2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

Tampa vs NYR.

This should be a good series. There's a lot to unravel.

Tampa

Twice Champs, goalie, size, skill, solid D. Blocking everything. Were on the ropes vs Toronto.

NYR

Inexperienced outside of 4-0 in elimination games this year. Goalie, skill mix with lots of it being young and ambitious, decent size (the Reaves factor), D seems shady but stepping up.

I'm convincing myself this will be about 4 Russians:

Vasilevsky vs Shesterkin

Kucherov vs Panarin

A majority of the rosters are relatively even.

Thoughts?

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I am yet to see the linesmen get an offside call wrong on review.

Every other call is so called experts in TO.

Subject to the instructions they get before the playoffs.

And the way they look at a replay.

They see intent, which is not conclusive.

They think he meant to kick it, so they see a kick.

The goalie interference ones should be easy, but they go either way.

The high stick ones, well we don't see angles they do.

problem with the idea of intent is. A guy stopping can have the intentions to keep us skate going that way. They can change direction. But if they keep the motion going it’s a good goal regardless of intent. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Tampa vs NYR.

This should be a good series. There's a lot to unravel.

Tampa

Twice Champs, goalie, size, skill, solid D. Blocking everything. Were on the ropes vs Toronto.

NYR

Inexperienced outside of 4-0 in elimination games this year. Goalie, skill mix with lots of it being young and ambitious, decent size (the Reaves factor), D seems shady but stepping up.

I'm convincing myself this will be about 4 Russians:

Vasilevsky vs Shesterkin

Kucherov vs Panarin

A majority of the rosters are relatively even.

Thoughts?

It sounds like fun.  No idea what we see in remaining games for the Oilers (3?).  

If it's a goalie battle in NY, Tampa has been everything they need win.

Shesterkin not as solid, but made saves when he needed to.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

problem with the idea of intent is. A guy stopping can have the intentions to keep us skate going that way. They can change direction. But if they keep the motion going it’s a good goal regardless of intent. 

I hope you didn't read into it that I was thinking this was anything but a good goal.  I suspect you were agreeing.  Intent is BS except in criminal charges.  Coleman's intent was to score a goal.  So what.  Even Mike Smith wants to score a goal.  The excuse was just that.  An excuse.  

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

It sounds like fun.  No idea what we see in remaining games for the Oilers (3?).  

If it's a goalie battle in NY, Tampa has been everything they need win.

Shesterkin not as solid, but made saves when he needed to.

Or....

Shesterkin wants to prove a point vs Vasilevsky. I think he can.

Stamkos/Kreider, Point - Zibanejad, Cirelli/Copp

The main features for me. Does Fox/Hedman?

Lotsa maybe maybes.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Or....

Shesterkin wants to prove a point vs Vasilevsky. I think he can.

Stamkos/Kreider, Point - Zibanejad, Cirelli/Copp

The main features for me. Does Fox/Hedman?

Lotsa maybe maybes.

NY is a fun team to watch on offense.

They are pretty decent in all aspects of the game.

I think we could have beaten them, but had my doubts about beating TBag.

If the AVS get to the finals against TBag, then who knows.

Average goalie vs Vas.

Both are pretty deep teams.

Too far ahead.

I want to see the AVS stomp the Oilstains.

Put old Smith out to pasture.

Woodcroft wouldn't name his game 2 starter. It will be Smith. He got them to this point. Although, Koskinen was solid, Smith might be on a short leash.

This series is going to be a rollercoaster. Kuemper was shaky last night, but he's more proven than Francouz. I don't see the scoring dropping off at all in this one.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Woodcroft wouldn't name his game 2 starter. It will be Smith. He got them to this point. Although, Koskinen was solid, Smith might be on a short leash.

This series is going to be a rollercoaster. Kuemper was shaky last night, but he's more proven than Francouz. I don't see the scoring dropping off at all in this one.

Woody thinks he's a smart coach.  He took cues from Sutter.  He's not going to say anything ahead of the game because he thinks it's some smart tactic.  There's no benefit to do it in advance.  He doesn't name Smith, people freak out.  He names Smith and people groan and think another 6 goals or 0 goals.  He had it easy in two seies so far.  He's doing the same things he did for us against COL.  IN other words, it will be a loss.

As far as who he goes with?  Kosko has defected and reportedly already signed a deal in Europe.  It would be fitting for him to play in the elimination game because then they can blame him, save Smitty for next season and nobody around to answer to the blame.

I'm way ahead here.  I got no problem with him as a coach.  Smug little troll, but nothing personal.  

NYR exploiting Vasilevsky. Get him moving side to side and one timing it. Wingers and Centers intentionally setting up on the off wing to allow for one-timers. It’s beautiful to watch. Both TBag and the Rags use the off-wing one-timer a lot. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I hope you didn't read into it that I was thinking this was anything but a good goal.  I suspect you were agreeing.  Intent is BS except in criminal charges.  Coleman's intent was to score a goal.  So what.  Even Mike Smith wants to score a goal.  The excuse was just that.  An excuse.  

i wasn’t critiquing at all, just reiterating how intent has nothing to do with Coleman’s goal

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i wasn’t critiquing at all, just reiterating how intent has nothing to do with Coleman’s goal

That's good to know.

I am offically shelving my comments about the Flames playoffs.

We will get there next year and be better.

On the other hand, go AVS.

Would have liked the chance to play you.

Would have been one for the ages.

NHL was robbed of that chance.

Nobody wants to see the Oilers move on.

