2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's great news for LA.  At least LA gets him back for the Oilers for game 7.

Haha.  Depends what they do with the lineup for game 6.  Russell is 10x a better shot blocker than Nurse.

It seems to me that the Oilers were expecting to win the game on the PP.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Haha.  Depends what they do with the lineup for game 6.  Russell is 10x a better shot blocker than Nurse.

It seems to me that the Oilers were expecting to win the game on the PP.

Nurse is probably the only D I've ever seen who never passes the puck to his D partner.  Like, you see D to D passes to evade forecheckers and stuff but not Nurse.  When his D throws him the puck, he never passes it back.  He only goes forward like he has tunnel vision and can't understand his D partner has more time and space... He will never skate forward to pull forecheckers and then pass it to his D partner.  He is the definition of a selfish player who wants to do it all himself.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Nurse is probably the only D I've ever seen who never passes the puck to his D partner.  Like, you see D to D passes to evade forecheckers and stuff but not Nurse.  When his D throws him the puck, he never passes it back.  He only goes forward like he has tunnel vision and can't understand his D partner has more time and space... He will never skate forward to pull forecheckers and then pass it to his D partner.  He is the definition of a selfish player who wants to do it all himself.

I'm just not sure that adding in Russel makes them any better.  

It will be interesting to see what last ditch changes Woody makes.

Woody suggested that lack of effort wasn't a problem.

Key was winning draws (even though they won more) and establishing a forecheck.

The fact that they were outscored 4-1 at evens didn't seem to enter into the picture.

Scoring 4 goals should have been enough, apparently.

I’m a fan of any Oilers loss! Give the Kings credit, they really turned things around ..got the Oilers figured out so far. Nurses frustration will cost him 1 game which is pretty light but it’s an elimination game and Oilers already up against it!

Tonight the Flames are in another must win scenario, a win tonight, let’s hope they can carry over from game 4 and continue to dominate the Stars!

EDM has the 2nd ranked PP in the playoffs, LA's got the 15th.

The Oilers have won the special teams battle in 4 of the 5 games. In game 4, both teams wen 0-fer on the PP. EDM has as many SHG's as LA has PPG's.

It's absolutely crazy to me that LA has the series lead. Really, it's an indictment on the Oilers 5 on 5 play if they can't win this series.

Oilers 5 on 5 play is embarrassing..they are so dependent on the PP it’s really reason they win any games at all. Kings put up near 50 shots on them yesterday …the LA Kings!! That’d be like 100 shots if it were the Avs! End of the day they are still a 2 man team…Drysaddle and McDeke had to Will the team just to make it to OT. Without Nurse there’s an even bigger hole in their D. Keith will have to play more minutes which increases his liability to them team. They thought the Kings were a gift to them in these playoffs…now they face elimination it’s great!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rickross said:

Oilers 5 on 5 play is embarrassing..they are so dependent on the PP it’s really reason they win any games at all. Kings put up near 50 shots on them yesterday …the LA Kings!! That’d be like 100 shots if it were the Avs! End of the day they are still a 2 man team…Drysaddle and McDeke had to Will the team just to make it to OT. Without Nurse there’s an even bigger hole in their D. Keith will have to play more minutes which increases his liability to them team. They thought the Kings were a gift to them in these playoffs…now they face elimination it’s great!

It's just crazy, because if they even had passable 5 on 5 play, that series would be over.

But hey, I'm not gonna complain haha

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's just crazy, because if they even had passable 5 on 5 play, that series would be over.

LA has scored 13 EV goals, plus 2 PP goals

EDM has scored 19 EV goals plus 8 PP goals plus 1 SHG.

14 of those EV goals came in the two blowouts, and 5 in the other 3.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Watching LA spread things out 5v5 is a thing of beauty. Oilers coverage goes sideways.

McDavid post-game praised LA's "structured" game. I kinda took that as the Oilers don't play with much structure, which is true.

In closing he said you can't score 4 goals and lose. Well....

