Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

Hudler has been consistently good since he came to Calgary. Playing with Johnny Hockey is the reason he had a huge point total this year. I think that will be the same for anyone who plays with the little water-bug from this point forward. My problem is that the top line seemed to stall in playoffs. They're collectively too small. Unless Monahan gains more weight in the off-season and starts getting a mean streak, I don't see them staying together necessarily. Sam Bennett is smaller than Monahan but you can already see the kid plays with a lot more grit and could end up a better fit as the top line centre with small stars like JH and Hudler.

I agree though, there is no point trading Hudler because we are not likely going to get anyone better back. He was the highest 5-on-5 scorer in the NHL this year. Ahead of everyone including Sidney Crosby!

• Like 1

I would actually rather see something like;

JH- mony- ?

?- bennet-hudler

Bouma-Backs- ?

?-Stajan-?

Im not sure which players you slot in those spots, but hudler would slot in nicely on bennets wing. Im thinking you find a power forward to play on monys wing, and then someone like colborne or ferland could slot in on bennets LW. Im assuming Jorris or Jones would fill the 3rd line RW position. That gives us a pretty potent top 6, and our bottom 6 would be pretty capable as well.

I am really curious to see what Treliving does. Will he stay the course? Maybe cash in on some of our overachievers by trading guys like Hudler and Wideman? Or will he fast track the rebuild by trading some of our picks and prospects? Or does he just stay pretty close to status quo by making small moves and letting the youth development bring us to the next level?

All three are defensible strategies. I am really curious to see what the Flames do.

I am very curious too but I liked the sound at the press conference. BT knows he is rebuilding, he is projecting forward as he should be. He mentioned they have several cap simulations that are up to five years out which is reassuring to me. 

My only comment here in general is that I know the Flames have had a great season and it is hard to do this or make comments like this so soon after a good season but tough choices are ahead here. 

There are only so many slots available. I would like to see Arnold at some point and more young players. I am all for Backlund but only at the right price. That is really the only contract that is worrying me. If there is anything in the realm of an overpay coming I am going to be pissed.

I am also fine with the Hudler trade suggestions, although I wait until the trade deadline next year. 

If the Flames do regress next year as many predict, there is going to be a powerful market for the Hudler / Wideman.

Does anyone think Backlund could get a low 1st round pick from someone?

If I am BT I keep a low profile. No big trades, no big UFA's. All about stocking the cupboard and building the fast big team he wants. I liked how he mentioned he liked the Jets progressions and if that is his model then I don't think we should be expecting any big trades. 

Personally I hope when he takes D men with all three 2nd round picks. 

I am very curious too but I liked the sound at the press conference. BT knows he is rebuilding, he is projecting forward as he should be. He mentioned they have several cap simulations that are up to five years out which is reassuring to me. 

My only comment here in general is that I know the Flames have had a great season and it is hard to do this or make comments like this so soon after a good season but tough choices are ahead here. 

There are only so many slots available. I would like to see Arnold at some point and more young players. I am all for Backlund but only at the right price. That is really the only contract that is worrying me. If there is anything in the realm of an overpay coming I am going to be pissed.

I am also fine with the Hudler trade suggestions, although I wait until the trade deadline next year. 

If the Flames do regress next year as many predict, there is going to be a powerful market for the Hudler / Wideman.

Does anyone think Backlund could get a low 1st round pick from someone?

If I am BT I keep a low profile. No big trades, no big UFA's. All about stocking the cupboard and building the fast big team he wants. I liked how he mentioned he liked the Jets progressions and if that is his model then I don't think we should be expecting any big trades. 

Personally I hope when he takes D men with all three 2nd round picks. 

His comments were somewhat telling: 

• Possession
  • Bigger but only with skill/speed
  • Bigger by itself was not the answer
  • Signing Gio, Bouma and Backlund
  • Carrying 3 goalies does not make sense, but didn't say which two he wanted to keep
  • Already had a idea of the guys he wants to move forward with, and those he doesn't
  • Defensive depth killed us
  • Wants T-Spoon to come in a "take" a spot away from someone
  • Seemed to be leaning towards re-signing Schlemko
  • No "final piece" at the expense of long-term goals will be hunted
  • 5-year cap plan for signings
  • Poirier and Arnold were mentioned, so they may get a real shot next year. 
  • Talked about how Arnold was derailed by the serious injury, as was T-Spoon's pre-season recovery that messed up his season start.

