Oilers

I keep tabs on Oilers just because they are close by and annoying AF.

When Smith came back and dropped the ball, the fans were freaking out.

Koskinen was 1st shot in trash.

They beat WAS in a B2B for WAS, against their B goalie.

They beat Tampa in Tampa's 1st of a B2B with Elliott in nets.

7 PP's for them.

All of a sudden, they are in the hunt for the playoffs.

Goaltending is fine again.

I never thought Koskinen was that bad nor that good.

They still have Smith and still play loose defensive hockey.

Should get in the playoffs due to an easy March and April schedule.

Not built for the playoffs.

Less of one this year than last.

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I keep tabs on Oilers just because they are close by and annoying AF.

When Smith came back and dropped the ball, the fans were freaking out.

Koskinen was 1st shot in trash.

They beat WAS in a B2B for WAS, against their B goalie.

They beat Tampa in Tampa's 1st of a B2B with Elliott in nets.

7 PP's for them.

All of a sudden, they are in the hunt for the playoffs.

Goaltending is fine again.

I never thought Koskinen was that bad nor that good.

They still have Smith and still play loose defensive hockey.

Should get in the playoffs due to an easy March and April schedule.

Not built for the playoffs.

Less of one this year than last.

I am torn because I want the Oilers to miss the playoffs but I also want the VGK to miss because they stole Eichel from us.  The Canucks need to keep winning.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I am torn because I want the Oilers to miss the playoffs but I also want the VGK to miss because they stole Eichel from us.  The Canucks need to keep winning.

It's possible that both Vegas and EDM will miss getting in.

Dallas is right there for a WC spot, so one of the three teams needs will get in from the Pacific.

Anaheim will drop off, but then will play "we don't care" hockey.

21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

i don’t want to face the Canucks If they get into a WC spot that goes against us.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i don’t want to face the Canucks If they get into a WC spot that goes against us.

Really there is no ideal team to play against in the WC2 spot.

Dallas, Vegas, EDM, VAN, NAS, MIN.....

I think VAN would have trouble winning more than 2 games against us.  Demko can stand on his head for maybe a game or two, in VAN.  I doubt we see something resembling the loss like the 7-1 game we endured.  But the point is I hate to have a win over VAN as possibly the only win in the playoffs.  

Really though, EDM is not set up to win any rounds.  Doubt they would beat any team other than VAN, and that is questionable.  LA is a scary team, but I think we can get them.  NAS or MIN would be tough, but again we can beat them.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Really there is no ideal team to play against in the WC2 spot.

Dallas, Vegas, EDM, VAN, NAS, MIN.....

I think VAN would have trouble winning more than 2 games against us.  Demko can stand on his head for maybe a game or two, in VAN.  I doubt we see something resembling the loss like the 7-1 game we endured.  But the point is I hate to have a win over VAN as possibly the only win in the playoffs.  

Really though, EDM is not set up to win any rounds.  Doubt they would beat any team other than VAN, and that is questionable.  LA is a scary team, but I think we can get them.  NAS or MIN would be tough, but again we can beat them.

Demko has our number for some reason.  I don't want to face any team who has a stud goaltender.  Too risky. 

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Demko has our number for some reason.  I don't want to face any team who has a stud goaltender.  Too risky. 

im with you! 

not to say it’s about Markstrom but Demko probably also wants to prove Vancouver made the right choice. Games I didn’t like recently have been the few against Demko and then the game that Kuemper was on and shut the door. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

im with you! 

not to say it’s about Markstrom but Demko probably also wants to prove Vancouver made the right choice. Games I didn’t like recently have been the few against Demko and then the game that Kuemper was on and shut the door. 

That VAN games was just bad alround.  Marky loses a blade and they throw Vladar in cold.  Defense sucked.  Again, that game in COL was a 1-0 game for intents and purposes.  Fell off when they lost their legs.  No excuses but the reason was 90 games in 3 nights.

