Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

• 3 weeks later...

Does any one really think Kanzig will ever see the NHL ?  If we don't trade him chances are he will end up in the ECHL and probably not resign him. Or bringing him back to Calgary is to help him with the coaches here as much as they can like the defensive coaching staff of the flames not the Hitmen of course the Hitmen staff will for sure. I just don't see a future for him here or in the NHL hope I'm wrong 

Does any one really think Kanzig will ever see the NHL ?  If we don't trade him chances are he will end up in the ECHL and probably not resign him. Or bringing him back to Calgary is to help him with the coaches here as much as they can like the defensive coaching staff of the flames not the Hitmen of course the Hitmen staff will for sure. I just don't see a future for him here or in the NHL hope I'm wrong 

Well, to be fair, he is just 20.  How long was it before Gio made the NHL.  Extreme example, but defensemen don't reach their prime until mid-20's.  Some like Ekblad hit that level sooner.  Brodie hasn't even reached his prime yet.

His ceiling is probably close to a Derek Engelland one, if he makes it.  Always a chance he could be a Chara, but you would expect to see some signs of offense by now.

At this point for me, Kanzig is not trending towards being an NHL player. He still ah a ways to go so he can't be written off completely he just isn't trending tat way. He has zero offence to speak of with very small improvement in that area. His mobility is improving but not at a fast enough pace to account for the fact he brings you virtually no offence. So the mobility is improving but it still has a ways to go to be considered NHL caliber and that's why I think he was re assinged to the Hitmen. I think his upside at bet was that of a bottom pairing dman and he still may get there given he has time but you even the most optimistic fan would have to say Kanzig isn't making a name for himself.

At this point for me, Kanzig is not trending towards being an NHL player. He still ah a ways to go so he can't be written off completely he just isn't trending tat way. He has zero offence to speak of with very small improvement in that area. His mobility is improving but not at a fast enough pace to account for the fact he brings you virtually no offence. So the mobility is improving but it still has a ways to go to be considered NHL caliber and that's why I think he was re assinged to the Hitmen. I think his upside at bet was that of a bottom pairing dman and he still may get there given he has time but you even the most optimistic fan would have to say Kanzig isn't making a name for himself.

Agreed. Unless we see a dramatic climb in his progression I don't ever see him making the team. It's too bad with his size he could have brought a different dynamic to our blue line.

Is Ryan Huska a big upgrade over Troy Ward? It seems as though the Heat have struggled since he took the helm.

Ward taught the players how to be pro. He was a mentor type coach. That wouldn't work in the WHL.

Everyone thought Dallas Eakins was the best thing since sliced bread when the Oilers hired him, but some coaches work at some levels and not for others.

Maybe Huska is good with teens, but not players older than 20 or so? Who knows?

A dark cloud seems to be hanging over the Heat goalies this season. Poulin left the shootout after injuring himself. Simpson was forced to finish the shootout. Until Gillies returns, the Heat have an AHL backup as the starter and an ECHL goalie as the backup.

Might be the perfect excuse to send Ortio down and put Hiller in the back up spot.

Might be the perfect excuse to send Ortio down and put Hiller in the back up spot.

I do think that Hiller is still on the IR.  I would think it's a better time to send Hiller down on a conditioning stint.  He hasn't played in a long time, and I would be reluctant to play him any time soon in the NHL.  If Ortio is sent down, there is still a risk of losing him.  That happens and we are worse off.  

I do think that Hiller is still on the IR. I would think it's a better time to send Hiller down on a conditioning stint. He hasn't played in a long time, and I would be reluctant to play him any time soon in the NHL. If Ortio is sent down, there is still a risk of losing him. That happens and we are worse off.

If Hiller agrees to go down then he could get into 5 games in his 14 day conditioning stint. I still see Ortio getting sent down regardless, you will just be postponing it for 2 weeks.

If Hiller agrees to go down then he could get into 5 games in his 14 day conditioning stint. I still see Ortio getting sent down regardless, you will just be postponing it for 2 weeks.

