Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Trade tree from the point he was traded from CGY:

Toffoli for Sharky + 2023 3rd 

Toffoli (50% retained) for a 2024 3rd (WPG) and a 2025 2nd

But it's actually even worse than that.

The 3rd was the return for Severson, right after he signed an 8 year dela there.

Am I crazy or does sound totally insane?

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Trade tree from the point he was traded from CGY:

Toffoli for Sharky + 2023 3rd 

Toffoli (50% retained) for a 2024 3rd (WPG) and a 2025 2nd

But it's actually even worse than that.

The 3rd was the return for Severson, right after he signed an 8 year dela there.

Am I crazy or does sound totally insane?

So I guess it works out as

Sharangovich and Severson for a 2 and 3?

The majority loved that deal for NJ. It's done a complete 180. Sharangovich might score 30 and has shown an abiliry to play centre. Homerun by Conroy in his first deal with the Flames.

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

So I guess it works out as

Sharangovich and Severson for a 2 and 3?

The majority loved that deal for NJ. It's done a complete 180. Sharangovich might score 30 and has shown an abiliry to play centre. Homerun by Conroy in his first deal with the Flames.

That's how I read it.  When I was looking it up, I admit I completely forgot about Severson being traded.  On further investigation, it was a sign and trade.  That's a lot of work for a 3rd rounder you immediately trade away.  Especially considering how good a player he had been.

How's the Russian district in Calgary? Ya know how cities have the different areas, like how Commercial Drive here in Van can be considered Little Italy.

maybe Edward's has a new in for the Russian Mafia? lol he lives abroad to "evade" taxes, so maybe he's got new investments...

With all the conditions on draft picks, what is now the ideal playoff picture / Flames position to maximize draft picks?

Unless the Flames go on an absolute tear, they likely don’t risk Montreal getting a shot at this year’s first (Need to be picking 20-32 for that condition).

2025 and 2026 1sts depend on next year’s results, so no idea about those yet.

If Dallas makes cup final, Flames add a 3rd in 2026.

If Vegas wins 1 round in playoffs, 3rd in 2025 becomes 2nd in 2025.

If Canucks make conference finals, 4th becomes a 3rd this year.

So we want Dallas to beat Vancouver in the conference finals, and Vegas to win 1 round. So no first round between any of the 3 lol.

• Like 1

I won't go nuts,

I will say my piece, as others have, and leave it there.

Conroy shoulda traded Markstrom.

He's made some good moves going into the tdl, and should be commended for them.  He most likely missed out on the most important one though.

My statement is obvious and I'm not the first to make it, but I said I'd weigh in after the tdl, and, doing it.

25 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I won't go nuts,

He's made some good moves going into the tdl, and should be commended for them.  He most likely missed out on the most important one though.

My statement is obvious and I'm not the first to make it, but I said I'd weigh in after the tdl, and, doing it.

Conroy did trade Marky, Marky accepted the trade, someone above Conroy Kiboshed the deal, so here we are.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My thoughts precisely.

Detroit stayed completely out of the shenanigans, I call that a win. I wonder if Yzerman just turned his phone off, other than sending Kostin to the Sharks where maybe he can play.

Now if only this stupid schedule would get them busy. They've barely played since the All Star break. Rhythm comes from real games, as we saw with TBag last night after they had a week off.

Chris Ilitch probably took Yzerman's phone away this week after watching Yzerman and his endless shenanigans last offseason. Arizona played a real game tonight so did the Flames last night. Some say it's an every day league. DET has some work to do if they want to claim a playoff spot. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

wouldn't Montreal take this years first if we do?

If Flames pick 20 or later, then MTL gets the pick.  Honestly, just let them take it.  I think we will be worse next season and the draft might be deeper next year.  Get that Monahan trade over and done with.

4 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Chris Ilitch probably took Yzerman's phone away this week after watching Yzerman and his endless shenanigans last offseason. Arizona played a real game tonight so did the Flames last night. Some say it's an every day league. DET has some work to do if they want to claim a playoff spot. 

Those were mainly good moves. Mainly just buying time getting Compher, Lyon and Gostisbehere and bottom of the roster depth. Then DeBrincat, Petry and Kane pretty much just fell in his lap as vets that chose Detroit so their deals are good value. I wasn't really in favour of any of them, but there are quite a few prospects needing dev time so needed bodies.

It's been a pleasantly surprising season so it's nice to see them competing for a WC. Larkin being out is definitely a huge hurdle as he drives the bus.

Husso being out long term hasn't helped give Lyon more relief, pains of a season.

Just competing for a playoff spot at TDL is an awesome change though, while not kidding themselves that they need to add at TDL to put them "over the top".

Getting in would be fun. If it's vs FLA it'll be Sutter's "waste" of a week but still a positive step. Larkin deserves to at least play a playoff game in his career. lol

But you're definitely right, they still have a lot of work ahead for the next coupla seasons. Hopefully in-house graduating prospects.

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I won't go nuts,

Based on his comments ... Fitzgerald wasn't that willing to pay for a new one

Looking at the UFA goalie list for this summer it's pretty weak.. and that's putting it mildly ..

