Stockton Heat Updates [2016-2017]

And if you noticed, Poulin is a big part of that.  It also helps when you regularly shoot 40+ shots every game.  Very few time are they held to below 30. 

Even when they were losing they were generally still putting that many shots on net and from what i've heard were often the better team. Thats going to happen though when you lose as many goalies as they did and you have a pretty young d core. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes!

Injuries abound in Stockton.

Johnson, Kylington, & Smith out day to day with upper body injuries.

Arnold is out week to week with a lower body injury.

Now, Grant is out indefinitely with a fractured jaw sustained in practice.

Ep!

I wanted to get Grant up here post TDL.

Yikes!

Injuries abound in Stockton.

Johnson, Kylington, & Smith out day to day with upper body injuries.

Arnold is out week to week with a lower body injury.

Now, Grant is out indefinitely with a fractured jaw sustained in practice.

This is why we can't have nice things.....  Arnold just having a rough time, I don't think it's the same injury so at least it's not like it is a nagging propensity to be injured in a particular way, much like Bouma.  It's probably a silly question but for someone who hasn't sustained any sort of break or fracture, how bad is a jaw fracture? Obviously a broken or shattered jaw is brutal (See Hamhuis), I guess it would depend on the severity of the fracture correct?

• 4 weeks later...

Heat made a trade today. AHL trade only so this has no impact on the Flames but they picked up Yann Sauve. Only found this interesting because he was quite frequently mocked and linked to the Flames in the 2008 draft with their first round pick. Funny how things come full cicle sometimes.

With the Heat having a pretty young blueilne I think a AHL veteran presence like this will help. 

The #AHLHeat have acquired D-man Yann Sauve from the @PortlandPirates. Welcome Yann! http://bit.ly/1Yolcwv 

• 3 weeks later...

Nick Schneider made his pro debut tonight. He made 34 saves, letting in 3 goals and had a .919 save % in the loss.

Pretty solid pro debut IMO. I tend to like Schneider more becuae I think its a really cool story but he is quite talented and a nice depth piece to have. 

Pretty solid pro debut IMO. I tend to like Schneider more becuae I think its a really cool story but he is quite talented and a nice depth piece to have.

I thought he was quite impressive in the prospect tourney. A .919 save % is nothing to scoff at in a pro debut.

I thought he was quite impressive in the prospect tourney. A .919 save % is nothing to scoff at in a pro debut.

Seems to me clubs are so hestitant to draft goalies that gems always slip through. Not saying he will be the next coming of price or kipper, but he could be a good one for going undrafted.

Janko has looked really good in his debut.  He's already got his first point, and Huska has nothing but good things to say about him.

3:16 - Janko's first professional assist

Huska, Schneider, and Janko interviews

Stockton just won in OT to keep their playoff hopes alive. I am not 100% sure how the playoffs work in the AHL, especially with teams in the Pacific playing less games than everyone else.

They go with win %.  There is the possible cross-over (I think it is Charlotte that possibly could be in)

• 1 month later...

So a possible top 6 and top 4 next year

Mangiapane-jankowski-nylander

Poirier - grant - hamilton

- kylington - Anderson

Kulak - Morrison

Though Grant should really be in the NHL

Grant is a UFA. I'll be very suprised if he agrees to stay in Calgary and play in the AHL. He is looking for an NHL opporutnity. 

Grant is a UFA. I'll be very suprised if he agrees to stay in Calgary and play in the AHL. He is looking for an NHL opporutnity. 

If I had seeen some production out of Grant, I would have been more keen on re-signing him.  Points leader on the Baby Flames with less games played.  Just can't seem to put it together in the NHL.  Maybe a new NHL coach would help him, but I don't know that there is any room for him on the roster.  

It's hard to hold a spot for someone that doesn't score.  He battles hard, but you have to choose between him and a player like Jooris.  Jooris has produced at the NHL level and could become a valuable depth option for the Flames.  Grant, I'm not so sure.

So a possible top 6 and top 4 next year

Mangiapane-jankowski-nylander

Poirier - grant - hamilton

- kylington - Anderson

Kulak - Morrison

Though Grant should really be in the NHL

I don't think Nylander would be eligible to play in the AHL next year, would he?