From that I took away the idea that guys like Bollig, Raymond, Potter and Diaz may not be Flames next season.  Lesser lights like Byron (possession) may get resigned, but would be more of a speciality player.  Engelland may end up being a 7th D.    

I'm scared when it comes to Draft day the only good Pick he did was Bennett a no brainer the rest well Im not a draft king type of person so will wait and see but the 2 second round picks didn't make me feel warm all over more of a chill down my back side. I have tried to follow the Gens but they don't have much to say about Smith there Goalie and Vancouvers pick are the front of web page. he has good points I think but I hope he is a power forward with defensive qualities Mason got hurt at end but seemed to carry his team. I know when it comes to pick it is a crap shoot for the most part but after the rdiculas pick feaster did for first over all I am worried BT will do something silly like that. You just never know

We do know he wanted to take on Cam Ward's salary for their pick.  Widely reported.

You are right that we can't evaluate what trades he didn't make, but the fact they weren't means he didn't take asking price. That is good to me.

I believe you can evaluate both. Remembering he started late, he was in a position to make moves without fully knowing what he had, or didnt have outside of inside consultation.

The fact he kept it "safe" is very telling of the good job he will do. How many times have GMs taken over teams and started cleaning house and gotten burned? he made smart moves and avoided making absolutely devastating ones

For example, he didnt jettison anybody, (eg: first thing Craig Button did was cut Martin St Louis), he made "safe" moves without knowing we had players who could rise and make those players obsolete . (setogouchi, to a minor degree, Raymond)

He knew our defense needed depth, and as much as we all bashed it, by the end of the year Engelland stepped up and showed flashes of what was seen in him.

Ramo was very unknown still, he gave us solid known depth in Hiller..

I believe now is when we find out more clearly what hes made of..hes seen all players in action .The scouts have had a year to work under his direction , these will be more picks in his mold.

Im excited to be honest , his biggest test now will be Ramo. if he walks and bites you (and its a very real possibility if he walks he goes straight North) its a bad thing ...his top grade will , i believe , come from unfortunately moving Hiller, and resigning Ramo.

Our exciting Rise will entice some free agents who wouldn't have looked at us at all last year 

At this point , im actually rather excited now to see the Full on Brad stamp start to take place

• Like 1

I believe you can evaluate both. Remembering he started late, he was in a position to make moves without fully knowing what he had, or didnt have outside of inside consultation.

The fact he kept it "safe" is very telling of the good job he will do. How many times have GMs taken over teams and started cleaning house and gotten burned? he made smart moves and avoided making absolutely devastating ones

For example, he didnt jettison anybody, (eg: first thing Craig Button did was cut Martin St Louis), he made "safe" moves without knowing we had players who could rise and make those players obsolete . (setogouchi, to a minor degree, Raymond)

He knew our defense needed depth, and as much as we all bashed it, by the end of the year Engelland stepped up and showed flashes of what was seen in him.

Ramo was very unknown still, he gave us solid known depth in Hiller..

I believe now is when we find out more clearly what hes made of..hes seen all players in action .The scouts have had a year to work under his direction , these will be more picks in his mold.

Im excited to be honest , his biggest test now will be Ramo. if he walks and bites you (and its a very real possibility if he walks he goes straight North) its a bad thing ...his top grade will , i believe , come from unfortunately moving Hiller, and resigning Ramo.

Our exciting Rise will entice some free agents who wouldn't have looked at us at all last year 

At this point , im actually rather excited now to see the Full on Brad stamp start to take place

The fact that Ortio is still rehabbing is very concerning to me.  July 1st will come without knowing if it affected his play going forward.

If Ramo is signed elsewhere, he would not be a good starting goalie option.  

