2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I think the Huberdeau line is going to get caved in at 5 on 5.  Hopefully Huska plans lots of O zone starts for them. 

I was listening to Steinberg yesterday when they were comin' at us from the Purple Haberdashers Seafood Emporium and Wing Shack, and I was thinking the same thing. There is a helluva lotta defensive responsibility that's about to fall on Yegor Sharangovich.

Love.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I was listening to Steinberg yesterday when they were comin' at us from the Purple Haberdashers Seafood Emporium and Wing Shack, and I was thinking the same thing. There is a helluva lotta defensive responsibility that's about to fall on Yegor Sharangovich.

Love.

Ya know,

Many say Lindholm's numbers dropped, but I think that he concentrated more on D than on O because of his linemates. I don't think many take that into consideration. Hopefully Sharangovich is up for the task. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya know,

Many say Lindholm's numbers dropped, but I think that he concentrated more on D than on O because of his linemates. I don't think many take that into consideration. Hopefully Sharangovich is up for the task. 

Ya know..a weak D top line is not the end of the world .or unheard of .  Wasn't all that long ago McDavid and Draisaitl were one of the worst defensive lines in hockey... But they scored enough nobody noticed or cared..   they just have to be deadly enough to overcome it ..and the D and goalie on the ice have to ready for anything coming back their way 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the Huberdeau line is going to get caved in at 5 on 5.  Hopefully Huska plans lots of O zone starts for them. 

Yeah, that should be a big concern.  At the very least they should try to get them favorable starts.

But, that's going to be difficult to do on the road.

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Ya know..a weak D top line is not the end of the world .or unheard of .  Wasn't all that long ago McDavid and Draisaitl were one of the worst defensive lines in hockey... But they scored enough nobody noticed or cared..   they just have to be deadly enough to overcome it ..and the D and goalie on the ice have to ready for anything coming back their way 

I agree. I kind of think coaches have gotten lazy. Coach the team you have and stop rolling lines and expecting different results. Sure, the NHL isn't a Offence only league, but, if you have NHL offensive talents, find ways to use them properly, start them in positions to succeed, put them with guys who can make up for deficiencies.

Backlund is a guy who can start on D, Kadri should be too. Coach the team. 

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, that should be a big concern.  At the very least they should try to get them favorable starts.

But, that's going to be difficult to do on the road.

Just when there are D zone starts, don't have them on, unless they iced the puck? Who cares about their match ups. 

Nick Bonino asked to have his contract terminated instead of going to the AHL, so he will be a free agent tomorrow. Wonder if Calgary looks at him on a league minimum deal. There is a definite need at center. Though he might be looking for a playoff team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Just when there are D zone starts, don't have them on, unless they iced the puck? Who cares about their match ups. 

Sure they are bad away from the puck in the D-zone.  But we are talking about a line that doesn't have a natural center.  Start in the O-zone or N-zone and lose the draw.  Then you are defending against the rush.  Lindholm was a defensive C and the line still got caved in.

I think what Cross was suggesting is at least an analytical approach to building lines.  Or not be so married to a duo that you can't see anything else.  What does Kadri's line do well?  Just about everything.  Where does the top line struggle?  Is it competition or zone starts.  Who best compensates for Huberdeau defensive weaknesses?  To be honest, I am just reading into what he said and adding my perspective.  

What I do know is Oesterle was bad.  Gilbert and him combined were not good.

Pospisil replaced by Coronato didn't work yet.

Pairing Kylington with a scrub hasn't shown merit.

Top line has been getting caved in a lot.

4 line is barely keeping even (so far).

Rooney hasn't played well since he was sent down last year and his injury hasn't helped.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Nick Bonino asked to have his contract terminated instead of going to the AHL, so he will be a free agent tomorrow. Wonder if Calgary looks at him on a league minimum deal. There is a definite need at center. Though he might be looking for a playoff team.

Puljujavi signed with the PENS for a $800k.

That has as much sense as Bonino, but for different reasons.

Do we really need a 35 year old C added to the lineup because we are short at C?

41 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I'd have more interest in Kessel for the rest of the season.. brings more value 

15 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

2 years at $1m. Even if he is a 4th line energy guy that is still a good signing.

I have long been a Pospisil fan, he is been great so far this year and has brought some much needed energy to this team. 

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

nhl rookie scoring:

c. bedard: 39 GP, 15-18-33P

b. faber: 50 GP, 4-26-30P

m. rossi: 50 GP, 13-15-28P

a. fantilli: 49 GP, 12-15-27P

c. zary: 41 GP, 12-14-26P

Calder is Bedards to lose at this point. 

I believe Faber is a lock for runner-up as well.

When you look at games played though a case could certainly be made for Zary to be a finalist. 

34 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Calder is Bedards to lose at this point. 

I believe Faber is a lock for runner-up as well.

When you look at games played though a case could certainly be made for Zary to be a finalist. 

It will be difficult to justify a Calder win if he plays less than a half season.

He deserves it due to his impact to the team.

Faber's 31 points in 51 games is meh for totals, except he's a D.

4 goals over that span.

What's impressive is the TOI.

P/GP, only Bedard is standing alone.

Zary is #2 in that regards.  0.64 P/gp

The other guys are around 0.56 and on pace for less than 50.

I don't think Zary has any shot of winning the Calder. Don't see him making a larger impact than Bedard or Faber. 

Might be able to be one of the finalist but he's going to really need to crank it up the rest of the season. I think his game has leveled off quite a bit since the start, which makes since given what I thought he was going to be as an NHLer. 

Just now, cross16 said:

I don't think Zary has any shot of winning the Calder. Don't see him making a larger impact than Bedard or Faber. 

Might be able to be one of the finalist but he's going to really need to crank it up the rest of the season. I think his game has leveled off quite a bit since the start, which makes since given what I thought he was going to be as an NHLer. 

I could see him being a finalist. But finishing firmly in 3rd.

Would still be quite an accomplishment. Looks like he can be a top six regular for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

He's had some cold stretches, but is 3g 1a in his last 4.

He's better when Pospisil in in the lineup, as is the team overall.

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Does Weegar get any consideration for a Norris? 

In a word, no.

He's only leading in one category - goals.

Well back in +/-.

He's 32 points back of Hughes in scoring and 28 from Makar.

Most of that is PP points, but even so.

You have to be 1 or 2 in scoring by D to have a chance.

11 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

Schwindt got sent down. If Pelts is off for a few games is Coronato coming back up and filling his spot?

Kind of an odd time to send him down.

He hasn't been needed since Feb. 3rd when Rooney came back.

There is no games until 15th so no reason to keep him up and pay him to practice.

If they need an extra on Thursday, they will call him up or someone else.

It's not helping Coronato to go up and down.

He should be top 9, but he pushes out nobody right now.

32 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

Schwindt got sent down. If Pelts is off for a few games is Coronato coming back up and filling his spot?

Kind of an odd time to send him down.

I would say now is as good of time as any for the team to carry less bodies if they have a guy sitting that doesn't require waivers.  They have a pretty light schedule and don't play a game out of province until March 7th and the Wranglers don't leave the country until the same week.  For the Wranglers sake I hope they get Wolf back soon because Dansk is not giving them any hope.