Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

If you are going to cherry pick players with similar cap hits, remember that some of those were signed a long time ago.  Keith was signed for 13 years, with a declining salary (from $8m - $1.5m).  Seabrooke signed for 5 years after consistently putting up good numbers.  He will be a UFA the end of the season and likely gets more than Gio.

It's not like we signed Hamilton without seeing results in past seasons.  We paid more for the extra years of UFA status.

And if hamilton continues to get better as he has been the contract could end up like a steal, just like the ekman-larsen contract is really a steal, so is the brodie contract.

And if hamilton continues to get better as he has been the contract could end up like a steal, just like the ekman-larsen contract is really a steal, so is the brodie contract.

There is no doubt Hamilton was a special circumstance and he will have to develop into that contract. What I laugh at is some saying he is a bust already after 2 month here. LOL

I cannot believe the ignorance of some fans, seriously.

• Like 1

There is no doubt Hamilton was a special circumstance and he will have to develop into that contract. What I laugh at is some saying he is a bust already after 2 month here. LOL

I cannot believe the ignorance of some fans, seriously.

That's the truth he could take up until the new year, if he continues to play like recently it's going to look better and better. I don't think he's made mistakes as much recently and the 5th goal wasent his fault last night, I've heard some people say that. If granlund gets his stick on that we have a goal, and everyone is commending him on a great play.

Crazy to me that anyone would fault Hamilton for the 5th goal as he's made a great play to create a scoring chance. When your down 4-1 the D need to activate and Hamilton did and did so in a very safe and controlled way as a forward was back. That 5th goal was a combination of so/so job on Hudler taking that man and Hiller letting in a pretty bad goal. Hamilton did nothing wrong and IMO has been he flames best dman for probably the last week or so. He was very good last night and is one of the few players I can say that about

• Like 1

Crazy to me that anyone would fault Hamilton for the 5th goal as he's made a great play to create a scoring chance. When your down 4-1 the D need to activate and Hamilton did and did so in a very safe and controlled way as a forward was back. That 5th goal was a combination of so/so job on Hudler taking that man and Hiller letting in a pretty bad goal. Hamilton did nothing wrong and IMO has been he flames best dman for probably the last week or so. He was very good last night and is one of the few players I can say that about

I would also think that Russell playing halfway between the two forwards definitely left lots of time to make a clean pass or shoot.

Very little gap, and the pass may not be on the tape.  Too much and it really turns into a two on one.  You could see that Hudler had a good angle on the player, but Russell backing off gave enough room for a good pass.  It didn't have to be perfect. 

I would also think that Russell playing halfway between the two forwards definitely left lots of time to make a clean pass or shoot.

Very little gap, and the pass may not be on the tape.  Too much and it really turns into a two on one.  You could see that Hudler had a good angle on the player, but Russell backing off gave enough room for a good pass.  It didn't have to be perfect. 

Thats true, and vlasic made a great play on the puck even though hudler was all over him, could have taken the stick better though. I didnt like the way russell backed off so much on the play or how big hillers five hole was.

• 3 weeks later...

Xmas interim trade deadline is tonight so if no trades today it'll be quiet for a couple of weeks.  In the New Year I'm expecting the trade market to loosen up a bit as teams start to address needs before too much of the season goes by, while at the same time the playoff races start to come into closer focus and some teams start to fall out of contention.  Of course, TDL is just two months away which will come sooner than many think.

Again, BT seems busy knocking on doors and looking at possibilities to improve the team.  With Calgary getting back into the playoff picture its hard to imagine we'll be sellers, but perhaps 1-2 players if our call-ups continue to play well and earn their spots LT (e.g. Granlund).  I'm still hoping for a big upgrade i.e. Hamonic by trading off some experience in return but we'll have to see how the NYI go and what develops in the market.  

I would anticipate the Oilers market may be a lot quieter than anticipated just a couple weeks ago due to their recent run and expectation of improvement with injured players back, which may be good for us if we decide to trade Hudler, for instance.  

Xmas interim trade deadline is tonight so if no trades today it'll be quiet for a couple of weeks.  In the New Year I'm expecting the trade market to loosen up a bit as teams start to address needs before too much of the season goes by, while at the same time the playoff races start to come into closer focus and some teams start to fall out of contention.  Of course, TDL is just two months away which will come sooner than many think.

