Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

He is eligible, as he's on loan to Mississauga from his Swedish team.  That said, I think he'd be better served playing in junior for another year.

And, he doesn't belong to the Flames yet.

Isn't he supposed to play in Sweden this coming year if he doesn't go to the NHL?  I read that somewhere, but don't remember if it was a credible source.

Isn't he supposed to play in Sweden this coming year if he doesn't go to the NHL?  I read that somewhere, but don't remember if it was a credible source.

His rights revert back to Sweden and then whatever club drafts him needs approval from the Swedish club to move him where they want. however, typically for first rounders the NHL club has been able to put them whereever they want. I think it would be pretty unlikely that Nylander's club would loan him to the OHL and then block him going to the AHL/OHL the following year. 

His rights revert back to Sweden and then whatever club drafts him needs approval from the Swedish club to move him where they want. however, typically for first rounders the NHL club has been able to put them whereever they want. I think it would be pretty unlikely that Nylander's club would loan him to the OHL and then block him going to the AHL/OHL the following year. 

That makes sense.  I know with the Finns, it's a different story as they have to do mandatory military service.  That's obviously unrelated to playing hockey oversees, but an interesting aside.  There was some discussion about this in the draft class thread.

• 1 month later...

I think this would be the right thread....

I was trying to make an AHL projected lineup with the NHL line up in the Potential Roster thread. What I found though was we seem a little short on centers after our QO deadline hit. With that in mind, I thought it might be fun to discuss a new topic.

Projected Heat players

Forward

Mangiapane LW

Smith RW

Carroll RW

Jankowski C

Klimchuk LW

Hathaway? RW

Hamilton? C/RW

Vey? C/RW

Porrier RW/LW

Pollock LW

Harisson RW

Tuulola??

I only see 3 centers on there, one of which may be with the big club. Unless they plan to bring some players back who they didn't QO, we're a bit short on centers.

Defence

Andersson

Kylington

Morrison

Kulak

Culkin

Kanzig

T-Spoon

Stevenson?

Bruce?

Johnson?

Lots of D, even if Bruce goes to the ECHL and Stevenson and Johnson are cut.

Goaltender

Gilles

Rittich

Schneider?

Don't know if Schneider can go back to junior or not...

Did I miss anyone? What's your projected line up?

I think this would be the right thread....

I was trying to make an AHL projected lineup with the NHL line up in the Potential Roster thread. What I found though was we seem a little short on centers after our QO deadline hit. With that in mind, I thought it might be fun to discuss a new topic.

Projected Heat players

Forward

Mangiapane LW

Smith RW

Carroll RW

Jankowski C

Klimchuk LW

Hathaway? RW

Hamilton? C/RW

Vey? C/RW

Porrier RW/LW

Pollock LW

Harisson RW

Tuulola??

I only see 3 centers on there, one of which may be with the big club. Unless they plan to bring some players back who they didn't QO, we're a bit short on centers.

Defence

Andersson

Kylington

Morrison

Kulak

Culkin

Kanzig

T-Spoon

Stevenson?

Bruce?

Johnson?

Lots of D, even if Bruce goes to the ECHL and Stevenson and Johnson are cut.

Goaltender

Gilles

Rittich

Schneider?

Don't know if Schneider can go back to junior or not...

Did I miss anyone? What's your projected line up?

Schneider goes back to junior - too young

MacDonald, if he turns pro will go to ECHL (IMHO) to get the extra games

Stevenson - not signed

Johnson - not signed

Bruce - junior - too young

Harrison - likely back to college; has one year left

I think you have everyone else.  Tuulola likely to junior, unless he impresses at Young Stars/camp

Schneider goes back to junior - too young

MacDonald, if he turns pro will go to ECHL (IMHO) to get the extra games

Stevenson - not signed

Johnson - not signed

Bruce - junior - too young

Harrison - likely back to college; has one year left

I think you have everyone else.  Tuulola likely to junior, unless he impresses at Young Stars/camp

I guess I thought Schneider was older as well as Bruce.

Stockton's website isn't up to date so it was a bit tricky on a few.