I agree about your assessment of BT.  He is going to make minor mistakes (Raymond, Seto), but he also isn't spending 10m on one player.

I got no problem with any of Treliving's singings. In fact, bringing in veterans creates good competition with the young guys since they are fighting for jobs.

What I do have a problem with is when management lets their egos rule and refuse to sit a guy or send a guy down to the minors in favour of a younger player who has shown that he can do a better job.

I haven't seen that from BT. As far as I'm concerned he can sign whoever he wants as long as the right decisions are made when it comes to icing the lineup. 

The fact that Ortio is still rehabbing is very concerning to me.  July 1st will come without knowing if it affected his play going forward.

If Ramo is signed elsewhere, he would not be a good starting goalie option.  

I agree about your assessment of BT.  He is going to make minor mistakes (Raymond, Seto), but he also isn't spending 10m on one player.

Agreed.. in a perfect world we go into next season with all 3 into camp and let the players decide, as it is we are almost forced into handing Ortio the #2 spot.. im also hoping it comes into play that there is a window we can send Ortio down before waivers kick in , it just means he doesn't get a full shot in camp (12 days i believe?)

In a way you can hang this on BT.. he is the one that signed Ortio and didn't resign Ramo earlier, but we don't know if he tried or not. The quotes from Ramo yesterday make it sound like he's definitely wanting to see what RFA shows him, but at the same time not demanding a starting job , just the opportunity to win it 

My gut tells me he walks, the only way he doesnt is if we trade Hiller by draft day..but its a catch 22, you almost need to sign him first before you trade Hiller.. we're almost painted into a corner in having to let Ramo walk. Its potentially BT's first egg on his face because if Hiller/Ortio dont carry it next year , and Ramo shines for somebody , its a situation BT created

I wouldnt call Seto and Raymond "mistakes" , just insurance we ended up not needing ..  if Jooris and Johnny had not won spots (which was widely expected before camp), both those players would have made big upgrades over last years roster

I actually can see Raymond being another Stajan, he has speed, can be good defensively , and is younger less expensive version . Could make Stajan Expendable. Obviously hed need to learn the role, just as Stajan did

Agreed.. in a perfect world we go into next season with all 3 into camp and let the players decide, as it is we are almost forced into handing Ortio the #2 spot.. im also hoping it comes into play that there is a window we can send Ortio down before waivers kick in , it just means he doesn't get a full shot in camp (12 days i believe?)

In a way you can hang this on BT.. he is the one that signed Ortio and didn't resign Ramo earlier, but we don't know if he tried or not. The quotes from Ramo yesterday make it sound like he's definitely wanting to see what RFA shows him, but at the same time not demanding a starting job , just the opportunity to win it 

My gut tells me he walks, the only way he doesnt is if we trade Hiller by draft day..but its a catch 22, you almost need to sign him first before you trade Hiller.. we're almost painted into a corner in having to let Ramo walk. Its potentially BT's first egg on his face because if Hiller/Ortio dont carry it next year , and Ramo shines for somebody , its a situation BT created

I wouldnt call Seto and Raymond "mistakes" , just insurance we ended up not needing ..  if Jooris and Johnny had not won spots (which was widely expected before camp), both those players would have made big upgrades over last years roster

I actually can see Raymond being another Stajan, he has speed, can be good defensively , and is younger less expensive version . Could make Stajan Expendable. Obviously hed need to learn the role, just as Stajan did

Ramo is trying to get teams interested, if it comes to that.  He would be really happy to stay, and would probably even be open to a sign and trade deal.  FA for goalies can be great or not-great, depending or needs.  If they offerred him $3m+ he would likely take it, over stewing by the phone July 1st through whenever. 

Raymond was an overpayment for a 1-dimensional player, both in term and dollars.  Not a big deal, since he seemed like he could be a good fit at the time, but his entire body of work should have been looked at, not just a year in TO.

Seto was a guy everyone was avoiding.  Not a big deal because he was demoted rather quickly, but his presence likely accounted for at least one or two losses. 

