2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Is it a goal because Smitty touched it after the high stick? 

Needs to get possession to negate the high stick I think.  Close call... Probably 1mm too high and above the cross bar.  Too close to over turn the call on the ice...

...just like the Coleman "kick" was too close to call and should not have been definitive enough to over turn the call on the ice.

Referees turning hockey into a judged sport.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Needs to get possession to negate the high stick I think.  Close call... Probably 1mm too high and above the cross bar.  Too close to over turn the call on the ice...

...just like the Coleman "kick" was too close to call and should not have been definitive enough to over turn the call on the ice.

Referees turning hockey into a judged sport.

I was shocked that it went to review.  But I didn't see the tip until they showed teams still watching the replay.

The angle they used in the replays which looked close obviously had a bit of parallax in it, since the only true viewing angle is on the ice.  The refs on the ice had the best angle and felt it was a good goal.  Almost impossible to refute.  It was a quick review, so they saw something that justified it and didn't want to look at other evidence.

I don't think anyone is really upset with the call.  Wasn't a game 7.  50/50 at best with the tie going to the call on the ice.  

HNIC crew got a great shot at it. Important to note that because the puck didn't go directly in the net the point of reference is not the crossbar it's his shoulders. From every angle I've seen I don't see how that was above his shoulders. 

Made sense to review but it was the correct call and honesty i don't even see how it came be controversial. It's an easy call and one they got right IMO. 

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

2-minute unsportsmanlike conduct for Koharski there LOL

I see the US broadcasts are following the NFL's lead by having a former ref as a "rules analyst", is he the best they can do.  I feel his whole reffing career is defined by "have another donut you fat pig".  Let me guess Fraser does ESPN games. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great NYR-TBay series. Both teams solid at home and getting great goaltending.

Is Kucherov still the best player in the league?

Always find myself saying, "uh-oh, the Kucherov Show is starting".

I know McDavid is the most explosive with the puck, but bundling up all of the skills, I think Kucherov is still the most dynamic. Plus, he's pretty funny when he's on the drink.lol

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Great NYR-TBay series. Both teams solid at home and getting great goaltending.

Is Kucherov still the best player in the league?

Always find myself saying, "uh-oh, the Kucherov Show is starting".

I know McDavid is the most explosive with the puck, but bundling up all of the skills, I think Kucherov is still the most dynamic. Plus, he's pretty funny when he's on the drink.lol

McBoring off the ice.  Assuming he is a firey guy on the ice with other players, but is he good in the room when things don't go his way?  I am glad that the Oils are done, because they have to be the worst bunch of guys to interview.  At least Smith was fun.  He was a Molotov Cocktail about to be thrown.  Almost like he was daring anyone to say he was the reason they lost.  About the only interesting guy top listen to after games.        

Agreed on both counts fellas. 

Question to the group: Kucherov is a dynamic, intelligent player no doubt. I'd like to know what you all think of Pastrnak in comparison. I've always viewed them as similar, but Pastrnak as a Kucherov "lite". With Pasta rumored to be on the block, and a legit right-handed RW, do we have any interest in him? I know he has a M-NTC / NMC so do you think he'd be interested in us? 

I'm fabricating a Chucky trade for Pasta here in my mind, and I feel a lot of good dominoes can happen if we acquire him. 

• Boston also doesn't have a lot of cap space, so they would have to want Chucky really bad to entertain a deal like this.
  • We have to watch out for the fact that Pasta has 1 more year left at $6.667M and then he's a UFA. A discussion about re-signing has to take place
  • The extra year on Pasta's contract buys us time for the Looch contract (and potentially Mony contract if we can't move him this offseason) to come off our books. Read: more cap space opens up at the end of his contract.
  • Pasta could make Toff expendable (read: trade)
  • We could potentially roll with a top line that includes Mange as Chucky's replacement, and Pasta being a force on line 2 with whichever 2C we pickup... or
  •  We could entertain putting Pasta on the top line with Johnny to overwhelm the opposition

Lastly, if Forsberg has any interest in signing with us (Swedish connection or something), then the trade above is moot. It's better to pickup Forsberg as a UFA for no assets and cash only, and then use Chucky in a separate trade as detailed earlier (like 2OA, picks, prospects, etc) 

Thoughts? 

Edit:

Another suggestion - PK Subban. Playing under Sutter, and assuming he can be had for a deal of a contract, would we be interested in his services regarding PP and offence from the backend for next season? 

10 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Agreed on both counts fellas. 

