Oilers

Suprised they are going back to Smitty at 40.  Yeah he had a good season but still 40 for a goalie?  Wear on his body must tell some day after 15 years in the NHL.

But on the flipside he is only 43rd in games played as a goalie in the NHL.  So might be some more in him.

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would be very surprised if RNH stays. If he stays in Edmonton, he's either a 3rd line centre or a winger. If he tests the market, there are teams that will gladly employ him as a 1st or 2nd line C. ARI/MIN/CBJ. He's come this far, he would be foolish not to hold out to free agency and see what the rest of the league thinks of him. He's a better player than Kevin Hayes, who signed for 7.1x7 before last season. 

I never understood what they were doing with Nuge.  He was a top 6 C and played well enough as a 2-way C.  

On a Oilers team, they figured he should be a LW.

Pumped up his scoring by playing with Draisaitl.

Some times I think he would be a good target for the Flames, but we would need to ditch Backlund at the very least.

Other times, I think he was fortunate to play on a team where team defense was not something looked upon as good.

He's built no more sturdy than Mangiapane.

As a UFA, $5m x 5 might be reasonable, but does it make our team any better?  Does he walk to sign for what he should be paid in EDM?

Do teams starving for a C pay him based on being a complementary player in EDM?

Problem I see, if you are RNH is where are your going to go that's a better situation for you? Edm does not deploy him as a 3rd line center he's in in their top 6 and plays in all situations so I don't see him getting more ice time in another spot. I understand the argument of he could be the number one center on maybe Ari/CBJ but is going to those teams better than giving up the chance to keep playing with McDavid/Drasaitl? The only way I thikn that is true is if they give him a long term deal that basically takes him through the rest of his career. If he needs to keep playing for another contract I don't think there is a better place for him than Edm. 

I think RNH is a good, but not great, 2nd line center on most teams and he would be smart to use UFA to extract as much as he can from the Oilers but ultimately I think the Oilers would probably be smart to not give into him. Other teams may throw more money and longer deals at him but I think Oilers would be smart not to budge because I think they could go to UFA and replace RNH with players like Danault or Wennberg. They are not as good as RNH but they would allow for more money to be spent on other needs and I don't think the downgrade is talent is that steep. If they can get a top 6 center and winger in UFA for the same cap hit RNH is likely going to need that is the smarter way to go. 

Having said that I am 100% behind the Oilers paying RNH whatever he wants. 

This should've been the year the Oilers went for it.  Instead of wasting 4th rounders on 2 games of Mike Green and a few more of Kulikov, plus 2 2nds for 9 games of AA.  They needed to go big game hunting and really given the team some help.  Oh well. 

Now what is the priorities for them, sign RNH I imagine is #1, but on the backend they need to look at keeping Barrie who won't come back as cheap, Larsson may come back for similar dollar, but extending Nurse should probably be the top priority.  Thats a lot of money right there.  I guess you can get 6 million back by cutting Koskinen and Neal, and maybe pray that Seattle takes Kassian.

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Having said that I am 100% behind the Oilers paying RNH whatever he wants. 

No doubt.

I'm hoping that it starts with at least a 6.

Does he think he's worth more than $5m?

I could be mistaken, but wasn't EDM's best season when they had him as #3C?

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

No doubt.

I'm hoping that it starts with at least a 6.

Does he think he's worth more than $5m?

I could be mistaken, but wasn't EDM's best season when they had him as #3C?

It's hard to gauge the COVID impact but I have a hard time seeing him signing for less than 6. Don't see why he would take a pay cut given he's the best center on the market. 

He was their 2nd line center that year between Lucic and Eberle as Oilers were playing McDavid with Draisaitl pretty exclusively that year. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's hard to gauge the COVID impact but I have a hard time seeing him signing for less than 6. Don't see why he would take a pay cut given he's the best center on the market. 

He was their 2nd line center that year between Lucic and Eberle as Oilers were playing McDavid with Draisaitl pretty exclusively that year. 

I don't know why he would sign for less than that.

Doesn't mean that Holland will offer that, but then again he has buyouts as an option to increase his cap.

Neal and Koskinen.

Turris spending the year in the AHL adds a bit of coin too.

Come on Kenny, $6.5m to Nuge and $5m to Larsson.

The overpay for a UFA goalie.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know why he would sign for less than that.

Doesn't mean that Holland will offer that, but then again he has buyouts as an option to increase his cap.

Neal and Koskinen.

Turris spending the year in the AHL adds a bit of coin too.

Come on Kenny, $6.5m to Nuge and $5m to Larsson.

The overpay for a UFA goalie.

There were rumors swirling before the playoffs the Oilers and Larsson were close on 3-4 year extension just under 4 mill per. See if that's true or not. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

There were rumors swirling before the playoffs the Oilers and Larsson were close on 3-4 year extension just under 4 mill per. See if that's true or not. 

