2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The better team ultimately won. 

LA showed glimpses of high end play, but couldn't find that level consistently

They needed to close it out in LA.  Only chance they had.

Tied with 6 minutes left and they let a D score with a wrister.

They just needed to get it to OT.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They needed to close it out in LA.  Only chance they had.

Tied with 6 minutes left and they let a D score with a wrister.

They just needed to get it to OT.

Impressive to go 7 without Doughty or Arvidsson.

They reminded me a bit of the 2015 Flames. Unfortunately, for the Kings, the 2022 Oilers have McDavid and the 2015 Canucks did not

59 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Impressive to go 7 without Doughty or Arvidsson.

They reminded me a bit of the 2015 Flames. Unfortunately, for the Kings, the 2022 Oilers have McDavid and the 2015 Canucks did not

The Kings also don't have a Jarome Iginla though.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Aside from the Battle of Alberta, I'm interested in the Battle of Florida.  Funny Sportsnet didn't call it Battle of Florida.  They just call it the Florida Rivalry.  Should be a great series there.

It was the most intense series last year and in all honesty will probably be a better series than the BOA.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Aside from the Battle of Alberta, I'm interested in the Battle of Florida.  Funny Sportsnet didn't call it Battle of Florida.  They just call it the Florida Rivalry.  Should be a great series there.

Should be fun for all.

Bennett to see if he gets another game losing penalty.

Or is the hero.

Tampa without Point.

Vasilevskiy looking very bland, except when it really mattered.

Bob has been all over the map.

FLA winning in spite of him most times.

46 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It was the most intense series last year and in all honesty will probably be a better series than the BOA.

I didn't watch any playoffs last year because the Flames weren't in it lol.  But based on highlights that series was amazing though.  Had the Flames lost last night I would've turned the NHL off for the summer.

From a pure fans standpoint the playoffs have delivered so far. Some really good first round matchups and now you get 2 provincial/state battles in the 2nd round.

I could have gone either way on the wild card format but now I am fully in favor it. I dont' think they should consider going back to 1-8 (not that they were). 

The Battle of Florida was a lot of fun last year. Two skilled teams, that don't like one another. 

It's absolutely terrific for hockey in the state of Florida. The Lightning have been a model franchise, but the Panthers have been downtrodden for a long time. A little playoff success can go a long way in establishing themselves in their market again like what's happened in Nashville and Carolina. 

Ahh, good old Leafs.

3 days after losing in another first round series they decide to come out to talk.

No problem with senior management.

No problem with GM.

No problem with the coach.

No problem with the players.

Sheldon Keith will be talked about like Scotty Bowman in 10 years time.

We want Matthews to be here his entire career.

What a joke.

Better coaches have lost their jobs for better results.

GM's have been shown the door for failing to achieve more than a first round exit.

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ahh, good old Leafs.

3 days after losing in another first round series they decide to come out to talk.

No problem with senior management.

No problem with GM.

No problem with the coach.

No problem with the players.

Sheldon Keith will be talked about like Scotty Bowman in 10 years time.

We want Matthews to be here his entire career.

What a joke.

Better coaches have lost their jobs for better results.

GM's have been shown the door for failing to achieve more than a first round exit.

A year ago this fanbase called for changes to senior management, BT to be canned, and either a full on sale of the core or the bare minimum of one major core piece moved after missing the playoffs.  None of that happened and look what happened.  Its become a one game thing for them now, and I don't think its a simple management or player move that gets them over the hump, unless they can get Justin Williams to come out of retirement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

A year ago this fanbase called for changes to senior management, BT to be canned, and either a full on sale of the core or the bare minimum of one major core piece moved after missing the playoffs.  None of that happened and look what happened.  Its become a one game thing for them now, and I don't think its a simple management or player move that gets them over the hump, unless they can get Justin Williams to come out of retirement.

I would suggest that the Leafs have been a lot closer to being consistent than the Flames.  Consistent, but unable to win a single round.  Was watching Tim & Friends and the host went ballastic over the Leafs.  It's the same thing every year.  Hate to lose.  Get them next year.  What really chances?  Same core, same coach, same GM, same Pres.  Regular season success sells playoff tickets, but playoff failure does nothing.  Someone described it as a coach that never was one in the NHL before TO, a GM that never was one before in the NHL and a Pres that was never one before in the NHL.  That's all fine, except that they have found zero success and still are at the top.  If it's something in the core or other players, don't come out 3 days later and suggest there is no problems at all, we just didn't win.    

Calgary has made poor choices, signed some questionable players and trades, but also has been in and out of the playoffs.  We haven't been able to land the top free agents.  Our LTIR didn't allow us to go over the cap this year.  

The Leafs were good this season so there's no reason to over react.  It seems obvious they need one more big shut down D like Muzzin and one stud G (maybe target Husso this summer).  That's all they are missing.

But reality is, they have $10-mil to fill out the supporting cast this summer and so someone like Nylander should be dumped to free up space to get the final pieces they need.  Use that money to target Zadorov, Gudbranson, or someone like that via UFA.

I think Mrazek and Campbell are Cup caliber goaltenders if you get a stud D infront of them.  Otherwise they should try to upgrade... But again, limited cap space.

42 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Last season, Leafs fans were also calling for changes and they made very few.  Both Flames and Leafs benefitted by staying the course.

Winnipeg Jets is comparable to the Flames situation last year.  Missing the playoffs and fans calling for core players to go.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would suggest that the Leafs have been a lot closer to being consistent than the Flames.  Consistent, but unable to win a single round.  Was watching Tim & Friends and the host went ballastic over the Leafs.  It's the same thing every year.  Hate to lose.  Get them next year.  What really chances?  Same core, same coach, same GM, same Pres.  Regular season success sells playoff tickets, but playoff failure does nothing.  Someone described it as a coach that never was one in the NHL before TO, a GM that never was one before in the NHL and a Pres that was never one before in the NHL.  That's all fine, except that they have found zero success and still are at the top.  If it's something in the core or other players, don't come out 3 days later and suggest there is no problems at all, we just didn't win.    

Calgary has made poor choices, signed some questionable players and trades, but also has been in and out of the playoffs.  We haven't been able to land the top free agents.  Our LTIR didn't allow us to go over the cap this year.  

Outside of Montreal last year and Columbus in the bubble which you've stated before those 2 years don't count.  They've had 110 pt Tampa, 107 pt Boston, 112 pt Boston, and 118 pt Washington.  Pretty tough matchups each year.  I don't know what the change to be made for them to win that one game is.  The first round is to Toronto what the 2nd was to Washington all those years, and IMO there isn't much difference as round 1 can very much be a luck of the draw, like 2015 I don't think the Flames would've beaten any other team in round 1.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The Leafs were good this season so there's no reason to over react.  It seems obvious they need one more big shut down D like Muzzin and one stud G (maybe target Husso this summer).  That's all they are missing.

But reality is, they have $10-mil to fill out the supporting cast this summer and so someone like Nylander should be dumped to free up space to get the final pieces they need.  Use that money to target Zadorov, Gudbranson, or someone like that via UFA.

I think Mrazek and Campbell are Cup caliber goaltenders if you get a stud D infront of them.  Otherwise they should try to upgrade... But again, limited cap space.

This is the key. They can't have 40 million in cap tied up in four forwards and be successful. It's too top heavy - and I would argue that they have done better than most teams in that circumstance because there are a lot of veterans willing to take a value contract because they want to play there.

Love.