2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Last season, Leafs fans were also calling for changes and they made very few.  Both Flames and Leafs benefitted by staying the course.

Winnipeg Jets is comparable to the Flames situation last year.  Missing the playoffs and fans calling for core players to go.

Leafs made the playoffs and lost last year.

Flames didn't make the playoffs last year.

We got a different coach (finally the right one) and turned the ship around.

We made a lot of changes to the team and decided we needed more cup experience.

We didn't blow it up because you don't do that after a weird season.

A covid season that had strange divisions. 

The Leafs stuck with the same coach and had the same results.

Did he turn Marner and Matthew into top players?

Nothing really changed with the coaching, so it's more on those two.

I admit we gave away game 6, but not from lack of trying.

Leafs had a few games when they didn't show up.

All I was getting at was how do you disect a team's failure and direction in 3 days.

Maybe you don't turn around and fire a coach or GM right away.

But do you really need to pump tires after a car crash?

The Leafs were one of the best teams in the league this year and lost a 7 game series to the 2 time defending Stanley cup champions by 1 goal. On top of that, they were a bounce away (multiple times) in game 6 from winning the series as they were all over the Lightning in overtime. 

I don't see the rationale of the Leafs making big changes nor do I see why Keefe or Dubas should lose their jobs. I think the Leafs are in good shape moving forward so why turn over the plan? Who are you going to get who is better?

I think they need some tweaks. I think they should be looking to move Morgan Reily, look for an upgrade in goal and round our their team with some more depth but I really don't see the rationale of freaking out. Series could have easily gone their way, that's hockey, that's sports. 

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

All I was getting at was how do you disect a team's failure and direction in 3 days.

Maybe you don't turn around and fire a coach or GM right away.

But do you really need to pump tires after a car crash?

A player was robbed at gunpoint.  I think a couple days of cooling off are warranted.  Its like people here who wanted GG fired the days after the season he missed the playoffs, like what was the day to do it the day he was driving to Saskatoon to visit injured Humboldt Broncos or on the drive back.  Somethings are bigger than a game.

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I think the Flames would fare better against COL than STL. A strong forecheck really makes Colorado's small defense vulnerable. STL now plays a similar  game to DAL but with far more fire power.  STL in 6

COL does what they do.

They win and then a loss sets them back.

STL is built like CGY, in some ways.

I'm still up in the air about who wins that series or about who I would want to play against.

COL for payback?

STL, getting by a former cup winner?

Still have 3 wins to even worry about a Conference Final.

Either would be very tough.

Colorado is so fast, skilled and they've added toughness.

St. Louis is big and heavy like they've been for the past decade. Blueline and the way they defend isn't as impressive as it's previously been. The Blues haven't been a good matchup for Calgary in the past

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Still have 3 wins to even worry about a Conference Final.

Either would be very tough.

Colorado is so fast, skilled and they've added toughness.

St. Louis is big and heavy like they've been for the past decade. Blueline and the way they defend isn't as impressive as it's previously been. The Blues haven't been a good matchup for Calgary in the past

Yeah, I am just watching how the teams play.

40 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

What blows my mind is how Tampa plays the same way they’ve played the last 3 playoffs, and nobody has countered. Does anyone watch and breakdown video anymore? 3-0 series lead over FLA. 

FLA had momentum and Bennett took a dumb O-zone penalty.  It happens, but it took away all that FLA had just built.  No reason for it, as it was just TBL about to escape their zone and not a scoring chance even remotely.  I would rather had TO against FLA in this round, but TBL just lurks in the weeds waiting to take over.  

Let's do everything we can to ensure a Sutter rematch against the Bolts.

I don't even care if we got swept or took it to game 7.

That's the rematch of the century.

Battle of Florida was a dud.

Rangers or Canes should be very afraid of the Lightning. They have a very good shot at reaching the Cup Final. Which is incredibly impressive.

This postseason has to be a major disappointment for the Panthers. They were able to finally win a round, but they mortgaged a large chunk of their future for 4 wins. Their historic offence and high end PP failed to show up. Verhaeghe is a fantastic story, but if he's your best forward, hard to see you having a deep run

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Battle of Florida was a dud.