I'm not sure where you saw any great examples of Raymond's "defensive" game.  I don't think he really has one, other than transition to offense.  His speed would be helpful on the forecheck, but really Ferland has more tools in that respect.

I'm scared when it comes to Draft day the only good Pick he did was Bennett a no brainer the rest well Im not a draft king type of person so will wait and see but the 2 second round picks didn't make me feel warm all over more of a chill down my back side. I have tried to follow the Gens but they don't have much to say about Smith there Goalie and Vancouvers pick are the front of web page. he has good points I think but I hope he is a power forward with defensive qualities Mason got hurt at end but seemed to carry his team. I know when it comes to pick it is a crap shoot for the most part but after the rdiculas pick feaster did for first over all I am worried BT will do something silly like that. You just never know

Feaster only announced picks he never selected them. He said many times he was no scout and would take his scouting depts opinion on who was best. 

Feaster insisted the scouts get his list down pat but,, his list was not a complete list of all players and ranked. It was just a list of Flames are interested in.... and ranked. That is how we ended up picking Jankowski as he was the highest on our list at the time.

I"m not suggesting at all that Hudler will drop off once he is signed. I don't really questions Hudler's motivation to be honest because he proved here when times were not very good that he still showed up motivated and ready to go it is not a questions of motivation. it's a question of what is it going to take to sign him and how smart it is.

For example, Mike Cammalleri was coming off a not very impressive year at the age of 32 (just like Hudler will be next year) and he got 5 year 25 million dollar deal. If its going to take a 5 year deal and probably close to 6 (when you consider Hudler's numbers to Cammy's) then I don't think that is smart at all. For me, I'm not even sure its smart to go to 4 years because at 4 years Hudler is probably worth in the 5.5 -6 mill range and at 35/26 years old I really have a hard time seeing Hudler being worth more then 5.

Absolutly TD if you can get Hudler for 3 years go for it and I'd even be prepared to give a little extra $ on the AAV to get that done but I think 3 years is the max I'm prepared to give and Hudler and camp may want more and that would be fine if they did. The debate for me has nothing to do with Hudler as a person it comes down to the fit within your cap and how much Hudler is worth. I don't think Hudler is the type of player you keep at all costs is I guess what I'm saying. That is reverserved for your Gios, Monahan, likely Gaudreau at this point, and hopefully Bennett. Hudler you retain at the right price and right contract only and if it exceeds your number you have to look at trading him. Of course you won't trade him for an upgrade, not likely anyway, but you could trade him and fill other holes on the roster.

I think 3 years at 5 mill is a reasonable expectation. For the first time in a long time the Flames are in a position of strength when it comes to contract negotiations. Calgary is once again a desirable destination.

A guy like Hudler who has found himself a big role on a team thats trending up may not want to mix things up much at this point in his career and hes gonna be hard pressed to find a better situation.

Id be surprised if he demanded top dollar's from the flames at this point in his career.

• 1 month later...

With his moves this offseason, I think it's fair to say that things like the Bollig and Engelland acquisitions last year were more Burke than Treliving. He was still getting his feet wet and probably wanted to do what his new boss told him.

No GM is perfect, and if Treliving doesn't sign Engelland the Flames don't make the playoffs so I fail to see how that was a bad move. He's still very solid depth for the Flames.

Bolig was a good acquisition too and I fimarly believe his experience with winning helped this team. Yes the Raymond deal sucks but i'll give him a past because not many banked on Gaudreau having the season he did, didn't bank on 16 goals from Bouma and Ferland being ready to quickly. No GM bats 1000 they all make mistakes.

I think that Bollig, Engelland, & Raymond were signed to be place holders until our prospects developed.

The unexpected progress of the young players made those signings redundant much sooner than management thought.

Correct.

Last year @ this time the Flames were an unhearalded bunch expected to be closer to the McDavid sweepstakes than even close to a playoff berth. They were also short of the floor so overpaid a few players like teams in that situation normaly do.

Gaudreau was expected (@ least by us on the board) to need @ least a year in the AHL to adjust if he ever made it. Monahan might/might not have the dreaded sophmore slump. Depth on the farm was an unknown.