You assume of course that Ortio will be the guy to go down.  Hiller has more to prove due to his horrible start.  Ortio had 2 bad games.

You assume of course that Ortio will be the guy to go down. Hiller has more to prove due to his horrible start. Ortio had 2 bad games.

Hiller is a vet of 9 years in the NHL and was easily our best goalie last year. Ortio hasn't proven anything in the NHL. The fact that Ramo, the original goalie to get waived and sent down, has played 10 straight games and Ortio hasn't gotten a sniff of the net shows which way the coaching staff is leaning.

Hiller is a vet of 9 years in the NHL and was easily our best goalie last year. Ortio hasn't proven anything in the NHL. The fact that Ramo, the original goalie to get waived and sent down, has played 10 straight games and Ortio hasn't gotten a sniff of the net shows which way the coaching staff is leaning.

I think if Ramo had played as well as the last couple games, from the start of the season, we would be in the mix for a playoff spot.. I am not putting all the blame on our Goaltending as it is a team game and our D has been subpar most of the season as well, but....

I think the right of it is a moot discussion. Ortio was goalie number 3 behind two goalies playing terrible hockey. Since Hiller went down Ramo is setting personal records for consecutive starts. Clearly they don't trust Ortio to play.

If Ortio was lights out in the few starts he had then maybe things change. But he wasn't. Barring him getting a game and playing really well I don't see him getting sticking over Ramo or Hiller. Not unless Treliving thinks he is at risk of getting claimed.

I can't see how Ortio gets claimed on waivers. I was never totally convinced he would have to start the year and given he hasn't looked good at the NHL level now I just don't see how he does and agree he makes the most sense to send down. He needs to play and I don't think there is any need to pull the plug on him as a part of the organization. NOt to mention the Heat could really use the goaltending help now that Poulin is also apparantly hurt.

I can't see how Ortio gets claimed on waivers. I was never totally convinced he would have to start the year and given he hasn't looked good at the NHL level now I just don't see how he does and agree he makes the most sense to send down. He needs to play and I don't think there is any need to pull the plug on him as a part of the organization. NOt to mention the Heat could really use the goaltending help now that Poulin is also apparantly hurt.

I don't think Treliving keeps him up to sit the bench if he isn't worried about waivers. One has to assume he called around and though the risk was at least moderate.

But based on the season to date my guess is the risk had gone down. You never know though. I would have said Berra would have cleared waivers but Colorado wanted him so bad they gave us a second for him.

I don't think Treliving keeps him up to sit the bench if he isn't worried about waivers. One has to assume he called around and though the risk was at least moderate.

But based on the season to date my guess is the risk had gone down. You never know though. I would have said Berra would have cleared waivers but Colorado wanted him so bad they gave us a second for him.

Fair point. I guess you need to give them the benefit of the doubt because the current set up really hasn't made alot of sense.

However, I'm also to the point now where you have to question whether or not losing Ortio is even a big deal? I get it that you never want to lose any asset for free but if Hartley doesn't have any confidence in him now what is going to change in the next 8-10 months that will convince him otherwise and make it worthwhile to keep him in the organization?

Fair point. I guess you need to give them the benefit of the doubt because the current set up really hasn't made alot of sense.

However, I'm also to the point now where you have to question whether or not losing Ortio is even a big deal? I get it that you never want to lose any asset for free but if Hartley doesn't have any confidence in him now what is going to change in the next 8-10 months that will convince him otherwise and make it worthwhile to keep him in the organization?

Agreed. He is an RFA and he is European. Not playing him is the same as losing him on waivers because he isn't signing an extension with the Flames at this point.

It still appears to me as if the coach and GM aren't on the same page with Ortio. Coach doesn't trust him. GM wants to see what they have in him.

But if Hartley doesn't play him despite terrible goaltending early, or despite Hiller going down, or despite Ramo playing a record number of consecutive starts then clearly he doesn't trust the player.