The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I like this look a lot better than throwing $20mil per at JG and Tkachuk longterm. They hit career highs last year that they won't hit again. JG is a great player, no question. Could you put him on a line with Bennett and Owen Tippett and expect no drop in production? Unlikely.

Our only D move from a roster perspective is Weegar over Gudbranson. Big win.

We likely have an addition in Pelletier. He is by no means a soft player and has yet to stall out in any of his plateaus yet.

We still have Ruzicka coming in with a fresh chance to have a great summer regiment.

There's a lot for Sutter to work with.

No doubt.  BT does his building in the summer, so we might see some competition.

I would like to see Rozie come in like Kylington did last year.

The unfortunate trade for Carpenter put him off the roster.

Wasn't anything Sutter could do about it.

If you want, we could say that we replaced Stone with Meloche and Guddy with Weeger.

I mean we could still sign Stone to an AHL contract if nobody picks him up.

Or he's waiver fodder should he sign in the NHL.

No big deal.  Good soldier. 

I am interested to see what BT does in the next 2 weeks.  Two RFA's (not including Rozie) to deal with to ensure we don't end up in arbitration.  No reason to not get them signed.  I mean sure, get a sense of what the new guys will need next year to have a full view of the cap, but you can't wait on them signing to deal with the RFA's.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No doubt.  BT does his building in the summer, so we might see some competition.

I would like to see Rozie come in like Kylington did last year.

The unfortunate trade for Carpenter put him off the roster.

Wasn't anything Sutter could do about it.

If you want, we could say that we replaced Stone with Meloche and Guddy with Weeger.

I mean we could still sign Stone to an AHL contract if nobody picks him up.

Or he's waiver fodder should he sign in the NHL.

No big deal.  Good soldier. 

I am interested to see what BT does in the next 2 weeks.  Two RFA's (not including Rozie) to deal with to ensure we don't end up in arbitration.  No reason to not get them signed.  I mean sure, get a sense of what the new guys will need next year to have a full view of the cap, but you can't wait on them signing to deal with the RFA's.

When we signed Rooney, I kinda thought, "this is who we wanted last year over Carpenter".

I think we scouted Meloche last year. You don't just sign warm bodies for no reason. He's been an Ahl guy for 4 years, NHL for one. Still just turned 25. I'm definitely interested to see what the org (Sutter) sees there. My guess is a solid stay-at-home that still can be taught and likely a guy that couldn't get many opportunities.

It's always interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

When we signed Rooney, I kinda thought, "this is who we wanted last year over Carpenter".

I think we scouted Meloche last year. You don't just sign warm bodies for no reason. He's been an Ahl guy for 4 years, NHL for one. Still just turned 25. I'm definitely interested to see what the org (Sutter) sees there. My guess is a solid stay-at-home that still can be taught and likely a guy that couldn't get many opportunities.

It's always interesting nonetheless.

I was shocked that they waived Richardson and didn't bother doing the same with Ritchie.

Faceoffs were more of an issue in the playoffs etc. than team toughness.

Not that I was a big fan of Richardson, but I place C above RW.

Doesn't really make a difference though.

Unless you waived both or didn't go after Carpenter, no room for Rozie.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was shocked that they waived Richardson and didn't bother doing the same with Ritchie.

Faceoffs were more of an issue in the playoffs etc. than team toughness.

Not that I was a big fan of Richardson, but I place C above RW.

Doesn't really make a difference though.

Unless you waived both or didn't go after Carpenter, no room for Rozie.

I wished we had the asset for Namestnikov at TDL. He's underrated. We saw in the Dallas series that he's got some bite to his game and plays an honest game wherever you slot him.

He certainly endeared himself to the Wings faithful.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I wished we had the asset for Namestnikov at TDL. He's underrated. We saw in the Dallas series that he's got some bite to his game and plays an honest game wherever you slot him.

He certainly endeared himself to the Wings faithful.

You me both.

Could this be the year the Flames finally win the season opener?

It doesn't look good on paper. Defending champs in town.

The Avalanche raise their banner in Denver the night before, then the quick turnaround with the trip to CGY.

Still going to be a real tough test to open the season.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

YAHOOO! YAHOOOOO!

I had given up after years of trying to get back onto this Flames forum. I tried and tried for literally hours and hours.

I am thrilled that I can sign in again! Lots has happened to the team since I was last able to post.

Glad to see Johnnie G gone (I know he was popular). I still say he will help get you to the playoffs but not through. Mathew Phillips our new small guy, goes straight to the net and into the action, ALL RIGHT! Not all small guys are perimeter dodgers. 

Disappointed that Chucky didn't want to stay but that being said, he didn't seem to flourish in playoff games much either. We want guys who want to be here.

