Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

16 hours ago, kehatch said:

With Gilles ready to get the bulk of the starts this was clearly the most likely scenario. Regardless if how well McDonald played. 

That said, this was a really tough preseason for the prospect. Hopefully he can pull it together this year. 

I agree, McDonald needs the full time work to get better,

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update after 3 games.

Gilles: 2-0-1, 1.64 GAA, .944 S%.  Awesome so far.

Jankowski: 1G, 3A, 4P.  Team Points leader so far, which is encouraging.

Skinkaruk: Tied with Poirier for most shots so far at 10.  Difference is Shinkaruk has 2 goals, and leads the team in shooting %.

Mangiapane: 1G, 2A.  Tied for second in Points along with D-Man Colby Robak

Robak: 3A, +3 Rating, Tied for most PIM with 4

Kylington: 2 Points, leads the team with a +4 rating, Tied for most PIM with 4

Kanzig: Assigned to Adirondak.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:51 AM, cross16 said:

Really like that Klimchuk's offence is showing up. He's a really talented kid that is he can stay healthy I thikn will have a big year down in the A. Underrated guy, mostly becuase he's been so banged up the last few years. 

I think expectations were unrealistic given he came from the same draft as Monny, I think Klimmer will need a couple years to ripen and can see him being a Setmpniak type player once ready...

Klimchuk is definitely the surprise of the season so far, not just with 8 points in 5 games but also leading the team with a plus 8 rating.  But there are plenty of other positives too. Jankowski continues to put up points (7 in 6 games), and Shinkaruk scored again the other night (4G, 2A in 6 games).  Other players have also surprised with their performances, most notably Anderson (6A) and Colby Robak (5A and plus 8) (both defenseman).  Things seem to be looking up in Stockton this year.

• Like 1

After a big couple of games, time for another update.  Your team leaders so far this season are:

Points: Kilmchuk (10), Jankowski (10), Mangiapane (9), Vey (9), Frattin (8)

Goals: Klimchuk (5), Mangiapane (4), Shinkaruk (4), Frattin (4)

Assists: Jankowski (7), Vey (6), Anderson (6), Klimchuk (5), Mangiapane (5), Kylington (5)

+/-: Kylington (10), Klimchuk (9), Hathaway (5), Shinkaruk (5)

PIM: Bollig (31), Lomberg (24), Morrisson (10), Hathaway (8)

Shots: Frattin (25), Poirier (22), Mangiapane (20), Jankowski (19), Vey (19), Hathaway (19)

Gilles (only goalie to play more than once): 2.98 GAA, 0.901 Sv%, 4 wins in 7 games.  Hurt again, out short term.

Some takeaways so far:

-The heat are offensive powerhouses, racking up a ton of goals (37 in just 8 games).  

-Klimchuk is the surprise of the season, lighting the lamp more than anyone else while also carrying a great +/-.  We should expect him to regress a bit when it comes to scoring, as his shooting percentage is 35%.  

-Kylington is having an impressive year, leading the team in plus/minus.  He also is contributing offensively, which is nice to see.

-Jankowski is having a pretty big impact as a playmaking centre so far.  Great to see in his first year as a pro.

-Poirier has put up a respectable 6 points in 8 games, but is shooting a lot.  Hope to see the goals start to go in for him

-Didn't expect Frattin to have the impact he has, but he's been one of the more productive skaters.  Same goes for Vey.

^^^^^^

I would agree with a lot of your takeaways.  The one you are missing is Mangiapane, who is lighting it up after being scratched for a couple of games:

Mangiapane pacing an nhle above 50 right now after 7 games in the A. Guy is going to be an NHLer. And a good one.

Frattin and Vey are fringe NHL players, so I would expect them to be good in the AHL.  Frattin is also a 28 year old vet.

Gillies jammed his thumb and had to leave the game, but is not expected to miss any time.

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Not saying Klimchuk will keep it up, but scoring opportunities are also products of the linemates and  what scoring position he gets himself into. It probably means he is getting into good places.

Klimchuk has very underrated hockey sense. His hockey IQ is very high, probaby the highest of the Flames prosepct pool to be honest IMO. 

I don't thikn what he is doing is that much of a suprised. Klimchuk has great physical tools and a great hockey IQ, he just hasn't been healthy to put a full work into a summer to get his strength up to a point he could contribute. He did that this summer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Klimchuk has very underrated hockey sense. His hockey IQ is very high, probaby the highest of the Flames prosepct pool to be honest IMO. 

I don't thikn what he is doing is that much of a suprised. Klimchuk has great physical tools and a great hockey IQ, he just hasn't been healthy to put a full work into a summer to get his strength up to a point he could contribute. He did that this summer. 

And that's what I mean, to get into openings and positions is a skill. Getting into passing lanes is hockey sense.

It is good to see. I was worried he wasn't progressing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some quick updates here.