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Couple missed opportunities for the Caps.

Hathaway missed an empty net to salt it away in game 3, they lose in OT

Up 3-0 tonight and they let the Panthers up off the matt.

I didn't think Washington would win this series, but they've had ample opportunity.

Carter Verhaeghe. God level.

And I want an end to the Oilers-Flames Lucic fiasco.

Edmonton gives no love to a player that absolutely wears his heart on his sleeve, for not scoring 30.

We love him for who he is.

I love that we gave him an opportunity for redemption. What a great barometer of Calgary vs Edmonton.

We have juju, you guys are Hash Rate.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

And I want an end to the Oilers-Flames Lucic fiasco.

Edmonton gives no love to a player that absolutely wears his heart on his sleeve, for not scoring 30.

We love him for who he is.

I love that we gave him an opportunity for redemption. What a great barometer of Calgary vs Edmonton.

We have juju, you guys are Hash Rate.

Did they even have a team when Looch was there?  Maybe a bit moreso than today.  Now it's every man for himself.  No support on breakouts, just get in the open.  Maybe pass to some other guy in the open.  The only thing they will do is go after anyone that goes after their stars (2 of them only).  Kane acts tough, so he is the new policeman.  He will only engage when it benefits himself.  Or when someone checks him.  

Russell is the closest guy to Lucic; a guy that bleads for the team.  Great vet, love the player except when he plays us.  Team first, do whatever they ask.  Blocks shots and plays big.  Gets a rough ride because he gets caught when the team flies the zone.  Most fans think he should go into the sunset.  

Puljujarvi is the latest of the whipping boys up there.  Unless he is scoring, they don't want him.  Rushed into the league and can't play in an unstructured environment.  Probably gets traded because they can't afford to pay him and they want goal scoring.  And Holland manages the cap.  Nuff said.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Did they even have a team when Looch was there?  Maybe a bit moreso than today.  Now it's every man for himself.  No support on breakouts, just get in the open.  Maybe pass to some other guy in the open.  The only thing they will do is go after anyone that goes after their stars (2 of them only).  Kane acts tough, so he is the new policeman.  He will only engage when it benefits himself.  Or when someone checks him.  

Russell is the closest guy to Lucic; a guy that bleads for the team.  Great vet, love the player except when he plays us.  Team first, do whatever they ask.  Blocks shots and plays big.  Gets a rough ride because he gets caught when the team flies the zone.  Most fans think he should go into the sunset.  

Puljujarvi is the latest of the whipping boys up there.  Unless he is scoring, they don't want him.  Rushed into the league and can't play in an unstructured environment.  Probably gets traded because they can't afford to pay him and they want goal scoring.  And Holland manages the cap.  Nuff said.

My Oilers buddies hated acquiring Kane, now love him. Because he gets points, nothing else matters.

Nice philosophy./s

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

My Oilers buddies hated acquiring Kane, now love him. Because he gets points, nothing else matters.

Nice philosophy./s

McPoints and the Coach - we shouldn't have to score 4 goals.

McPoints - they play a structured game.

The OT goal was scored because the Oilers have zero structure.  Have three forwards in position to get behind the other team.  McD, Drai and Kane out to start and they don't even touch the puck.  Won't get off the ice after a long shift.  McD was behind the play because they thought breakaway and didn't support the D.  No F anywhere near the blueline.  Keith made a play out to the F, but they were already spent.  Easily picked off.  

They will try to sign Kane for $5M for the shortest term they can, probably try to get him for 3 years.  They can't afford him and have to re-sign McLeod, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi.  And a goalie.  And at least 2 other F.  The fans are either wanting to get Poolparty more and better minutes, or want him gone.  They expect Holland to bridge deal Pooly.  The kid looks lost out there.  Yammer is a badger out there but is Matt Phillips size and gets put down by 50% of the players he try to engage.  And most of them are just being kind.  Love the compete level, but I don't see him being a difference maker.  When he's out with McPoints, the line is easily shut down.