2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs - All Team Discussion Thread

30 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Awesome isn't it? I was watching the ESPN feed and they were all taking Makar, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Toews... the way Kadri was playing last night - getting tossed around, getting back up, and plowing through - he was my pick going into OT and he did it! Happy for him. 

Looks like Cooper is trying to stir up some controversy - he's a good coach. It appears an Avs player is still on the ice (getting on the bench and not involved in the play) when Kadri gets possession of the puck. Coop is saying it's too many men and the goal should not have counted. Let's be real for a second here Coop... c'mon. Now, I'd agree he has a valid gripe only if the player at the bench was replaced by Kadri himself, and only if Kadri got involved in that final play while the player was still more than 5 feet away from the bench... otherwise, go fly a kite. We're not outlawing changing on the fly here. 

Not Quite. Kadri came on too early and had possession of the puck 20' from where the changing player was. It's a valid gripe. But it's still a whole bunch of whatever, this is the NHL. You'd have to be a child to think that it's ever fair.

I want the refs to be "hands off" and they pretty much were.

Now it's a question of how TBay can play desperate hockey in the thin air of Denver.

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not Quite. Kadri came on too early and had possession of the puck 20' from where the changing player was. It's a valid gripe. But it's still a whole bunch of whatever, this is the NHL. You'd have to be a child to think that it's ever fair.

I want the refs to be "hands off" and they pretty much were.

Now it's a question of how TBay can play desperate hockey in the thin air of Denver.

How about the kicked in goal?  Guess it's only okay in the case of a cup fave.

I didn't think it was kicked in, but it's not consistent reffing.

And the same bozos that reffed for us are still in the game.

Some of them at least.

The NHL reward poor reffing.

I'm okay with letting a lot of stuff go.

I'm not okay when it is game management and help/hurts one team.

It's a valid gripe for sure as this angle shows. Kardri is out of the frame before you even see Mackinnon and that would make him well outside of 5 feet. Letter of the law says this is too many men. 

I'm not really seeing this as that controversial though. yes it culd have been a penalty but the situation gets called both ways and is a judgement call by the official. I'm not sure this really created an unfair advantage for the Avs so while you can certainly argue it's a miss I don't feel it's an egregious one as it really amounts to a sloppy line change (and funny enough if you look at the play Tampa also has more than 5 on the ice). Looks pretty bad though. 

I actually thought the bigger missed call was the hook by Landeskog in front of his own net. Clearly got the stick in the hands and parallel to take away a scoring chance so if your made about a call i'd be more made about that one. 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's a valid gripe for sure as this angle shows. Kardri is out of the frame before you even see Mackinnon and that would make him well outside of 5 feet. Letter of the law says this is too many men. 

I'm not really seeing this as that controversial though. yes it culd have been a penalty but the situation gets called both ways and is a judgement call by the official. I'm not sure this really created an unfair advantage for the Avs so while you can certainly argue it's a miss I don't feel it's an egregious one. Looks pretty bad though. 

I actually thought the bigger missed call was the hook by Landeskog in front of his own net. Clearly got the stick in the hands and parallel to take away a scoring chance so if your made about a call i'd be more made about that one. 

It's the norm in the NHL. Many Flames fans feel so hard done by and scream conspiracy.lol

The other 31 teams feel the same way. Is what it is.

If you don't wanna feel raped by officiating and "game mgmt" and the like, don't put yourself in that position.

If you do, oh well. Come-see come-saw. Everyone knows the potential. This isn't new.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's the norm in the NHL. Many Flames fans feel so hard done by and scream conspiracy.lol

If you don't wanna feel raped by officiating and "game mgmt" and the like, don't put yourself in that position.

If you do, oh well. Come-see come-saw. Everyone knows the potential. This isn't new.

Missed calls are always going to be complained about.  A linesman letting go too many men, where the player coming off doesn't attempt to touch the puck, well it happens.  The more annoying ones are a botched call at one end that leads to a goal the other way.  In that case, the only way the play develops is due to the missed infraction. 

Really, if the calls are consistent, the complaints have less noise.  It's the finals and you can't call everything.  Set a standard and stick to it.   

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Really, if the calls are consistent, the complaints have less noise.  It's the finals and you can't call everything.  Set a standard and stick to it.   

