2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

McPoints and the Coach - we shouldn't have to score 4 goals.

McPoints - they play a structured game.

The OT goal was scored because the Oilers have zero structure.  Have three forwards in position to get behind the other team.  McD, Drai and Kane out to start and they don't even touch the puck.  Won't get off the ice after a long shift.  McD was behind the play because they thought breakaway and didn't support the D.  No F anywhere near the blueline.  Keith made a play out to the F, but they were already spent.  Easily picked off.  

They will try to sign Kane for $5M for the shortest term they can, probably try to get him for 3 years.  They can't afford him and have to re-sign McLeod, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi.  And a goalie.  And at least 2 other F.  The fans are either wanting to get Poolparty more and better minutes, or want him gone.  They expect Holland to bridge deal Pooly.  The kid looks lost out there.  Yammer is a badger out there but is Matt Phillips size and gets put down by 50% of the players he try to engage.  And most of them are just being kind.  Love the compete level, but I don't see him being a difference maker.  When he's out with McPoints, the line is easily shut down.

One of my buddies wives asked, "How is O'Toole doing? It's O'Toole right"? She meant McDavid. Priceless. And yes one of us is an Oilers fan.lol

Davey went, "nooooo" when I said, "No you're close, it's McToole".

Maybe a had-to-be-there story. McToole it is.lol

Superfun.

32 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

One of my buddies wives asked, "How is O'Toole doing? It's O'Toole right"? She meant McDavid. Priceless. And yes one of us is an Oilers fan.lol

Davey went, "nooooo" when I said, "No you're close, it's McToole".

Maybe a had-to-be-there story. McToole it is.lol

Superfun.

I just want them out of the playoffs.  The media lovefest between him and Matthews is sickening.  Sooner both those two teams are done the better.  Tim & Friends can stop covering the daily angst of the Leaf fans or glorify a comeback loss.    

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I just want them out of the playoffs.  The media lovefest between him and Matthews is sickening.  Sooner both those two teams are done the better.  Tim & Friends can stop covering the daily angst of the Leaf fans or glorify a comeback loss.    

Even if the Leafs lose in the first round, you know they will talk Leafs until the Cup Finals.

51 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Even if the Leafs lose in the first round, you know they will talk Leafs until the Cup Finals.

Of course, but at least it would put to bed the Leafs Cup Final talk.

Frankly, I don't even want to hear about the Flames chances until they get there.

3 teams to get through first.

Considering how all the analysts had us 3-5th in the Pacific, hearing them get praise us seems wrong.

Sure they exceeded expectations, but I don't know we are playing any different from game 1.

Pretty darn consistent. 

Are we capable of going 16-12?  

For sure.

10x harder, but we have played the same style and had success all year.

When we get away from the style, we get in trouble.

But the media obsession with the Leafs and Oilers is really what irks me.

Big swings in play by both teams.

A Leafs loss tonight would set the fans on fire.

An Oilers loss confirms what most suspect but are unwilling to accept.

Regular season means nothing.

Special teams win out when all things are equal.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, travel_dude said:

In context, the Tanev takedown by Benn wasn't evern reviewed.

Definite slew foot.

They pinned him of r $10k in fines for possibly lesser offences.

The stick to Mangiapane's face was really poor sportsmanship.

Just like spearing in the nads.

i thought spearing had higher consequences or is that just regular season because the playoffs mean more? 

i hate that the playoffs “mean more!” Should be a game is a game! 

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Of course, but at least it would put to bed the Leafs Cup Final talk.

Frankly, I don't even want to hear about the Flames chances until they get there.

3 teams to get through first.

Considering how all the analysts had us 3-5th in the Pacific, hearing them get praise us seems wrong.

Sure they exceeded expectations, but I don't know we are playing any different from game 1.

Pretty darn consistent. 

Are we capable of going 16-12?  

For sure.

10x harder, but we have played the same style and had success all year.

When we get away from the style, we get in trouble.