I put question marks next to ones I was sure would be on the team (whether to Jr. or NHL or other). I put ?? next to Tuulola because some want him in the conversation. I think it's quite unlikely personally.

I did miss Shinkaruk and Prybil though. Oops.

So, here's what I've got then. Assuming none of the above makes the Flames.

Shinkaruk - Janko - Porrier #1

Mangia- Vey - Prybil #2a

Pollock- Hamilton - Smith #2b

Klimchuk - ? - Carroll #4

? ? extras

Tried to balance lines. Mangia and Pollock could switch too. I'm not sure who 4th line center will be; nor the extras

T-spoon - Kulak

Kylington - Morrison

Culak - Andersson

Kanzig

Again, a balancing act. Don't have enough RDs but don't think Morrison nor Andersson get top line. Kylington is a good skater, so might be a good pair with Morrison. Culak adds some experience for Anderson.

Of course, AHL is more fluid than NHL rosters due to double headers.

Gillies

Rittich

Wouldnt ollas-mattison be included in the AHL roster? Hes coming over this year isent he, and he looked good in development camp.

He is signed with Djurgardens in Sweden for one more season, so he won't be coming over this year.

Wouldnt ollas-mattison be included in the AHL roster? Hes coming over this year isent he, and he looked good in development camp.

According to Ryan Pike of Flames Nation, he is under contract in the SEL for 1 more season

Ollas Mattsson's contract with Djurgardens expires after the 2016-17 season, at which point the Flames will have a decision to make regarding whether they want to lure him over to North America or not. Until then, Ollas Mattsson will remain a pretty effective stay-at-home defender in a pretty damn good pro league.

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/5/28/flamesnation-player-evaluations-adam-ollas-mattsson

I suspect you will see more moves for the Heat and I could see them singing 2 or 3 players. Treliving has said they would like a bit of a veterna presence down there and it is going to be a pretty young team. Not sure if they will target guys on AHL deals, but they have the contract space so I do think they will sign a guy or two to 2 way NHL deals. I would look at someone like James Wright, a solid defensive center who could take some pressure off the young centers down there and someone like Tyson Strachan could give that blueine a bit of a bite becuase it's looks pretty soft down there right now.Strachan is also a RH shot that would help and also provide a call up if necessay for a RH shot. 

I'm going to assume that Shinkaruk and Hamilton make the NHL team.

Klimchuk - Vey - Porier

Mangiapane - Janko - Prybil

Pollock - James Wright - H. Smith

A. Carrol.

Rest you could probably fill with AHL deals

Kylington - Strachan

Wotherspoon - Andersson

Kulak - Miorrson

Culkin - Kanzig

Gilles

Riddich

I think something along these lines is what you are going to see. 

• Like 1

There is always the option of the Flames to negotiate with the team/league to get him over. IIRC, they did that with Kylington.

It is possible, but it sounds unlikely that that is what is going to happen. He will get more playing time in Djurgardens.

There is always the option of the Flames to negotiate with the team/league to get him over.  IIRC, they did that with Kylington.

Potentially yes, but its much more common with high draft picks. For later round picks, its more common that they fufill that contract.

Either way, it certainly seems to me the orgnaization is not planning on him being in NA this year. They don't even have him under contract. 

Potentially yes, but its much more common with high draft picks. For later round picks, its more common that they fufill that contract.

Either way, it certainly seems to me the orgnaization is not planning on him being in NA this year. They don't even have him under contract. 

I don't worry either way.  I would prefer to get him over to NA, just to ensure that he gets signed and he starts on NA ice.  He's still an unknown quantity playing overseas.  Development wise, he may be just fine staying in Europe.  I just look at the style of game he plays and think we are lacking in that in the AHL right now.  Spoon is the only one that is close to being a potential NHL player that plays a hard checking game.  No, I don't count Kanzig as being close to NHL.

• 4 weeks later...

the process to round out the Heat's roster is continuing. Signed the former captain of the Syracuse Crunch on top of the rumor they have signed the Russian dman. Still no confirmation from anyone reputable on that report though. This one is for sure an AHL only deal whereas some speculation the Russian Dman may be an NHL deal. 

Leaderships and vets are needed so i like the approach. Going to be a very young team in Stockton this year so woudn't shock me to see another 2-3 of these and a dman too. 

