Oilers

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

McDavid has feasted on the Flames his entire career and tonight is likely no exception.  The Flames are exactly what the doctors ordered for the struggling Oilers.

I find its feast or famine, it's generally 3 or 1 or none.  Had 3 last time so could be shut down tonight, but doesn't go 4 games without a point too often.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

McDavid has feasted on the Flames his entire career and tonight is likely no exception.  The Flames are exactly what the doctors ordered for the struggling Oilers.

The Panthers were the team McD has scored the most against of any team.

Yes, McD does make it tough on us, but he don't look right in the head.

Wouldn't face the media after the last loss.

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

IMHO if the Flames win this will be the end of any conversations about the coilers. This is the perfect time to stick a fork in them. This game is basically life support for them, a victory by the Flames should send them into a further spiral that will create a major melt down in the organization and city. Man would love to see this happen 

Last time a coach was on the hotseat and the team was spirling, they played us and lost.

Todd fired the next week.

Let's continue the tradition.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And Kenny is in California with the scouts.  Can the owner step in and fire the coach and GM by Skype?

Or Zoom, I gyess since Skype is so 2010's.

I just assumed he was already focused on how to handle the 2023 draft when Connor #1 and #2 both refuse to play.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

don't know if he is cleared of any suspension or not.

It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Cleared on the investigation about crossing the boarder.

No suspension.

Wonder how many games it takes before an Oiler shows up at practice with a black eye and Kane is healthy scratched.  JK, there was no real proof that Draisaitl got beat up by Nurse.

I get the NHL cleared him but i'm really surprised that neither the PA nor the League challenged this process at all.

San Jose gets a get out of cap jail free card I guess. That or there is more to the story and the PA didn't have any grounds to actually challenge the termination. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I get the NHL cleared him but i'm really surprised that neither the PA nor the League challenged this process at all.

San Jose gets a get out of cap jail free card I guess. That or there is more to the story and the PA didn't have any grounds to actually challenge the termination. 

Sets up a dangerous precedence doesn't it.  Don't abide by "team rules" and they can void your contract.  I don't think it's quite that simple, but that's where this goes.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Sets up a dangerous precedence doesn't it.  Don't abide by "team rules" and they can void your contract.  I don't think it's quite that simple, but that's where this goes.  

Maybe, but it just leads me to believe there is more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Maybe, but it just leads me to believe there is more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. 

Oilers seemed to know he was going to be cleared last weekend.  But, the Oilers don't seem to escape NHL lowering the boom.  There actually may be federal charges pending that we do not know about, or he could be targeted by TSA or CBSA when trying to cross the border again.  He's been in Canada, so it's hard to say right now.

2 games in Canada to start, followed by a quick trip to US.  Then back to Canada. 

Or it's 100% over and nothing else comes up.  Seems odd that an independent review of the border crossing would clear him, if he was going to face other charges related to it.  Who knows.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not really, every standard player contract includes an obligation for the player to conduct themselves on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.  They really could've and should've in October.  As far as the league statement it is worth noting the statement isn't exactly an exoneration but more a lack of sufficient evidence, without that evidence they have nothing to stand on for punishment and would see another fight with the PA.  The league's findings in this will have limited bearing in the grievance.  

I still don't think the Sharks avoid any financial penalties for this.

26 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Not really, every standard player contract includes an obligation for the player to conduct themselves on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.  They really could've and should've in October.  As far as the league statement it is worth noting the statement isn't exactly an exoneration but more a lack of sufficient evidence, without that evidence they have nothing to stand on for punishment and would see another fight with the PA.  The league's findings in this will have limited bearing in the grievance.  

I still don't think the Sharks avoid any financial penalties for this.

The Sharks placed Kane on unconditional waivers Saturday in order to terminate his contract, the 30-year-old then cleared on Sunday. San Jose cited "breach of his NHL Standard Player Contract and for violation of the AHL COVID-19 protocols."

