General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

On 11/1/2023 at 12:32 PM, robrob74 said:

Maybe they have done this already, but they should set parameters of what the punishment before breaking rules, but they tend to use teams as examples right off the hop. 

did Ottawa not provide that info intentionally? Did they understand the rules to change if he is dealt? And why wasn't it written in the contract that a team must be getting when trading for a player? Surely, paperwork is forwarded and the signed contract is sent to the VGK? Shouldn't it all be in the contract that gets transferred along with the player?

A no trade clause is written in to a contract yes but if it's a limited one (ie player submits a list like it was in this case) the list is not written into the contract because that info changes over time. These lists are not given to NHL Central Registry, in an effort to prevent them from leaking out, so it is up to the teams to manage it. As part of the trade call, which you can actually YouTube, it is process for the NHL to ask if there is No trade protection moving in the deal but Ottawa said no. They claimed they did not get a list and therefore the NTC was invalidated but Dadonov's agent was able to show them that they had indeed filled a No trade list with Ottawa and therefore the clause stood. Awfully hard to blame Vegas here. 

Intentional or not is irrelevant as Ottawa had a procedure to follow and they didn't. I think a 1st is a pretty steep penalty but something should have been done and I also agree Dorion has to be accountable. I think Dorion was a decent head of scouting but he was a major flop as a GM so I personally wouldn't be in a rush to hire him.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Is anyone....watching Ducks games? I've now watched 4.

Holy jesus on a bicycle are they ever fast and fun to watch with great goaltending.

Handed Boston their 1st loss (OT), just handed Vegas their first regulation loss.

They are looking for real rather than good start. Not an easy win anymore, at all.

Mason McTavish looking like a stud. High-flying offence and comeback kids looking similar to Detroit. No leads are safe, my fave kind of hockey, down and desperate.

The Flames need to start building this way. I am all for not rebuilding, if they decided to keep draft picks and place emphasis on speed and skill. There are finds deeper in a draft, so it's a matter of getting that right. This could be a bottom out year and build around what's left over. There were a few teams that turned it around faster. Dallas got lucky one year, and turned things around quickly. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

A no trade clause is written in to a contract yes but if it's a limited one (ie player submits a list like it was in this case) the list is not written into the contract because that info changes over time. These lists are not given to NHL Central Registry, in an effort to prevent them from leaking out, so it is up to the teams to manage it. As part of the trade call, which you can actually YouTube, it is process for the NHL to ask if there is No trade protection moving in the deal but Ottawa said no. They claimed they did not get a list and therefore the NTC was invalidated but Dadonov's agent was able to show them that they had indeed filled a No trade list with Ottawa and therefore the clause stood. Awfully hard to blame Vegas here. 

Intentional or not is irrelevant as Ottawa had a procedure to follow and they didn't. I think a 1st is a pretty steep penalty but something should have been done and I also agree Dorion has to be accountable. I think Dorion was a decent head of scouting but he was a major flop as a GM so I personally wouldn't be in a rush to hire him.

Why is it on Ottawa to submit a list when Dadonov's list could change over time? I am not defending Dorion, more critical of the punishment decision. It's just odd, players should have to submit the list to their current teams, as that players wishes could change. The onus should be on the current team, once the players is in play, they needed to ask the player whether they were on their list. Just my take. So to me, they did just as much wrong as Ottawa. I actually don't think Ottawa did anything wrong as the team that owns his contract should be following up with the Dadanov once they're in play. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Why is it on Ottawa to submit a list when Dadonov's list could change over time? I am not defending Dorion, more critical of the punishment decision. It's just odd, players should have to submit the list to their current teams, as that players wishes could change. The onus should be on the current team, once the players is in play, they needed to ask the player whether they were on their list. Just my take. So to me, they did just as much wrong as Ottawa. I actually don't think Ottawa did anything wrong as the team that owns his contract should be following up with the Dadanov once they're in play. 

The short answer is because that is the rule and policy outlined by the league. 

But to clarify, because of what Ottawa shared Vegas was under the belief that Dadonov had no trade protection in his deal. part of the limited No trade clause is that the player has a deadline to submit the list and if they miss the deadline, the clause is invalidated. What drove this situation is Vegas was told by Ottawa that Dadonov had no trade protection in his contract because the list wasn't submitted but in reality the agent did submit it but Ottawa didn't record it. 

It is a perfect or good system, probably not but Ottawa definitely went outside of what is very establish protocol here.  Can for sure debate whether this system is good or not, and IMO a no trade list should get filled with central registry, but as it stand today Ottawa clearly didn't follow procedure

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The short answer is because that is the rule and policy outlined by the league. 

But to clarify, because of what Ottawa shared Vegas was under the belief that Dadonov had no trade protection in his deal. part of the limited No trade clause is that the player has a deadline to submit the list and if they miss the deadline, the clause is invalidated. What drove this situation is Vegas was told by Ottawa that Dadonov had no trade protection in his contract because the list wasn't submitted but in reality the agent did submit it but Ottawa didn't record it. 

It is a perfect or good system, probably not but Ottawa definitely went outside of what is very establish protocol here.  Can for sure debate whether this system is good or not, and IMO a no trade list should get filled with central registry, but as it stand today Ottawa clearly didn't follow procedure

I guess that makes sense, ya. I sometimes don't think players should have trade restrictions. 

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Is anyone....watching Ducks games? I've now watched 4.

Holy jesus on a bicycle are they ever fast and fun to watch with great goaltending.

Handed Boston their 1st loss (OT), just handed Vegas their first regulation loss.

