s4xon

18 minutes ago, zima said:

So are we not worried about our future we have about 4 top 9 players no #1 like a mony or chucky or even mang at this point. I know the Wranglers are high in the standings but that is what quality goal tending does for a team if we had that in the Flames we could possibly be doing as well as the Kraken. I will nev er understand why we would hide such a player in the minors specially with the problems in net? 

I think we're okay. NHL roster spots are tough. You've always got that salary cap thing lurking in the background.

I'm kinda with you that I'd like to see Wolf.

Huuuuge but, he'd be in a backup 3-way role. In the A, he's seeing tons of game action pucks. It's what you want.

His numbers have been ridiculous his whole career. Thankfully, we aren't Toronto or Carolina with endlessly injured goalies, ready or not. It's nice knowing that he's right there if we need him.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Here's my unconditional positivity translataion, if it helps:

1.  Nothing wrong with having 2 1A goalie prospects.  Or 3, or 4.  Not hard to find buyers, they ain't Left Wingers.   If you're going to stack a position, here's where to stack.

This is good, wise, logic, period. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

... Thankfully, we aren't Toronto or Carolina with endlessly injured goalies, ready or not. It's nice knowing that he's right there if we need him.

That is for sure. You often come up with ideas that I consider to contain logical forsight. We are fortunate to have 2 or 3 goalies with good potential. I will stop my whining, and appreciate the top side. 

I managed a team once. A player on another team was very skilled but he wouldn't pass the puck. He had that team discontented and bitxxing alot. When securing players for the next season I thought about aquiring him because I knew they didn't want him. He said he wouldn't leave them in a lurch because he was loyal. I didn't have the heart to tell him that they didn't want him anymore. Some time later he let me know he was available. He became a good player on our team because we worked the concept of pass pass pass. 

The moral of the story? Sometimes it's better to work with what you have. 

13 minutes ago, bombcomputers said:

I managed a team once. A player on another team was very skilled but he wouldn't pass the puck. He had that team discontented and bitxxing alot. When securing players for the next season I thought about aquiring him because I knew they didn't want him. He said he wouldn't leave them in a lurch because he was loyal. I didn't have the heart to tell him that they didn't want him anymore. Some time later he let me know he was available. He became a good player on our team because we worked the concept of pass pass pass. 

The moral of the story? Sometimes it's better to work with what you have. 

I played goal. Angrily. I always wanted to fight the other team's captain or 'star'. Always. It kept me in, "you're not scoring on me" mode. And yes, I had some good scraps. Helped me focus.

Moral: don't go to your opponents house the night before a game.lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I played goal. Angrily. I always wanted to fight the other team's captain or 'star'. Always. It kept me in, "you're not scoring on me" mode. And yes, I had some good scraps. Helped me focus.

Moral: don't go to your opponents house the night before a game.lol

Right on, good for you! I skated into a roundhouse punch one time. I had that guy's number ready for the next game against them. That team suspended him. I never had to follow through with pile driving his head. My plan was definitely pre-meditated but was defused; lucky for him, lucky for me too. I always played hard, nevermissedashift. 

I still love to play but have a torn rotator cuff. I've moved to the 40+ group by 26 years. Don't feel like pushing the fight much anymore 🥴 I need the energy to skate. 

moral: don't lead with your head. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty good read here from former NHL goalie Mike McKenna. Goes through what he sees in Markstrom, why he is struggling and takes a pretty balanced look at things IMO. 

Worth the read

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/daily-nhl-betting-guide-02-08-23

Just now, conundrumed said:

It's bad enough the league is pushing gambling at every commercial break, now we got usually respectful posters promoting gambling by hiding it behind other articles.

• Haha 1

I knew Markstrom was in trouble this season when early in the year during a slide he said “I really suck at hockey right now”. You could tell he actually believed it and it’s been showing in his game all season. He hasn’t got out of his head and with Vladar outplaying him on top of his consistency of letting in bad goals. Every bad goal and loss keeps reinforcing his negative belief in himself and abilities. Sigalet and LaBarbera need to help sort this $6 Million dollar man out! 

2 hours ago, bombcomputers said:

Something must be happening in his life. I wonder if his wife has other plans or something, like what happened to Luongo. 

Why? A floundering goalie means a next year team, playoffs or not. Management is giving him every opportunity to get back on track. 

I sure hope turning 33 is not what's happening in his life and is beginning to lose reflexes, timing, stamina, eye sight, and everything else that goes with age.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I sure hope turning 33 is not what's happening in his life and is beginning to lose reflexes, timing, stamina, eye sight, and everything else that goes with age.

He doesn’t look the same. I’m like the rest of you, I’m pretty much expecting Marky NOT to stop that puck. He’s definitely lost a lot of confidence, at some point tho we should try a run with Vladar and see if we can muster a string of wins together for once. We get on a roll only to lose the momentum and Marky has far too often been on the losing end of things. We just need a steady 1-2 years from him, hopefully we can trade him and make way for Vladar/Wolf?

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

He doesn’t look the same. I’m like the rest of you, I’m pretty much expecting Marky NOT to stop that puck. He’s definitely lost a lot of confidence, at some point tho we should try a run with Vladar and see if we can muster a string of wins together for once. We get on a roll only to lose the momentum and Marky has far too often been on the losing end of things. We just need a steady 1-2 years from him, hopefully we can trade him and make way for Vladar/Wolf?

The coach doesn't seem concerned.  That's part of the problem.

If the team is all about competition, then let him win the starter role back.

One good game out of a handful does not a starter make.

We are not even sure Vladar is part of the solution.

When he gets a win, he's lucky to get the next start.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Highlight reel save from Flames 7th rounder Arsenii Sergeev

That was ridiculous, but I think we can all agree that you don't necessarily want your goalie making that save very often. I mean, yes, you want him making that save ten times out of ten, you just don't want him in that spot very often.

It's like when Markstrom makes those cartwheel padstack saves. I've seen him do it at least three times this year, and while it looks cool, I always think, "Man... he sure makes it hard on himself."

Love

48 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

That was ridiculous, but I think we can all agree that you don't necessarily want your goalie making that save very often. I mean, yes, you want him making that save ten times out of ten, you just don't want him in that spot very often.

It's like when Markstrom makes those cartwheel padstack saves. I've seen him do it at least three times this year, and while it looks cool, I always think, "Man... he sure makes it hard on himself."

Love

The battle in his game is strong....

But I feel sometimes like I am watching Mike Smith out there.

Fighting the play instead of positioning for it.

I would love to see Wolf play a game in the NHL to see if his style works.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The battle in his game is strong....

But I feel sometimes like I am watching Mike Smith out there.

Fighting the play instead of positioning for it.

Ah but history would never repeat itself like that.   Under the same management.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would love to see Wolf play a game in the NHL to see if his style works.

Nonsense!