It's a lot different playing one game here or there than a series.  VAN would get lit up.  Not that it matters, since COL would get them at best.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That VAN games was just bad alround.  Marky loses a blade and they throw Vladar in cold.  Defense sucked.  Again, that game in COL was a 1-0 game for intents and purposes.  Fell off when they lost their legs.  No excuses but the reason was 90 games in 3 nights.

It's a lot different playing one game here or there than a series.  VAN would get lit up.  Not that it matters, since COL would get them at best.

they also only beat them 1-0 in OT the previous game they played them, didn’t they?

in the last two against them. We scored 2 or 3 goals.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

they also only beat them 1-0 in OT the previous game they played them, didn’t they?

in the last two against them. We scored 2 or 3 goals.

2 games a month apart.  That was the point, not a 7 game series.  First game a goalie battle, nnext one we spent the entire game in the box.  34 minutes vs 2 minutes.  I would not say we made anything difficult for Demko in the 2nd game.  

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Wanting a piggyback ride?

Interesting they didn't call that at all.  

Kane got 3 penalties in a row.

1:38 Interference

4:32 Tripping

6:47 Tripping

The way I read it was his next shift after each penalty was a penalty.

An this is a team that almost never gets called for it's BS play.

The good thing for EDM is that a win over the weakest team on that team's 2nd in two days, is considered to be erasing all memory of the debacle they call the BOA.  Suddenly, they eliminated all the issues and got great goaltending.  Problem solved.  They have a pretty easy path to the playoffs from here on in.  Cushy schedule.  1 B2B remaining.  

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

They had me with their, "Oilers sign Jimmy Howard" April Fool's post.

Amazingly, it wouldn't have surprised me...

The other one I saw was "Ken Holland hires Dave Tippett.".  Too easy to see through that, and got even more dumb when it went on to say that Paul Coffey.

I see they played STL last night, and were due to get less than adequate Binnington, which meant we would get Husso.  Wonderful.  As it turned out, Binnington didn't even finish the first period, giving up 4 goals on 13 shots.  Husso gave up one after they had got it to 4-3.  STL battled back and tied it up, almost ending the night before OT.

• 2 weeks later...

Vegas at Edm Apr 16

If Edm loses this game I see a greater than even chance Edm plays VGK's in the first round. But

If Edm wins this game vs VGK there's an even chance they end up with LAK in the first round.

So Edm has more to play for than the Flames did but will they rise to the occasion. 

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Vegas at Edm Apr 16

If Edm loses this game I see a greater than even chance Edm plays VGK's in the first round. But

If Edm wins this game vs VGK there's an even chance they end up with LAK in the first round.

So Edm has more to play for than the Flames did but will they rise to the occasion. 

There have been games that the Oilers should have been up for.  A matchup with the Flames on HNIC.  They were anything but up for that game.  We shall see if they do today.

Mike Smith coming off a shutout against a (struggling) playoff bound team.  My memories of his play after a shutout always seemed to signal a huge loss, but they might go back to Kostco.  I don't know thye really have the starting goalie defined yet for the eventual playoffs.

Three teams battling for 2 Pacific top 3 spots.  Five teams battling for 2 WC spots.  It's anyone's game still, this late.  An EDM loss puts their playoffs hopes in jeopardy, but i not critical at this point.  A LA win puts more pressure on them and Vegas.  Dallas plays SJS and Nash plays STL tomorrow.  A CGY win tonight puts a dagger in someone; LA cant's get ahead of us, VGK can only get equal points if they win 7 and only be ahead of us if we win no more and they win all as RW.  Crazy times.

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Worst case scenario Vegas wins 2-1 in OT 

1-0 Oilers after 2.

They should be able to hold a lead for another Mike Smith awesome shutout.

Looks like they found their starter.

A regulation loss to the Oilers meand Vegas can't pass us in the standings.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

1-0 Oilers after 2.

They should be able to hold a lead for another Mike Smith awesome shutout.

Looks like they found their starter.

A regulation loss to the Oilers meand Vegas can't pass us in the standings.

Well that aged well.  Smith with the second shut out in a row......4-0 final