The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

It’s hard to be positive when this team sings guys like Richardson 36 years old…Cgy just can’t help but sign a washed up player every year!  I know it’s only 800k but that little bit is the difference between 1.5 mil and 2.3 mil in cap space it can make a difference in trades.

anyway this is a positive thread so, on the positive side MacKey back for 2 years making under 1 mil..that’s a good signing! 

The 800 K is not relevant to their cap space as only their active roster counts. If Richardson wasn't on the team someone making the same type of money (Example Ruzicka who also makes 800K) would be in his spot counting the same cap space. 

If the Flames want to save that cap space then they would need to run with a 21 or 22 man roster and signing Richardson does not impact that decision. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

The 800 K is not relevant to their cap space as only their active roster counts. If Richardson wasn't on the team someone making the same type of money (Example Ruzicka who also makes 800K) would be in his spot counting the same cap space. 

If the Flames want to save that cap space then they would need to run with a 21 or 22 man roster and signing Richardson does not impact that decision. 

Well if you go to capfriendly it’s counting…so I’m gonna say it counts.

24 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Well if you go to capfriendly it’s counting…so I’m gonna say it counts.

It will only if he makes their active roster. Right now Capfriendly is showing 24 players when only 23 count towards the cap so their number isn't accurate, which it often isn't in the off season. 

At least 1 player on Capfriendly right now will be sent to the AHL and perhaps 2 and the cap will adjust once they do. 

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He's not a plug.  Two years from scoring 15.  Does any player really score a lot in Zona?

If he can take C on the 4th line and win faceoffs, or play on the PK to replace Ryan, then we don't overuse guys like Monahan or Lindholm.

There are/were better options id the point…plus he’s 2 years removed from scoring 15 goals, back then he was 34 now he’s 36, that’s a lot of

miles on the back end of a hockey player career, elite player can usually get more miles cause they were sooo much better that even when they degrade some they are still good…he’s no where elite average  player at the best of his career, now he’s a fringe NHL player at best and we already have way too many of those now, the smart move would have been to NOT sign him and try Raz for a while on the 4th…

this is the exact thing many fans have been complaining about for years, keeping your prospects down by brining in old player who lets be honest in Every case has NOT worked out Brewer, Neil, Jager…list goes on, one could argue Lucic too being as it was just a change of scenery for both Neil and Lucic…the only reason Lucic is still in the line up is he can’t be buried in the AHL, and he’s contract is next to buyout proof…which in my mind we went from bad with Neil, to worse with Lucic but that’s a whole other thing…

if you look around the NHL how many 36 year olds are still playing? A few yes but In the vast majority of cases they were elite…example is Bergeron in Bos…he’s probably gonna retire next season, ans why? Cause he’s gone from an elite player to a good player, who’s also starting to decline from that level…now look at Richardson, he’s been a career 4th liner when he was younger, he’s 36, to be quite honest he aught to have retired 2 years ago…only here in Cgy do we see value in what a player used to be, not what they are now…in this case he’s a old guy trying to stay Ins young-mans game…so yes he is very much a “plug” now..not that that’s what I said, but if you like we can call him that, but realistically he’s just too old for hockey anymore and should never have been signed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

It will only if he makes their active roster. Right now Capfriendly is showing 24 players when only 23 count towards the cap so their number isn't accurate, which it often isn't in the off season. 

At least 1 player on Capfriendly right now will be sent to the AHL and perhaps 2 and the cap will adjust once they do. 

Lol yes but the point is it’s a contract space one way or the other, and if he’s going to the AHL why bother? We have enough of those anyway, just makes no sense it’s a bad sign no matter how you spin it…waste of money/cap

space/contract space…he’s old and not NHL level anymore, there are/were better options.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Lol yes but the point is it’s a contract space one way or the other, and if he’s going to the AHL why bother? We have enough of those anyway, just makes no sense it’s a bad sign no matter how you spin it…waste of money/cap

space/contract space…he’s old and not NHL level anymore, there are/were better options.

These are the types of signing I don't understand why people spend so much time getting upset about. He's good in his role, don't believe me look up his profile, a very good defensive player so you can now build a 4th line you can trust late in games. If he's as bad as you say he's either in the press box, where someone else making similar money would already be thus the comment about his cap hit is not relevant, or he's down in the AHL. The Flames are also only at 44 of 50 contracts so this "waste" is not preventing them from doing anything. 