This summer should be much better return and competitive...   If we were willing to take a run at Talbot..and as a last resort , Rittich.. I think we could move Marky for much more a haul return in a competitive market 

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Conroy did trade Marky, Marky accepted the trade, someone above Conroy Kiboshed the deal, so here we are.

Are you able to add to that, or are you basing this off of "reporting"?

Just curious if you do because IMO, this is not what happened so I don't think we should be speaking as if it's fact.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If Flames pick 20 or later, then MTL gets the pick.  Honestly, just let them take it.  I think we will be worse next season and the draft might be deeper next year.  Get that Monahan trade over and done with.

To clarify, Montreal gets the option to take the pick. It's not automatic and 100% their call to make.

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Looking at the UFA goalie list for this summer it's pretty weak.. and that's putting it mildly ..

This summer should be much better return and competitive...   If we were willing to take a run at Talbot..and as a last resort , Rittich.. I think we could move Marky for much more a haul return in a competitive market 

I’m not sure the return will be outstanding.

The UFA market for goalies is poor, yes. But it is likely that Ullmark and Saros are also available.

Two sides of the coin I suppose, Markstrom is the oldest of the three but is constantly controlled for two seasons. The other two are younger and cheaper, but need extensions.

I think it’s gonna be really tough to get a 1st. Markstrom gets to pick his destination as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Why Talbot or Rittich? Talbot is older than Marky and Rittich has been a 3rd string goalie at best the last few seasons. If thats the path in the offseason then target Nedejkkovic, Brossoit, or run with Vladar. I would also guess any deal for Marky would include a goalie coming back.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m not sure the return will be outstanding.

The UFA market for goalies is poor, yes. But it is likely that Ullmark and Saros are also available.

Two sides of the coin I suppose, Markstrom is the oldest of the three but is constantly controlled for two seasons. The other two are younger and cheaper, but need extensions.

I think it’s gonna be really tough to get a 1st. Markstrom gets to pick his destination as well.

I agree, this is why I wonder if the Flames over played their hand. The assumption is the goalie market will get better but i'm not so sure I see it the same way. There are going to be options and if the Devils thought Calgary's price was too high yesterday, why would the suddenly pay it in the summer?

I do think Ilya Sorokin is a pretty interesting free agent. 29, wasn't that long ago some thought he was amongst the better goalie in the league. 

Ullmark is really interesting. Sounds like there was a deal in place yesterday to go to LA and he said no Will he say no again in the summer or did he just not want to move at the deadline? 

What does Florida do with Knight? There were some suggestions they were open to moving him.

Lots of moving parts to the goalie market. Flames might have more options to negotiate with but i'm not so sure it's going to lead to the type of deal they are after. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Why Talbot or Rittich? Talbot is older than Marky and Rittich has been a 3rd string goalie at best the last few seasons. If thats the path in the offseason then target Nedejkkovic, Brossoit, or run with Vladar. I would also guess any deal for Marky would include a goalie coming back.

My "caveat" if you will on being willing to be ok with moving Markstrom.. is to put Wolf with a solid veteran goalie.. one who we are ok with getting the bulk of starts . But short term enough wolf can beat him out ..Talbot Fits that bill.. .. Rittich has always shown he can be strong in a low enough workload 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I agree, this is why I wonder if the Flames over played their hand. The assumption is the goalie market will get better but i'm not so sure I see it the same way. There are going to be options and if the Devils thought Calgary's price was too high yesterday, why would the suddenly pay it in the summer?

I do think Ilya Sorokin is a pretty interesting free agent. 29, wasn't that long ago some thought he was amongst the better goalie in the league. 

Ullmark is really interesting. Sounds like there was a deal in place yesterday to go to LA and he said no Will he say no again in the summer or did he just not want to move at the deadline? 

What does Florida do with Knight? There were some suggestions they were open to moving him.

Lots of moving parts to the goalie market. Flames might have more options to negotiate with but i'm not so sure it's going to lead to the type of deal they are after. 

All good points but consider this…

we don’t have to move Markstrom this summer, maybe keep him till next TDL? Teams will make their mistakes and then have to pay up to correct it next TDL.

the only issue is Markstrom could have a down year next year so it’s risky now matter what you do…but hard to fault Conroy, who’s to say the offer wasn’t a 3rd rounder and some low

level prospect? 

I will say if the offer was a first+ (maybe Holtz?) then that deal

aught to have been done.

again we don’t and won’t know for sure and TDL is over so all moot, now is the time to focus on what’s next Draft and UFA and next season up To TDL.  This is a tough one cause even if Marky plays well next season, then knowing this team they will run with him to UFA and get squat (low Return as a rental) and trade Vladar for very little this year…not ideal but I can see that happening 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

All good points ..but most are on the premise that the flames want to move him... They are willing to, obviously.. but I see nothing wrong with setting a price . Meet it, fine..dont, we're quite content to let him run our nets for the next 2 years 

After July 1, the focus shifts to the next 2 contestants on "will he sign or won't be" ..  mangiapane and Kuzmenko