2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I was really hoping for a Shesterkin vs Vasilevsky East final once Vas blew everybody up. Got my wish:) I kept saying the Canes are pushing their luck taking Shesterkin down to one must win game. I expect a fierce goalie battle. Should be epic. High shot volumes, low scoring. Not a series I'd bet on.

The West goalies...meh...but Edmonton, I'm guessing, is in huge trouble.

For all of the high-falutin' scoring, the AVS can be a nasty, nasty team.

The AVS play similar toughness that we tried to use, but were told we were not allowed against EDM.  They can attack in waves.  They have elite D that impact the play in the O-zone.  EDM isn't even close in that respect.  In fact, the weakest link for EDM is the D.  I suspect a lot will depend on how the refs decide they want to call it.  Can't just let CMD get the benefit of calls, as the AVS play with a similar speed.   

I guess goaltending is the big wildcard in the West.  I would usually take Kuemper over Smith any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but right now I'm not sure Kuemper hasn't been too strong where Smith has been better than he'll ever be credited for in these parts.

13 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I guess goaltending is the big wildcard in the West.  I would usually take Kuemper over Smith any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but right now I'm not sure Kuemper hasn't been too strong where Smith has been better than he'll ever be credited for in these parts.

We were pretty easy on Smith.  When he was weak, we barely made it tough.   

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We were pretty easy on Smith.  When he was weak, we barely made it tough.   

And this is something that really bugged me in our series.

We have a glaring flaw in our team. We don't get many garbage goals or rebound goals. We don't have enough of a presence in front of the opposing net. 

Florida's loss to TB was the result of eerily similar play to ours. FLA had all the firepower in the world and still added Giroux, but they didn't go to the net enough. Always looking for the snipe instead of digging in. Sound familiar? Look at TBag's goals. Lots of players in front of the net, lots of garbage goals for the likes of Perry and Maroon and company, lots of rebounds getting buried because multiple players are driving the net instead of curling away after a shot. It's so obvious it drives me mad.

Stress Wtf GIF 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

And this is something that really bugged me in our series.

We have a glaring flaw in our team. We don't get many garbage goals or rebound goals. We don't have enough of a presence in front of the opposing net. 

Florida's loss to TB was the result of eerily similar play to ours. FLA had the firepower, but they didn't go to the net enough. Always looking for the snipe instead of digging in. Sound familiar? Look at TBag's goals. Lots in front of the net, lots of garbage goals for the likes of Perry and Maroon and company, lots of rebounds getting buried because multiple players are driving the net instead of curling away after a shot. It's so obvious it drives me mad.

I thought Tampa did a great job in shot blocks.  Who did we have doing that?  Coleman?  Lewis?  Guddy and Zaddy at times.  Watched Hanifin watch a puck blast by him.  Same with Kyl.  Not a lot of commit.  The PK was better, in that they sacrificed.  But at 5v5 and 4v4, we did little.  IMHO.

Yes, 100% we didn't get much grease against the Oils.  Coleman called for goalie interference on a nothing contact and the non goal called by Bettman's Buddy Colie.  I think in Dallas, we met a lot of that resistance, but they have good D.  We seemed to stop trying to get inside.  When we did, we got goals.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I thought Tampa did a great job in shot blocks.  Who did we have doing that?  Coleman?  Lewis?  Guddy and Zaddy at times.  Watched Hanifin watch a puck blast by him.  Same with Kyl.  Not a lot of commit.  The PK was better, in that they sacrificed.  But at 5v5 and 4v4, we did little.  IMHO.

Yes, 100% we didn't get much grease against the Oils.  Coleman called for goalie interference on a nothing contact and the non goal called by Bettman's Buddy Colie.  I think in Dallas, we met a lot of that resistance, but they have good D.  We seemed to stop trying to get inside.  When we did, we got goals.  

I'm glad you brought that up as well. You're absolutely correct TD! It's a combo for sure.

