Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

2 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:
OT      
8:52 SJ Ryan Carpenter (4) ASST: Barclay Goodrow (3) (SH)

I imagine Shinkaruk will be getting drunk tonight......

Gillies was phenomenal to the nth degree!!!

Vey should be buying lol. Janks with the clean o-zone win and he forces that wobbler to Kostka *sigh*

Gillies definitely gave us a chance and had no chance on that winning snipe.

Dang we almost had them...compliments of Gillies.

Reading around a bit was painful, with too many saying "Kostka pulled a Wideman", just retarded. Vey's pass to him was so dumb, 2 'cudas forwards moving forward and Kostka is the only defender back. Vey sends him a total wobbler when he should have seen the 2 forwards pressuring the point. Huge risk by Vey when you're 3-on-2 down low. Throw it down low. Huge risk by Vey led to the goal. Waay to casual, or he just panicked himself and threw the panic at the only dman who can get back.

Vey's guy sniped the winner. Vey was nowhere to be seen.

Are we doomed to lose on constant "one bonehead play"?

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Reading around a bit was painful, with too many saying "Kostka pulled a Wideman", just retarded. Vey's pass to him was so dumb, 2 'cudas forwards moving forward and Kostka is the only defender back. Vey sends him a total wobbler when he should have seen the 2 forwards pressuring the point. Huge risk by Vey when you're 3-on-2 down low. Throw it down low. Huge risk by Vey led to the goal. Waay to casual, or he just panicked himself and threw the panic at the only dman who can get back.

Vey's guy sniped the winner. Vey was nowhere to be seen.

Are we doomed to lose on constant "one bonehead play"?

Let's hope that the bolded is true next season.  Something about ex-Canucks that can ruin a team.

We've had a few recently; Bartkowsky, Shinkaruk, Vey.  Maybe they should trade for Barclay Goodrow, just to drive announcers like Dave Randorf nuts.  

45 minutes ago, zima said:

how did Dube do in his first pro game Im glad thay gave him the nod

He didn't see much ice from what I could tell. Deciding game in a series it's understandable that you don't throw rookies at it just because. Would've been nice to take down SJ to give Dube more time to get in for the next series. So it goes...

Rittich was fantastic in the first, but didn't return. Word is that he was ill and couldn't carry on after the 1st. Makes you wonder if it was nerves/stress in a big game, but that is conjecture. Gillies made some unreal saves in relief. We had our chances in this one, no doubt. ALMOST took down the top team in the Pacific, man, oh man that would have been nice...soooo close.

Amazed they called SJ shots 52, I believe. The commentators called it 52 at the start of OT, so should have made it around 58. Guess it depends on who is counting.

They outshot us pretty much 2-1, but dammit, we had them.

Thanx conundrumed to get that many shots against means we shouldn't have won any way. But on a good note I think we have our next backup next yr I think Rittich only because I believe they want Gillies to be ready by mid season or season after who knows I bet Parsons will be pro next yr. Parsons might just pass Gillies the kid is a monster out there but saying that so was Laurent Brossoit look where he ended up although Brossoit never won a gold.I guess you just never know what your going to get in a prospect they kill it in the juniors and some times not so much in the pro's. Look at me ramble on.

22 minutes ago, zima said:

Thanx conundrumed to get that many shots against means we shouldn't have won any way. But on a good note I think we have our next backup next yr I think Rittich only because I believe they want Gillies to be ready by mid season or season after who knows I bet Parsons will be pro next yr. Parsons might just pass Gillies the kid is a monster out there but saying that so was Laurent Brossoit look where he ended up although Brossoit never won a gold.I guess you just never know what your going to get in a prospect they kill it in the juniors and some times not so much in the pro's. Look at me ramble on.

Success in junior and WJC does not equate to succes at the pro level.  No reason to get too far ahead of yourself on Parsons.

