out of hand after that.

Solid hits from both sides.  There was an uncalled pick by McD earlier that PO'd the player.  Can't remember who it was.  Homer announcers suggested McD didn't pick, that he simply stood his ground and got skated into.  Not specific to him, but I would like to see our D not let a guy waltz to the net.  Make him pay the way we have to for going there.

I thought DiGuseppi (sp) did the right thing in separating the two.  Hyman decided it was time to "even" the score.  Anyway, I think it's two teams that don't like each other.  When one team is 2nd and the other is 2nd last, you know things are going to boil over.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trues enough.  It's really just Nurse being paid about $4-mill too much.  And they are not getting even $1-mil performance out of their $1-mil players.  Poor talent evaluation.  Also targetted the wrong goalies and wrong D.  Ekholm is the only legit blue liner they have.

I like Evan Bouchard a lot and he's blossoming quite a bit for them. He's got some defensive issues but he's a modern day dman whose gonna have a breakout year. 

The Nurse contract is the killer as are the goalies but it's really down to the fact that they just cannot draft at all. Cap system requires that waive of talent but if your going to be top heavy you really need those ELC contracts and Oilers have literally had almost no one come in and provide them any value. So they have to go and sign those vet minimums deals to guys past their prime. 

Incredible level of incompetency from their hockey ops.  

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think it's very hard to say they aren't missing fundamental knowledge in their decision making processes.

I mean they are literally going for Kane right now.

Like that's the missing piece and goal/D are good to go.