The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

Johnny having a season for the ages.

Creeping up on 100 points.

Heck with the Hart, go for Conn Smythe.

Marky having just enough bad games to keep eyes off him leading to the playoffs.

He's eyeing the single season shutout mark. 

Lindholm is the most underrated 1C in the league.

Nobody from the East even paying attention.

The Expresso to the coffee that Johnny stirs.

Tanev the defensive conscience of the team.

4 guys scored 30+ so far.

2 may reach 40.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Johnny having a season for the ages.

Creeping up on 100 points.

Heck with the Hart, go for Conn Smythe.

Marky having just enough bad games to keep eyes off him leading to the playoffs.

He's eyeing the single season shutout mark. 

Lindholm is the most underrated 1C in the league.

Nobody from the East even paying attention.

The Expresso to the coffee that Johnny stirs.

Tanev the defensive conscience of the team.

4 guys scored 30+ so far.

2 may reach 40.

Probably a tall task, but if Zadorov can get 5 points it would put all 6 d-men at career highs for points.  Not bad for a group who many thought couldn't overcome the loss of a 38 year old.  Not a knock on Gio, a knock on everyone (myself included) who thought it would be a weakness on the team.

20 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Probably a tall task, but if Zadorov can get 5 points it would put all 6 d-men at career highs for points.  Not bad for a group who many thought couldn't overcome the loss of a 38 year old.  Not a knock on Gio, a knock on everyone (myself included) who thought it would be a weakness on the team.

Gio's best days are behind him, and while he still has some tools, we wouldn't be in the same boat with him here.  He still makes smart plays, and can still walk the puck into a scoring position, but I'm not sure he's going to help TO that much in the playoffs.  Not his fault.

I like our D core, and while Zaddy is cringe worthy and Hanifin makes plays that you shake your head at, they all play within the Sutter system.  No one guy is left on an island.  They move in the same direction. 

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

With 4 guys over 30 goals, I heard that St. Loo has 7 over 20. Damn, and Thomas isn't even 1 of them, he's the setup guy.

Looking a lot like a Minny-St Loo series, would likely give us Nashville:)

Minny can have STL.  I want to stay away from them until the last possible moment.  I think we can beat STL, but that 1st round they either trot out the cup winning Binnington (who has sucked this year so far) or they bring out Husso, who we have trouble scoring against.  One goalie is going to get hot.

There's not really any 1st round matchups that I fear, just ones I don't want to have to bother with.  And EDM would be just so annoying.  Probably the easiest team for us to beat, but let someone else beat them in round 1.  Dallas would be iffy, but don't think they are the same team as two years ago.  Nashville is tough to figure out.  No real scoring stars other than Josi.  But defense first.  Too bad they didn't have Trotz.  We will get a sense of Minny and Nash this month.  See where they are now.  I don't think MAF will make them any better, but adds a new wrinkle.   

First time we have beat ANA 4 in a row in the Honda Center/Arrowhead Arena, whatever.  Maybe first time in so long I have lost track, but our road loss streak there was epic.  

On a side note, I am glad we aren't coasting.  The recent 3 game losses put in into the minds of the players that nothing is ever easy.  Go into every game like it's a must win.  Remember the bad points in a win more than the good ones, and learn from it.  Every road game should have the other teams fearing us.  And our home games need to be the best we can play and be coached.  Do that and we can go far.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

First time we have beat ANA 4 in a row in the Honda Center/Arrowhead Arena, whatever.  Maybe first time in so long I have lost track, but our road loss streak there was epic.  

On a side note, I am glad we aren't coasting.  The recent 3 game losses put in into the minds of the players that nothing is ever easy.  Go into every game like it's a must win.  Remember the bad points in a win more than the good ones, and learn from it.  Every road game should have the other teams fearing us.  And our home games need to be the best we can play and be coached.  Do that and we can go far.

That might not happen for very long. they have some prospects that look like they will make for a tough team to play in the future. 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That might not happen for very long. they have some prospects that look like they will make for a tough team to play in the future. 