There's a huge human factor. Do we really want cameras and AI reffing?

I'd rather deal with some mistakes and refs know the tenor of each player. It's a tradeoff maybe.

Sometimes a light penalty is due to the player. It's not an easy gig. Like players, they're not robots.

They have to read the tenor of the game and who the Hash Rate are.

Back to human factor...

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There's a huge human factor. Do we really want cameras and AI reffing?

I'd rather deal with some mistakes and refs know the tenor of each player. It's a tradeoff maybe.

Sometimes a light penalty is due to the player. It's not an easy gig. Like players, they're not robots.

They have to read the tenor of the game and who the Hash Rate are.

Back to human factor...

The fans in the rinks complain about everything.

MTL is probably the worst.

I have no real issue with the linesmen.

That is such a difficult job.

They are really good at seeing what's there.

They get overturned by chintzy challenges that most of the time are really close.

I have seen good reffing and really bad reffing this playoff season.

I think this series is a lot more even.

Other series were a joke.

Sure, they are reading the tone of the game, but sometimes it's not even close.

That is what it is.

The bigger issues seem to be TO making poor choices.

Whether it's hits to head, suspensions or overturning calls, they need to clean it up.

Figure out what kicking means.

Set the standards for what is goalie interference.

High stick is so much harder, just go with the refs.

They at least have an angle.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I agree. There is a human element to officiating and the game that should not be overly policed. Some are calling for expanding video review now which I think is crap. I don't think for a second this situation cost the Lightning the game. 

The only thing I want to see with NHL officiating is to keep the standard consistent and stop having the "can't call a penalty at this point" idea. Like the call on Landeskog, I don't care it's late in the Stanley Cup finals it's a penalty so call it. 

Outside of that I don't think the officiating is near as bad as it gets made out to be. It's subjective an always will be but that's pro sports and is no different in other sports. 

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Perhaps I am wrong. Are we saying that Kadri came on to replace MacKinnon? If so, then I understand. I didn't think MacKinnon was going off for Kadri and therein lies my error. 

It would appear to be that way. Mackinnon is the only player who comes towards the bench after Kadri jumps on. 

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Looks like we have ourselves a series. Hopefully a gm 7. I've run out of superlatives for Kucherov, damn he's fun to watch.

If COL had a halfway decent goalie, this would have been over last night.

Kuemper on the Ruuta goal, yikes.

As it stands, this is one of the closer series I have seen.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If COL had a halfway decent goalie, this would have been over last night.

Kuemper on the Ruuta goal, yikes.

As it stands, this is one of the closer series I have seen.

We did the patio party at my place because it's, well, 30C on the regular now. I always missed the night-time lows of 24 when I lived in Calgary. Let's go jump in the lake at 2am.lol

Annnywaay, when Kucherov scored on the 4-on-3 I was saying, "man, I don't like that taking away from all of the great saves Kuemper just made, but it does".

Kuemper is playing well. He's not Vasilevsky and was never going to be, but he's playing well. You can say the same for the Nichushkin goal, Vasi shoulda had Makar's shot.

To imply Kuemper isn't half-way decent isn't fair at all. If the Avs lose, it won't be Kuemper's fault.

As I said, Kucherov's goal erased all of his great work prior to it. On that goal, the shot was perfect and Perry had a total screen on Kuemper.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're cheering for the Avs? I've been seeing too much blame given to Kuemper from people cheering for the Avs.

I don't have a horse in this race, this is just great hockey with tons of great players to watch.

Really, why not blame MacKinnon for not lighting it right up. Can't blame him either. Both of these teams have a ton of danger all over. No one's gonna run right over anyone, this is great hockey.

I am not really cheering fo the AVS as much as cheering againt the Bolts.

Must be frustrating fo the AVS to lose a close one.

The difference really being just one goal.

A ton of pressure and Vas managed almost all of it.

Kuemper wasn't trash, but was the 2nd best out there.

In close games it comes down to not scoring and being scored against.

Petty simplistic.

TBH, I just wanted an end to the season with the Bolts dethroned.

Dumping on the goalie isn't just.

He wasn;t the reason just a reason.

Ah, 30 degrees.  Get that once in a blue moon for a stretch of a couple of weeks in NS.