No downside at all here. There is no spin here, it's just facts. Richardson is a good addition and fits what Sutter wants on his depth players to a T. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

These are the types of signing I don't understand why people spend so much time getting upset about. He's good in his role, don't believe me look up his profile, a very good defensive player so you can now build a 4th line you can trust late in games. If he's as bad as you say he's either in the press box, where someone else making similar money would already be thus the comment about his cap hit is not relevant, or he's down in the AHL. The Flames are also only at 44 of 50 contracts so this "waste" is not preventing them from doing anything. 

No downside at all here. There is no spin here, it's just facts. Richardson is a good addition and fits what Sutter wants on his depth players to a T. 

Well I disagree, I’d rather have 45 free spots than Richardson…it’s just gonna be more of the same with this guy, and regardless what some my think the 4th line is very important…now Richardson 2 years ago and even at 2mil I’d be super fine with but not now…and yes Richardson 2 years ago for Sutter to a T not now…

I look at it this way, watch your pennies and the dollars take care of themselves, and although this is a penny signing it’s a waste, it’s not the player or the contract it’s just evidence of more of the same from the Mgt and owners that’s the issue 

39 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Well I disagree, I’d rather have 45 free spots than Richardson…it’s just gonna be more of the same with this guy, and regardless what some my think the 4th line is very important…now Richardson 2 years ago and even at 2mil I’d be super fine with but not now…and yes Richardson 2 years ago for Sutter to a T not now…

I look at it this way, watch your pennies and the dollars take care of themselves, and although this is a penny signing it’s a waste, it’s not the player or the contract it’s just evidence of more of the same from the Mgt and owners that’s the issue 

okay.. name your 5 man current flame roster and the 45 players you would sign that are avaiable and make sure the team fits the current cap limit

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

okay.. name your 5 man current flame roster and the 45 players you would sign that are avaiable and make sure the team fits the current cap limit

Lol why? I would

much rather list a bunch of players in place of Richardson…which is kinda my point…that and well he’s proto typical of mgt moves over the past 2-3 years…all of which huge fails say for Tanev…and to a lesser degree Markstrom I’m giving a pass on last season and see how he rest his year..gotta be fair but otherwise it’s the same old situation, of going to old

guys…and proof is simple, no playoffs 2x seasons in a row..it’s gonna be 3 this year unless they change this process…anyway I’ll check my list and post a few much better options than Richardson, Ritchie, Lewis and Pitlick…the later two are meh, depth, the first two just shows how bad this line up is..heck Levino is probably a better option than Richardson 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Sutter mentioned a few times last year that the team just doesn't have the mental toughness needed to be successful. That's why they brought in 4 forwards that bring exactly that. I get that people wanna see goal scorers and points signings, but I'm happy they did it this way. The team's weak mentality had to change. Now they've added guys to help that. Lewis and Richardson aren't here for 20 goals apiece from 7 mins/gm. They know how to play their roles. We've been lacking that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Sutter mentioned a few times last year that the team just doesn't have the mental toughness needed to be successful. That's why they brought in 4 forwards that bring exactly that. I get that people wanna see goal scorers and points signings, but I'm happy they did it this way. The team's weak mentality had to change. Now they've added guys to help that. Lewis and Richardson aren't here for 20 goals apiece from 7 mins/gm. They know how to play their roles. We've been lacking that.

I totally get that and agree the mental strength is just not there…thing is, is it the bottom 6 or the top 6 that needs the mental strength? That’s kinda where the change is needed your best have to have it and to be honest the only 1 was Tachuck and he’s been beaten down…hence we his effectiveness faltering…

that’s kinda the thing that needs to change…and also one of the reason so many see Tachuck as the captain…kinda like Iggy the will to win and dragged the team into the finals…Tachuck is that guy, Gio as much as I lived the guy, especially earlier on, he’s just not that guy…look around the NHL the Crosby, Ovi’s, McDavid, McKinnon, Stamkos etc…it’s not just an elite player skill it’s also an elite mentality to win…you put that type of guy as your leader and the rest will follow, you put a soft easy going guy as the leader the rest will also follow down that apathetic path (including those who are the will to win guys) which is what we have been seeing…2018/2019 Gio was that leader and guy but that was his peak and Father Time has caught up to him and he’s has been wearing down since then, including his drive to win…

anyway that the “culture” change needed but we still Gaudreau/Monahan/Backlund etc as the core leaders with the easygoing mentality…I think this is why some feel a full clear out is needed to reset it with new and very hungry top draft picks…just saying

