General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

Just now, travel_dude said:

He's like a douchier version of Tkachuk.  I always hated facing him in any game.  I think he overreached in his UFA signing money.  If you don't live up to it, things are gonna happen.

But CHI's statement is weird.  Not sure what he did, but sure sounds like he crossed some line.  If you play or coach in CHI, you better just not cross certain lines.  Everything else is fine.

This is not one of them. NHL clubs have no grounds to terminate a contract based on performance. The only way for this to be an option is the Hawks have to feel that he violated his contract terms is some way shape or form. 

rumors' pretty silly and i'm sure people are having their fun but I think it's stupid personally. Now Bedard is going to have to address this for likely many weeks/months and why should he? Social media totally sucks. 

Best way to squash a rumour is through the truth.  I could give a rats Hash Rate about the guy as a person because he played an entire career of not giving a damn about the wellbeing of his opponents.  If Corey Perry did something wrong, he should own it and come forward, I won't be sad if his career is done, but the Bedard family doesn't deserve this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

Social media totally sucks. 

Social media is precisely what zero accountability would look like in society. Is sewage a strong enough word?

Yet everyone flocks to twitter, and "influencers" get rich. Why tf can they be described as "influencers"? Talk about bludgeoning a word. Why not, "Attention Whores"?

Kinda like calling an aggressive dog "reactive". Holy language twisting.

Is the avg IQ at an all-time low? It was never great to begin with.lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Social media is precisely what zero accountability would look like in society. Is sewage a strong enough word?

Yet everyone flocks to twitter, and "influencers" get rich. Why tf can they be described as "influencers"? Talk about bludgeoning a word. Why not, "Attention Whores"?

Kinda like calling an aggressive dog "reactive". Holy language twisting.

Is the avg IQ at an all-time low? It was never great to begin with.lol

In general, twitter was good as a source of what was happening outside of the tightly controlled media reporting.  There was a use for it.  So now there are really 2 extremes; the failure to report most and the rumor mill and agenda stuff.  Friedman is in between somehow?  I don't know.  It sounds more like "thoughts".  And we get stories that are approved by the NHL and media sponsors.  Hardly honesty in reporting.

I have a low tolerance for reality TV and FB and the like.  Dumbing down of the world into voyeurism and what is your hair status or what you ate for dinner.  

• 1 month later...

https://www.tsn.ca/video/7-eleven-that-s-hockey-morning-recap-reaves-vs-leafs~2852597

Will this get the Leafs in some do-do? Sounds a bit like salary cap circumcision. I mean circumvention...

Some players might be ok with being on LTIR and being able to play, while others not so much... Maybe the Leafs feel like aging and not being fleet of foot is a sickness or an injury. 

46 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/7-eleven-that-s-hockey-morning-recap-reaves-vs-leafs~2852597

Will this get the Leafs in some do-do? Sounds a bit like salary cap circumcision. I mean circumvention...

Some players might be ok with being on LTIR and being able to play, while others not so much... Maybe the Leafs feel like aging and not being fleet of foot is a sickness or an injury. 

That appears to be a mistake in reporting. Based on everything i've seen Reaves is on IR NOT LTIR. The Leafs are not saving any money on his contract they are just using the roster space

39 minutes ago, sak22 said:

2 in a matter of days, it has become hard not to speculate.  Hope its not connected, but also hoping for some answers eventually.

I would prefer that it points more to players from the team that had a lot more local players there.

London Knights.

But Hart was not a part of them, either was Dube.

Maybe it's just something that age group is going through.

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dots continue to connect on this one. Both of these dropped today

I have suspected there was a reason why he was not playing in Canada this year.

I do hope that the two players recently announcing personal leave are not for this reason.

Of the "likely suspects" for the squad, I thought Dube and Hart were the least likely.

Don't know why, but figured they both seemed to have good character.

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Think the dots are fully connected on this one. There is your 5 of 5. 

May there be a 6th, so that Dube's name won't be dragged into the mud.

At this point I don't hold out much hope.

Not a good look on the Flames if it turns out they knew of the reason for the mental health break.

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

May there be a 6th, so that Dube's name won't be dragged into the mud.

At this point I don't hold out much hope.

Not a good look on the Flames if it turns out they knew of the reason for the mental health break.

I agree.

Trying to give benefit of a doubt in the other thread.... And how it could be hard on mental health... But wow, if that is the reason. I get there is some mental health stuff, but that's not really what it should be... 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I agree.

Trying to give benefit of a doubt in the other thread.... And how it could be hard on mental health... But wow, if that is the reason. I get there is some mental health stuff, but that's not really what it should be... 

The Flames responses seem to indicate they were in the dark if it pans out that way.

Mental health was the discussion they had with him.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I agree.

It could be both, perhaps learning of this put him in a dangerous frame of mind.  Don't know, he could be both a criminal and one in current need of help.  Another thing that bothers me, and it adds to the long list of things I don't like about this person, is Seravalli outright denying any link between the investigation and Hart and Dube's leaves.  Even if he didn't know, say you don't know, but his ego is so large he can't even pretend that there are things going on that he doesn't know.

53 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It could be both, perhaps learning of this put him in a dangerous frame of mind.  Don't know, he could be both a criminal and one in current need of help.  Another thing that bothers me, and it adds to the long list of things I don't like about this person, is Seravalli outright denying any link between the investigation and Hart and Dube's leaves.  Even if he didn't know, say you don't know, but his ego is so large he can't even pretend that there are things going on that he doesn't know.

Here is the only things Dube has said to the media, either directly or through his agent.  Foote also issued a statement through his agent....

A year agio, this is what he said to the media:

“Since the beginning I’ve cooperated in any way possible,” said Dube. “I will continue to do that. With it going on, I wish I could share more, but that’s kind of all I can share up to this point.”

Also....

Dillon Dube, Toronto Star, July 18: his agent Dave Cowan told reporter Kevin McGran that “Dillon did not engage in any wrongdoing, and he co-operated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, through which all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.”

Cal Foote, May 30: His agent, Kurt Overhardt, also spoke with Ken Campbell, and is quoted as saying “Cal Foote was not involved in any way.”

None of the other 3 provided comment.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I wondered who would go first here.  Easier to save a season with a coaching change than a GM switch, but I'd put a leash on Blake this deadline season.

has Blake done a poor job?

other than the whole Dubois thing, I think they were on a good track? 

id never go for that kid. 

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

has Blake done a poor job?

other than the whole Dubois thing, I think they were on a good track? 

id never go for that kid. 

Personally I say no.  I think he inherited 2 HOF's from the original core and Kempe who has hit a new level the last couple years.  The Arvidsson trade was good, but unfortunate with injuries.  Danault signing was good, Fiala was a solid pickup.  But the PLD trade + contract is looking bad so far, Durzi trade is looking bad, Cal Peterson contract was horrible, goaltending as a whole hasn't been addressed.  Drafting overall I don't think has been too stellar some good picks, not many great ones and not a lot in the system now to be too excited about.  Seems like a team with an identity crisis, they looked like they wanted to get younger but keep the veteran leaders, but then went out and made a bunch of trades and free agent signings to win now instead.

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

I wondered who would go first here.  Easier to save a season with a coaching change than a GM switch, but I'd put a leash on Blake this deadline season.

Huh?  But the kings are playoff bound this season.  Why fire coach in the middle of the season?  What were the expectations?