Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I know we have cap issues, but it would be nice to reward players from the Heat.

Gawdin leading the team with 31p in 29 games

Phillips just a point back with 30p in 18 games

Gawdin, Ohillips and Quine all averaging more than a p/gp.

Goal scoring leaders:

Phillips 14g 

Robinson and Philps both 13g

Gawdin and Lomberg both 10g 

• 5 months later...

Was reading a stortu about Flames prospects being invited to WJC "camps".

Nothing earth shattering, but there was a piece about Greg Moro, who was signed by the Heat in April.

Item Four: Greg Moro Named Best Defenseman at Clarkson University

The 24-year-old Flames prospect Greg Moro was named the best defenseman at Clarkson University (a small liberal arts university in New York State). After four seasons with the Clarkson Golden Knights, he signed an AHL contract with the Stockton Heat in April.

4️⃣3️⃣ goals 🚨
1️⃣2️⃣5️⃣ points ✅

These 3️⃣ were the BEST of the best this year. Congratulations to the #ECACHockey Player of the Year Finalists!

READ ➡️https://bit.ly/2F3hLsU 

View image on Twitter

It was the second season in a row that he was named Best Defenseman of the Year. Moro was also a finalist for the ECAC Defenseman of the Year. He finished his senior season with seven points (1 goal and 6 assists) and was an alternate captain. During his four-year career, he scored 20 points (5 goals and 15 assists) and helped lead the Golden Knights to the ECAC conference championship 2018-19.

Moro, a native of Edmonton, Alberta, played junior hockey with the SJHL’s Humboldt Broncos and the AJHL’s Lloydminster Bobcats before heading east to play with Clarkson ahead of the 2016-17 season. He was part of Clarkson’s third-ranked NCAA defense, that only gave up 1.85 goals per game.

Related: 6 Vancouver Canucks Forward Prospects Moving Up the System

Moro is a rare right-shot, shutdown defenseman. At 6-foot-4 and 207 pounds, he has the size and skills the Flames need in their system.

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

See! I thought that this was the only logical solution this season. I get there needs to be a bureaucracy involved but it only makes sense. 

no one ever listens to me though lol

The Flames said early on that there was no way they could afford it.

This is a drastic situation where the county won't even let them play.

There would be almost zero revenue for the cost of hosting their games.

SJS's team is playing in Tuscon, which makes more sense.

Since we are in the same division, why not play somewhere similar.

Utah or somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The Flames said early on that there was no way they could afford it.

This is a drastic situation where the county won't even let them play.

There would be almost zero revenue for the cost of hosting their games.

SJS's team is playing in Tuscon, which makes more sense.

Since we are in the same division, why not play somewhere similar.

Utah or somewhere else.

i still think it makes more sense to play in the host cities because of the quarantine thing. Money is important but AHL teams won’t be making any and the need for players to continue to develop is important for long term NHL stability. So prospects need to play. 

plus players won’t need to quarantine if called up. They should just piggyback the schedules to the nhl teams.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i still think it makes more sense to play in the host cities because of the quarantine thing. Money is important but AHL teams won’t be making any and the need for players to continue to develop is important for long term NHL stability. So prospects need to play. 

plus players won’t need to quarantine if called up. They should just piggyback the schedules to the nhl teams.

Oh, I know the quarantine thing would be a big advantage to us.

Actually it puts us in the same footing as every CDN team except EDM.

I have no idea how the revenue thing works for the AHL teams.

The big question mark is would Alberta allow more hockey, considering they are barely considering WHL.

It's not a done deal even if they can;t play in Cali.

• 4 weeks later...

Tough afternoon for the Heat so far.

Ugly stat line for Wolf, but 2 goals were off bodies, one was goalie interference you could argue, one was an egregious Zary turnover. I would really only fault him on one goal, which was short handed and a rather ugly sequence from the Heat PP players.

Pettersen-Ruzicka-Phillips line could be really good this year. 

I think Zavgorodniy has been their best player so far. He’s had several chances, ringing one off the crossbar.

Zary had a costly turnover on the games opening goal, but otherwise haven’t minded his pro debut. In the offensive zone, he fits right in. It’s the defensive zone and the other details that are lacking a bit. That’s fine because these early games are found money for Zary and Wolf. Get to introduce them to the pro game a year early, before they head back to junior 

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Tough afternoon for the Heat so far.

Ugly stat line for Wolf, but 2 goals were off bodies, one was goalie interference you could argue, one was an egregious Zary turnover. I would really only fault him on one goal, which was short handed and a rather ugly sequence from the Heat PP players.

Pettersen-Ruzicka-Phillips line could be really good this year. 

I think Zavgorodniy has been their best player so far. He’s had several chances, ringing one off the crossbar.

Zary had a costly turnover on the games opening goal, but otherwise haven’t minded his pro debut. In the offensive zone, he fits right in. It’s the defensive zone and the other details that are lacking a bit. That’s fine because these early games are found money for Zary and Wolf. Get to introduce them to the pro game a year early, before they head back to junior 

They started the game on time and were outshooting the Marlies by like 7 to 0.

You can see that they haven;t played at all.

Hard to judge at tis point, but I did like Zav and Ruzicka so far.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They started the game on time and were outshooting the Marlies by like 7 to 0.

You can see that they haven;t played at all.

Hard to judge at tis point, but I did like Zav and Ruzicka so far.

Ruzicka certainly has all the tools. If he can consistently put it all together, he will see NHL time 

Hard to judge any of the players on game like this, most of these players haven't played a game in close to a year.

Pettersen has stood out the most for me, he looks confident out there, really skilled, quick.

Phillips looks really good as well.

Pospisil's skating has really improved, and he is playing center.

Kirkland is big and physical.

Ruzicka looks disinterested, haven't really been impressed. 

Zavgorodniy has a good shot, needs to get stronger.

Zary has looked ok, not quite ready for pro hockey.

Wolf looked rusty.

Another tough night for the Heat.

They are a young team and it shows. Some lax coverage defensively. Didn't exactly get stellar play from Sparks last night. 

I liked Philp and Zavgorodniy last night. Philp in particular was a round it all night, 2 posts and several other chances. Zavgorodniy needs to add some muscle, but I find he isn't shy about going to the hard areas. 

See how the next few games play out, but I think Philp or Phillips would be next man up, in regards to a promotion. I wouldn't mind either, the Flames struggle to score and I think a little infusion of youth wouldn't be the worst thing