EDM?  Well, I guess it happens.  Not as cool at night normally as Calgary, except, eh um, right now.

But, as they say, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.

Blech.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I am not really cheering fo the AVS as much as cheering againt the Bolts.

Must be frustrating fo the AVS to lose a close one.

The difference really being just one goal.

A ton of pressure and Vas managed almost all of it.

Kuemper wasn't trash, but was the 2nd best out there.

In close games it comes down to not scoring and being scored against.

Petty simplistic.

TBH, I just wanted an end to the season with the Bolts dethroned.

Dumping on the goalie isn't just.

He wasn;t the reason just a reason.

Ah, 30 degrees.  Get that once in a blue moon for a stretch of a couple of weeks in NS.

EDM?  Well, I guess it happens.  Not as cool at night normally as Calgary, except, eh um, right now.

But, as they say, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.

Blech.

Love the song, never really considered applying it geographically.lol

I've done a coupla East Coast hollering days. Love it. Loved settling into a cabin on St. Marg's Bay. My go-to. Halfway from Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove, close enough to Halifax, great parks, etc.

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Love the song, never really considered applying it geographically.lol

I've done a coupla East Coast hollering days. Love it. Loved settling into a cabin on St. Marg's Bay. My go-to. Halfway from Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove, close enough to Halifax, great parks, etc.

Moving gets to be a big deal later in life.  Made the switch about 12 years ago, for career reasons.  22 years at same job, needed a change.  As much as I loved living there in the past, council is overrun by wokeness.  Cave in to every special interest group.  Solve society problems by listening to one small group.  Everyone suffers.  Close to one of the most expensive areas to rent in.  In Canada.  Turn downtown into a bike lane.  Move homeless to municipal parks since they were tied of people sleeping in the city green areas.  Unemployed don't want to work because they miss out on the perks of not working.  Food costs through the roof, and I am just comparing it to Alberta.  Rant rant.  I shant be going back to live there.  

On 6/25/2022 at 11:23 AM, travel_dude said:

Moving gets to be a big deal later in life.  Made the switch about 12 years ago, for career reasons.  22 years at same job, needed a change.  As much as I loved living there in the past, council is overrun by wokeness.  Cave in to every special interest group.  Solve society problems by listening to one small group.  Everyone suffers.  Close to one of the most expensive areas to rent in.  In Canada.  Turn downtown into a bike lane.  Move homeless to municipal parks since they were tied of people sleeping in the city green areas.  Unemployed don't want to work because they miss out on the perks of not working.  Food costs through the roof, and I am just comparing it to Alberta.  Rant rant.  I shant be going back to live there.  

you lived in Vancouver? 
I think it’s tough when the kinds of jobs they can get might equate to what they’d get on social assistance. I understand what you mean, and your thoughts on it. But I think it’s reciprocated. 

like you say, the homeless, a lot that should have been in an institution that was shut down, and others with so much trauma that they have kids and then pass the trauma to their kids. It becomes a vicious circle. I work in an elementary school in the Downtown Eastside and get to see what these kids go through everyday. It’s sad and hurts to see them go through that. They find their parents overdosed in tent city. They see kids stabbed by other kids. This year alone we had 4 parents die of an OD. Kids are anywhere between age 5-12. 

they tend to end up in foster care in a system that supports them. Some great caring foster parents… but they don’t have the supports in after they turn 18, and yet still have to deal with all of the trauma that relates to their childhood. It’s rough! Think of the worst thing a kid should experience and times it by so much more. It’s a horror show sometimes. 

when they get through it, and see them succeed, it’s the best feeling! When you see history repeating itself it hurts because no matter how hard we try, it happens and we can see it as they grow up, we can tell as they go onto high school. 