He looks to be a great prospect, but that's all he is right now.  Goaltender development is impossible to predict.  Gillies looked to be a star coming out of college and had a down year after his injury/surgery.  MacDonald was thought to be just playing on a bad CHL team, but that appears to be mostly him.

I think that Gillies has the potential to be a NHL starter.  His size and athletics set him up for success.  He looked more than adequate in the one NHL game he played, but much like Ortio, you have to show more than one game.  His success in the AHL will go a long way towards making the NHL.  Last year was bad, but he played on a young team.  Should do better this year.

Parsons is a bit smaller, but is a big game player.  He battles to the end.  If he plays in the AHL this year, then he could take some big steps in his development.  Need to make room, if that is the case.   

Here's how we are this offseason:

Gillies - RFA

Rittich - RFA

Goalies on ELC's next year

McDonald

Schneider

Parsons

I would think there's a few scenario's

Don't sign Rittich

Sign both, one becomes the NHL backup

Parsons goes back to Jr

Someone is traded

Tre's got a bit of untangling to do, not a lot, but it's pretty convoluted right now.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Here's how we are this offseason:

Gillies - RFA

Rittich - RFA

Goalies on ELC's next year

McDonald

Schneider

Parsons

I would think there's a few scenario's

Don't sign Rittich

Sign both, one becomes the NHL backup

Parsons goes back to Jr

Someone is traded

Tre's got a bit of untangling to do, not a lot, but it's pretty convoluted right now.

I think it would be fair to say that Rittich earned a new deal.

Also fair to say that MacDonald did nothing to further his cause.

Schneider had a good win/loss record but not a great SV%.

I think BT will sign one big name NHL goalie (Elliott, Bishop, trade for MAF, Raanta, etc.), which will allow the backup position to be filled by Rittich or Gillies; I lean towards using Rittich at this point.

Parsons would be better served (IMHO) being in the AHL, and pushing Gillies for the starter role.

MacDonald or Schneider will be fighting for an ECHL job, probably with McCollum.  Somebody is going to get cut.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think it would be fair to say that Rittich earned a new deal.

Also fair to say that MacDonald did nothing to further his cause.

Schneider had a good win/loss record but not a great SV%.

I think BT will sign one big name NHL goalie (Elliott, Bishop, trade for MAF, Raanta, etc.), which will allow the backup position to be filled by Rittich or Gillies; I lean towards using Rittich at this point.

Parsons would be better served (IMHO) being in the AHL, and pushing Gillies for the starter role.

MacDonald or Schneider will be fighting for an ECHL job, probably with McCollum.  Somebody is going to get cut.

I agree all over the place. It'll come down to Parsons in camp, it is a huge jump. He may be in the E to start is my thought, just to help him grow into it.

Rittich was a really good add by Tre imho.

Schneider wasn't on a very good Hat team, but the truth is his SV% has never been great. Yet his NHL camp play earned him an ELC so you just never really know.

CJ is with Team Canada at the IIHF tourney, so that'll be interesting to see, other goalies are Pickard and Eric Comrie. Tourney starts tomorrow so tune in!

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I agree all over the place. It'll come down to Parsons in camp, it is a huge jump. He may be in the E to start is my thought, just to help him grow into it.

Schneider wasn't on a very good Hat team, but the truth is his SV% has never been great. Yet his NHL camp play earned him an ELC so you just never really know.

CJ is with Team Canada at the IIHF tourney, so that'll be interesting to see, other goalies are Pickard and Eric Comrie. Tourney starts tomorrow so tune in!

You are right in that we need to keep one spot in the ECHL available for an AHL goalie to get a tune up.

Parsons will get some reps at the Young Stars tourney, so he may get a chance to impress there.  If not, then he probably gets sent to junior.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎04 at 3:45 PM, conundrumed said:

I would be surprised if there is an hurry for any of these prospect goalies to be in the NHL next season. Rittich at the AHL level could be a call up if injuries occur but he just came over and could use more time in Stockton. MacDonald will get more time where he is ECHL ad Schneider likely. They won't keep McCollum around. Parson returns to Junior. here is what I see for us at the NHL level, they go after Bishop, if they don't get him they move to Elliott, either way CJ is back as our back up.

