Oilers

It's early, but I think we have to go back to the 2019 Draft.

Many were calling on the flames to take Lavoie.

We chose Pelletier, an undersized LW.

Lavoie was coming off a Memorial Cup performance, which saw him neutered in the final game.

Remember Sam Coz doing the color on that game and talked about how he was MIA in the game.

We talked to a leader, they chose a passenger that 30 teams passed on.

Maybe it seemed like good value for a 2nd.

Played last year in the 2nd tier legue in Sweden.

Okay numbers when he played in Bakersfield.

Oiler fans claimed he was ready and could be a top 6, or at least a #3 C.

12 games in the AHL and they don't even mention his name.

2 assists.

This isn't a trash the Oilers for draft picks.

Bouchard looks like a Justin Schultz.

Doesn't understand defense yet, but he scores goals.

Bear was a decent pick, in the vein of Ras Andersson.

Shipped for a guy that played well in CAR, but struggling in EDM.

Tonight is one of the toughest test the Oilers have had.

They face the Blues after the Blues played last night.

The Blues are starting Binnington tonight, so that's a plus.

Poor lil' Connor.

Isn't getting the calls.

CBC and SN had to spend 10 minutes talking about it.

Torts said this week, grow a pair, the playoffs is like that.

I guess getting 4 and 5 PP's per game is not enough.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:36 PM, travel_dude said:

Oilers finally get a tough draw.

The score looks close, but really the only reason why Oiler got any goals was PP.

5v3 for 1st PP goal.

After the player comes back on, the 2nd PP goal.

Good luck when the refs stop giving chances away like free gum

100% agree most goals in the NHL for power plays, like I said a 1 line wonder, this wont work in any playoffs.

Oiler fans cry foul just looking at Mclottoball I used to read their forums but its tiring reading nothing but complaints on how the NHL is out to get them.  I'm getting to the point where I enjoy Oilers losses more then Flames winning... is there a cure for that?  Go Flames!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I fin funny is that only maybe a small ampunt of players understand why they are losing.  It's not that they have lost their mojo or that they are snake bit.  They had the easy games.  They were able to score when the competition was not as fierce.  Faced so many teams on the 2nd night of a B2B, or their backup, or while that team was struggling.  When the top goalie is facing them, or the team they play is competetive, or the team is fresh, the Oiler are still expecting an easy game where they get 5 PP's. 

Fun side story. When CBJ knocked off the Leafs, a guy I know put a video of himself burning his Marner jersey on Facebook.

His mom commented, "that damn well better not have been the one that I gave you for Christmas, it was expensive".

Of course it was.lol

Could you possibly offend your fixed-income, retired parents any deeper?

I'm not smart enough to make this up.

He's always been a few sandwiches short of a picnic. A public school teacher that got suspended...check this out...he spent a weekend harvesting his pot plants...showed up Monday completely reeking of pot. He teaches Grade 2.

Again, I can't possibly make this stuff up. He should have become an engineer, because he's deathly intelligent, only matched by his complete lack of practicality and common sense. It terrifies all of us that know him well that he is teaching someone's kids. Talking to him, he's crazy intelligent about a wide array of subject matter. Watching him, he's a total village idiot.

I hope everyone has one of these in their group of friends. Please tell me you do and understand.lol

The stories are unending. I could make an entire reddit out of stories about him. I am not kidding, whatsoever.

In case anyone wants more.lol

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus, I actually feel bad for Oilers fans. Watching them @ NYR, currently 4-1 Rangers.

What the heck are they doing? What a mess. They were trying to run and gun in the 1st.

Okay. First up, the Rangers are young and fast. This was your game plan?

Then they just play kind of a mucky game and save McDavid and Draisaitl for the last 10ish minutes like they'll just magically score on demand.

I thought Tippett is a D first coach? They are completely lost. Add the Rangers are on a back-to-back with their backup.

I just can't quite believe the Oilers coach has only one plan. There's really no adjusting. If Plan A goes south, the team is completely atsea as to what to do next.

I don't like the Oilers and you can say I'm bias. Sure. But I just watched a hockey game and all I can think is, what the heck was that team doing with their game plan?

I can watch Midget coaches switch gears. I was amazed to watch an NHL team not be able to switch the play up. At all.