But the media obsession with the Leafs and Oilers is really what irks me.

Big swings in play by both teams.

A Leafs loss tonight would set the fans on fire.

An Oilers loss confirms what most suspect but are unwilling to accept.

Regular season means nothing.

Special teams win out when all things are equal.

I'm pretty much used to the Leafs, its how its been my entire life and I don't ever expect that to change.  The Oiler love fest is just cringe, never seen a team that hasn't accomplished anything talked up like they are one of the great dynasties.  Sportsnet is just embarrassing with their coverage, Nurse gets no call for the headbutt but all Ron wants to talk about in the intermission is missed calls on the Kings, an Oiler crosses the blueline and Singh screams in excitement.  Just let it end tonight 

Have you heard all the backlash at NHL and SN coverage for a couple of series?

Both Leah Hextall and Singh being trashed for their game call.

I don't like Leah's voice, but she is a paid pro.

Singh is not EdmontonJack but calls an even game.

A little too wound up by Connor McDavid, but whatever.

I think Singh has really improved as a broadcaster over the last year.

One thing I do notice is that he can be a little nochalant at times. There was a shot off the post in the Oiler game, so a pretty good scoring chance, it wasn't acknowledged.

He's so much better than Jack though. I have to listen to Oiler regional games on mute. I can't handle him and Louie talking about a "shot mentality" and "battle level" for three hours.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Singh has really improved as a broadcaster over the last year.

One thing I do notice is that he can be a little nochalant at times. There was a shot off the post in the Oiler game, so a pretty good scoring chance, it wasn't acknowledged.

He's so much better than Jack though. I have to listen to Oiler regional games on mute. I can't handle him and Louie talking about a "shot mentality" and "battle level" for three hours.

I agree about Singh.  It's kinda like he doesn't follow the puck or the rules someimes.  Nothing major, just can't figure out what a raised hand means.  Like puck off glass or gloved pass.  I would take him 9/10 ove screaming Jack.  He must have to have a cold shower after watching McD skate.  

Leah has a piercing voice.  Like nails on a chalkboard.  She used to do stuff for Flames brodcasts, and I could barely have the sound on.  Now she does betting adds plus gets stuck between the benches in most NHL coverage on ESPN.  Apparently, she was doing the EDM games and somehow missed that EDM had tied it up.  Said nothing for 10 seconds.  Whatever. 

Had to laugh at Millen, after an icing.  Can't understand why Dallas doesn't use it's timeout.  Ball quickly says, you can't after an icing.  

I mean some complain about Cassie's monotone voice, but we have it good compared to some of the US people doing broadcasts.  Jack makes a boring EDM game seem like there is magic out there.  

16 hours ago, sak22 said:

I'm pretty much used to the Leafs, its how its been my entire life and I don't ever expect that to change.  The Oiler love fest is just cringe, never seen a team that hasn't accomplished anything talked up like they are one of the great dynasties.  Sportsnet is just embarrassing with their coverage, Nurse gets no call for the headbutt but all Ron wants to talk about in the intermission is missed calls on the Kings, an Oiler crosses the blueline and Singh screams in excitement.  Just let it end tonight 

Nailed it, was pointing that out last night. Kings drive, it's apprehension, Oilers drive it's pandemonium.

Almost a perfect night last night, dammit.

Has Vasilevsky now remembered that he's, well, Vasilevsky? Looked like a wall in the end.

This is hard for me to say - but the leafs looked really good last night. Their defensive zone coverage has improved dramatically (Gio on 3rd pair has really stabilized things) and they seem to follow a similar program to our very own - Quick up and out. It really interrupts Tbag getting any momentum in their d zone, let alone any sustained pressure... they play with speed (we have yet to do this consistently), and they're getting VERY valuable minutes from their bottom 6 players as well. I'm quite frankly impressed. At the same time, TBag IMO hasn't shown their best for much of this series, and while Campbell has made great saves that have surprised me time and time again, I just don't have the faith in him. The Leafs are doing everything right though to prevent quality shots on net and get a W however. 