Question to the group: Kucherov is a dynamic, intelligent player no doubt. I'd like to know what you all think of Pastrnak in comparison. I've always viewed them as similar, but Pastrnak as a Kucherov "lite". With Pasta rumored to be on the block, and a legit right-handed RW, do we have any interest in him? I know he has a M-NTC / NMC so do you think he'd be interested in us? 

I'm fabricating a Chucky trade for Pasta here in my mind, and I feel a lot of good dominoes can happen if we acquire him. 

• Boston also doesn't have a lot of cap space, so they would have to want Chucky really bad to entertain a deal like this.
  • We have to watch out for the fact that Pasta has 1 more year left at $6.667M and then he's a UFA. A discussion about re-signing has to take place
  • The extra year on Pasta's contract buys us time for the Looch contract (and potentially Mony contract if we can't move him this offseason) to come off our books. Read: more cap space opens up at the end of his contract.
  • Pasta could make Toff expendable (read: trade)
  • We could potentially roll with a top line that includes Mange as Chucky's replacement, and Pasta being a force on line 2 with whichever 2C we pickup... or
  •  We could entertain putting Pasta on the top line with Johnny to overwhelm the opposition

Lastly, if Forsberg has any interest in signing with us (Swedish connection or something), then the trade above is moot. It's better to pickup Forsberg as a UFA for no assets and cash only, and then use Chucky in a separate trade as detailed earlier (like 2OA, picks, prospects, etc) 

Thoughts? 

Edit:

Another suggestion - PK Subban. Playing under Sutter, and assuming he can be had for a deal of a contract, would we be interested in his services regarding PP and offence from the backend for next season? 

Other places to discuss

Interesting story in the National Post about streaming games.  I hope it doesn't extend to next season....

OTTAWA — A Federal Court judge has granted three broadcasters the “unprecedented” ability to require all major Canadian internet providers to block access in real-time to web pages illegally streaming National Hockey League games for the rest of the season.

The new ruling is about to make it much, much harder for Canadians without a cable subscription to watch the rest of the NHL playoffs on illegal streaming websites.  In a May 27 ruling, the Federal Court granted plaintiffs Rogers, Bell and Quebecor — who hold exclusive NHL broadcasting rights in Canada — a never-before-used tool to fight websites who steal their streams called a “dynamic site blocking” order.

In short, the court granted them the temporary ability to force all other major internet service providers (ISP) to block access in real time to web pages hosting unauthorized NHL streams during games until the end of the current Stanley Cup playoffs, likely by the end of June.

The order stems from a perennial issue plaguing major broadcasters who pay millions of dollars to the NHL for exclusive broadcasting rights for games in Canada: illegal online streams run by “pirates” and watched by thousands of people, who are not paying for a subscription to authorized streaming or cable providers.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Simply copy and paste to the Offseason Thread.  It's a good discussion to have, but I don't want to go down a rabbit hole here.

Oops! I thought I was in the offseason thread! My bad, too many tabs open lol. I'll post it there. Thanks TD! 

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting story in the National Post about streaming games.  I hope it doesn't extend to next season....

OTTAWA — A Federal Court judge has granted three broadcasters the “unprecedented” ability to require all major Canadian internet providers to block access in real-time to web pages illegally streaming National Hockey League games for the rest of the season.

The new ruling is about to make it much, much harder for Canadians without a cable subscription to watch the rest of the NHL playoffs on illegal streaming websites.  In a May 27 ruling, the Federal Court granted plaintiffs Rogers, Bell and Quebecor — who hold exclusive NHL broadcasting rights in Canada — a never-before-used tool to fight websites who steal their streams called a “dynamic site blocking” order.

In short, the court granted them the temporary ability to force all other major internet service providers (ISP) to block access in real time to web pages hosting unauthorized NHL streams during games until the end of the current Stanley Cup playoffs, likely by the end of June.

The order stems from a perennial issue plaguing major broadcasters who pay millions of dollars to the NHL for exclusive broadcasting rights for games in Canada: illegal online streams run by “pirates” and watched by thousands of people, who are not paying for a subscription to authorized streaming or cable providers.

Should be fun to watch them try. There are a ton of build options. Loop trial subscriptions, done deal. A LOT of options.

They'll put their best on it and hackers kill time having fun with it.

Just now, conundrumed said:

Should be fun to watch them try. There are a ton of build options. Loop trial subscriptions, done deal. A LOT of options.

They'll put their best on it and hackers kill time having fun with it.

Blocked at the source is harder to hack no doubt.  But, I am not a security expert in getting past that kind of block.  I may or may not have used a site that could easily be made unavailable by a ISP.  It's notorious for finding ways around copyright violations.  