Lindholm seems to miss his old team mates but I'm hoping he'll still mesh with his new guys.

I'm not sour on Heberdeau. He just seems to have so much potential. Kadri seems to have brought his scoring knack.

The D looks good. Vladar is looking good. Hope Markstrom bounces back.

Stupid penalties seem to be a problem at present but lets remember the refs are calling too many 'touching' and 'pushing' grade.

Great to be back!

Watching the Montreal game; Tanev just took a shot to the side of the head. Dang! I think he's the most dependable D man.

• Like 1

they played a good game. that was an old style game, very entertaining. you don't get many like that in 'today's nhl', as they call it. the ultimate difference was Markstrom couldn't stop them in the shoot out. i hope they discontinue shoot outs. that was a hard fought game, and a hard earned single point for both teams. if 5 minute sudden death  doesn't decide a winner then a tie it is. shoot outs are unprofessional, and an embarrassing display of throwing points around. 

Wings fans talk a ton about adjusting 3-on-3 and I agree. Once yo cross the red line, no passing back behind it is probably the best one. A shot clock? 10 minutes? Using the whole ice should stop for the team with the puck.

At any rate, we’re 13-16, good for what, 20th in the league. I didn’t expect the Wings to be the better team.

The strength of schedule argument has been flushed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Wings fans talk a ton about adjusting 3-on-3 and I agree. Once yo cross the red line, no passing back behind it is probably the best one. A shot clock? 10 minutes? Using the whole ice should stop for the team with the puck.

At any rate, we’re 13-16, good for what, 20th in the league. I didn’t expect the Wings to be the better team.

i see too much give back in 3 on 3 (and full strength, i.e. defence works the puck up to the blue line and then passes back to Kadri, like they did will JG); pulling the puck back out of the zone in order to regroup with possession. seems like there should be more ways to utilize 3 on 3 than the current copy cat. 

i don't get the shot clock or the whole ice thing you mention. 

the coilers lost last night; great consolation 🙃

there seems to be few points between many teams again, so it could be quick changes on the standings for a team who puts together a streak. 

i think the schedule science is bogus... or at least too kaotic to recognize. 

any word on Tanev? 

who's got the tools for scoring frequent clinch goals; who's got the goods to make Captain; who's going to really gel as a line? 

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah, totally has I mean the Flames just finished their 3rd separate trip out East, how many games outside of the East timezone have the Wings played 4?  The Wings have played 5 games against California teams compared to the Flames 1, and it is the only one that isn't a lottery contender.  In general the bottom 5 teams in the league right now (Ana, Chi, Ari, Col, SJ) Detroit has played 7 games against those teams.  Compared to Calgary's 2, can't just throw out the strength of schedule argument because they lost to Columbus, Detroit's lost to Chicago and Anaheim.  I think the remaining December schedule will be a good indicator of the Flames, all conference games and all but 1 division games and all against teams below them in the standings or barely above (Edmonton)

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Yeah, totally has I mean the Flames just finished their 3rd separate trip out East, how many games outside of the East timezone have the Wings played 4?  The Wings have played 5 games against California teams compared to the Flames 1, and it is the only one that isn't a lottery contender.  In general the bottom 5 teams in the league right now (Ana, Chi, Ari, Col, SJ) Detroit has played 7 games against those teams.  Compared to Calgary's 2, can't just throw out the strength of schedule argument because they lost to Columbus, Detroit's lost to Chicago and Anaheim.  I think the remaining December schedule will be a good indicator of the Flames, all conference games and all but 1 division games and all against teams below them in the standings or barely above (Edmonton)

There’s 16 teams on EST so that’s always going to be lopsided. My argument is I didn’t expect the Wings to be ahead of Calgary. But, you lose to MTL twice and CBJ-type teams it is what will happen. The Wings have had very flat nights but occasionally.

Calgary’s flat nights are stacking up.

I’m not making a Wings vs Flames argument, they’re my teams. Both surprising, but for opposite reasons.

Parity tends to make strength of sked a bit of a hollow argument. More of an excuse than anything.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

There’s 16 teams on EST so that’s always going to be lopsided. My argument is I didn’t expect the Wings to be ahead of Calgary. But, you lose to MTL twice and CBJ-type teams it is what will happen. The Wings have had very flat nights but occasionally.

Calgary’s flat nights are stacking up.

I’m not making a Wings vs Flames argument, they’re my teams. Both surprising, but for opposite reasons.

Parity tends to make strength of sked a bit of a hollow argument. More of an excuse than anything.