So many teams screw it up.  ANA traded away franchise D-men and good scoring F.  What you saw post TDL is what you will see for some time.  A rebuilding team that will need new leadership and figure out how they span the older players with the new ones.  

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^^

That's an interesting comparison.

18/19 looked like a steady [progression until game 51, then a slight surge from 57-64.

After that it was win, losses, win, loss, wins, losses, wins losses.

This year we were in a funk from 30-39, then minor loss streaks after then.  

I think before the last 3 game losing streak, we had gone with a loss followed by a win.

Ball talked about it, only to have that streak broken.

Less peaks and valleys it seems.

We can equal our 18/19 season total with 4 points.

What clinched the West in that year will only clinch the Pacific this year.

We can do better than 2 more wins.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^

Less peaks and valleys it seems.

We can equal our 18/19 season total with 4 points.

What clinched the West in that year will only clinch the Pacific this year.

We can do better than 2 more wins.

Positively the result of more consistent play this season! ;)  Go Flames!

Here's a quiz.

Johnny sitting at 38 goals and 107 points, 3rd in league scoring, 1st in +/-, 1st in EV points.

Tkachuk sitting at 39 goals and 98 points, 6th in league scoring, 3rd in +/-, 3rd in EV points.

Lindholm sitting at 39 goals, 2nd in +/-, 11th in EV points.

And the questions are......

Does Gaudreau or Tkachuk or Lindholm hit 40 goals first?

Does Gaudreau end the season in the top 2 in scoring?

Does Gaudreau hit 40 goals before Tkachuk hits 100 points?

^^^^^
I think Matty is the Nashville killer, and gets his 40 goals and 100 points tonight. I also think Lindy gets his 40th tonight. 
This team knows that this is a statement game, and that line needs to step up and I still fear into the hearts of competitors.

Here we are then. Secured playoffs, won our division. Begin Phase 3?

This is a really, really good team.

Nobody likes playing us. Nobody.

Let's carry on in that tradition.

Will WE be a waste of 8 days, as Sutter alludes to the AVs? I think so.

Preds/Stars/Kings/Knights, really doesn't matter to me. They'll get racked.

• 2 weeks later...

Tis the season.

This is it kids. Don't worry, we've got this.

Let bygones be bygones. Different team now. We're going to kick the Satoshi Nakamoto out of everybody.

I have little doubt.

Anyone remember that flimsy backbone that we used to have?

Yeah, neither do I.

Let's Blockchain something up!!

This is gonna be fun.

• Like 2

I don't truly believe Gio made us a bad team, but I do think that he defined how we played.

We have the no-name D, no stars that people know much about on the backend.

Absolutely punishing.  

We have the best coach for the playoffs in the West.

Nothing fazes him.

People always point back to the top line, oh they can't score in the playoffs or tough games.

Funny, there were only a couple of games they went quiet.

Not quiet from lack of chances.  

Our depth is so much more than the last time we were in.

Even from last year where we lost out to MTL by a few crappy games.

Time to lock it down.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Time to cut the bs and put this horse in high gear.

Glad to still have this thread in existence.  It seems the unconditional negativity has crept in.  SN panel blaming Markstrom for two goals kicked out to Joe P.  Mistakes made in our zone or Johnny missing the one breakaway he had this series.  Yeah, it all adds up.  We lost 2 games we had a chance to win.  We lost two close games we didn't score first.  We should be up 2-1.  I get it.

The Flames don't take the easy route, and can't really playing a defensive team.  3 goals is the maximum so far to win.  We should be used to it, since we have played this way all year.  Cut the brawling for minor offences.  Punish they when they go after a player or a goalie only.  Tkachuk needs to be on the ice.  Trading him for Klingberg isn't a fair trade for us, since we lose a 40 goal guy.

I think we see a different start to the game tonight.  We haven't been using the D in the O-zone much, as they are playing very conservatively.  Many opportunities passed up, because we aren't ready to back up the D.  That is so unlike us.