It's a sign of the times where companies are finding ways of getting their agendas turned into law.  I don't even want to go there with some proposed legislation in Canada.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Sounds like the beginning of censorship in Canada, and the beginning of the end of freedom of speech. It starts with "just blocking for the NHL" and turns into "police the internet according to the provider and/or highest bidder". At what point do we revolt? It's not going to stop at "streaming". 

• Like 1

Crazy stat and the odds of it continuing were pretty high were pretty high at the start of the playoffs.

Calgary - Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lucic, Backlund, Stone, and Gudbranson

Florida - Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Bennett, Giroux, Weegar

Boston- Marchand, Bergeron, Lazar

Edmonton- Kulak, Smith

St. Louis - Schenn, Krug

Minnesota - Goligoski, Bjugstad

Nashville - Rittich

Dallas - Benn, Seguin

Carolina - Trochek

Pittsburgh - Matheson

Toronto - Simmonds, Brodie, Giordano

Washington - Hathaway

Although no players who were teammates will be playing.  Gerard Gallant did coach Jagr, and two assistants for Tampa were former Jagr teammates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I wonder in the future if Youtube can buy the rights to broadcast the NHL, or any sport for that matter.  Viewers get the product for free.  Youtube gets to serve ads to the viewer.  I would even extend this to allow re-broadcasting of games within the YouTube platform... like, the main game will be broadcasted with no play-by-play and no commentating.  Meanwhile, Networks can create their own YouTube Channels to simultaneously broadcast the game with play-by-play and commentating.  Ad revenue will be shared between Youtube and the Network channels.  No limit on re-broadcasting within the platform so even any one of us can start a Youtube Channel and do play-by-play and commentating.  Let the best channel win.  No matter what, YouTube would win.

If the technology is done right, then Youtube can setup dozens of cameras all over every rink and let the users choose which camera to watch and stuff.  There may need to be some sort of puck tracking device so the cameras can follow the play.  Youtube doesn't even need to send any employees to any of the arenas during broadcasts.

47 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder in the future if Youtube can buy the rights to broadcast the NHL, or any sport for that matter.  Viewers get the product for free.  Youtube gets to serve ads to the viewer.  I would even extend this to allow re-broadcasting of games within the YouTube platform... like, the main game will be broadcasted with no play-by-play and no commentating.  Meanwhile, Networks can create their own YouTube Channels to simultaneously broadcast the game with play-by-play and commentating.  Ad revenue will be shared between Youtube and the Network channels.  No limit on re-broadcasting within the platform so even any one of us can start a Youtube Channel and do play-by-play and commentating.  Let the best channel win.  No matter what, YouTube would win.

If the technology is done right, then Youtube can setup dozens of cameras all over every rink and let the users choose which camera to watch and stuff.  There may need to be some sort of puck tracking device so the cameras can follow the play.  Youtube doesn't even need to send any employees to any of the arenas during broadcasts.

I think it gets complicated with the markets.  I never agreed that a Flames fan can't watch a stupid hockey game outside of Alberta, even though the channels are broadcasting them.  Just so dumb.  NHL is all about money, so any U-tube stuff would probably fall under the new internet act.  Somehow prevent it without large payments.   

15 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That is a great idea Peeps! If they could figure out a way to make it more profitable than the current setup, then it may eventually see the light of day. Youtube is one of the main platforms of the youth. It would make sense to make hockey more accessible to them. 

Oh boy. I don't condone this, but I can tell everyone here very clearly.

Do not go to the visitors rink, walk out with an emotional win, and trash talk everyone. Especially in the US.

I will guarantee you, you are heightening the situation.

Never, ever do this. Be respectful. "Good game, you guys are giving us all we can take. We got lucky. You guys have a great team".

Don't ever do this. I've been home and away Detroit vs Chicago and nobody, but nobody, rubs salt in wounds. It's very dangerous thing to do.

As I said, I don't condone the reaction. But don't Blockchaining invite it, because you WILL find it.

Keep your mouth shut or just be really nice.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Oh boy. I don't condone this, but I can tell everyone here very clearly.

Do not go to the visitors rink, walk out with an emotional win, and trash talk everyone. Especially in the US.

I will guarantee you, you are heightening the situation.

Never, ever do this. Be respectful. "Good game, you guys are giving us all we can take. We got lucky. You guys have a great team".

Don't ever do this. I've been home and away Detroit vs Chicago and nobody, but nobody, rubs salt in wounds. It's very dangerous thing to do.

As I said, I don't condone the reaction. But don't Blockchaining invite it, because you WILL find it.

Keep your mouth shut or just be really nice.

Tampa fan is alright and up in the series 3-2, New York fan is facing elimination, charges and banishment from attending anything in the greatest sports and entertainment venue in North America.  Dumbass.