Yes half the league is on the East and the other half is not in the EST, the point of the argument is that Calgary has already played in 12 of those 16 cities in the first 2 months of the season, and haven't played a road game within the conference outside the province and play in the worst division in the league and have only played half the division so far (the better half).  It's a scheduling sin if an eastern team has to make 2 trips to play the Alberta, or California teams, most eastern teams get to knock off all California teams in one trip and knock off Seattle, Vancouver and Alberta in another, pretty sweet if you ask me.  The Flames make a New York trip and only play 2 of the 3 teams, then an Eastern Canada trip where they only play 2 of 3, don't forget they didn't even get Philly or Pittsburgh in that New York trip.  

The problem with discrediting the strength of schedule argument is the amount of negativity around this place, the team can go on a run to end the 2022 year and people will discredit it due to the opponents, it is not an excuse because you do have to win the games, but it is real and it was expected that there would be issues with this team to start the season, but how many people in September anticipated the team to struggle in the first 30 yet are the most frustrated now.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure there is much of an "argument" made around strength of schedule. For me it's simply a data point and something worth looking at. I think pointing out that the Flames have had the hardest schedule in the league so far simply offers a potential reason to look at why they aren't exactly firing on all cylinders. In most years I probably woudln't even discuss it but I think it matters when you have a team with such large turnover. 

Whether that is a reason or an excuse is up to the team. Their schedule gets easier so theoretically there is as opportunity here for them to get on a roll and start to stack good games/efforts but that's all it is, an opportunity. Up to them to prove it. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not sure there is much of an "argument" made around strength of schedule. For me it's simply a data point and something worth looking at. I think pointing out that the Flames have had the hardest schedule in the league so far simply offers a potential reason to look at why they aren't exactly firing on all cylinders. In most years I probably woudln't even discuss it but I think it matters when you have a team with such large turnover. 

Whether that is a reason or an excuse is up to the team. Their schedule gets easier so theoretically there is as opportunity here for them to get on a roll and start to stack good games/efforts but that's all it is, an opportunity. Up to them to prove it. 

Wins against tough team and losses to middling teams.

Doesn't really say much.

Winning at home and losing on the road should raise a few flags.

10-5-1 is decent.  3-6-4 is not.

OTL is killing us for that 2nd point, even shootouts (1-2).

3 games that I can remember getting a penalty in OT.

2 were immediate OTL, and one lost in the shootout IIRC.

So, the "easier" schedule needs to be taken advantage of.

4 games on the road in California.

Critical to our placement in the standings.

Not all truly 4 point games, since only LA is really in the running.

Funny, but we haven't played a West team on the road yet.

All of the losses on the road are in the Eastern time zone.

Maybe we match up better on the road against the West.

Anyway, the team has a chance to play teams that are below them in the standings (most of them).

Not only do the lines need to play better, but the line matching needs to be better managed.

I don't fault Sutter for the way a line plays, but I do fault him for simply rolling 4.

Some times a line simply can't handle the competition.

If that's the case, then shorten the bench.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Time to turn this thing around!!

Gotta keep the lineup consistent, end the only consistency being lack of scoring and penalties and start crushing this thing.

We have the parts, pump the confidence and let's Blockchaining go boys!!!

I want to see some 'Likes' happening on the posts. When you like a post let them positively know 👍

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Wins against tough team and losses to middling teams.

Doesn't really say much.

Winning at home and losing on the road should raise a few flags.

10-5-1 is decent.  3-6-4 is not.

OTL is killing us for that 2nd point, even shootouts (1-2).

3 games that I can remember getting a penalty in OT.

2 were immediate OTL, and one lost in the shootout IIRC.

So, the "easier" schedule needs to be taken advantage of.

4 games on the road in California.

Critical to our placement in the standings.

Not all truly 4 point games, since only LA is really in the running.

Funny, but we haven't played a West team on the road yet.

All of the losses on the road are in the Eastern time zone.

Maybe we match up better on the road against the West.

Anyway, the team has a chance to play teams that are below them in the standings (most of them).

Not only do the lines need to play better, but the line matching needs to be better managed.

I don't fault Sutter for the way a line plays, but I do fault him for simply rolling 4.

Some times a line simply can't handle the competition.

If that's the case, then shorten the bench.

Thumbs Up👍🙂

Winning at home is great. A couple years back they were not. 

Bottom line is win at both. If it comes down to home ice advantage in the playoffs, a team who squeaks into a wildcard spot who can't win at home loses advantage there, but strong performing teams win anywhere. 

Years ago the old Flames could beat them all, other times they appeared to conquer the top teams and flounder on the lesser. 

Stats need to be overcome too.

I like the way Sutter rewards the players that are producing but that will find a balance from time to time. 

That last game was OLDTIME entertainment. 

Here's hoping they keep up their great work ethic while increasing their scoring confidence and chemistry. 

Gel solid at the right time, for the playoffs right through to cup champions.