"With support of the National Hockey League, the Sharks are alleging that Kane, who tested positive for the coronavirus on Dec. 21, made a flight to Vancouver on December 29th and they are saying he did not have permission to take that flight, medical clearance to take it, and that is being disputed.

"Also they said he was supposed to return to San Jose, the Barracuda's of the AHL, on Dec. 31 and did not come back until Jan. 6, also that is being disputed."

So, if the grievance is about those reasons, and the NHL cleared him, doesn't that set up the voiding being voided if the grievance is successful?  I don't know.  It's not quite the same as the ex-Kings player.  This is so weird.

The Sharks placed Kane on unconditional waivers Saturday in order to terminate his contract, the 30-year-old then cleared on Sunday. San Jose cited "breach of his NHL Standard Player Contract and for violation of the AHL COVID-19 protocols."

"With support of the National Hockey League, the Sharks are alleging that Kane, who tested positive for the coronavirus on Dec. 21, made a flight to Vancouver on December 29th and they are saying he did not have permission to take that flight, medical clearance to take it, and that is being disputed.

"Also they said he was supposed to return to San Jose, the Barracuda's of the AHL, on Dec. 31 and did not come back until Jan. 6, also that is being disputed."

So, if the grievance is about those reasons, and the NHL cleared him, doesn't that set up the voiding being voided if the grievance is successful?  I don't know.  It's not quite the same as the ex-Kings player.  This is so weird.

The NHL investigation into discipline is a separate matter, the arbitrator in the grievance can follow up with their own decisions and may not even consider anything from the NHL's third party investigation.  There is also to note in the citation it says breach of NHL SPC and, COVID violation, the and is a key word because it can now bring other factors like the false vaccination documents into the equation.  I would be shocked if this goes to arbitration, there is so much for both sides to lose if it comes to an arbitrators decision, and not just for Kane vs. Sharks, but can set scary precedents for either NHL teams or players.

I know this is probably not likely, but what if SJS is held to have to honor part or all of Kane's contract.  Would mean he would somehow hold two contracts at the same time.  How would they deal with that?

There was little fight from Kane's camp for his old contract... Which leads me to believe that the banks own it anyways.  Kane wouldn't see a cent from it.

Sharks are happy to get out of the deal.  Kane is happy.

Everyone else is not happy though.  The Sharks should receive a cap hit penalty.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sharks are happy to get out of the deal.  Kane is happy.

Everyone else is not happy though.  The Sharks should receive a cap hit penalty.

8 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Be a douchebag player and get on a line with McDavid for your first game.

I am disgusted.

"He's good now, Jimmie!"

Paul Calhoun came by and helped him with his 5h!tpipes. 

Love. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tippett out as is Playfair. Feel for Playfair but he is pretty tied to Tippett at this point so I get it. 

Given that Jay Woodcroft was coaching their AHL team that would likely mean this isn't an interim move but we'll see. 

How quickly they forget.  Woodcroft was an A/coach a few years back and fans were frustrated with him.  Since both Playfair and Tippett were supposed to bring in sound defensive play, this sounds like the players were not buying in.  Meanwhile, they are stuck with a guy with no success as a head coach (Gully) and a guy that had little success as an A/coach (Woody).  Manson.  Wouldn't they need to have players that actually played hard to listen to a guy like that?

I almost feel bad for Oilers fans, I don't, but I almost do. 

Imagine being gifted so many 1st overall picks and just a ton of high picks in general, but never having anyone in management capable of building a team around all these players.

I don't think they have found the right coach at any point either, but at a certain point this isn't about the coaches. They have a team where if McDavid or Draisaitl don't score they have no chance of winning the game. They have two of the worst goalies in the NHL. They don't have a single defenseman capable of playing defense at a high level. This is just a poorly built team.

I think the issue starts at the top. They need to get a new President of Hockey Ops in there and just basically clean house on the management side of things.