Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After watching the rookie game last night and a bit of the one from Sunday, I wouldn't mind seeing Igor Merezhko get an AHL deal. He has good size, moves the puck well enough, has good body position and can be physical.

I also thought Adam Ollas-Mattsson looked strong, played a safe game, but doesn't make many mistakes.

Healey looked terrible, he's slow, has almost no puck skills and can barely make an outlet pass. He is physical, but that is about all he brings to the table.

Yasin Ehliz struggled a lot in the game I watched last night, for guy that is 25 and played pro hockey in Germany and was known their Olympic team, I expected much more.

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

After watching the rookie game last night and a bit of the one from Sunday, I wouldn't mind seeing Igor Merezhko get an AHL deal. He has good size, moves the puck well enough, has good body position and can be physical.

I also thought Adam Ollas-Mattsson looked strong, played a safe game, but doesn't make many mistakes.

Healey looked terrible, he's slow, has almost no puck skills and can barely make an outlet pass. He is physical, but that is about all he brings to the table.

Yasin Ehliz struggled a lot in the game I watched last night, for guy that is 25 and played pro hockey in Germany and was known their Olympic team, I expected much more.

Ehliz was playing on the "4th" line, so his linemates were not that good.  I'm going to say he needs to get his feet under him in the AHL.    Pollock has be a nice surprise.  Two goals in the last two games scored on one-timers.  When was the last Flame to do that?

AOM was the best defender out there on our side, I thought.  

Svedberg is probably going to be signed to an AHL deal.

Merezhko - does he take up an overager and import spot on the Lethbridge Canes?  If so, he likely gets a deal.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Also has little to no experience on NHL sized ice. Most European players seem to have this problem. I also imagine he is going to be starting in the AHL, and may be a late season 4th line call up.

On the other hand, Dube seems to be having a huge impact on his linemates, no matter who they are. That is a pretty positive sign.

Stockton is going to have a deep group at forward this year. It seems like there was a bit of a shift in mentality in Stockton, from just letting the kids play, now this year they loaded up a bit. 

I think they will still rely on the kids but they have insulated the Dube's, Phillips' and Gawdin's with guys like Graovac, Robinson, Rychel. It should be a good team this season.

• 2 weeks later...

With valamaki making the flames, the heat d corp now looks pretty bleak. To be clear I'm not saying this is a negative at all because the priority should always be the NHL club but without valamaki I don't think the heat will be that great this year. If they are, it's probably because parsons is an AHL all star. He's going to face a ton of shots, as he did last night. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎01 at 1:33 PM, cross16 said:

With valamaki making the flames, the heat d corp now looks pretty bleak. To be clear I'm not saying this is a negative at all because the priority should always be the NHL club but without valamaki I don't think the heat will be that great this year. If they are, it's probably because parsons is an AHL all star. He's going to face a ton of shots, as he did last night. 

The forward group looks to have plenty to work with but the D has one RHS and all the rest are LHS of questionable quality.

Through six games, the Heat are 2-3-1 and in 5th place in the division.  Not stellar.  Here are your current leaders:

Goals: Rychel (4), Graovac/Foo (3)

Assists: Graovac/Mangiapagne (5), Robinson (4)

+/-: Graovac (2), Watson (1)...Everyone else is zero or minus (Foo at -7, yikes!)

Shots: Rychel/Foo (17), Lazar (14)

PIM: Mangiapagne (8), Lazar (6), Graovac (5)

GAA: Gilles (4.79), Parsons (4.91)

Sv%: Gilles (0.852), Parsons (0.831)

Those are some ugly goaltending stats...

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Through six games, the Heat are 2-3-1 and in 5th place in the division.  Not stellar.  Here are your current leaders:

Goals: Rychel (4), Graovac/Foo (3)

Assists: Graovac/Mangiapagne (5), Robinson (4)

+/-: Graovac (2), Watson (1)...Everyone else is zero or minus (Foo at -7, yikes!)

Shots: Rychel/Foo (17), Lazar (14)

PIM: Mangiapagne (8), Lazar (6), Graovac (5)

GAA: Gilles (4.79), Parsons (4.91)

Sv%: Gilles (0.852), Parsons (0.831)

Those are some ugly goaltending stats...

Here's a perspective from a season ticket holder that covers their games.  The last two were at least more promising.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/10/22/stockton-heat-split-weekend-games-against-san-jose-barracuda/

• 2 weeks later...

So things have improved over the last week.  Stockton is now 4-4-1 through nine games, good for fourth in the division.  Trending the right direction.  Here are the team leaders as of today.