The progress of the name kids & the unknowns (let's face it, few if any expected what Brodie did) showed that the cupboard was fuller than the paper roster led us to believe. Combine that with a "don't care what the talking heads say about us, we can win" attitude & it did make those signings redundant.

Adding Hamilton & Frolik makes us even better. If Sam Bennett can play like he did when he finally got to play it's another huge plus.

Especially with the 3 California teams looking weaker & the Canucks looking confused we are setting up well for the Pacific. I'd love to dump 1 or all of those place holder contracts but for now we can live with them.

No GM is perfect, and if Treliving doesn't sign Engelland the Flames don't make the playoffs so I fail to see how that was a bad move. He's still very solid depth for the Flames.

Bolig was a good acquisition too and I fimarly believe his experience with winning helped this team. Yes the Raymond deal sucks but i'll give him a past because not many banked on Gaudreau having the season he did, didn't bank on 16 goals from Bouma and Ferland being ready to quickly. No GM bats 1000 they all make mistakes.

I liked the Bollig deal as well and I think he's been a great fit.

Honestly, Treliving did not make any career defining moves all last season. Those off-season signings were done in haste to fill cap space and roster spots without knowing what he had in the Flames. He now knows and targeting Hamilton and Frolik demonstrates that. Great job so far.

I think last seasons free agency was a case of Treliving getting comfortable with the role and the team. But it was also him bringing on veteran shelter for what was supposed to be a tough rebuilding year.

I like that BT is looking long-term at the roster cost.  Every move he makes takes the cap in 5 years into account.  He has not overpaid for any player that will hurt us long-term.  Even guys like Engelland and Raymond can be lost for nothing, and it is still just FA signings that we are out, no picks to get them.  Getting a pick for a guy we were not going to keep was great.  In one sense, it shows committment to the player to retain and trade.  On the other hand, it is good asset management.

I like that BT is looking long-term at the roster cost.  Every move he makes takes the cap in 5 years into account.  He has not overpaid for any player that will hurt us long-term.  Even guys like Engelland and Raymond can be lost for nothing, and it is still just FA signings that we are out, no picks to get them.  Getting a pick for a guy we were not going to keep was great.  In one sense, it shows committment to the player to retain and trade.  On the other hand, it is good asset management.

Trading Glencross at the TDL last season showed us he's a realist, not a dreamer.  He understands where this team is in terms of its rebuild.  This is the final transition year before we start gunning for the Cup in 2 years and beyond.  Depending on how quickly our kids mature (especially Bennett and Ortio), we could start gunning for the Cup this season.

Trading Glencross at the TDL last season showed us he's a realist, not a dreamer.  He understands where this team is in terms of its rebuild.  This is the final transition year before we start gunning for the Cup in 2 years and beyond.  Depending on how quickly our kids mature (especially Bennett and Ortio), we could start gunning for the Cup this season.

GlenX was originally a "priority" to re-sign.  His failure to put up really good numbers, followed by him taking a backseat to the younger guys resulted in him questioning his future.  It was a bit of catch 22, since he couldn't put up career numbers in a lessor role, and could get a better role because he wasn't putting up big numbers.

The trade was the best reality check that both parties could do.  Did we need him to make the playoffs? Nope.  Was he good enough to get re-upped by the receiving team? Nope.

The Glencross trade was an excellent decision.

With or without Baertschi, he had been passed on the depth chart by the Flames prospects.

I appreciate everything he did for Calgary during his years here, but it was time to move on.

Props to Trevling for getting some decent value out of him before UFA.

Last offseason he added some decent depth contracts and turned out big because of injuries although I still think he over payed, but given our position at the end of that season he had to pay a little bit more to lure anyone here.

So far this offseason I would say Brad has done a tremendous job and used our playoff run as a position of strength to add some very solid and key pieces to ensure we stay competitive in the upcoming season.

Dougies contract is a beauty and its safe to say less then most everyone thought it would take to get him locked up. Backs contract is also great value, Im glad to see him walk away with a few more years in flames silks.

All in all I dont know how anyone could disagree with what management has done, the future looks promising!