The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Flames in 6 people. We've got this thing. The rope-a-dope things we do is terrifying, but here we are.

No one said it would be easy. Adjust to Dallas, adjust to Edmonton, adjust to Colo/St Loo.

It's the game. We'll get 'er done.

Keep the faith.

Has to be the oddest playoffs I can remember in some time.

Zebras setting their own direction.

Handing game 2 to the Oils.

Scorefest in 2 games.

Forget about the refs.

The bozos are gone and won't be back.

We have played our way to being the "underdogs" which is just fine.

We know how to play.

Let the Oil fans get over the top and think it's done.

Just get the split.

Valimaki returned to the Heat, so it's possible we see Tanev in game 4.

If he can go, then go 11-7 with Stone there to offset the minutes.

The PK has been good without him, so use him 5v5 if he's dressing.

Would likely add some stability to the pairs, and would show the young guys what compete means.

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Flames have never won a series when trailing 3-1. I can't think of a better opponent to rewrite the record book against.

The only times they have forced a game 7 from down 3-1 were 1984 and 1991 against you know who.

• Like 2

History is just old news.  While there have been things that we can't seem to get past, it's not a question of what we did in the past.  Haven't won a game 2 in forever.  Haven't won a first round series since 2015.  Last playoffs we came into the Dallas series and played great to start.  Less than a minute from going up 3-1 on the series, but ended up losing after 2 more games.  

Very fragile teams in the past.  We started with the worst and have some improvement.  We saw a mounted comeback that fell apart once we were even.  We are down 3-1 and haven't tapped into the things that made us a division winner.  Haven't had elite goaltending or even stable stuff.  We haven't had the top players impact the team.  The defense has been a mess at times.  Haven't had disciplined play throughout any game.  

And yet we still are 2 wins from tying the series.  EDM has faced little adversity this series.  Game one was not something that set the course of the series.  

Win one at home and one on the road.  Get to game 7 and live or die.  

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

The only times they have forced a game 7 from down 3-1 were 1984 and 1991 against you know who.

yes but we also forced game 7 OT in 1991 .. and led 3-0 after one ..

we win next game, the pressure flips to Edmonton ..only one team wants Game 7 

I fully believe we win Game 5, this is going 7 

and they night even be without Kane .. fingers crossed 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

yes but we also forced game 7 OT in 1991 .. and led 3-0 after one ..

we win next game, the pressure flips to Edmonton ..only one team wants Game 7 

I fully believe we win Game 5, this is going 7 

and they night even be without Kane .. fingers crossed 

I would not be surprised if his GF plays 2nd fiddle to the team in the playoff run.

He's such a class act.

They can use his absense though, should he decide to be a man.

They lose, it's an excuse.

They win, then the team is bigger than one player.

To your point, the home barn will be loud.

Fans will be cheering to beat the band.

It's why this team loves home games.

They want to give the fans an experience to remember.

Whether it's enough, there won't be any passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Carty said:

Feeling some positivity tonight, because the Coilers just got swept in 4 straight... and I will be smiling for days about that... 

The balance of the world has returned.

Dogs and cats no longer living together.

Fire and Brimstone no longer raining from the skies.

I would have loved a CGY-COL series, but that has to wait.

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The balance of the world has returned.

Dogs and cats no longer living together.

Fire and Brimstone no longer raining from the skies.

I would have loved a CGY-COL series, but that has to wait until zebras get smarter and more consistent

Fixed...   🙂

37 minutes ago, Carty said:

Fixed...   🙂

We still have the Wideman effect.  It was actually quite enlighening watching how the refs called round 1 vs round 2 vs round 3.  McD was still getting the odd call that was really him fouling someone, but most of the garbage reffing was done.  Kane was called twice for his dirty play in one game and got a major/suspension for another.  

Unlike the blatant looking for something to call that we saw.  Teams are playing hard in this round and not being sent to bed without cookies.  We would have been a lot better off in this round.  

Perhaps the media can get past Oilers now that they are done.  Pretty much non-stop talk about "best on planet", "setting the future stage", "future contenders", "amazing playoffs", bla bla bla.  If the Oilers had played against TBL or NYR goalies in the 1st round, they wouldn;t even be talking about scoring or records.