Goals: Rychel (5), Gawdin/Foo/Mangiapagne (4)

Assists: Graovac/Mangiapagne (7), Robinson (5)

+/-: Mattson (0), all other active skaters are in the negative...

Shots: Foo (28), Lazar/Mangiapagne/Rychel (21)

PIM: Lazar (12), Lomberg/O'brien (10)

GAA: Parsons (4.91), Gilles (5.08)

Sv%: Gilles (0.846), Parsons (0.831)

Defensively, the team is pretty bad, and the goaltending is not good enough to cover them.  Offensively though, we seem to be getting some nice contributions.  Mang is heating up a bit (4 points in last 3 games), and Rychel is showing to be pretty good depth as well.  Graovac has also been a nice surprise (at least to me).  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎01 at 9:32 AM, ABC923 said:

So things have improved over the last week.  Stockton is now 4-4-1 through nine games, good for fourth in the division.  Trending the right direction.  Here are the team leaders as of today.

Goals: Rychel (5), Gawdin/Foo/Mangiapagne (4)

Assists: Graovac/Mangiapagne (7), Robinson (5)

+/-: Mattson (0), all other active skaters are in the negative...

Shots: Foo (28), Lazar/Mangiapagne/Rychel (21)

PIM: Lazar (12), Lomberg/O'brien (10)

GAA: Parsons (4.91), Gilles (5.08)

Sv%: Gilles (0.846), Parsons (0.831)

Defensively, the team is pretty bad, and the goaltending is not good enough to cover them.  Offensively though, we seem to be getting some nice contributions.  Mang is heating up a bit (4 points in last 3 games), and Rychel is showing to be pretty good depth as well.  Graovac has also been a nice surprise (at least to me).  

We need better results from these two Goaltenders. I don't see these games so whether the defense is terrible and giving up way to many quality scoring chances, thigs need to tighten up obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been some ups and downs the last few weeks, but following a 3 game winning streak the heat are now 8-7-1, good enough for third in the pacific division.  Here are your leaders.

Goals: Rychel (7), Kylington (6), Graovac/Mangiapagne/Gawdin (5)

Assists: Graovac (8), Kylington/Lazar/Mangiapagne (7)

Points: Kylington/Graovac (13), Mangiapagne (12), Lazar (11)

+/-: Mattson (4), Lomberg/Peluso (2)

Shots: Foo (44), Lazar (35), Robson (33)

PIM: Peluso (25), Gawdin (20), Lazar (14)

GAA: Schneider (1.12), Gilles (4.55)

Sv%: Schneider (.962), Gilles (0.856)

Some standout performances should be acknowledged.  First off, Kylington has really poured it on as of late in order to sit 2nd in goals and in a tie for the points lead.  Very impressive considering he's a defenseman and was not really in the conversation for those ranks at the beginning of the month.  The other big shout out goes to Schneider, who has backstopped the heat over the three game winning streak, putting up some impressive numbers.  Gilles has brought his numbers down a bit as well, but in his limited showing thus far, schneider has greatly outshone both Parsons and Gilles.  Not sure if one of those two guys is hurt right now, but Schneider is making the case to stick around regardless.

On the down side of things, Mangiapagne has managed just 1 point in the last 7 games after a pretty solid start.  Klimchuk has also really fallen off this year, with only 4 points thus far.

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

On the down side of things, Mangiapagne has managed just 1 point in the last 7 games after a pretty solid start. 

Probably because he hasn't played in over a week.

zw4eiDTH_bigger.jpgStockton HeatVerified account @AHLHeat
FollowFollow @AHLHeat
More

Forward Andrew Mangiapane will be out of the lineup for approximately a week with a lower body injury.

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

On the goaltending idea, I wonder if we see MacDonald at one point. Noticed today he is off to a great start int he ECHL. Yet to lose a game at 6-0 with a 2.26 GAA and .920 Save %. Small sample size, but could be earning another AHL shot. 

I think Schneider is actually doing better at the AHL level.  

3 games started.

3 goals against.

1.12 GAA.

.962 SA%

It says he played 4 games, but I think he only started 3.  3 wins no losses.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think Schneider is actually doing better at the AHL level.  

3 games started.

3 goals against.

1.12 GAA.

.962 SA%

It says he played 4 games, but I think he only started 3.  3 wins no losses.

He is and as I said above I'd like to see Schneider kept going I just wonder if Macdonald keeps this up does he get another shot.

both are young so premature to write either off. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He is and as I said above I'd like to see Schneider kept going I just wonder if Macdonald keeps this up does he get another shot.

both are young so premature to write either off. 

Sure.  MacDonald has never been able to do anything up to this point, so the rope is pretty short.  You are right though.  Give up too early and you might miss out.

• 3 weeks later...