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm kinda wondering if there is/was maybe some locker room issues that needed to be addressed. Maybe some kind of room division, or work ethic problems that seasoned veterans could help smooth out. The idea comes up when discussing Chuckys change in play or the teams overall inconsistencies, maybe even part of the reason Looch contemplated leaving. In the end this has been a shell of a team for a few seasons, got the skill but no heart.  A guy like Richardson doesnt stat in the league this long solely on point production, I'm sure its the other intangibles that hes being brought in for.

50 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I'm kinda wondering if there is/was maybe some locker room issues that needed to be addressed. Maybe some kind of room division, or work ethic problems that seasoned veterans could help smooth out. The idea comes up when discussing Chuckys change in play or the teams overall inconsistencies, maybe even part of the reason Looch contemplated leaving. In the end this has been a shell of a team for a few seasons, got the skill but no heart.  A guy like Richardson doesnt stat in the league this long solely on point production, I'm sure its the other intangibles that hes being brought in for.

I don't recall anything regarding this over the past year.  I know it was something he mentioned contemplating retiring during the previous season, but also pinpointed more towards Peters than anything, also stated he was rejuvenated after Peters left.   

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I don't recall anything regarding this over the past year.  I know it was something he mentioned contemplating retiring during the previous season, but also pinpointed more towards Peters than anything, also stated he was rejuvenated after Peters left.   

Agree. Everything I have heard and read points to Lucic loving being on the Flames. He had a good season, best in a long while, so I don't think he wants out. 

The rest of what he says is bang on though. Richardson signing isn't about points, it's about a style of play and culture. 

John G is a good little player. I thought he wanted to play in Philly of someplace closer to home in the east. I was expecting to see Sean M moving on to an eastern team too. 

Love this positivity. 

Elias L is a better two way player? Does he hold up in the playoffs? He's my favorite of those three. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 1:18 PM, sak22 said:

Ya my mistake, Looches deal was the year before and based on coaching but I still have a feeling all was not well in the dressing room. As well as last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 7:26 PM, kehatch said:

The Flames can likely trade Lucic next season if they want to. Most of his salary is a signing bonus next season. As of July 2 there will only be 1 million in actual salary owing. 

I never actually minded Lucic, just his contract.   If we keep him, does he still hit our cap?

I realize he's going to get old fast from here of course but he's a guy I'd be okay with moving up in the oraganization.

52 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I never actually minded Lucic, just his contract.   If we keep him, does he still hit our cap?

I realize he's going to get old fast from here of course but he's a guy I'd be okay with moving up in the oraganization.

It is too bad that his contract is what it is. He’s been decent as a bottom 4 or 5 player. If he was paid accordingly then he’d be considered serviceable. I just wonder if his usage is determined by his salary. But he’s a guy you know will try. So it’s what the coaches like. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But he’s a guy you know will try. So it’s what the coaches like. 

That's what I like too! Lucic is a powerhouse. I wish (I know wishing is annoying) the game would go back to strength and presence like it was with the neutral zone and the red line. It's been tailored to speed and therefore youth which discriminates against older bigger, often stronger, and yes often slower players. 

These little speedy gonzalez kids that are coming along are idolized but would be 'neutralized' in the old game.

Developed matured durable 'old guy strength'. 

Leave Lucic alone. He's still the best in the league at what he does. 

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Page 3 deep? Honestly?

Full respect to DD for doing the first one.

But JC you louts, we're crushing it.

Where's the positivity thread? Here it is.

Everything is farting rainbows. Stop worrying about trading stuff and enjoy.

People are saying we're a really good team.

T.

It is weird because there isn’t much to criticize. I’ve been so used to seeing such subpar performances every year. And when the team isn’t bringing it, the structure is there to give themselves a chance. 

I love that they are playing a tight team game. I’d keep everyone if we can, but if we lose them after the season, I guess it’s like our own rental. Or do we get something while we can, and potentially fill other holes?