- Sacrifice to block and prevent shots towards your net

- Sacrifice to get shots in front of their net

9 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I'm glad you brought that up as well. You're absolutely correct TD! It's a combo for sure.

- Sacrifice to block and prevent shots towards your net

- Sacrifice to get shots in front of their net

Coleman knew what it took, as did a couple of other guys.

Couldn't seem to get that through to the others.

A lot of wasted energy doing things for the crowds.

A lot of momentum given back after a lead established.

Commentators for Edm vs COL looking pretty amateur not recognizing that on the 3rd COL goal the puck enters the zone, Nikushin is offside BUT tags up BEFORE Makar enters the zone making it ONSIDE. 

Then to add insult to injury they say that the good goal call is “greyer than the distinct kicking motion call” against us. Learn the sport idiots. I however don’t mind the frenzy they’re going to cause the fans of Oiler nation who also don’t know how offsides work!

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

50 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Commentators for Edm vs COL looking pretty amateur not recognizing that on the 3rd COL goal the puck enters the zone, Nikushin is offside BUT tags up BEFORE Makar enters the zone making it ONSIDE. 

Then to add insult to injury they say that the good goal call is “greyer than the distinct kicking motion call” against us. Learn the sport idiots. I however don’t mind the frenzy they’re going to cause the fans of Oiler nation who also don’t know how offsides work!

Not to disagree, but I believe the replay showed that Makar entered the zone before he tagged up.

The reason why it was a goal was that it was pushed in and not under control.

The panel didn't know what to say, but Friedman contacted some video judges.

They confirmed it would have been a good goal no matter when.

And then it was 7-4.

Not sure what happened Kuemper.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not to disagree, but I believe the replay showed that Makar entered the zone before he tagged up.

The reason why it was a goal was that it was pushed in and not under control.

The panel didn't know what to say, but Friedman contacted some video judges.

They confirmed it would have been a good goal no matter when.

And then it was 7-4.

Not sure what happened Kuemper.

I think you’re saying the same thing I am. The puck went in first. Makar’s body entered the zone after Nikushkin tagged up. Because Makar didn’t touch the puck (control) before Nikushkin tagged up, it’s now onside. 

Are the Oilers up 7-4? Man alive… I hit the can, the wife put on her own show, and I planned to continue watching the game after. 😂 Nuts! 

Just now, LouCifer said:

I think you’re saying the same thing I am. The puck went in first. Makar’s body entered the zone after Nikushkin tagged up. Because Makar didn’t touch the puck (control) before Nikushkin tagged up, it’s now onside. 

Are the Oilers up 7-4? Man alive… I hit the can, the wife put on her own show, and I planned to continue watching the game after. 😂 Nuts! 

Yeah, I missed a part of what you said.

Good old Ron Mac splained it.

I get a little mixed up on the rules, but Woody doesn't get it.

Personally, the refs usually get it right the first time.

I hate the Double Spend challenge on the goal.

And no, this is not even close to the Coleman goal/no goal.

May ultimately have the same result, but our call was trash.

Colie Campbell had the final say and said he was right.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The calls even out.

The Coleman goal should have counted.

That should have been offside. The NHL is gonna open a can of worms where they'll have to determine if a players stick is off the ice on entrys like that.

I am yet to see the linesmen get an offside call wrong on review.

Every other call is so called experts in TO.

Subject to the instructions they get before the playoffs.

And the way they look at a replay.

They see intent, which is not conclusive.

They think he meant to kick it, so they see a kick.

The goalie interference ones should be easy, but they go either way.

The high stick ones, well we don't see angles they do.

I keep thinking back to Darryl Sutter’s comment that you can’t win a cup when your strategy is to out score the other team. Being able to defend shifts the balance of power. Tonight, EDM couldn’t out score their deficiencies, and the Avs had some great defensive plays to secure the win. 

national hockey league laughing GIF by Colorado Avalanche

4 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I keep thinking back to Darryl Sutter’s comment that you can’t win a cup when your strategy is to out score the other team. Being able to defend shifts the balance of power. Tonight, EDM couldn’t out score their deficiencies, and the Avs had some great defensive plays to secure the win. 

national hockey league laughing GIF by Colorado Avalanche

The loss of Kuemper was tough, and resulted in maybe a closer game than it should have been.