I just don't see why Larsson would opt to sign for that, other than being a loyal citizen.

Brodin signed last September for 7x$6m.

Maybe not a good comparison, but less than $4m to me is an insult.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I just don't see why Larsson would opt to sign for that, other than being a loyal citizen.

Brodin signed last September for 7x$6m.

Maybe not a good comparison, but less than $4m to me is an insult.

Brodin is significantly better than Larsson though. Easily worth that difference IMO. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Brodin is significantly better than Larsson though. Easily worth that difference IMO. 

So Tanev at $4.5m as a slightly older UFA.

I should add that as a UFA signing, I don't think he was overpaid.

He was what he came advertised as.

Tanev is probably the peak for Larsson though IMO. I didn't like the Tanev deal, mostly due to term and injuries, but at least he had some metrics that pointed to him being really good in the right situation. The nice thing that stuck out about Tanev was he had really good defensive metrics but still promising stats moving the puck. 

Larsson does a good job at preventing goals but he's really below avg everywhere else and the type of dman the league is quickly trending away from. Be interesting to see where his deal falls but I wouldn't pursue him if I were a GM. 

But of course I fully support the Oilers giving him whatever he wants. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Tanev is probably the peak for Larsson though IMO. I didn't like the Tanev deal, mostly due to term and injuries, but at least he had some metrics that pointed to him being really good in the right situation. The nice thing that stuck out about Tanev was he had really good defensive metrics but still promising stats moving the puck. 

Larsson does a good job at preventing goals but he's really below avg everywhere else and the type of dman the league is quickly trending away from. Be interesting to see where his deal falls but I wouldn't pursue him if I were a GM. 

But of course I fully support the Oilers giving him whatever he wants. 

As do I.  Holland hasn't been great at evaluating talent they have vs paying them.

I get why they went a short term deal for Nurse, but 2 years at that cost seemed quite high.

Kassian's deal was a joke.

Please continue to ste them up like the guy you replaced.

I would imagine we'll start seeing the Oilers players being pieced out soon (if McDavid himself doesn't leave) and in the right orgnizations, Some of them I think could do well.  others damaged beyond repair.

I don't think Oilers reclamation projects are where the Flames want to be right now.  Maybe in a few years we will be a good fit for that .

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, McInnisslapshotothehead said:

This did not age well ... 😐

This cynical post didn't age well.

For all the individual successes, they made even less noise this year in the playoffs.

Now, they will have to build a team from the ground up with around $21m.

No depth last year and even less now.

Good times.

14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I really thought he would thrive as an Oiler too

barack obama GIF

The chance to play with McD or Drai should have gotten him 20 goals.

Chaisson, Kassian, Archibald, Yamamoto all had career years there.

It's not like any of these guys actually have 20 goal ability.

Kahun played well in CHI.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The chance to play with McD or Drai should have gotten him 20 goals.

Chaisson, Kassian, Archibald, Yamamoto all had career years there.

It's not like any of these guys actually have 20 goal ability.

Kahun played well in CHI.

Sometimes I even have my doubts about Draisaitl.

It's almost like a one-man NHL team and an AHL team without him.

I'm not sure it's possible to evaluate players who get sucked into the vortex.

50 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Sometimes I even have my doubts about Draisaitl.

It's almost like a one-man NHL team and an AHL team without him.

I'm not sure it's possible to evaluate players who get sucked into the vortex.

Pretty scary team for a one man team, though.

Really, when I am watching McD score, I wonder how the goalies fall for his tricks.

His "highlight reel" goals are more about turning a D inside out and he has a set of moves he uses on the goalie.

A goalie should be stopping about 95% of those, but they look stunned. 

What sets him apart is the edge work and his ability to handle the puck at full speed.

Want to stop him?  Don't let him build speed from the D zone.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Pretty scary team for a one man team, though.

Really, when I am watching McD score, I wonder how the goalies fall for his tricks.

His "highlight reel" goals are more about turning a D inside out and he has a set of moves he uses on the goalie.

A goalie should be stopping about 95% of those, but they look stunned. 

What sets him apart is the edge work and his ability to handle the puck at full speed.

Want to stop him?  Don't let him build speed from the D zone.

I won't bash McDavid but I do openly wonder how long he'll remain an Oiler.  I'm actually surprised the NHL hasn't intervened.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I won't bash McDavid but I do openly wonder how long he'll remain an Oiler.  I'm actually surprised the NHL hasn't intervened.

Hey, not bashing him at all.

Any team would love to have him.

Oiler stink not withstanding...

All I am really pointing to is that goalies haven't figured him out yet.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hey, not bashing him at all.

Any team would love to have him.

Oiler stink not withstanding...

All I am really pointing to is that goalies haven't figured him out yet.

Well if he really is McJesus then maybe someday he'll rise again on another NHL team.  

He's at least in the right province.