You can call it bias, but I saw zero signs of a Plan B, which is shocking at this level.

Great, now Spector's on spewing his nonsense. Where do they find these halfwits?

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Jesus, I actually feel bad for Oilers fans. Watching them @ NYR, currently 4-1 Rangers.

What the heck are they doing? What a mess. They were trying to run and gun in the 1st.

Then they just play kind of a mucky game and save McDavid and Draisaitl for the last 10ish minutes like they'll just magically score on demand.

I thought Tippett is a D first coach? They are completely lost. Add the Rangers are on a back-to-back with their backup.

I just can't quite believe the Oilers coach has only one plan. There's really no adjusting. If Plan A goes south, the team is completely atsea as to what to do next.

I don't like the Oilers and you can say I'm bias. Sure. But I just watched a hockey game and all I can think is, what the heck was that team doing with their game plan?

I can watch Midget coaches switch gears. I was amazed to watch an NHL team not be able to switch the play up. At all.

You can call it bias, but I saw zero signs of a Plan B, which is shocking at this level.

Great, now Spector's on spewing his nonsense. Where do they find these halfwits?

The first line is the only thing I will disagree with, I never feel bad for the Oiler fans, they were gifted too many lottery picks and now the one line hit wonder is biting them in the arse.  The remaining is 100% accurate, this team not being able to adjust during any part of the game is clearly a poor coaching aspect.  With Mclotto ball not skating in the morning pre-skate was it to save him for the last 10 minutes of the game?  This team has no depth whatsoever and other teams have adjusted to learn to play with the number one line (In the NHL for that matter).  The Rangers are young and fast as you mentioned but dynamically spread out more to provide that core depth.  Going to be interesting when L.A. catches up to knock them out of the wild card spot, (still very early yes), but unless they get their head out of their Hash Rate something has to change.  (Usually that change starts with suits behind the bench).  

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I didn't watch this game but have watched others.  I also don't get them... They try to run and gun but why why why?  They only have 1 player on the team who is capable.  Only one line should run and gun.  All other lines should try to keep it 0-0.  Waste time until McDavid is on the ice.  Defend with patience.  Make the game boring and trust McDavid will get his two points per game.

They have no game plan and/or have the wrong game plan.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry folks, I was clearly not cheering the Oilers, but it turned into, holy Blockchain, this is a disaster.

Christ, I've coached PeeWee regional AA teams better, I think.

Hooooly Satoshi Nakamoto. This is an NHL coach?

Advice to Dave Tippett: Treat all of them like an avg PeeWee player.

Why what happened?

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why what happened?

Edmonton has zero resolve if they can't run and gun.

NY's a young fast team that said, "okay". The Oil couldn't play that game. Yet it seemed like they couldn't have a Plan B.

Just kept trying to force it. When the bottom 6 made it 2-1, the Rangers could've been up 6-0 for the Grade A chances.

Big trouble in Edmonton.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

NY's a young fast team that said, "okay". The Oil couldn't play that game. Yet it seemed like they couldn't have a Plan B.

Just kept trying to force it. When the bottom 6 made it 2-1, the Rangers could've been up 6-0 for the Grade A chances.

Big trouble in Edmonton.

Trues.  It just amazes me Tippet coaches that team like every line has McDavid on it.  They shouldn't run and gun.

What I like best about Sutter is that he has roles for every player on the team so no player is playing above their heads.  Lines have purpose.  He gives free reign to the top line clearly see JG cherry picking and long bomb passes.  Then the bottom six play to the strength of typical bottom six players.  Nothing complicated.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Big trouble in Edmonton.

Their plan relies on getting calls going their way.  When they don't they turn into sour pusses.  McD was mauled but it was away from the play, so the refs let it pass.  Truth be told, they let the teams play with only the most blatant ones callled for the most part.  EDM did little to earn PP's. 

Saw NY actually play defense against the top two players.  Stripped Draisaitl instead of letting him skate around untouched like most teams do.  McD checked like he had a shadow on him.  When thos two things happen, it's game over.  Georgie isn't even a good goalie.  He did make some nice saves, but it wasn't tough on him that often.