They are looking for real rather than good start. Not an easy win anymore, at all.

Mason McTavish looking like a stud. High-flying offence and comeback kids looking similar to Detroit. No leads are safe, my fave kind of hockey, down and desperate.

Gibson is the best goalie on a bad team.  If there was some way we could land him, we could get rid of our two current goalies.  If we could, trade Markstrom and Hanifin for him.  Or Vladar and Hanifin. 

But that doesn't make us any closer to the exciting style that ANA plays.  It just means we have to remake the D a bit and we have the best goalie behind us.    

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Gibson is the best goalie on a bad team.  If there was some way we could land him, we could get rid of our two current goalies.  If we could, trade Markstrom and Hanifin for him.  Or Vladar and Hanifin. 

But that doesn't make us any closer to the exciting style that ANA plays.  It just means we have to remake the D a bit and we have the best goalie behind us.    

I wonder how much Gudbranson was a part of the success that year. While not a great player, he was good in the Sutter System and kept the front of the net clear. While against faster teams, he was exposed, but there's something to be said about clearing the net for good sites. It allowed Markstrom to do his thing. 

I think Markstrom would be fine, but I wonder if losing Gud did more damage? Probably not, as losing Johnny and Tkachuk was a big deal. I also think it was a career year due to contracts, so there was something more to play for than the cup. Gud doesn't work for many coaches though.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:50 AM, sak22 said:

If the Sens don't pick it up soon I don't see how Dorion can keep that job much longer.

You know, this is the kind of thing that makes me angry with the league at times.

Remember a few years ago, when the Arizona Coyotes forfeited their 2020 second-round pick and 2021 first-round pick for violating the NHL’s combine testing policy? That seemed like a pretty substantial punishment. I am curious, how is it that the Chicago Blackhawks could win the most consequential draft lottery since McDavid less than a year after the news broke that they had a coach that was sexually assaulting a former first-round pick, and that furthermore, members of the staff, including the coach and GM at the time were aware of it?

Maybe it's a false equivalency. I hope so.

Love.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

You know, this is the kind of thing that makes me angry with the league at times.

Remember a few years ago, when the Arizona Coyotes forfeited their 2020 second-round pick and 2021 first-round pick for violating the NHL’s combine testing policy? That seemed like a pretty substantial punishment. I am curious, how is it that the Chicago Blackhawks could win the most consequential draft lottery since McDavid less than a year after the news broke that they had a coach that was sexually assaulting a former first-round pick, and that furthermore, members of the staff, including the coach and GM at the time were aware of it?

Maybe it's a false equivalency. I hope so.

Love.

Most leagues have different standards for different circumstances, usually if it involves cheating or breaking rules then the draft picks are used as punishment.  NFL for example, stripped the Patriots of draft picks over spygate and deflategate scandals, but the Washington Commanders has an ordeal for their workplace culture that included several cases of sexual harassment and discrimination and they were given the same type of punishment that the Blackhawks got.  The NCAA on the other hand gave severe punishment to Penn State for covering up Jerry Sandusky which did impact the on field product.  Its tough to say what is the right or wrong punishment, but the biggest tragedy isn't that the Blackhawks have Bedard, its that Brad Aldrich is not in prison today.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope only that the arrest was something that was unfounded.  Otherwise, Looch you have lost my respect.

Agreed, when I posted I didn't know he was arrested in what the new media states, wow....lets hope there is nothing to that, zero tolerance here on domestic abuse/violence.  

3 hours ago, medatswhoP said:

Agreed, when I posted I didn't know he was arrested in what the new media states, wow....lets hope there is nothing to that, zero tolerance here on domestic abuse/violence.  

In my lengthy tweet post, there was a bunch of different links and suggestions about the incident.

It's odd because Lucic is a family man and seemed like things were fine.

But you never know.

As I said, I won't trash him with just tweets and part stories.

Let it come out first.

I'll reserve judgment. I've heard the result, but what led up to the result isn't being discussed, as it rarely ever is.

Furthermore, I'm not defending him, but there are 2 parties involved, so I hope they can figure it out. Doubtful he just got drunk and said, "honey, you know it's spousal assault night".

Hopefully both can get counselling to address their methods of inflicting pain on each other. It rarely happens in a vacuum if mental health isn't the issue.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'll reserve judgment. I've heard the result, but what led up to the result isn't being discussed, as it rarely ever is.

Furthermore, I'm not defending him, but there are 2 parties involved, so I hope they can figure it out. Doubtful he just got drunk and said, "honey, you know it's spousal assault night".

Hopefully both can get counselling to address their methods of inflicting pain on each other. It rarely happens in a vacuum if mental health isn't the issue.

The police have very little discretion when it comes do DA calls.  Depending on the state, they may have to make an arrest if there is a he said-she said thing.  If the assaulted party says no, it's fine, they don't always let it go.  Might be under duress.  Or, they may feel they may face retribution.     

Anyway, I'm not saying either way.  Someone made a complaint and they acted on it.  If the prosecutors decide there is reason to proceed, then we will need to wait till the end.  Unfortunately, the public will decide long before that.  

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Now waived for the purpose of termination.  Who hasn't called the guy a mother Blockchainer at least once in the past 20 years?

He's like a douchier version of Tkachuk.  I always hated facing him in any game.  I think he overreached in his UFA signing money.  If you don't live up to it, things are gonna happen.

But CHI's statement is weird.  Not sure what he did, but sure sounds like he crossed some line.  If you play or coach in CHI, you better just not cross certain lines.  Everything else is fine.