8 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I would be surprised if there is an hurry for any of these prospect goalies to be in the NHL next season. Rittich at the AHL level could be a call up if injuries occur but he just came over and could use more time in Stockton. MacDonald will get more time where he is ECHL ad Schneider likely. They won't keep McCollum around. Parson returns to Junior. here is what I see for us at the NHL level, they go after Bishop, if they don't get him they move to Elliott, either way CJ is back as our back up.

IMHO, MacDonald and Gillies should be the A goalies.

If MacDonald is in the E next year I'd let him know his window is getting close to zero.

Start working with Schneider and Parsons.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

IMHO, MacDonald and Gillies should be the A goalies.

If MacDonald is in the E next year I'd let him know his window is getting close to zero.

Start working with Schneider and Parsons.

That may be exactly what MacDonald needs to hear at this stage. Does Parson not have another season of Junior ? Use it if he does is my thinking. This next season may be a case of it's not where they start but where they finish up. What happens at the NHL dictates the trickle down part, moving up will depend on how they do as individuals. Schneider doesn't get talked about much, is he at least a hopeful candidate to make the NHL ?

On 2017-05-04 at 10:17 AM, travel_dude said:

MacDonald was thought to be just playing on a bad CHL team, but that appears to be mostly him.

I don't think thats fair Mac faced over 35 shots most nights in junior and won lots of them maybe he is just having trouble adjusting to the speed in the next level. He could still become a great player like you said Goalies are impossible to predict. I think Mac will surprise everyone next yr and Parson might go to ECHL so they can turn him pro and could work his way into the AHL by mid season he is that good.There will be some changes players leaving and some coming in but I don't think we will retain our first this yr BT is a fart cookie I think we pick 16th this yr so getting a quality player is going to cost us that pick and a top prospect I just hope it's not Janks. I think Dube will get a Pro contract and Hickeys rights will be traded that or Fox I highly doubt he will come to Calgary he is going to be able to demand way to much on the open Market. Don't get me wrong would love to see both of them here just the College rules are crazy College players should be exempt from drafts or the players should have to adhere to same rules as any other draft pick.    

6 hours ago, zima said:

I don't think thats fair Mac faced over 35 shots most nights in junior and won lots of them maybe he is just having trouble adjusting to the speed in the next level. He could still become a great player like you said Goalies are impossible to predict. I think Mac will surprise everyone next yr and Parson might go to ECHL so they can turn him pro and could work his way into the AHL by mid season he is that good.There will be some changes players leaving and some coming in but I don't think we will retain our first this yr BT is a fart cookie I think we pick 16th this yr so getting a quality player is going to cost us that pick and a top prospect I just hope it's not Janks. I think Dube will get a Pro contract and Hickeys rights will be traded that or Fox I highly doubt he will come to Calgary he is going to be able to demand way to much on the open Market. Don't get me wrong would love to see both of them here just the College rules are crazy College players should be exempt from drafts or the players should have to adhere to same rules as any other draft pick.    

His save percentage in the ECHL was nothing to write home about either.  He's still young for a goalie, but you would like to see something positive.  Compare him to Demko, taken 2 spots later in 2014.  Demko had a better SA% in the AHL last year.  Doesn't mean I rate him higher (most do), but he did better in a better league.  Just saying.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

His save percentage in the ECHL was nothing to write home about either.  He's still young for a goalie, but you would like to see something positive.  Compare him to Demko, taken 2 spots later in 2014.  Demko had a better SA% in the AHL last year.  Doesn't mean I rate him higher (most do), but he did better in a better league.  Just saying.

Trade MacDonald to MON for Nathan Beaulieu D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...