The typical call for McD after he cross checks a guy to the ice and no call at all.

He's even holding him down to avoid being in the way of the point shot.

But EDM needs to get called out for the picks.

They do it every play.

Sometimes not so obvious, but they skate past a guy moving forwatf to defend.

The refs told them to watch it, but they got worse.

Now that they left Smith in for 6, how does he get the net back?

He should, so they can bury him again.

He's about 1/2 second behind on shots near the glove.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The loss of Kuemper was tough, and resulted in maybe a closer game than it should have been.

The typical call for McD after he cross checks a guy to the ice and no call at all. He's even holding him down to avoid being in the way of the point shot.

But EDM needs to get called out for the picks.

They do it every play.

Sometimes not so obvious, but they skate past a guy moving forwatf to defend.

The refs told them to watch it, but they got worse.

Now that they left Smith in for 6, how does he get the net back?

He should, so they can bury him again.

He's about 1/2 second behind on shots near the glove.

Agreed on all counts TD! 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

This one was much much much worse than the Coleman goal.  The Coleman goal came down to opinion.  Subjective interpretation.  Offside however, is not a matter of opinion.  The guy was offside, period.  There's not even 1% chance to argue the other way.

The rules aren't exactly clear are they?

How is control determined?

Backing in with the puck is under control, unless you haven't really reeled it in. 

Pushing the puck across the line and then the other player tags up.

Not really control, more like a tip in.

It's considered a delayed offside until all players are cleared.

The other player was before Makar's skates crossed the blue line.

Had he been pushing the puck with his stick contacting the puck, it would be different.

I remember an exact play with the Flames where the situation was identical.

This was a couple of years ago.

May have been the AVS.

The whistle didn't blow, they scored and it was a simple review that we lost.

Maybe I don't agree with the rule, but it is what it is.

The best parts of the game was chasing Smith and putting in the guy that is leaving for Europe, and the smug little troll getting burned on the call.  They made the call to review without considering the rule.  Just watch the player offside.  The video coach didn't consider the possibility of losing a call.  Coach had no choice but to challenge.

One goal off the play and one off the challenge penalty.

What does he say after the game?  We hung 6 on their goalies.  In their barn.  Sound familiar.  Outscore outscore.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This one was much much much worse than the Coleman goal.  The Coleman goal came down to opinion.  Subjective interpretation.  Offside however, is not a matter of opinion.  The guy was offside, period.  There's not even 1% chance to argue the other way.

Sorry Peeps but you are worng.  Totally onside.  I though Makar had the puck so yeah Offside but as he is not touching the puck this allows the  player to tag up.

Makar is allowed to go in and score.

Zebras got it correct.

Anyways it was against the oil so who gives a crap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Sorry Peeps but you are worng.  Totally onside.  I though Makar had the puck so yeah Offside but as he is not touching the puck this allows the  player to tag up.

Makar is allowed to go in and score.

Zebras got it correct.

Anyways it was against the oil so who gives a crap.

Had it been us in game 5 that had that one be the go-ahead for the Oilers, I would have been mad.  But, it's also possible that Sutter doesn't challenge.  The rules are da rules and he touched the puck once about 5 feet out then again once the other player tagged up.  Forward motion of the puck.  The linesmen watch that type of play every night they ref.  Chip in, control/no control, tag up, and mostly only miss the skate in the air thing, which is a little picky.

Since this doesn't go to TO, they are only calling it back if they feel they missed something like a skate.  

Smith was bad.  Kuemper looked like he was struggling a bit and the back up was okay, but not outstanding.

AVS need to do a better job since this was a runaway and only close because of chances allowed and goaltending.  Francouz is a decent goalie, but they did make it hard on him.