2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The Leafs have delayed their parade. Anyone else sick of listening to the panels for any game.

Here's Toronto's problem per Friedman and Bieksa: "they have to stop sitting Matthews to start the game, he isn't getting out there until the 3rd shift".

Are you guys Satoshi Nakamototing me? lol

A whole minute and a half? These are our "experts".lol

And of course, TBay didn't win the game, Toronto lost it.

Diabolical.

Par for the course around here. I get to listen to it all day long - no escaping Leaf talk in public or at work. I do get a chuckle out of some of the things I hear, but my investment in all things Flames has me absorbed.  Big game tonight. I've got the same feeling in my stomach as if I was going to be playing in the game myself. I am the definition of "fanatical", where the word "fan" stems from. 

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Leafs have delayed their parade. Anyone else sick of listening to the panels for any game.

Here's Toronto's problem per Friedman and Bieksa: "they have to stop sitting Matthews to start the game, he isn't getting out there until the 3rd shift".

Diabolical.

2-1 series lead in both the Leafs and EDM series has the "panel" talking about the next round.  A dominating win (by score) means that these two juggernauts will be heading to conference finals.  The panel is really just talking about the way the wind blows.  But anyways.  Last week they predicted a Flames cup final.  This week it's something else.  

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Diabolical.

Been a strange series I think. I actually think Leafs have played pretty well but basically whenever TBay's stars decide they want to be stars they win and then follow it up with a less than stellar effort and Leafs take over. Hedman in particular seems to be the linchpin on that one.  Kind of a weird way for a series to play out IMO. 

It's weird how many series are close, but more so how few games are that close.  Very hard to predict on a night to night basis.  I'd feel somewhat confident about putting Nashvilles final nail in tonight, but every other series is still too close to call, in who knows what team shows up on a given night.

4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It's weird how many series are close, but more so how few games are that close.  Very hard to predict on a night to night basis.  I'd feel somewhat confident about putting Nashvilles final nail in tonight, but every other series is still too close to call, in who knows what team shows up on a given night.

Some big swings in games.

EDM looked like they didn't need to play.

And they get owned.

LA played like they wanted to win, while EDM played like they wanted to use coach's challenge on goals against.

Some weird goals scored/

Just now, travel_dude said:

Some big swings in games.

EDM looked like they didn't need to play.

And they get owned.

LA played like they wanted to win, while EDM played like they wanted to use coach's challenge on goals against.

Some weird goals scored/

I feel that series every game LA has come out the stronger team, not sure what the total shots in the first are but LA has a 4-3 edge in goals, the 2nd has been a disaster for them at 3-8, and the third 3-6.  If LA could finish better I think they are sitting a little better in this series.

Tim & Friends talked about Willie not wanting to take a hit to make a play.

They showed Cernak and him going into the boards to get the puck, and Willie didn't even do a flyby.

He stopped skating and pulled up about 10 feet short.

Forget about the score, what does that tell you.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They showed Cernak and him going into the boards to get the puck, and Willie didn't even do a flyby.

I notice most DAL players let Lucic have the puck too.  They not taking the hits either.  If it's a close race, then you actually see the DAL player slowing down to pretend Lucic won the race so they don't get creamed.

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I notice most DAL players let Lucic have the puck too.  They not taking the hits either.  If it's a close race, then you actually see the DAL player slowing down to pretend Lucic won the race so they don't get creamed.

Yessir. That's been happening since Game 2. Self preservation is good... but the Flames really can take advantage, and I think that's one of the reasons that the Lucic/Lewis line has looked as good as it has.

Love.

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think Lucic's speed has actually increased.  I know Dallas is mostly a slow attack team, but Lucic has been able to do more than just win board battles.  He's winning a few odd man rushes with the puck.  First shift of the game and he's able to get slight ahead of the defenders and take a decent shot.  Makes sense to put a finisher out with him, because he's going to win those puck battles.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

NOW YOU SEE WHY I FIGHT ANY SUGGESTION TO ACQUIRE HIM! WILLY NILLY! A VERY SELFISH PLAYER. 

38 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

NOW YOU SEE WHY I FIGHT ANY SUGGESTION TO ACQUIRE HIM! WILLY NILLY! A VERY SELFISH PLAYER. 

No need to shout.  Even if he didn't have one of the worst contracts on the Leafs, he is half the player Kapanen is.  