• 1 month later...

It's bleak today.

But there's some excitement coming.

Pelletier's got a shot to make the opening day roster. Wolf's got a shot to see NHL time, worst case scenario fans will be able to see him frequently at the Dome in the AHL. Coronato should arrive in mid March. I still have a lot of belief in Zary. Poirier and Kuznetsov will be fun to watch as first year pros. Kerins too

Tanev's return date moved way ahead that he won't miss the start of the season.

Although we have cap space, Tkachuk, Mangia, Kyl will gobble up most of it, but after this season we have expiring contracts.

Hopefully Tkachuk can see the horizon rather than the right now. We'll have the means for some great adds to pull our socks up. We have a really good prospect in Pelletier ready to move into a LW role.

We have the best G tandem and prospect we could want.

A really good offseason regiment for players at every level can do wonders and we have a staff (coach in particular) that know how to get that point across. Kyl is a good example. The exit interview was "come in shape and ready" (you just know it was more specific than that). He showed up just jacked. His first real chance and he grabbed it. The smarts will come as he keeps it up.

Anyone can surprise. Kyl was pretty much a write-off. It's amazing what one focused offseason can do for a player. Once they "get it", it becomes the norm.

Who's next?

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Although we have cap space, Tkachuk, Mangia, Kyl will gobble up most of it, but after this season we have expiring contracts.

Hopefully Tkachuk can see the horizon rather than the right now. We'll have the means for some great adds to pull our socks up. We have a really good prospect in Pelletier ready to move into a LW role.

A really good offseason regiment for players at every level can do wonders and we have a staff (coach in particular) that know how to get that point across. Kyl is a good example. The exit interview was "come in shape and ready" (you just know it was more specific than that). He showed up just jacked. His first real chance and he grabbed it. The smarts will come as he keeps it up.

Anyone can surprise. Kyl was pretty much a write-off. It's amazing what one focused offseason can do for a player. Once they "get it", it becomes the norm.

Who's next?

the thing I wonder is, what did the previous coaches tell them prior to Sutter? 

i mean, I think Sutter said, this is how I’ll use you this is what you need to focus on and this is how you will play if you focus on “this.” 

others would have to at least be saying, “work out hard come into camp in shape and you’ll have a chance.” 

difference must be in the details and the knowing what a player is good at. 

i found previous coaches seemed to play Russian roulette with the players and never define the role or switch roles so often players didn’t know. Make sense? Like Benny… & Kylington 

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Who's next?

Two players I am looking at are Rozie and Pelts.

I'm hopng they sat down with Rozie and told him the things they wanted.

He has a lot of plusses to his game, but as usual was inconsistent.

Based on available C's on the team, he's almost a shoe in.

But, he needs to stay in the top 9.

Pelletier is a different case.

He's 100% motivation, but hasn't done anything yet to impress Sutter.

Being a setup guy, he has to show he can set up stars or show his scoring touch.

Thread the needle passes, smart backchecking, strong breakouts....

He's still close to Johnny size, so he has to build up.

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite excited with the one or two things we have done this season.

Looking forward to the team that comes out of camp.

As well as the prospects tourney in BC.

And we may have a couple guys in the WJC this wummer.

Hate to be stuck inside to watch hockey in August.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I am quite excited with the one or two things we have done this season.

Looking forward to the team that comes out of camp.

As well as the prospects tourney in BC.

And we may have a couple guys in the WJC this wummer.

Hate to be stuck inside to watch hockey in August.

I like this look a lot better than throwing $20mil per at JG and Tkachuk longterm. They hit career highs last year that they won't hit again. JG is a great player, no question. Could you put him on a line with Bennett and Owen Tippett and expect no drop in production? Unlikely.

Our only D move from a roster perspective is Weegar over Gudbranson. Big win.

We likely have an addition in Pelletier. He is by no means a soft player and has yet to stall out in any of his plateaus yet.

We still have Ruzicka coming in with a fresh chance to have a great summer regiment.

There's a lot for Sutter to work with.