8 hours ago, LouCifer said:

NYR exploiting Vasilevsky. Get him moving side to side and one timing it. Wingers and Centers intentionally setting up on the off wing to allow for one-timers. It’s beautiful to watch. Both TBag and the Rags use the off-wing one-timer a lot. 

There's always something that surprises every playoffs. The kid line for NYR are playing full of confidence. Chytil being lethal.

Cheapest line in the league?

I love this. Young guys breaking out when it matters most. Huge boost for the Rangers.

Great storylines in this series, as opposed to that other series.

I love the talking heads TBag excuses today. "They've had a long layoff, they'll be much better in game 2".

What a riot.

NYR lines:

Kreider-Zibanijad-Vatrano

Panarin-Strome-Copp

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko

Motte-Goodrow-Reaves

TBay Lines:

Stamkos-Cirelli-Kucherov

Palat-Paul-Killorn

Hagel-Colton-Perry

Maroon-Bellemare-Rutta

Are you guys sure that you know what you're talking about? Not seeing Tampa win these matchups much.

Everyone thinking TBay would crush the Rangers due to D differences should take a hard look at these forward lines.

They aren't that close. 1 game, I know...

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There's always something that surprises every playoffs. The kid line for NYR are playing full of confidence. Chytil being lethal.

Cheapest line in the league?

I love this. Young guys breaking out when it matters most. Huge boost for the Rangers.

Great storylines in this series, as opposed to that other series.

i get it takes talent, but i don’t know if I like the idea of, it takes experience or we lack experience. Maybe experiencing has a role to play, but you look at young players who do get up to play in the playoffs, how much experience do they have? 

I believe in yoda. You do or do not. In hockey you try, and sometimes it’s not good enough. But I can see how experience could mean development. But if they’re fully capable NHLers… 

it also could be the mix 

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i get it takes talent, but i don’t know if I like the idea of, it takes experience or we lack experience. Maybe experiencing has a role to play, but you look at young players who do get up to play in the playoffs, how much experience do they have? 

I believe in yoda. You do or do not. In hockey you try, and sometimes it’s not good enough. But I can see how experience could mean development. But if they’re fully capable NHLers… 

it also could be the mix 

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kappo-Fox-Shesterkin etc?

A ton of high pressure games, only not in the NHL.

Beneath the weight of big expectations.

They're bringing it. Their stars are being stars, it's a fun team.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it also could be the mix 

There is a big difference between West and East hockey.

Big punishing team from the West get to the cup.

Fast, skilled teams from the East that have great goaltending get to the cup.

The last two season TBL won because of the format.

MTL playing for the cup against TBL?  Would never happen any other time; not possible.

DAL playing for the cup in a short season; anyone's chance with the delay.

This is the first season in 3 years that is normal.  Injuries impacted us only in the playoffs.

Tampa lost their best playoff player.

The experience helps, since you need to know what it takes to win.

But there is always going to be a guy that takes it to the next level at the right time.

Experience in that case means nothing. 

27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kappo-Fox-Shesterkin etc?

A ton of high pressure games, only not in the NHL.

Beneath the weight of big expectations.

They're bringing it. Their stars are being stars, it's a fun team.

cool! 

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

MTL playing for the cup against TBL?  Would never happen any other time; not possible.

This is the first season in 3 years that is normal.  Injuries impacted us only in the playoffs.

But there is always going to be a guy that takes it to the next level at the right time.

if I were coaching, not even a remote ability to! lol I would say hey! You can play! Just do it! Nike!

i like the pressure. The only sport I couldn’t handle pressure under was Basketball. But for all of the others I can go the next level. But in the other sports I was more of a worker bee. 

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whoever from the West, assuming the AVS, are going to get lit right up.

You HAVE to bring a top tier goalie.

Neither has one.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Whoever from the West, assuming the AVS, are going to get lit right up.

You HAVE to bring a top tier goalie.

Neither has one.

And so it seems to continue each year.

Having  true starter, that is also feeling it.

Shesty has been a top goalie all year.

Vas have been pretty consistent in the playoofs.

Smith is a joke and only made it this far with teams struggling to get quality chances.

Kuemper was average this season and gets lit up too easily.

He looked no better than Markstrom in game 1.

Francouz is a backup and if you are relying on a backup, you are in trouble.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it also could be the mix 

I think 2 things, every player is wired differently and the game is wildly unpredictable.  Some players perform immediately in the post season, others have a good run or 2 early and then fade, others struggle early and get it together and then some never get there.  What constitutes a playoff performer?  Take Mike Vernon for example, great in '89 and '97 in between there were a few series where he cost them, Sidney Crosby outside of this year has had a few duds for series the last few years, but his overall resume would say he's the best playoff performer in the cap era.  While we can talk about how good New York is doing for their age, lets remember that Pittsburgh had them on the ropes all while playing with Louis Domingue, who couldn't get a start here last year because he couldn't even look good in practice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

I think 2 things, every player is wired differently and the game is wildly unpredictable.  Some players perform immediately in the post season, others have a good run or 2 early and then fade, others struggle early and get it together and then some never get there.  What constitutes a playoff performer?  Take Mike Vernon for example, great in '89 and '97 in between there were a few series where he cost them, Sidney Crosby outside of this year has had a few duds for series the last few years, but his overall resume would say he's the best playoff performer in the cap era.  While we can talk about how good New York is doing for their age, lets remember that Pittsburgh had them on the ropes all while playing with Louis Domingue, who couldn't get a start here last year because he couldn't even look good in practice.

Can we call this a turning pt for the Rangers? Adversity, then a pretty solid Canes series that I doubt many thought they'd win. Fun to watch at any rate. All 6 goals in game 1 were pretty sweet goals.