Again, BT seems busy knocking on doors and looking at possibilities to improve the team.  With Calgary getting back into the playoff picture its hard to imagine we'll be sellers, but perhaps 1-2 players if our call-ups continue to play well and earn their spots LT (e.g. Granlund).  I'm still hoping for a big upgrade i.e. Hamonic by trading off some experience in return but we'll have to see how the NYI go and what develops in the market.  

I would anticipate the Oilers market may be a lot quieter than anticipated just a couple weeks ago due to their recent run and expectation of improvement with injured players back, which may be good for us if we decide to trade Hudler, for instance.  

Hamonic would be a good Christmas present for us fans. Go BT Go !!!!

Honestly I think as a GM you have to resist all the hype about making the playoffs and make the right moves to keep building your team in the right way. Should the decision be made to not trade Hudler or any other regular you are sacrificing (possibly) the rebuild plan to improve for the future.

In all fairness, I think we could trade out Hudler and Backlund forwards with value and fill in within players like Frolik for Hudler and Colborne or Granlund for Backlund and not miss a beat. In the back end they could move one of Wideman or Russell and we likely don't hurt our own effort. Russell is the likely candidate to move being an upcoming FA however I wouldn't have to think very hard about trading Wideman if a decent offer came in.

• 4 weeks later...

At one time during the Flames hunt for a GM , Jim Benning was highly sought after. I could not be happier the Flames didn't sign him as GM. After seeing his management of the Canucks, especially the bizarre manner he recently broadcast Chris Higgins being on the trade block. The guy seems delusional! He honestly things he can get a high draft pick or prospect for Chris Higgins? Think he has 1 goal on the year. Canucks are going about their rebuild with no sense of direction...and I couldn't be happier lol

At one time during the Flames hunt for a GM , Jim Benning was highly sought after. I could not be happier the Flames didn't sign him as GM. After seeing his management of the Canucks, especially the bizarre manner he recently broadcast Chris Higgins being on the trade block. The guy seems delusional! He honestly things he can get a high draft pick or prospect for Chris Higgins? Think he has 1 goal on the year. Canucks are going about their rebuild with no sense of direction...and I couldn't be happier lol

To be fair, thats more Linden's doing than Benning. at a fan forum in the summer he said higgins was on the trade block and it got our to reports so the point where not the organization had to confirm and it was Gilles not Benning that signed Higgins in the first place. 

I prefer Treliving too but Benning is not totally to blame there and has done some nice things. Lots of solid young talent starting to emerge there some of which he drafed or acquired. 

Unless Higgins requested a trade or pissed off management with words spoken, it makes absolutely no sense to cut a player permanently from the line up, then announce to the world that player is available because he is too old for their team.  If Higgins had any value last week, he certainly doesn’t anymore.

Unless Higgins requested a trade or pissed off management with words spoken, it makes absolutely no sense to cut a player permanently from the line up, then announce to the world that player is available because he is too old for their team. If Higgins had any value last week, he certainly doesn’t anymore.

This is what I found bizarre, he essentially has taken Higgins off the team in hopes to audition him to potential suitors? If Higgins asked for a trade then fine but if he didn't why punish him while stripping away any trade value he may have had? Especially when he's implicitly asking for younger prospects and picks..for a guy who only has one goal at that?

I was hoping before Brian hired Treliving that they would take a shot at Mark Howe (Detroit) Larkin at 15? Not to mention all there other draft gems that he found!!

Treliving is a hard negotiator when he really doesn't have to be. I think he thinks he's still in Phoenix where every dollar was a gamble to that team!!

It's good to be prudent but a master scout he is not.

I was hoping before Brian hired Treliving that they would take a shot at Mark Howe (Detroit) Larkin at 15? Not to mention all there other draft gems that he found!!

Treliving is a hard negotiator when he really doesn't have to be. I think he thinks he's still in Phoenix where every dollar was a gamble to that team!!

If you have a good scouting dept (which I think we do now) the GM has no need to be a master scout. He only needs to be able to recognize talent and very talented.

Being prudent is going to be our biggest challenge for a couple of years now.

