Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

AsesDaHT_bigger.jpgScott CruickshankVerified account@CruickshankCH 4h4 hours ago

#Flames' farm team in Stockton signs Colton Orr to AHL deal.

Guess we need to sign a tough guy for the Heat every year.

The enforcer position is still very much alive and well in the AHL. I read a tweet earlier that said that the California division us chalk full of enforcers.

I wonder if Witherspoon is still in the long terms after the way bob hartley spoke about him after being cut.

I think he still has another year. This was really wotherspoons first came he came in to 100% healthy basically since the flames drafted him. I think he gets 1 more year to try and assert himself but he is getting passed very quickly by others in the organization.

I took Hartleys words as a challenge to him and not a warning.

New thread for new team and new year.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=781675&navid=DL|CGY|home

Flames acquire Feddie Hamilton from the AVS for a conditional pick.  To be assigned to the Heat.

Hopefully the Flames' system can jumpstart Freddie's career and get him rolling.

Pick was a 7th rounder I believe.

Conditional 7th (I'm a little curious as to what the condition was).

Definitely not against this trade. Freddie is still young, still has potential. Is versatile as a C and RW, which is nice for as as a RHS RW (especially one who can play C and take faceoffs) in the system is something we don't have a lot of.

AsesDaHT_bigger.jpgScott CruickshankVerified account@CruickshankCH 4h4 hours ago

#Flames' farm team in Stockton signs Colton Orr to AHL deal.

Guess we need to sign a tough guy for the Heat every year.

I hope this does no take away ice time from a prospect

Does anyone know what kind of player Freddie Hamilton is and what an NHL team would want him to turn into?

Does anyone know what kind of player Freddie Hamilton is and what an NHL team would want him to turn into?

Adirondack missed the playoffs last season. Sometimes you need players like Walter, Street, Kolanos, etc to provide stability and experience to the team. Hamilton is also still a prospect. He was drafted the same year as Bill Arnold for example.

I can't remember ever watching him so I can't say for sure what he could be. But from what I have read he looks like what you want from a fourth liner. Defensively responsible with good size who can play the PK. I doubt he is going to be a scoring forward, but he might develop into a depth forward.

But even as a career AHL player he had value. The pick was also conditional. My guess it is based on the number of NHL games he plays.

If a prospect can't outplay Colton Orr for a spot than they really aren't that great of a prospect. There is still a fair bit of goonery in the AHL so need to have an enforcer that can protect the kids, or else you will have guys taking runs at prospects trying to make a name for himself.

As far as Freddie Hamilton goes, think a better skating RHS Max Reinhart and that's Freddie Hamilton.

I think he still has another year. This was really wotherspoons first came he came in to 100% healthy basically since the flames drafted him. I think he gets 1 more year to try and assert himself but he is getting passed very quickly by others in the organization.

I took Hartleys words as a challenge to him and not a warning.

The words were harsh.  Hartley basically said, decoded: "we don't like you.  You need to be somebody that you are not."  Man, how does a kid suddenly change his game and bring more sandpaper, play smashmouth hockey, etc when he's not done it ever and was not drafted to do so?  It's asking a lot.

I felt Wotherspoon was asked to be more like Seiloff and Kulak.  So then, why don't the Flames just use Seiloff and Kulak?  I think Wotherspoon is basically done.

The words were harsh.  Hartley basically said, decoded: "we don't like you.  You need to be somebody that you are not."  Man, how does a kid suddenly change his game and bring more sandpaper, play smashmouth hockey, etc when he's not done it ever and was not drafted to do so?  It's asking a lot.

I felt Wotherspoon was asked to be more like Seiloff and Kulak.  So then, why don't the Flames just use Seiloff and Kulak?  I think Wotherspoon is basically done.

That's certainly one way of looking at it. :unsure:

Or, you could look at it like "here's a piece of criticism about your game that we want you to improve on.  Work on this in Stockton, and we'll keep an eye on how you're doing".

The words weren't harsh.  Blunt sure, but not harsh at all.  Hartley cited a clear-cut example of something he feels he wants out of TSpoon.  Nobody improves without criticism, and critiquing is part of what training camp is about.  How are you to know what to improve on if nobody tells you?

I'm sure TSpoon has endured criticism and critiquing of his game ever since he started playing...every single player (including Gretzky, Crosby, Lemeiux, and Ovetchkin) have had someone somewhere point out something they needed to improve on.  How they react to it shows what kind of person they are.  The results show whether or not they are capable of the level expected of them.

If Hartley were to tell him "I need you to be the second coming of Scott Stevens", then yes I could see there being an issue with expectations.  Hartley didn't say this.  He said "fix and improve this part".

That's certainly one way of looking at it. :unsure:

Or, you could look at it like "here's a piece of criticism about your game that we want you to improve on.  Work on this in Stockton, and we'll keep an eye on how you're doing".

The words weren't harsh.  Blunt sure, but not harsh at all.  Hartley cited a clear-cut example of something he feels he wants out of TSpoon.  Nobody improves without criticism, and critiquing is part of what training camp is about.  How are you to know what to improve on if nobody tells you?

I'm sure TSpoon has endured criticism and critiquing of his game ever since he started playing...every single player (including Gretzky, Crosby, Lemeiux, and Ovetchkin) have had someone somewhere point out something they needed to improve on.  How they react to it shows what kind of person they are.  The results show whether or not they are capable of the level expected of them.

If Hartley were to tell him "I need you to be the second coming of Scott Stevens", then yes I could see there being an issue with expectations.  Hartley didn't say this.  He said "fix and improve this part".

Have to agree, but it is a generational thing when it comes to productive criticism. Simply here is what we need from you in order to make the team, actually any team. The stay at home Dman is only effective if they play a hard nose game. If wotherspoon can't play that type of game than trade him or don't sign him and let him go across seas. Step up or step out, this will either ignite him or deflate, time will tell what kind of player he is going to be.

Have to agree, but it is a generational thing when it comes to productive criticism. Simply here is what we need from you in order to make the team, actually any team. The stay at home Dman is only effective if they play a hard nose game. If wotherspoon can't play that type of game than trade him or don't sign him and let him go across seas. Step up or step out, this will either ignite him or deflate, time will tell what kind of player he is going to be.

I think he has some grit, but lacks the mobility that is typical of every Flame defenseman.  Even Engelland will rush the ice, but back off at the blueline.  Kulak has that and an ok defensive game, while Spoon just has the D side.  Easy choice for a coach. 

I would say the opposite and agree with tmac. I think Wotherspoon has the mobility but he doesn't have the grit and never has as that was something I didn't like about him even in junior he would never play to his size. You're right that Wotherspoon is not one to rush the puck but I dont' think thats a lack of mobility issue its just not something he has had in his game.

Thats where Wotherspoon is running intro trouble. He wants to be a defensive dman but he doesn't play to his size and that puts him at a disadavntage. You could try to make him a more completed dman and get him to skate with the puck but that would require changing his instincts and in the offensive zone he's never been good at getting the puck to the net anyway.

I have always compared Wotherspoon to Butler and I stand by that comparison. Meh would be the most complete description of him.

He lacks bite. He isn't great at anything. He could play in the NHL, but if he is on your roster it's because of a lack of options rather then because he is bringing anything to the team.

Harsh comments for sure. But he hasn't done anything to dispute them. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames move him for another troubled prospect.