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index.ssf/2016/08/former_syracuse_crunch_captain_mike_angelidis_lands_ahl_pact.html

I think it's going to be a tough year in Stockton.  There's going to be lots of talent there, but not a great deal of experience.

It'll be very interesting to see how Andersson and Killington respond.  I think either of them could wind up being top pairing guys in Stockton this year, and I'm willing to bet that Killington gets into a couple NHL games.

I think it's going to be a tough year in Stockton.  There's going to be lots of talent there, but not a great deal of experience.

It'll be very interesting to see how Andersson and Killington respond.  I think either of them could wind up being top pairing guys in Stockton this year, and I'm willing to bet that Killington gets into a couple NHL games.

I think alot of it is going to come down to goaltending. If they can get good goaltending I think they'll have a good team becuase the talent is there. Sure they will make their fair share of mistakes but thats why you get good goaltending.

I think Stockton is going to surprise this year. They'll contend IMO. 

the process to round out the Heat's roster is continuing. Signed the former captain of the Syracuse Crunch on top of the rumor they have signed the Russian dman. Still no confirmation from anyone reputable on that report though. This one is for sure an AHL only deal whereas some speculation the Russian Dman may be an NHL deal. 

Leaderships and vets are needed so i like the approach. Going to be a very young team in Stockton this year so woudn't shock me to see another 2-3 of these and a dman too. 

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index.ssf/2016/08/former_syracuse_crunch_captain_mike_angelidis_lands_ahl_pact.html

What position does Angelidis play ?

....and someone like Tyson Strachan could give that blueine a bit of a bite becuase it's looks pretty soft down there right now.Strachan is also a RH shot that would help and also provide a call up if necessay for a RH shot. 

I remember watching a Sabres game a couple seasons ago at the Dome trying to look for Ristolainen all over the ice.  There was always this big 6'-3" RHS RD from the Sabres that caught my eye and did some pretty solid things defensively.  I kept watching and thinking, "oh is that Ristolainen?" only to find out it was Strachan.  And he did it to me shift after shift after shift.  

There's no offense with Strachan but boy is he textbook defensively.  He was -30 that season with the Sabres and i think that stat hurts his NHL outlook, although it was the Sabres and he can't be faulted for that.  He's not the fastest guy out there but he's big and has a great reach... a RHS Jokipakka sorta.  If we can get him into the organization, then i think he can play a bottom pairing role if necessary.  Otherwise, he would be a tremendous add to the Heat.

• 3 weeks later...

http://stocktonheat.com/news/heat-sign-five-to-ahl-deals/

Stockton officially announced the Angelidis deal, plus they asigned Matt Frattin, Jamie Devane, Ryan Lomberg and Roman Dyukov.

Angelidis, Frattin and Devane give Stockton some much needed veteran presence. Lomberg and Dyukov add some youthful depth.

Solid signings all around.

http://stocktonheat.com/news/heat-sign-five-to-ahl-deals/

Stockton officially announced the Angelidis deal, plus they asigned Matt Frattin, Jamie Devane, Ryan Lomberg and Roman Dyukov.

Angelidis, Frattin and Devane give Stockton some much needed veteran presence. Lomberg and Dyukov add some youthful depth.

Solid signings all around.

I agree, some solid leadership and some size so our top prospects don't get pushed around.

I'm actually impressed with how BT cleaned house at this level so there are now only the real hopefuls remaining to be developed. There should be some serious concentration on our top prospects.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎11 at 5:17 PM, MAC331 said:

I agree, some solid leadership and some size so our top prospects don't get pushed around.

I'm actually impressed with how BT cleaned house at this level so there are now only the real hopefuls remaining to be developed. There should be some serious concentration on our top prospects.

Would this be a good time to start assembling the roster for Stockton.

FORWARDS

Mangiapane, Jankowski, Pribyl

Pollock, Angelidis, Poirier

Klimchuk, Vey, Frattin

Devane, Lomberg, Smith

Carroll,

DEFENSE

Culkin, Morrison

Wotherspoon, Anderssen

Dyukov, Kanzig

Valkowsky

GOALIES