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

you lived in Vancouver? 
I think it’s tough when the kinds of jobs they can get might equate to what they’d get on social assistance. I understand what you mean, and your thoughts on it. But I think it’s reciprocated. 

like you say, the homeless, a lot that should have been in an institution that was shut down, and others with so much trauma that they have kids and then pass the trauma to their kids. It becomes a vicious circle. I work in an elementary school in the Downtown Eastside and get to see what these kids go through everyday. It’s sad and hurts to see them go through that. They find their parents overdosed in tent city. They see kids stabbed by other kids. This year alone we had 4 parents die of an OD. Kids are anywhere between age 5-12. 

they tend to end up in foster care in a system that supports them. Some great caring foster parents… but they don’t have the supports in after they turn 18, and yet still have to deal with all of the trauma that relates to their childhood. It’s rough! Think of the worst thing a kid should experience and times it by so much more. It’s a horror show sometimes. 

when they get through it, and see them succeed, it’s the best feeling! When you see history repeating itself it hurts because no matter how hard we try, it happens and we can see it as they grow up, we can tell as they go onto high school. 

Hahaha, no my home was in a province that became one of the most expensive areas to live.  The average wage is much lower and rents high, so the buying power is well below almost everywhere else.  Getting worse every month.  And they don't even have a carbon tax yet.

I don't really want to pivot in a playoff thread.  Somehow I got off topic.  Sorry.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hahaha, no my home was in a province that became one of the most expensive areas to live.  The average wage is much lower and rents high, so the buying power is well below almost everywhere else.  Getting worse every month.  And they don't even have a carbon tax yet.

I don't really want to pivot in a playoff thread.  Somehow I got off topic.  Sorry.

ya! It’s hard not to, things come to mind

Great end to a great series. One of the better cup finals i can remember in a while. So much speed, and flow to the game it was great to watch. 

Full marks to the Avs though, they are a damn good team, well built and deserved this one. I would have appreciated the Lightning pulling off a 3 peat but I think the right team won. I felt top to bottom Colorado was the best team in the league this year especially after their deadline moves. 

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Congrats to the Avs.  They deserved it this season... and arguably last season too.  Hate to see teams that tanked for a #1 pick eventually win a Cup because I know the Flames will never go that route.

They won a lottery for that #1 in a short season, they also traded their first round pick the previous season for a goalie because they thought they were close (could've taken an elite goalie had they kept the pick).  Don't know if I'd call them a tank, just a team that was good for so long that had to adjust to the salary cap and rebuild an aged out core.  The Avs from 2010-2015 really did a lot of things people criticize the Flames of doing with not fully committing to a rebuild, we have hindsight issues with the Elliott trade, they traded a 2nd to us for Reto Berra, they just won the right lottery and lost the right lottery.  Full marks to the organization, they hit rock bottom in 2017 they kept much of that core together and the staff and Mackinnon went from an underachiever to one of the best in the game.   

5 minutes ago, sak22 said:

They won a lottery for that #1 in a short season, they also traded their first round pick the previous season for a goalie because they thought they were close (could've taken an elite goalie had they kept the pick).  Don't know if I'd call them a tank, just a team that was good for so long that had to adjust to the salary cap and rebuild an aged out core.  The Avs from 2010-2015 really did a lot of things people criticize the Flames of doing with not fully committing to a rebuild, we have hindsight issues with the Elliott trade, they traded a 2nd to us for Reto Berra, they just won the right lottery and lost the right lottery.  Full marks to the organization, they hit rock bottom in 2017 they kept much of that core together and the staff and Mackinnon went from an underachiever to one of the best in the game.   

The Flames can call it, "no other choice because Gaudreau left via UFA" or whatever, right?  Let's not call it the T-word because I understand it triggers.

From the time the Avs drafted Landeskog #2 in 2011 to a Cup win now, it took 11 years.  Brutal right?  If that's how long it takes, do the Flames have that kind of commitment to follow the Avs blueprint?

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The Flames can call it, "no other choice because Gaudreau left via UFA" or whatever, right?  Let's not call it the T-word because I understand it triggers.

From the time the Avs drafted Landeskog #2 in 2011 to a Cup win now, it took 11 years.  Brutal right?  If that's how long it takes, do the Flames have that kind of commitment to follow the Avs blueprint?

I don't know that a rebuild is really an option.  The owners don't want it.  You say to them, hey we can have a better team in 5 years if we trade away most of the team.  The downside is we are going to look like the Young Guns.  

The AVS did it by picking the right D at the right time and following it up with smart drafting and trades.  A couple of 4th overalls didn't hurt and drafting Rantanen at 10 didn't either.  Byram and Newhook in the same draft is nice.  Trading Barrie for Kadri was a coup for them.