Forwards

Since being returned from the Flames, Linden Vey has really lit up the score sheet.  He has now catapulted himself into a 4-way tie for the team lead in points with 12.  Morgan Klimchuk has slowed down his torrid pace from earlier in the season, but also has 12 points.  Poirier has continued to struggle with scoring, and has the second lowest shooting percentage for forwards on the team at 5.3%.  That said, he is playing with an edge and has racked up 25 PIMs, behind only Bollig and Lomberg.  He also is starting to accumulate assists, tied for 3rd on the team with 7.

Vey: 11 Games, 5 Goals, 7 Assists

Klimchuk: 14 Games, 5 Goals, 7 Assists

Mangiapane: 14 Games, 5 Goals, 7 Assists

Jankowski: 13 Games, 3 Goals, 9 Assists

Also of note, Brandon Bollig has found a scoring touch in the AHL, has a nice point streak going and is tied for the team lead in goals with 5.

Defense: Andersson and Kylington continue to have solid seasons and lead the way for this team on the back end.  Andersson is coming off back to back games with a goal, and leads the team in points from the defense.  Wotherspoon is having a decent season so far, and Morrison is struggling.

Andersson: 15 Games, 2 Goals, 8 Assists, +7

Kylington: 15 Games, 2 Goals, 6 Assists, +7

Wotherspoon: 15 Games, 1 Goal, 5 Assists, +8

Morrison: 15 Games, 1 Goal, 0 Assists, -7

Goal:  Probably one of the nicer surprises so far this season is the play of David Rittich.  He has an excellent few games last week, and even though his record stands at 3-3, his personal numbers are outstanding.  Gilles on the other hand has struggled at times with consistency.

Gilles: 5-2 Record, 3.12 GAA, 0.896 SV%

Rittich: 3-3 Record, 1.67 GAA, 0.937 SV%, 2 Shut outs.

Huge game last night, as Stockton takes hold of first place in the Pacific.  After cooling down for a few games Morgan Klimchuk was back in top form potting two goals including a shorthanded play where he stripped the puck and sprung himself on a breakaway.  Rittich continues his stellar play, making all 37 saves for his fourth win and 3rd shutout of the year.  He has been lights out, even in losses, and holds a league leading 1.43 GAA and 0.949 save percentage.

• 2 months later...

Well, the heat have really been on a slide lately.  Lost something like their last 6 or 7 games.  Perhaps most remarkably their offense has vanished.  They are only potting 1-2 per game right now, sometimes being shutout.  The only bright spots at the moment: Gilles has played alright, generally faces over 30 shots and gives up ~3 goals.  Not fantastic, but some nights he's the only guy who shows up. Jankowski is another bright point, his performance has not sagged while everyone else slumps, so that's a plus.  Finally, Klimchuk is still potting the odd goal here and there.  He and Janks keep swapping the team lead in goals.

Heat are alot like the Flames, very young. Pretty natural that a hot start like they had would even out. REally hard for young teams to be consistent.

I'm personally really happy with Gilles and think he is taking too much flak. Number don't wow you but for a guy who missed a full season, playing behind a young dcore, and seeing a ton of rubber every night he is look pretty good if you ask me. 

I also think Klimchuk should be in the NHL next year. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Heat are alot like the Flames, very young. Pretty natural that a hot start like they had would even out. REally hard for young teams to be consistent.

I'm personally really happy with Gilles and think he is taking too much flak. Number don't wow you but for a guy who missed a full season, playing behind a young dcore, and seeing a ton of rubber every night he is look pretty good if you ask me. 

I also think Klimchuk should be in the NHL next year. 

Do you have any concerns about Huska?  He was supposed to be a good fit when the Flames employed the Bob Hartley strategy of hockey.  Has he adapted to Gully's version?  If so, I would expect a bit of a struggle this season with scoring.  If not, then WTF is he doing?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Do you have any concerns about Huska?  He was supposed to be a good fit when the Flames employed the Bob Hartley strategy of hockey.  Has he adapted to Gully's version?  If so, I would expect a bit of a struggle this season with scoring.  If not, then WTF is he doing?

Not really. I really like Huska as a coach. In Kelowna, they ran a system that would parallel Gulutzan more than Hartley. I would argue Hartley's strategy would have been more foreign to Huska as that is not how his Kelowna teams ran. I just happen to think Huska is just a good solid hockey coach, but he's coaching a really young team with a not so good blueline. Goaltending can only mask that for so long. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not really. I really like Huska as a coach. In Kelowna, they ran a system that would parallel Gulutzan more than Hartley. I would argue Hartley's strategy would have been more foreign to Huska as that is not how his Kelowna teams ran. I just happen to think Huska is just a good solid hockey coach, but he's coaching a really young team with a not so good blueline. Goaltending can only mask that for so long. 

Good to know.  I get concerned by lack of progress by prospects (some of them) as much as lack of winning.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Good to know.  I get concerned by lack of progress by prospects (some of them) as much as lack of winning.

One thing that points in Huska's favor is the Heat tend to roll lines and defensive pairings, they don't appear to stack their lines in an attempt to win. They model is based more around development than it is necessarily winning games.

I don't watch the games, but so far I like what i've seen. Most of the "prospects" that appear to be taking steps back i'm not sure you can put all on Huska and for me I don't really see many prospects who aren't taking steps forward

• 4 weeks later...