I was hoping before Brian hired Treliving that they would take a shot at Mark Howe (Detroit) Larkin at 15? Not to mention all there other draft gems that he found!! Treliving is a hard negotiator when he really doesn't have to be. I think he thinks he's still in Phoenix where every dollar was a gamble to that team!!It's good to be prudent but a master scout he is not.

Not that I would question the idea that Detroit drafts well, but mark Howe is their director of pro scouting and would have little to no input on the draft process.

In a cap world, being a hard negotiator is a necessity because every dollar is precious and if you start overpaying everyone you'll wind up in trouble in a hurry. I thought we still need to see Trelivings work to be able to comment on what type of scout he is but the results were solid in Phoenix and have been solid here too so far. Not to mention I think the whole idea of a master scout is a bit of a unicorn. Even the best scouts will statistically be wrong more than then are right if you criteria is who makes the NHL.

They aren't perfect but I think it's time the flames got more credit for their scouting. As it stands right now their star player and one of their best dman were 4th round picks, their captain was undrafted and a 5th round pick is on their top line. Need more yes but they are not as bad as some think.

I recall Burke saying a big part of the reason he hired BT was because he actively attends a ton of games at every level of play. He's not a scout but he's been known around the league to have a pulse on just about everything. Our scouting has greatly improved,I actually have faith in our scouts when it comes to drafting etc...That wasn't the case 5+ yrs ago. I believe Flames carry one of the largest scout staffs after years of being considered one of the leagues worst scouting and drafting teams. Our fortunes are starting to change and I think it was a massive overhaul they started once they committed to the rebuild.

• 1 month later...

Treliving on Shinkaruk; "I want to caution our fans that he's still a prospect and not there yet."

Feaster would have had him pencilled onto the top line and challenging for the Rocket. It's a refreshing change and, in my opinion, a far healthier environment for players to develop and thrive.

Treliving on Shinkaruk; "I want to caution our fans that he's still a prospect and not there yet."

Feaster would have had him pencilled onto the top line and challenging for the Rocket. It's a refreshing change and, in my opinion, a far healthier environment for players to develop and thrive.

Agreed. I think Treliving must have been pre warned by Burke. I know Burke has mentioend a few times he thinks fans in Calgary got oversold on their prospects and he seemed to make a point of trying to keep expectations in check and now Treliving is following suit. Really nice to see because not only does it sucks for fans it can mess with a prospect as we saw with Baertschi. 

Bravo Mr. Treliving on understanding the depth at center.  Moving Granlund for a winger makes sense in that Granlund didn't see himself moving to the wing as a long term fit.

On to bigger things.

• goalie options
  • getting value for pending UFA's
  • not re-signing Russell
  • moving Wideman
  • finding the right deals at TDL (for pending UFA's or players not on the long term plan)
  • evaluating pending RFA's as much as possible
  • finding a top 3 RW (may not be possible in trade or UFA signings)

Couldn’t be more pleased with the management of this team.  With the recent moves that have been made, the communication to the fans and overall team direction could not be more clear.  Bravo to BT and BB.

They did do very well in what was obvioulsy an extremely tight market. It's so comforting to know we can actually trust our management to make smart moves. I feel bad for Canuck fans right now, even the Oiler fan are starting to finally see more sound management. Glad to know we're already at the forefront of the rebuild of the Western Canadian teams

Not yet. But should be soon. But agreed, I'd rather undersell and be surprised than oversell and be disappointed. 

I can see Shink challenging for a spot next year. Not sure if he'll crack the lineup yet, but definitely 2nd line potential IN TIME.

Bravo Mr. Treliving on understanding the depth at center.  Moving Granlund for a winger makes sense in that Granlund didn't see himself moving to the wing as a long term fit.

On to bigger things.

• goalie options
  • getting value for pending UFA's - CHECK
  • not re-signing Russell - CHECK 
  • moving Wideman
  • finding the right deals at TDL (for pending UFA's or players not on the long term plan) - CHECK
  • evaluating pending RFA's as much as possible - KINDA CHECK
  • finding a top 3 RW (may not be possible in trade or UFA signings) - 

Four of 7 down.

Goalie and RW were going to have to wait till the off-season anyway. Wideman trade got killed by suspension since apparently one was in the works. Drat.