Holland reacted to last season by expecting the NHL to be like the North division.  Needed a couple of greybeards.  Young D that made a mistake were the problem.  Hardest hitting D-man was not a priority to re-sign.  Get back the NHL leading D-man, even though he scored a ton against teams like Ottawa.  They are over the cap and have to use Klefbom just to stay afloat.  Nuge has a full NMC.  Jessie P is worth his salary but they can't even afford to re-sign him.  Might as well trade him for a goalie or real D-man.  Unfortunately, this was the go-for-it year.  Little on the team that any other team would want.  Three players that are earning their pay are untradeable.  Hyman has a full NMC.  ONly way out is to trade Draisaitl, but they need him too much.  Their only salvation is a couple of prospects that haven't even played pro hockey.  And a 1st round pick that could turn into a lotto pick.  

I'm not fan of Tippett either but IMO this is far more on Holland who just has not build this team with a core identity in mind. Run and gun could work but they lack the puck moving D to do it, not to mention they don't have much in the way of scoring depth. Would be smarter to try and get the team to buy in a little more defensively and play a more "safe" brand of hockey but again look at the d core. How can you protect leads with Nurse, Keithe, Barrie and Ceci? You have to roll all your lines to be able to do that, does Tippett have an NHL calibre 3rd/4th line?

Tippett isn't doing them any favors, and if they were smart they should have grabbed Boudreau, but the Oilers roster is a mess and poorly constructed. Only so much he can do. Not to mention that their goaltending is at the bottom of the NHL over the last 25 games, which was to be expected IMO. 

Their hot start fooled people, they are just not a well built team.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, cross16 said:

I'm not fan of Tippett either but IMO this is far more on Holland who just has not build this team with a core identity in mind. Run and gun could work but they lack the puck moving D to do it, not to mention they don't have much in the way of scoring depth. Would be smarter to try and get the team to buy in a little more defensively and play a more "safe" brand of hockey but again look at the d core. How can you protect leads with Nurse, Keithe, Barrie and Ceci? You have to roll all your lines to be able to do that, does Tippett have an NHL calibre 3rd/4th line?

Tippett isn't doing them any favors, and if they were smart they should have grabbed Boudreau, but the Oilers roster is a mess and poorly constructed. Only so much he can do. Not to mention that their goaltending is at the bottom of the NHL over the last 25 games, which was to be expected IMO. 

Their hot start fooled people, they are just not a well built team.

I can't understand why he's calling out Koskinen. Sure he misplayed the first goal, but whose game plan was to play chaos hockey against a young, fast Rangers team? What did you expect?

Then his line roll outs seem to be:

Line 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4. Rinse and repeat. Put Drai with McDavid for the 3rd period.

This is every game. That's a plan?

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I can't understand why he's calling out Koskinen. Sure he misplayed the first goal, but whose game plan was to play chaos hockey against a young, fast Rangers team? What did you expect?

Then his line roll outs seem to be:

Line 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4. Rinse and repeat. Put Drai with McDavid for the 3rd period.

This is every game. That's a plan?

I agree in principle but then look at this 3rd/4th lines. They are pretty brutal so while I totally agree in principle that you need to roll lines how can you when you don' thave NHL calibre depth? It's just like the Flames under Ward where sure they would try and play those lines but then the lines would get their teeth kicked in. 

LIke I said he is not without fault and i'm not a huge fan of his but do we really think a new coach is going to fix this? I just see a mess of a roster that no coach is coming in and making better. 

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree in principle but then look at this 3rd/4th lines. They are pretty brutal so while I totally agree in principle that you need to roll lines how can you when you don' thave NHL calibre depth? It's just like the Flames under Ward where sure they would try and play those lines but then the lines would get their teeth kicked in. 

LIke I said he is not without fault and i'm not a huge fan of his but do we really think a new coach is going to fix this? I just see a mess of a roster that no coach is coming in and making better. 

Agreed. For the record, I wouldn't fire him. This was exactly us last year, and the year before, and the year before...

I liked all of our adds because I'm a big believer in you're only as good as your bottom 6 lets you be.

They have 2 of the world's best players, but they can't give them any rest.

Another point of evidence is Gaudreau. 25 mins/gm is too much. He's been amazing at 18-20.

McDavid and Draisaitl are pulling over 30. It really negates their effectiveness.

And your bottom 6 is always cold on the bench. It really makes no sense.

They don't even try to fix it, which is the saddest part. Zero patience.