Oilers

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2022/12/top-oilers-prospect-linked-to-canadiens.html?m=1

wow!!! 

what if Monahan ends up in Oil Stained Jerseys?

The Oiler blogosphere has other crazy ideas.

Erik Karlsson.

The Oilers have $10M available cap next season.

10F, 5D and 1G signed with that little remaining.

This year they are close to max LTIR used.

The Karlsson rumor was Barrie and Pooly for Karlsson with money retained.

Slightly sideways trade for offence, losing a top 9 F as well.

And they have zero depth beyond the 2nd line.

They need a shutdown D and scoring forwards, but go ahead...

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

In hindsight, a better GM might not have sunk us in such a drunken stupor cap hole that we were actually justifying giving away first rounders for cap space.   And might have either traded Mony much, much sooner for a good return, or held on and worked with him through his issues.  Maybe done a yearly MRI.

But ..yeah..lol.

You wold know better than me if Lucic would have been a better desperation move.   Organization should have bought Lucic out if they actually cared about winning.   Was their mistake to begin with and there are paying fans.

Almost zero point in buying out Lucic other than creating a vacant spot.  No cap savings.  Doesn't help other than sink us for two years.  Neal was the problem, where scouting identified him as a viable target.  Very few of the trades have worked out recently; Lucic, Jarnkrok, Carpenter, Lazar to name a few.  

I don't have a problem with Kadri or Huberdeau or Weegar.  Rooney was before the Tkachuk situation was an issue.  Other than him, we are paying the cost it takes to play here.  Kadri went for less than was expected.  But that doesn't absolve him for keeping Lucic.  At worst Monahan would be on IR for part of the the season again and we have a real player as opposed to Lucic.  At best, we have a Backlund level player that we can re-sign next season.

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

@travel_dude

I just realized we are posting in the Oilers thread and edited my comments appropriately so as to remain on topic.

Oilers suck.  Need McPoints to score on the McPowerplay.

Puljujarvi is getting to the point of giving up.

Yet, he is no less a hockey player than little Yamamoto.

Who needs defense other than to score a goal.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

it wouldn’t have cleared enough space to sign Kadri and it would not have opened up the position. 
to sign Kadri Monahan had to go. 

$600k difference.

If we had any desire to trade Lucic, then we don't need to sign Lewis.

Just saying.

It was probably next to impossible to trade Lucic, but who knows.

There was no suggestion of it.

20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Oilers suck.  Need McPoints to score on the McPowerplay.

Puljujarvi is getting to the point of giving up.

Yet, he is no less a hockey player than little Yamamoto.

Who needs defense other than to score a goal.

I had wrongly assumed that they would be regular season wonders and playoff flops this year.

Seems they can't do regular season either.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

$600k difference.

If we had any desire to trade Lucic, then we don't need to sign Lewis.

Just saying.

It was probably next to impossible to trade Lucic, but who knows.

There was no suggestion of it.

there were actually several rumors they were looking at it and I actually heard they had a taker. Not sure if it fell apart but I do know that to sign Kadri to the deal he did Monahan had to go. 

Good thing the suckage continues up north.

Oilers lose to Ducks with their new starter (Skinner) on 17 shots from the Ducks.

They had 49 but many of those were 3 or 4 on the same initial shot.

How do you lose 4-3 when you have 49 shots and 6 powerplays.

And yes, all but one of their goals scored on the PP

Oilers give Skinner essentially the Vladar deal. I actually like this for the Oilers as I like Skinner but it's hilarious they are now are paying their backup, who honestly should have been their starter this year I thought, half as much as their starter and he's out playing him. 

Will never get tired of the Oilers shooting themselves in the foot with bad personnel mistakes. 

Worth noting McDavid recorded 33 PP points that season and already has 34 this season.  He was +3 that season and is currently +3.  In 2019 you could essentially say they were a team carried by McDavid and Draisatl, nowadays they are only carried by them when the other team is minus 1 or 2.  5 on 4 they are like the Harlem Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals, 5 on 5 they are like the Harlem Globetrotters playing an actual NBA team and yes that includes when the big 2 are on the ice.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Worth noting McDavid recorded 33 PP points that season and already has 34 this season.  He was +3 that season and is currently +3.  In 2019 you could essentially say they were a team carried by McDavid and Draisatl, nowadays they are only carried by them when the other team is minus 1 or 2.  5 on 4 they are like the Harlem Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals, 5 on 5 they are like the Harlem Globetrotters playing an actual NBA team and yes that includes when the big 2 are on the ice.

Yeah, that's a pretty good description.  I would boil it down to the Oiler can only win when they get at least 2 PP's in a game and almost always lose when the whistles are put away.  

Like Oilers need more offence lmao, the greasers will continue to be a one trick pony with only power play goals to win games. 5 on 5 they are a horrific team.

One injury away from being a complete disaster not that I wish that but its inevitable.

Until they get serious and look at defense they will be a bubble team. I cant wait until either Mclottoball or Draisaitl ask to be traded, its not the team I loathe but merely their whiney bandwagon fans. When they win they see Stanley, when they lose a game the sky is falling lol.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Who do you think the Oilers will lose to in the first round?

Or does that belong in the golf section

Do we have a Suckage thread?

Really it doesn't matter who they play should they make the playoffs.

I am surprised they are winning games right now.

Big winning streak, McD with 92 points including 46 PP points, and $9M of cap relief used to ice a team.

4 forwards with > 60 points and the next highest poinst by a forward is 15.

$32M buys you 118 goals.