Rangers or Canes should be very afraid of the Lightning. They have a very good shot at reaching the Cup Final. Which is incredibly impressive.

This postseason has to be a major disappointment for the Panthers. They were able to finally win a round, but they mortgaged a large chunk of their future for 4 wins. Their historic offence and high end PP failed to show up. Verhaeghe is a fantastic story, but if he's your best forward, hard to see you having a deep run

Vasilevsky with the 49 save SO. He's dialed in folks.

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

TBag showing how championship teams do it. Like @conundrumed said, Vasilevsky looking like a championship goalie. This Flames team has some work to do, and it starts tonight. 

Best goalie in the league. Took him to nearly elimination to get going. He's going. Frontrunner for the Conn Smythe, yet again. Huge respect. TBag is very beatable without him. He's dialed right the Blockchain in. When he decides that you aren't scoring that's pretty much it.

JG off of his back. Twice. He doesn't give much else.

On 5/22/2022 at 2:12 PM, LouCifer said:

What blows my mind is how Tampa plays the same way they’ve played the last 3 playoffs, and nobody has countered. Does anyone watch and breakdown video anymore? 3-0 series lead over FLA. 

I mean let's also point out that they have one of the most talented teams in the league, one of the deepest too (thanks to another shrewd trade deadline) and the league's best goalie. 

Can watch as much video as you want, sometimes a team is just better than you are. 

That's a tough pill for the Panthers, they have 1 2nd and no firsts for the next 3 drafts as of right now and not a lot of cap space and Huberdeau entering his final year.  Greatest offense in the cap era, 3 goals in 4 games, big guns fail to deliver Barkov 7 in 10, Huberdeau 5 in 10, Reinhart 4 in 10, and playoff Sam Bennett was not a thing this year.  More proof that all the discussions of who won TDL day are pointless.

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

That's a tough pill for the Panthers, they have 1 2nd and no firsts for the next 3 drafts as of right now and not a lot of cap space and Huberdeau entering his final year.  Greatest offense in the cap era, 3 goals in 4 games, big guns fail to deliver Barkov 7 in 10, Huberdeau 5 in 10, Reinhart 4 in 10, and playoff Sam Bennett was not a thing this year.  More proof that all the discussions of who won TDL day are pointless.

The risk of trading for rentals.

Chiarot one point in 10 games.

Giroux was good, but he's not back next year.

They also have a ton of cap issues.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The risk of trading for rentals.

Chiarot one point in 10 games.

Giroux was good, but he's not back next year.

They also have a ton of cap issues.

Well to be fair the Chiarot trade was bad from the get go. 

Wonder if this open up the potential for Trotz in Florida. Bit style change from what they were doing but despite his coach of the year nomination I wouldn't be shocked if Brunette takes the fall for this. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Also worth pointing out, Jon Cooper is an incredibly good coach. Tampa gets the buzz of high flying, offensive pressure but look how they changed their approach to stifle Florida. 

What level hasn't he won at as a coach? NAHL, USHL, AHL, NHL. Exceptional.

Now follow Yzerman.lol

Playing COL was a waste of 8 (7? 6?) days for NAS.

Playing TBL was a waste of fan money for the Leafs.

The elite are starting to rise in the NHL.

I don't like our chances against COL, but hopefully STL will take a bite out of them.

Against TBL?  Yikes.

It would have to be a different game than what TO or FLA tried on them.

Beat the bloody piss outa them?

I doubt it.

As disappointing as the Flames exit was, it's as bad or worse in three other markets.

Presidents Trophy Panthers swept.

Canes go 0-6 on the road and it comes back to haunt them.

Blues allow a goal with 5 seconds left in regulation, arguably hurts worse than an OT goal.

There's truly no good way to lose in the postseason lol

• Like 1

I was really hoping for a Shesterkin vs Vasilevsky East final once Vas blew everybody up. Got my wish:) I kept saying the Canes are pushing their luck taking Shesterkin down to one must win game. I expect a fierce goalie battle. Should be epic. High shot volumes, low scoring. Not a series I'd bet on.

The West goalies...meh...but Edmonton, I'm guessing, is in huge trouble.

For all of the high-falutin' scoring, the AVS can be a nasty, nasty team.