He's a guy you use to get to the playoff, not get you deep.

45 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No need to shout.  Even if he didn't have one of the worst contracts on the Leafs, he is half the player Kapanen is.  

He's a guy you use to get to the playoff, not get you deep.

Nylander had 5 goals and 8 points to lead the Leafs in playoff scoring last season.  He's been getting it done on the score sheet.  TO media just wants to blame one player when 5 or 10 players on that team deserve the same criticism for playing soft.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nylander had 5 goals and 8 points to lead the Leafs in playoff scoring last season.  He's been getting it done on the score sheet.  TO media just wants to blame one player when 5 or 10 players on that team deserve the same criticism for playing soft.

Yeah, and I wasn't singling out Willie as the only one.  They all were playing soft.  But scoring goals is one thing.  If you let a softie go, then it's the same as not scoring a goal.  For context though, if you consider him to play like Gaudreau, then you accept the lack of a sacrifice.  You use the less skill guys and the bigger F to go into those corners.  Saying that, it was a bad look.  Gaudreau probably doesn't engage in that situation, but he doesn't peal off the way Willie did.  He would get his stick on stick.  

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I watched. I was forced to watch replays - over and over. I know he lead the leafs in playoff points. However, almost all - save for maybe 1 or 2 of those - were opportunistic. Found himself in the right spot, at the right time, and capitalized on a lucky bounce or completely on someone else’s effort. IIRC he even potted a couple from a shot originating against the boards. Regardless, you’re entitled to like whoever you like. I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. Just sharing my opinion and assessment of a player I see play fairly often. 

Now, let’s talk about Toronto’s 4th and game-winning goal in the 4-3 Game 5 win! @robrob74 and I have been talking about this exact setup that the flames should practice, as we get so many shots at the net that we either miss wide, or aim for gloves and blockers. Being unselfish and placing a low shot at the goalies pads that force him to kick out a rebound into the slot is a genius play, regardless of situation. It works like it did for the leafs on a 2-on-1 when the pass isn’t available due to defensive positioning, it works with low shots from the point that ping-pong or hit the net directly and bounce off the pads or goalie stick… heck, we saw enough of Dallas placing that exact shot on Markstrom creating scrambles in front of the net! Here’s a good look at a great strategy for scoring. Against a goalie like Otter, this could help a lot. 

10 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I watched. I was forced to watch replays - over and over. I know he lead the leafs in playoff points. However, almost all - save for maybe 1 or 2 of those - were opportunistic. Found himself in the right spot, at the right time, and capitalized on a lucky bounce or completely on someone else’s effort. IIRC he even potted a couple from a shot originating against the boards. Regardless, you’re entitled to like whoever you like. I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. Just sharing my opinion and assessment of a player I see play fairly often. 

Now, let’s talk about Toronto’s 4th and game-winning goal in the 4-3 Game 5 win! @robrob74 and I have been talking about this exact setup that the flames should practice, as we get so many shots at the net that we either miss wide, or aim for gloves and blockers. Being unselfish and placing a low shot at the goalies pads that force him to kick out a rebound into the slot is a genius play, regardless of situation. It works like it did for the leafs on a 2-on-1 when the pass isn’t available due to defensive positioning, it works with low shots from the point that ping-pong or hit the net directly and bounce off the pads or goalie stick… heck, we saw enough of Dallas placing that exact shot on Markstrom creating scrambles in front of the net! Here’s a good look at a great strategy for scoring. Against a goalie like Otter, this could help a lot. 

“i can guarantee you on this two-on-one rush Mitch Marner is doing exactly what he wants. He shoots low far side to get a rebound for Austin Matthews!”

yup! Exactly what I’m trying to explain. 

Look, I get what you are both saying about PP and shot selection.but Vas isn't even playing close to the level as Ott.

The PP setup works for they types of players you have.

W don't have big C's that fight for the ice.

Lindy is great, but not at the Matthws level.

We have a small winger that has to be the QB, even though he's got one of the best shot placements.

Dallas is a hard 4 man box to get past.

Other teams our looks would be different.

I give the Leafs a lot of credit for tonight. 

At 2-0, it looked like they were gonna get crushed by the Lightning again.

Crazy that the Leafs have had the better goalie in this series, not by much, but just enough.

Interested to watch game 6. Bolts rarely lose two playoff games in a row