Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

Stockton, Calif. – The Stockton Heat, proudly owned by the NHL’s Calgary Flames, announce the signing of current camp attendees Mikkel Aagard, Kayle Doetzel to AHL contracts and Stepan Falkovsky to an AHL/ECHL contract.  The team also has invited forward Luke Adam and defensemen Colby Robak and Mikhail Grigorev to attend Heat camp on tryouts.

Aagaard, 20, played for the Flames during all three games during the 2016 Penticton Young Stars Classic, scoring a goal and recording 9 shots.  Aagaard began his career playing junior hockey for his hometown team in Frederikshavn, Denmark and quickly moved into playing pro hockey both in second and first divisions Frederikshavn squads. 

Most recently, Aagaard came over to North America to play in the OHL with the Niagara IceDogs and Sudbury Wolves.  In 123 OHL games, Aagaard has scored 39 goals and added 55 assists.

Doetzel, 21, enters his first pro season after five years and 292 games patrolling the blueline for the Western Hockey League’s Red Deer Rebels.  An invite to the Edmonton Oilers training camp, Doetzel played two of three games with the Oilers during the 2016 Penticton Young Stars Classic, finishing the tournament plus-2 and recording 12 penalty minutes.

Falkovsky, 19, enters his first pro season after being drafted by the Calgary Flames in the seventh round, 186 overall during the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. The 6’7” defenseman played for the Ottawa 67’s of the OHL last season, registering 32 points in 58 games during his first North American campaign. Previously, Falkovsky played junior and pro hockey in his home country of Belarus.

I am happy that they found Falkovsky a place to play, I am guessing he will start in Adirondack.

I am also glad that they are giving Grigoriev a chance at the AHL level. There is talent there, just not sure has what it takes to be an NHL regular, but he deserves more of a look.

Aagaard didn't stand as much for me as for other people at the Rookie tournament, but it never hurts to get young talent into the organization, even it is only at the AHL level.

32 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am happy that they found Falkovsky a place to play, I am guessing he will start in Adirondack.

I am also glad that they are giving Grigoriev a chance at the AHL level. There is talent there, just not sure has what it takes to be an NHL regular, but he deserves more of a look.

Aagaard didn't stand as much for me as for other people at the Rookie tournament, but it never hurts to get young talent into the organization, even it is only at the AHL level.

I agree with the assessment.  I hope that Grigoriev signs the ATO, since he would be a good guy to have as a future option.  His skating is up there with Kylington, and he seems pretty fearless.  Small, but experienced.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I like that Stockton is going to be a much deepr team this year. Should give Huska and crew more to work with and better integrate the prospects with the depth in behind them. 

I think Heat are going to be good this year. 

Question. Do the Flames use Adirondak for their excess players once the Stockton roster is selected and do we share that team or will it be all Flames prospects ?

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Question. Do the Flames use Adirondak for their excess players once the Stockton roster is selected and do we share that team or will it be all Flames prospects ?

Yes, Adirondack is owned by the Flames. A guy like Mason McDonald will probably start in Adirondack.

Adirondack is more like a farm team for Stockton. There might be a couple Flames prospects in Adirondack (McDonald, Falkovsky) but mostly it will low end guys trying to make the jump to the AHL.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Yes, Adirondack is owned by the Flames. A guy like Mason McDonald will probably start in Adirondack.

Adirondack is more like a farm team for Stockton. There might be a couple Flames prospects in Adirondack (McDonald, Falkovsky) but mostly it will low end guys trying to make the jump to the AHL.

THX JT

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎05 at 1:39 PM, JTech780 said:

I liked Aagaard's play in the rookie tournament and think he has a future to work on.

So what does a player have to do to stand out in your eyes MAC.? Looked to me like he did pretty good every time he was on the ice he made things happen did more for his cause than Poirier. I wouldn't be a bit surprised he passes by Poirier in the player standing. Hate to say it but Poirier will be a AHL regular nothing in his tool box to date to say any different at least to this point.  

1 hour ago, zima said:

So what does a player have to do to stand out in your eyes MAC.? Looked to me like he did pretty good every time he was on the ice he made things happen did more for his cause than Poirier. I wouldn't be a bit surprised he passes by Poirier in the player standing. Hate to say it but Poirier will be a AHL regular nothing in his tool box to date to say any different at least to this point.  

Who are we talking about Aagaard ? I like this guy. Poirier will need an exceptional season in Stockton to get back on the map. There are times some players have to re-invent themselves in order to adjust from what they were in Junior to what they may be in the NHL. Poirier may end up being no more than a bottom 6 RW or LW going forward but I wouldn't write him off yet.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Mark Jankowski scored a Hatty tonight in Stockton's first pre-season game of the year. Gillies stopped 19 of 21 shots. Frattin, Poirier and Kylington with the assists as Stockton beat Tucson 3-2.

I have hi hopes for that kid. I don't need him to be a #1C, but seeing him succeed will be nice considering the mixed fanfare he received. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I have hi hopes for that kid. I don't need him to be a #1C, but seeing him succeed will be nice considering the mixed fanfare he received. 

I have no hesitation in saying Jankowski will have been worth the wait. I also believe having him play most of the year in Stockton is the right move.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 7:54 AM, MAC331 said:

Would this be a good time to start assembling the roster for Stockton.

FORWARDS

Mangiapane, Jankowski, Pribyl

Pollock, Angelidis, Poirier

Klimchuk, Vey, Frattin

Devane, Lomberg, Smith

Carroll,

DEFENSE

Culkin, Morrison

Wotherspoon, Anderssen

Dyukov, Kanzig

Valkowsky

GOALIES

Gillies & Riitch

Come on Mac. If you ever aspire to do a GDT start to use some simple formatting.

Fixed that up a bit for you.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎06 at 11:47 AM, JTech780 said:

So how many ex-games for Stockton before cuts fall into Adirondack ? and when does their season start ?

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Mason McDonald was assigned to Adirondack of the ECHL.

A little disappointing to see him fall, but this is the best spot for him. He still has the skills and potential to be in the NHL sometime in the near future.

With Gilles ready to get the bulk of the starts this was clearly the most likely scenario. Regardless if how well McDonald played. 

That said, this was a really tough preseason for the prospect. Hopefully he can pull it together this year.