Edmonton dodged a bullet last night. LA missed an opportunity. It'll make for an intense Game 7 Saturday night. 

St.Lou got past Minny. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I thought Minny was going to take that series. Foolish me I guess. St.Lou now faces the Avs. Should be a good series. 

11 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

This is hard for me to say - but the leafs looked really good last night. Their defensive zone coverage has improved dramatically (Gio on 3rd pair has really stabilized things) and they seem to follow a similar program to our very own - Quick up and out. It really interrupts Tbag getting any momentum in their d zone, let alone any sustained pressure... they play with speed (we have yet to do this consistently), and they're getting VERY valuable minutes from their bottom 6 players as well. I'm quite frankly impressed. At the same time, TBag IMO hasn't shown their best for much of this series, and while Campbell has made great saves that have surprised me time and time again, I just don't have the faith in him. The Leafs are doing everything right though to prevent quality shots on net and get a W however. 

Edmonton dodged a bullet last night. LA missed an opportunity. It'll make for an intense Game 7 Saturday night. 

St.Lou got past Minny. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I thought Minny was going to take that series. Foolish me I guess. St.Lou now faces the Avs. Should be a good series. 

Playoff Binnington has showed up again.  They gave Husso the chance to be the guy, but he wilted a bit.  My pool reflects the difficulty I has deciding between the two teams.  An extra STL player just because they have won something.

16 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

The Leafs have looked very good.  They were the better team yesterday but couldn't buy the winning goal.  I don't know if it's the Leafs defending well or the Lightning just aren't good this year but the Lightning cannot sustain any attack.  It's one and done... and usually it's one winger all by himself trying to go around the outside.  Once he gets stopped, Leafs transition out very quickly.  The Leafs back check is strong and the Lightning have no support.

The Oilers are like the Leafs the past few years.  No commitment to team defense.  But the Leafs have matured and they look dangerous.  They could go far if they get passed Tbay.

I agree the Leafs have looked good and definetly played well enough to win the series. Leafs defend in zone really well but unfortunately they are vulnerable off the rush and I think Tampas has exploited that, which makes sense given they are a great rush team. I think this series is over if the Leafs have a better goalie than Campbell but at the same time Vaislevsky hasn't exactly been a rock for Tampa either. 

This is just a gut feel but i think the Leafs needed to win that game last night and I don't like their chances on the road in a game 7 against that veteran of a team. Having said that if they can get over this hump i think they will start cruising based on how well they are playing. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is just a gut feel but i think the Leafs needed to win that game last night and I don't like their chances on the road in a game 7 against that veteran of a team. Having said that if they can get over this hump i think they will start cruising based on how well they are playing. 

The Leafs will be playing at home on saturday. A double-edged sword in my view. They could get the boost from the fans when they score, but they're also facing a LOT of pressure in front of the home crowd. We'll see how it turns out - should be entertaining! 

The good thing for the Leafs is having Brodie and Gio to add some defense to a good offense.

The bad thing for the Leaf is neither has had much playoff success.

The Leafs really needed to win in 6, to get the series out of their heads.

Now they have the demons to exercise.

And the doubt in their own minds.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The good thing for the Leafs is having Brodie and Gio to add some defense to a good offense.

The bad thing for the Leaf is neither has had much playoff success.

The Leafs really needed to win in 6, to get the series out of their heads.

Now they have the demons to exercise.

And the doubt in their own minds.

For sure. Splitting the 2 of them up has balanced their D. Brodie is still prone to throwing pizzas up the middle of the ice every now and then, but Gio seems to have focused most of his attention to defending. Spezzas clearly been a huge voice of influence for them. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I feel for Gio. Only series win he's been part of he was injured. In a 16yr career.

He's selling his house in CGY, so time to find a short term home for next season.

Brodie is thinking, another loss with my ole buddy Gio.